Does Islam Require Forced Conversions?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Does islam require forced conversions?
Does islam require forced conversions?
First Page 2 3 ... 20 21 22 ... 23 24 25
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2014-09-24 08:44:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
German is no more difficult to learn than any other language, once you learn the basics and general form.

Hell, you can trace the same basic form and function to almost every other modern language in existence.

Know conversational French? Easy enough to pick up Conversational Japanese.

Unless you have a learning disability.
Yeah, Japanese has the same sounds as French, so while we may not have their accent, we can very easily understand it. Same syllabes etc, it's pretty funny actually and that's why you have so many French people going to Jaapan for studies, or work.

I worked in a Japanese company and would speak my very limited Japanese with the Japanese native there, it was fun.
I found that it wasn't just the same syllables, but the same syntax, and the formula for which it is used.

Feminine et Masculine ways of speaking.

Feminine versions of words and masculine versions.

"Watashi wa" is usually used by females (and foreigners who don't know better), and "Ore wa" is used primarily by men.

Immersion into the culture, and sometimes reading historical words and their modern counterparts, can create different dialects, or allow you to blend in and pick up more conversational language.
Oh yeah, I never think of that but it's true that English doesn't have that.

A table is a woman, a door is a woman, a bed is a man. I believe that some language have it different, so you can be tricked when learning them (German? I think they see things as woman by default whereas in French it's a man by default).
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-09-24 08:45:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
German is no more difficult to learn than any other language
I disagree. Your first language influences how hard the others are going to be to learn. And then there's obviously certain languages with much more complex grammar.

For example, for us in italians german is a difficult language to learn, while french is easy despite having a higher complexity.
I agree.

Russian, to me, is much easier than Danish even though it uses a more complicated grammar system.

But Russian is phonetic and Danish is not. Plus for such a small country there is a large variance in accents and pronunciations.

Video norwegians making fun of Danish:
YouTube Video Placeholder
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2014-09-24 08:46:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
I disagree. Your first language influences how hard the others are going to be to learn. And then there's obviously certain languages with much more complex grammar.

For example, for us in italians german is a difficult language to learn, while french is easy despite having a higher complexity.
French = Italian, really.

As long as you manage to get over stuff like lavare = travailler, you're fine, most of it is very similar. Not sure how it's more complex, Italian seemed 1:1 to me.

German is only difficult when it comes to the actual pronounciation and identifying the word. I'm still at the beginning but it's really tough. And the sounds are so far from French in many situations, argh. But German is worth it/fun in the end, so it's fine.
You didn't get what I meant. French in itself is a more complex language than german, the grammar has more rules and more nuances. However it is easy for an italian, that was my point. Thus your first language shapes the difficulty in the learning curve.
Oh, yeah, makes sense.

They are actually arguing over removing a lot of those rules, as many of them are either outdated or just a chore for no reason. It's overcomplicated because there this "bad elitism" vibe in those who make them, just like our school system.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-24 08:49:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Read the rest of it.

"Once you learn the basics", which are really not that difficult.

By virtue of complexity, Japanese is considered to be the most complex, yet is extremely similar once the basics are well founded.

The variations on complexity of languages differs in identifying the different words, and/or the pronunciation of those words.

One of the best tricks to learning another language, particularly from an English standpoint as your primary, is to do what you can to account for cultural differences, and by learning not to force the rules of English onto other languages, by dropping those rules entirely.

The other trick, is to find a place, and other people to verbally practice and test yourself, which is why a lot of the more popular, and well respected guides, encourage you to immerse yourself, and speak it as often as possible.

I have roughly 7 books I bought on Japanese, and only 1 of them is worth the money I paid for it. The rest may as well be a book of common phrases meant for tourists who don't know jack.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-09-24 08:50:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Refreshazure said: »
My intelligent doesn't have anything to do with my analysis of what is actually correct

I have no intention of claiming I am smart therefore everything I say is correct.

everything I say has been backed by weeks and weeks of research.
What does your "weeks of weeks of research" have anything to do with the veracity of what you say?
Quality and documentation of sources says far more than duration.

Asura.Refreshazure said: »
anyone can say evolution is true as long as they think about it but it takes a special kind someone in order to backup creationism.
Wait what? I don't want you thinking that evolution is true because it logically makes sense.
I want to thinking that the theory of evolution best matches the evidence that we see, as determined by empirical studies.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-24 09:04:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Read the rest of it.
I did and I disagreed.

And japanese is not complex at all, the most it has is the difference between formal and informal speech. Complexity of japanese is all in writing like all other asian languages for us in the west. The grammar is very simple.

I've studied many languages and the difficulty of the new languages is always influenced by the oens you already learned. There's no exception.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2014-09-24 09:15:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Read the rest of it.
I did and I disagreed.

And japanese is not complex at all, the most it has is the difference between formal and informal speech. Complexity of japanese is all in writing like all other asian languages for us in the west. The grammar is very simple.

I've studied many languages and the difficulty of the new languages is always influenced by the oens you already learned. There's no exception.

