First Page 2 3
 Quetzalcoatl.Courtney
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Courtney2
By Quetzalcoatl.Courtney 2013-08-13 03:42:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Howdy,

I'm an old end game player who was a RDM in a previous life, looking for a bit of updated stunning advice.

I've turned into a SCH, working on a fast cast set. Only part of the way there, but working on it:

http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/307808

31% Fast Cast (gear) at the moment, but with only 3% haste. I can improve it by a few % fairly readily (if not cheaply!) but I'm not sure whether it's my problem or not.

With Alacrity I'm still not hitting any of the targetted abilities in Morimar (Whirling Inferno on the raptor, Calcifying Mist on the Peiste, Tetsudo Tremor on the turtle etc). I feel like I'm hitting the macro as fast as I'm seeing the message, but I'm too slow, either in seeing the message, or in casting.

I'm happy with my chat filters (pretty much everthing filtered except "Special Actions started on/by" You/party/allies/foes). Don't see too much else, and messages not moving too fast.

Effects filtering: Shadows off, effects off, minimum character models, clipping plane minimum, shadows off, animation rate minimum. All effects filtered except Monster->. I don't feel like I'm getting much lag (decent cable connection as well).

I haven't messed much with any windower settings though, (someone mentioned blink me not as helping with lag while stunning) and windower resolution is 1680x1050 currently. Using a standard stnpc macro with the cursor sitting on the mob waiting for the ability to be used.

Sooo,
Is my gear just not good enough? (If so what total stats should I need?)
Is there anything more I should be doing to reduce latency?
Or do I just suck?

Can probably work it out in time, but some input in which way I should be jumping would be great.

(As a test I tried stunning normal mobs in Ceizak... Could stun all of the cricket moves and couldn't stun any of the bee moves >< )
By failacious 2013-08-13 04:00:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Stunning in delve is 95% skill/reaction 5% gear. Too many people think that having a good stun set means they are capable of stunning these zones and that's why you see so many people struggling.

All the abilities you mentioned are quite fast and the only "reliable" way to stun them is by animation stun. That means you would have to stun everything basically. You can still chat log stun with even battlemon (it makes the text appear faster) but you'll end up missing on an occasion those faster tp moves. A good idea of moves you have a higher chance missing that you probably should attempt to stun are:

Morimor:
Calcifying Mist - Peiste
Testudo Tremor - Turtle

Ceizak:
Orthopterror - Chapuli
Proboscis - Tax'et (absorbs 1 attribute)

Foret:
Venom Show - Krab*
Abdominal Belch - Orobon (you'll always miss Deathgnash too)

To be honest though the moves you are saying you are missing aren't going to cost the run. Is your group coming down on you because of that? All that matters is the boss stunning in Morimor, which you dont mention.

If you ARE struggling with Tojil and/or other bosses I highly recommend you switch to animation stunning. The only flaws to animation stunning are stunning a spell (not a huge deal unless you try and stun diaga/holy and end up being too slow causing the spell to go off, a short stun duration followed by a tp move that you wont be able to use charge and stun, this is only if you are solo stunning while 1hr is up. A remedy to this is having a second stunner who isn't sitting on their hands to cover you) and accidently stunning when you see the drg pet do a breath attack (happens more than you'll know >.<;;)

I've done each and every way and that's the one I'm most comfortable with and have seen others have most success with.

