Torn Between Iota and Omega ring
First Page 2
 Seraph.Yenyoju
Server: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Yenyoju
By Seraph.Yenyoju 2009-07-16 05:29:36
Link | Quote | Reply

My dilema is I don't know which i should get first.

Which would you/did you get first from Eihnerjar?

I have jobs which could benefit from either one I choose : Rdm and Blm for the Omega and Dnc and Thf for the Iota.

I only occasionally play rdm or Blm really for ls events when needed, but for the most part I Play Thf and Dnc.

It just feels like a crime as i only seem to read good things about omega and not much for Iota.

I don't have thje TAU ring (and if i did, it would be the rng acc/att one for my rng anyway) and I'm thinking Iota + raja's would be a nice pair, time to ditch the ecphoria ring which the iota would replace.

But then again, my blm and rdm don't really have any nice rings bar +4int / Mnd ones... so I don't know

Please keep any replies on the subject not what other rings would work better besides these, thanks :)
 Asura.Zekky
Server: Asura
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-07-16 05:51:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Know what I'd do? Pick the ring that would benefit you the best until you get another 15,000 amps to get the other that you want so much. And by benefit I mean the ring that you feel you want for yourself and then for your LS. I was torn between getting Ritter Gorget or Omega Ring myself when I first did Einherjar and got my 15k amps and I ended up picking Ritter Gorget because I love my PLD. I love my RDM just as much but I knew the gorget would benefit myself and what I could do for my LS during events even more. Then I ended up getting Omega a couple weeks later. =)

And you'll notice a difference with the Omega Ring by the way. So perhaps that would be great for your mage jobs since you've already got a rajas for your DD jobs. But don't think your choice is a bad one. Both rings are very great rings and serve different things. Just pick the one you want the most. =)
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2009-07-16 06:52:20
Link | Quote | Reply

i went with omega. the spell power on that is amazing. you dont have to struggle between whether para sticks or whethe it has the increased mind to increase proc. it really combines anything you could wear in that slot for rdm nicely.

however, if iota ring had 3 str....... then it would be a dilemma.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-07-16 07:02:51
Link | Quote | Reply

If you play your DNC and THF a lot more than RDM or BLM, why get Omega Ring? Gear up your most played jobs better, so you can get your less played jobs further ahead without pulling everyone back.

E.g.

My BLM has decent gear, decent merits, etc, so I go to most events as BLM or WHM. (WHM has decent gear, but lacking merits). I feel that both are more useful in general than my BRD and my WAR, but.. if I was told to go BRD or WAR, I would do. However, I know my BLM will outperform my WAR on almost anything, and chances are if it won't, I'll go WHM or BRD for the extra support unless we're in dire need of DD.

So I'll upgrade in a fairly set order, BLM >> BRD >> WHM >> SAM/NIN >> WAR. My WHM is pretty set, gearwise, I'm missing a few pieces, but other than that I'd like to think it's almost done. My BLM is missing a lot that I want, I even made a 25M shopping list >_> My BRD is next in line for upgrades, even though I'm starting to get resources together for Gjallarhorn, there's a lot more it could get beforehand.

Now, you're probably asking "Why are you upgrading your BRD's gear before you finish your WHM, if you use your WHM more?".. Well, my BRD is mostly used (outside of events), for lowman NM's, and as we all know, a BRD's gear is one of the single most important things when you're fighting a NM. The difference between Elegy landing and not landing could mean the difference between Success and Failure sometimes.

Similarly with your predicament. If you rarely use your RDM or BLM for anything "important", then get your THF and/or DNC built up first. That way, your more "useful" or "well used" jobs are even better, making success even more likely!

Either way, they're both really great rings and as such, you can't really go wrong with either choice.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-16 07:24:14
Link | Quote | Reply

get both *shrug*
 Lakshmi.Avinne
Server: Lakshmi
user: Avinne
By Lakshmi.Avinne 2009-07-16 07:44:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Gear the jobs you play the most. :) There, easy!
 Asura.Eeek
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-07-16 08:07:13
Link | Quote | Reply

BLM and RDM would see a bigger boost from Omega's Ring than THF and DNC would ever see from Iota's Ring. If your DD jobs were 2-handers, I think it'd be a tougher choice. You can't buy something like an Omega's Ring off the AH, but for 1-hander DDs, you can buy relatively inexpensive rings off the AH which would perform better than an Iota Ring.

That being said, do whatever you think you'll enjoy most. There's no sense in taking an Omega Ring if you dislike the jobs that would use it. ;)
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2009-07-16 08:16:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Eeek said:
You can't buy something like an Omega's Ring off the AH, but for DDs, you can buy relatively inexpensive rings off the AH which would perform better than an Iota Ring.
 Shiva.Cainen
Server: Shiva
user: Jernau
By Shiva.Cainen 2009-07-16 08:23:57
Link | Quote | Reply

5-stat rings are far better than Omega for any spell where that stat is a modifier and they can be bought on the AH so I would never waste points on an Omega.