But, yes, it's only logical, when you learn a new language you'll be struck by the similarities with another language already learned which will make it easier to learn said new language.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-09-24 09:57:59
Link | Quote | Reply

And I thought I posted too much...

Islam the eternal struggle !

[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-24 10:26:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dubai said: »
blah blah, no true Muslim, blah blah
mmhmm
By Jetackuu 2014-09-24 10:36:58
Link | Quote | Reply

As for the learning things as an adult, and really hate to side with RT on this a bit but I'm rather sure it's been proven that learning certain things like language is best done at an early age, and the earlier the better. I haven't read fully into why that is, but I've read/heard it countless times, I guess I should look into if it's actually true.

I know personally I struggle with learning another language, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly due to my sheer lazyness and nothing more, as most things come easy to me, and I've rarely ever had to try at anything and when I do I like to just say "*** it." I'm working on it, but when one doesn't realize they've been doing it for years, it takes awhile to get out of the pattern. If one could only go back in time and redo like half their education, I know I'd do a lot of things very differently. On a side note, I do often read about some others educational experiences on here and how vastly they are different, but one can either sit there and *** at that, or attempt to further themselves with what they know works. There's different teaching and learning methods, and they work differently for different people.

I will admit the thought of sending my child to the public education system gives me the willies as she's been showing signs of advanced intelligence for some time now. I'm personally looking into home based schooling, and probably private tutors for language subjects, as I can do math/science/history fine, and her Mom can do crap like art, but she's worse than I am at language.

But that's my take, and this thread is full of "wat.jpg."
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-24 10:43:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think anyone denied that. Learning an additional language as a child empowers the linguistic areas of the brain, thus making it easier for future languages. During childhood the brain is a sponge and easily absorbs anything..as you grow up you can say the brain gets "dry" instead more and more over time.
Obviously not impossible to learn new things as an adult, but it's much harder, doesn't matter how smart you are - you were still better as a child.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-24 10:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

what Seha said... that's some weird timing girl, by the time I refresh the page...
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-24 10:48:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm always there.
Watching.
Ready to state my opinion like it matters.

*islamic cry* lululululululu!
By Jetackuu 2014-09-24 10:51:14
Link | Quote | Reply

my opinion being ignored never bothered me anyway

?
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2014-09-24 10:52:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Peak is at 16, which is when the IQ tests are made. If you take a test later, you have to take a specific adult test.

Maybe it's the same age after which learning a language becomes more difficult? I experienced the opposite myself, but that's also mainly due to interest.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-24 10:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I think up to when the brain is still developing(so around 21-23). Decline begins aroud 28-29 I think, it's been a long time since I studied development psychology.

edit: my test was taken when I was 15
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-24 10:55:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Side note: I've always wanted to learn writing in Arabic, that ***is beautiful on paper. Too lazy to give a *** about learning a language though, ill wait for Google Universal Translators a la Star Trek.

Just look at its elegant dots and curves man. Beautiful ***.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2014-09-24 10:56:03
Link | Quote | Reply

All right, few more years to learn German and Russian before sinking.
By volkom 2014-09-24 10:56:16
Link | Quote | Reply

a large part to learning a second language is exposure. A lot of people in the states try to learn a second language but they hardly practice it in their free time. They're constantly surrounding themselves with their native language due to family,job,location etc. There's little to no immersion
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-09-24 10:56:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm always there.
Watching.

Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-24 10:57:17
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
a large part to learning a second language is exposure. A lot of people in the states try to learn a second language but they hardly practice it in their free time. They're constantly surrounding themselves with their native language due to family,job,location etc. There's little to no immersion

Bingo, ohoho. Drop me in the country with *** knowledge and if I want to buy some ***from a store I'm gonna babelfish all the things. Laugh it up shopkeep, I'm still getting my bread, eggs and milk.
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-24 10:58:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm always there.
Watching.

Do you see how this can be offensive towards muslims/arabs?
Or are you that racist?
By Jetackuu 2014-09-24 10:59:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd personally like to know Latin, Japanese and Spanish, but I definitely don't have the discipline to learn them, I'll be taking Spanish over Japanese (due to well katakana isn't a cakewalk) for school though, as well if I can get beyond my current level of counting numbers, insulting one's mother and saying I don't speak Spanish for it, then so be it.

volkom said: »

yup.
By volkom 2014-09-24 11:00:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Maldini said: »
I'm always there.
Watching.

Or are you that racist?
i'm sorry~ but team america just came to mind
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-24 11:01:51
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as I know it's a cry of joy, how's that offensive?

And yeah, obviously it's easier to learn by being on the spot than in a classroom. However movies, shows, etc can help greatly.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-24 11:02:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Maldini said: »
I'm always there.
Watching.

Or are you that racist?

Offensive or not? You decide.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-24 11:03:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
katakana isn't a cakewalk
Katakana and Hiragana are very easy to learn, just repeat some pages on a notebook you'll be done pretty soon.

Kanji though...
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 20 21 22 ... 23 24 25