Also for other groups reading this, I cant emphasize enough. Prioritize your sch's. If they cannot stun, you cannot win. Seen too many groups take average sch but top DD only to fail because of bad stunning. Best player =/= best stunner also. Stable computer/connection required etc etc.
[+]
 Odin.Brozzzz
Server: Odin
user: Brozzzz
By Odin.Brozzzz 2013-08-13 04:21:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Courtney said: »
Sooo,
Is my gear just not good enough? (If so what total stats should I need?)
Some notable changes in your gear set from a quick glance would be the following:

Body -> Hedera Cotehardie or Anhur Robe
Feet -> Argute Loafers +2 (This is a big help for alacrity recast and should be picked up asap)
Earrings -> Lifestorm / Psystorm (The loquacious fast cast is so minimal it isn't needed compared the magic accuracy lost)
Grip -> Memphitis Grip
Neck -> Orunmila's Torque / Jeweled Collar (with Fast Cast augment) / Dark Torque
Rings -> Some Macc rings / prolix ring (if you can't find a 2nd macc ring)
(I know you listed a "Fast Cast" set, but those are general changes I'd make for a Stun set)

Is there anything more I should be doing to reduce latency?
The only thing I can think of with your said conditions would be Battlemod (windower addon). It allows the moves to appear in the chat log without the built in game delay to match the animation with the chat log. This will allow an extra second or so for the "stun window" which might make it easier for you.

Or do I just suck?
Stunning moves like Calcifying Mist for a beginning stunner is not easy. You need to get a feel for the delay and like anything, it requires practice. After some time, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.
 Phoenix.Bestsapper
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Bestsapper 2013-08-13 05:18:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't use battlemod, and I'm not going to add much other than to emphasize and agree with what the above posters have said about animation stunning. Honestly, my gear is just average on my scholar, but I have been told I do a decent job and the only reason for it is because I wind up just stunning off the animation that a NM is readying a TP move (or spell as stated above). I haven't solo stunned in there, so my experience has always been with a second stunner. This, as long as they're doing the same thing, makes it so you have cover if you stun a spell and the NM tries to unleash a TP move right after. You'll stun more things that don't truly need to be stunned, but you'll wind up not missing calcifying mist for instance.

Really, it's about technique/skill, not as much gear when it comes to SCH stunning. Like I said, I have average to decent gear, but I've been resisted once in all my runs on SCH.
 Quetzalcoatl.Courtney
By Quetzalcoatl.Courtney 2013-08-13 07:12:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the advice so far. The shell I'm doing Delve with is just starting to do 5NM runs so I haven't fought Tojil with them yet. They're not giving me a hard time about stunning, but I know the lower NMs would go a lot quicker if we were hitting more of their annoying moves, and I'd feel a lot better about stunning Tojil if I was hitting these at least some of the time (and would feel a bit better about taking 5NM pickups too).

As an old RDM I've got pretty decent MagAcc gear (eg Aureole, MagAcc earrings, rings and a few pieces of part done MagAcc Bokwus) but at the moment I'm figuring if I'm not landing Stun fast enough then resists won't matter! Didn't have any issues with resists when I last did these, just wasn't fast enough! Probably want to keep even the 2% FC pieces until I'm as fast as I need to be and can scale back after that.

Liking the look of Battlemod. Took me forever to work my way through SE's chat filters, and Battlemod's seem a lot better set out. Is there any way to choose more than one set of filters per job? I only seemed to be able to default load by setting what I wanted, saving as filters-SCH and then they autoloaded. Would be handy if I could choose filters as SCH depending on whether I was healing or stunning...

Just took these settings to Ceizak and still can't stun bees, but my stun comment is on the same timestamp as the mob readying an ability so it seems I'm faster than I was. Think we're doing the NMs again tomorrow so I might get some more practice. Thanks for the advice and if any thinks of anything else please post...
 Ragnarok.Nekradarken
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Nekradarken 2013-08-13 08:25:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ohshi addon is an alternative to battlemod. You can customize it so that it only display certain TP moves or spells.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-08-13 11:11:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nekradarken said: »
Ohshi addon is an alternative to battlemod. You can customize it so that it only display certain TP moves or spells.