If you're poor and just trying to get by with bare-minimum gear on a job you rarely play then maybe it's justifiable... maybe.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-07-16 08:26:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say despite Iota being pretty snazzy and all, I don't think it brings to the table what Omega does. Not much else to say outside of what's already been said so far. D;
 Asura.Zekky
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-07-16 08:45:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cainen said:
5-stat rings are far better than Omega for any spell where that stat is a modifier and they can be bought on the AH so I would never waste points on an Omega.

If you're poor and just trying to get by with bare-minimum gear on a job you rarely play then maybe it's justifiable... maybe.

Just no. No. No, no. No.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
Server: Fairy
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-16 08:55:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Cainen said:

What?

Also, Omega pretty much does make a bigger difference than Iota. Just get Iota afterwards.
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-07-16 08:56:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Cainen said:

Omega ring offers the highest level of magical accuracy in the game @ 4.5-6 (depending on the target's stats).

The closest is Balrahn's Ring @ 4, but that offers no stats at all, only accuracy.

So for any spell cast on a target that needs accuracy then Omega is the best.

Sure for pure damage get two +5INT rings but you will lose out on accuracy.

Iota ring is nice (and looks good for SATA), but it can be replaced. For 1 handers (both your jobs) you will only get 4-5 accuracy (depending on your base dex) which is easily beaten/matched by a snipers ring.

So I would argue that Omega ring is a bigger buff to the jobs that use it than the Iota ring. Obviously if you go months between using a mage job then not getting omega right now is ok. Or if you only use your mage jobs for meriting and not resistive targets then you may not need it at all.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2009-07-16 09:00:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Zekky said:
Cainen said:

Just no. No. No, no. No.

^this

Its pretty rude to say something as presumptuous as that. If someone wears hale ring/omega that provides them enough macc and int to take off some enfeebling/elemental magic skill from another slot. You could now sub in goliard/relic/morrigan/errant etc. on feet to make up far more than the mnd on the 5 stat rings alone offers.
You could have the 130+ STR sams practicing your logic and whiffing on 30%+ of their weapon skills. Everything in this game is balance and you cant make a blanket statement for ANY situation or player. A 2 handed damage dealer will not have the same accuracy in a troll, colibri, or mamool camp anymore than this blm/rdm will have the need for the same gear in flan camp or in Dynamis.

congrats on increasing your level cap to 65 though ^^

lurk moar.
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-07-16 09:11:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Hale ring... Seriously?

Omega goes with either:
* Snow for nuking (or other 5INT)
* Balrahn's for Dark magic (where INT has little effect) or Static effect enfeebles (where accuracy is key)
* Heavens Ring or Nereid Ring for BRD Debuffs
* Aqua for mind enfeebles on resistive targets

For stoneskin use two 5 MND rings.
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-16 09:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Aye, Omega is a very good ring, but you lost most of your credibility when you said Hale ring Ash. There's not a single spell in the whole game that uses both INT and MND, so no half-decent mage would ever consider using hale ring for anything, except possibly ballista/brenner where you can't change equipment (or does that only apply to visible equipment?).
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2009-07-16 09:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I think omega does more for blm & rdm, than iota does for thf & dnc.
 Asura.Celene
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-07-16 09:29:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I use a Hale Ring, and it's good for people on a budget. Of course there are better rings out there, but if you cannot afford anything else, it's a good piece to tie you over until you get from point A to point B; not everyone can dump out 600K for those 74 rings.

So, I wouldn't shun it out totally. ;|
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2009-07-16 09:33:19
Link | Quote | Reply

i was refering to using hale instead of genius or serenity due to Cainen being 62. I personally didnt buy the extra rings for that level range.
Also, i may be mistaken but doesnt INT still affect the chance for landing debuffs even for whm's mind based debuffs like para? For anything i come rdm as i normally have a full mind build for elemental sealing the debuffs on anything i normally cant stick the spells to (Dark Ixion esp)
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-07-16 09:37:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Omega ring is a little bit like the Enfeebling Earing. You equip it and just vary the equipment around it to fit what you are doing.

But unlike the Enfeebling earring, there are times you would want to take the Omega ring off (when accuracy isn't needed).

It isn't quite the ultimate mage ring, but it's about as good as it gets for a lot of situations.

Who has the stones to try and augment a Snow ring for +X Magic accuracy?

Edit:
Ashman said:

Also, i may be mistaken but doesnt INT still affect the chance for landing debuffs even for whm's mind based debuffs like para?

No, its either MND or INT. MND for para, slow, silence etc and INT for sleep, dispel, gravity etc.