OhShi, didn't know it was that customizable. I'll have to try it.
 Ragnarok.Saintsfan
user: Saintsfan
By Ragnarok.Saintsfan 2013-08-13 11:55:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Going off of animations is just a terrible idea in general. To use Morimar as example youll want to focus on certain moves per NM as mentioned above. On the 5 nm's none will grow stun resistant but youll still want to grab certain moves as they can slow the run down a bit and/or lead to a death: Eft toxin and paralyga (free nuke between) raptor breath and inferno, peiste charge and mist (this mob in particular can use tp moves back to back to back so dont want to miss a stun because u wasted on ***like delta thrust or fortis) and kurma tremor which can also back to back. If you're struggling with your reaction time then battlemod would really help you. You can set it to only see monster tp/magic with color coding that is visually appealing and makes it very very easy. I'd also recommend an atinian staff for your helix, low tier nukes, impact, kaustra. You can do some really nice damage to eft and kurma. Hope that helps. GL on your runs
 Ragnarok.Saintsfan
user: Saintsfan
By Ragnarok.Saintsfan 2013-08-13 11:56:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, yes you can make a set of filters on battlemod for any job and or situation and load them accordingly. I use notebook ++
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2013-08-13 12:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I found over this weekened since the update I have had huge lag issues, and I've failed miserably on Tojil stunning.

Previously I had no issues :/
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-08-13 12:25:18
Link | Quote | Reply

SE has fracture, assault, salvage, and possibly legion on the same server running instanced content. During busy times, it'll often go nonresponsive for a few seconds at a time. Having lag on the weekend is pretty normal in fracture, due to the higher traffic.
 Bismarck.Squah
user: Squah
By Bismarck.Squah 2013-08-13 12:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't minimum cast time capped to 20% of base cast time? Or is that only for cures? If it isn't exclusive, you hit that with your gear now (50% with no relic on alacrity plus your 31% in FC gear) so stun won't get any quicker than the .1 second it is now.

Stunning Tojil is much easier than the rest of them. His charge times are an eternity.
By Blazed1979 2013-08-13 12:29:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Stunning Advice
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2013-08-13 15:19:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
lol'd
 Asura.Kjotu
Server: Asura
user: kjLotus
By Asura.Kjotu 2013-08-13 15:22:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Squah said: »
Isn't minimum cast time capped to 20% of base cast time? Or is that only for cures? If it isn't exclusive, you hit that with your gear now (50% with no relic on alacrity plus your 31% in FC gear) so stun won't get any quicker than the .1 second it is now.

Arts, celerity/alacrity, and the celerity/alacrity bonus aren't part of that cap. Their reduction is applied after.
By failacious 2013-08-13 15:23:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Saintsfan said: »
Going off of animations is just a terrible idea in general.

Obviously you dont animation stun every single mob, you wouldn't have the charges to keep up with that. It's for mega bosses. I didn't see other posters say it but I only recommended for mega bosses where you should be stunning everything except spells for the most part. (Still stun breakga/meteor/kaustra etc) And if you animation stun and accidently stun a spell it isn't the end of the world as I've mentioned.

To the original poster, I asked if your ls was coming down on you because I'm assuming that since you saying you did the 5 NM's but not tojil there isn't enough time for tojil for a real attempt. While yes sch can help shave that extra time by disallowing certain tp moves, it is definitely on the rest of your shell for not getting there with plenty of time even if you didn't stun a single tp move. Post update there is no reason any standard setup group can't get to tojil without 10-15min left. Oatixurs or not.

Edit: To clarify you can animation stun lower NM's also that require locking all tp moves. Those NM's can be Peiste, Craklaw, Orobon, Wamoura. We stopped stunning all of Peistes tp moves personally in my group but thats mostly because its a push over at this point.
 Cerberus.Taint
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2013-08-13 15:39:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Try out my SC for stunning.

pastebin.com/u/bwool40

Trigger2 toggles stun mode on and off, to Idle/lock in stun gear for laggy zones.
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2013-08-13 15:43:47
Link | Quote | Reply

failacious said: »
We stopped stunning all of Peistes tp moves personally in my group
And I hate you guys for it. >:(
 Quetzalcoatl.Courtney
By Quetzalcoatl.Courtney 2013-08-13 20:51:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Saintsfan said: »
Also, yes you can make a set of filters on battlemod for any job and or situation and load them accordingly. I use notebook ++

Hi I'm not having any problem making the filters but i can't seem to find the syntax to choose a file to load.