There is never any need for a hybrid build of INT and MND, just that Omega happens to have both makes it a more complete ring.

Edit 2:
I think there is 1-2 BLU mage spells that are modded by both MND and INT (but I maybe wrong)
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-07-16 09:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I was torn between getting Iota and Ritter gorget. Because the ls I go to Eihnerjar with always wants me to go WAR, I went with Iota first. Now I'm 1k away from ritter.

So basically I chose the job I go to Eihnerjar first, because it's that group that's getting you the points.

I TP in Iota and Ulthalam's Ring then macro in one or two ruby rings depending on if I use steel cyclone (1 ruby) or Raging Rush (2 rubys). The loss of -3 acc and -3 dex when using 2 rubys doesn't affect raging rush that much, but having STR and VIT with steel cyclone I notice a much bigger difference, obviously cause its vit and str modded. The little loss of acc and dex on multi hit ws's isn't much on an issue. This is all of course with Great Axe.

If I go /nin and dual wield, man eater and joyeuse, Iota definitely makes a difference with rampage. Although I never tried sniper's ring. I rarely dual wield, only Nyzle really.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-07-16 09:38:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ashman said:

however, if iota ring had 3 str....... then it would be a dilemma.

That would be hot if it had str too!
 Asura.Celene
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-07-16 09:43:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ashman said:
Also, i may be mistaken but doesnt INT still affect the chance for landing debuffs even for whm's mind based debuffs like para?

INT does nothing for MND based enfeebs such as paralyze. INT would be for something more like sleep. There is no spell that I know of that requires both MND and INT, unless there is some whacky BLU spell that does.
 Shiva.Cainen
By Shiva.Cainen 2009-07-16 09:47:56
Link | Quote | Reply

3 MACC is not going to do much of anything for the accuracy of a level 75 even if you go for the highly optimistic position of assuming it's equal to 3 skill. In practice it's more like 1.5 or so. Either way, boosting your comparative stat is going to do more to help resists at end-game than that much skill.

Macc obviously does nothing for potency as well.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-07-16 09:58:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Cainen said:
3 MACC is not going to do much of anything for the accuracy of a level 75 even if you go for the highly optimistic position of assuming it's equal to 3 skill. In practice it's more like 1.5 or so. Either way, boosting your comparative stat is going to do more to help resists at end-game than that much skill.

Macc obviously does nothing for potency as well.

Hate to break this to you.. 1 skill at 75 is worth less than 1 MAcc at 75.

In other words, +3MAcc is better than +3Skill. Why?

Accuracy's have been determined to,

<=200 skill: 1 Skill = 1 Acc/MAcc
>200 skill: 1 Skill = 0.9 Acc/Macc

So, if I had 200 skill, I'd have 200Acc. 201 skill however, would result in 200.9 Acc.

Quote:
Either way, boosting your comparative stat is going to do more to help resists at end-game than that much skill.

Now.. I can't say too much for Enfeebling magic, because BLM's Enfeebling Magic just generally sucks >.>

The "optimum" build for Elemental Magic however, has been proven to be the "320/120 build".

320 Skill/Magic Accuracy + 120INT.

This will give you one of the best builds for landing nukes unresisted on HNM.

I highly recommend checking this link. Along with reading more into the research this guy did.
[+]
 Shiva.Cainen
By Shiva.Cainen 2009-07-16 10:04:24
Link | Quote | Reply

You're making assumptions based on melee stats.

I would in turn suggest you read the original jp tests Kanican based his work on which failed to find evidence for a 1skill:1MACC ratio (they did suggest using 1:1 as a working approximation due to the small amounts of MACC gear actually available which is why subsequent articles do so).
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2009-07-16 10:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Celene said:
Ashman said:

INT does nothing for MND based enfeebs such as paralyze. INT would be for something more like sleep. There is no spell that I know of that requires both MND and INT, unless there is some whacky BLU spell that does.

Really? So does MND affect the chance to land for para AND the proc rate or is the chace to land based solely on enfeebling skill?

To OP: sorry for the massive derail but this is pertinent to my interests :<
 Gilgamesh.Thedreamer
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Thedreamer 2009-07-16 10:20:27
Link | Quote | Reply

a dilem between a MELEE ring and a MAGE ring ?...

the only way to hesitate on this would be for BLU, if not its only ridiculous...
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-07-16 10:22:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ashman said:
Celene said:
Ashman said:

Really? So does MND affect the chance to land for para AND the proc rate or is the chace to land based solely on enfeebling skill?

To OP: sorry for the massive derail but this is pertinent to my interests :<

Int and Mnd affect Magic Accuracy for their various spells as well as potency.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2009-07-16 10:24:29
Link | Quote | Reply

/bow
First Page 2