//bm reload loads the macro that has my current jobs name in it "filters-SCH" if I'm on SCH and just "filters" if I'm on a job without a custom filter, but I can't seem to find a way to load a custom named file.
By Ophannus 2013-08-13 21:17:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Moves that aren't worth stunning because they're either too fast or low-risk:

Raptor: Chomp Rush; Scythe Tail
Eft: Cyclotail; Numbing Noise; Geist Wall
Matamata: N/A
Peiste: Torpifying Charge; Thunder V; Delta Thrust; Aqua Fortis
Tojil: Stun everything except spells that aren't Dispelga/Meteor/Kausta

Ceizak:
Scorpion: You can't stun any of his moves except Hell Scissors and Stasis. So don't bother stunning Earthpounder/Earthbreaker, Death Scissors/Mandibular Bite/
Chapuli: Sanguinary; Nature's Meditation; Sensilla Blades
Butterflies: Should stun everything
Tax'et: All his moves are annoying and hurt; but don't stun Exuv
Mastop: Stun Everything.

Foret:
Pugil: Can't stun anything except spells, Waterball is too fast
Orobon: Deathgnash
Crab: Bubble Curtain; Bubble Shower; Big Scissors
Craklaw: Everything should be stunned
Urganite: Don't stun anything except painful whip
[+]
By failacious 2013-08-13 22:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophannus said: »
Moves that aren't worth stunning because they're either too fast or low-risk:

Raptor: Chomp Rush; Scythe Tail
Eft: Cyclotail; Numbing Noise; Geist Wall
Matamata: N/A
Peiste: Torpifying Charge; Thunder V; Delta Thrust; Aqua Fortis
Tojil: Stun everything except spells that aren't Dispelga/Meteor/Kausta

Ceizak:
Scorpion: You can't stun any of his moves except Hell Scissors and Stasis. So don't bother stunning Earthpounder/Earthbreaker, Death Scissors/Mandibular Bite/
Chapuli: Sanguinary; Nature's Meditation; Sensilla Blades
Butterflies: Should stun everything
Tax'et: All his moves are annoying and hurt; but don't stun Exuv
Mastop: Stun Everything.

Foret:
Pugil: Can't stun anything except spells, Waterball is too fast
Orobon: Deathgnash
Crab: Bubble Curtain; Bubble Shower; Big Scissors
Craklaw: Everything should be stunned
Urganite: Don't stun anything except painful whip

This is what we do except a couple changes

Twitherm - Only Blackout/Swarm. Upheavel or w/e its called is just low dmg + knockback but you should be in a tunnel so not a big deal.

Mastop - Only stun spells as it should be spamming discharge if fighting properly

Urganite - Only stun virulent haze, whip does a lot of damage but wont ever kill anyone with sherzo, haze is a damaging aoe.
[+]
 Cerberus.Detzu
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2013-09-03 05:29:22
Link | Quote | Reply

What is this Oshi add on? It happened I stunned by mistake when it was just a Cure IV in chat. I want to get rid of everything but the tp moves/spells.
I also have problem with my own stunning animation, I push the button but it seems to react 0.5 sec later, which is a problem if tojil readies lahar or if peist does calcifying mist.

I'm using windower macros, should I upgrade to SC?
By Chimerawizard 2013-09-03 07:51:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know about Oshi, I haven't used it.
Watch for animations from the target mob.
Menu stun, don't macro stun. keep it sub-targeted when it's your turn.

You may occasionally stun when it's someone else doing something. I occasionally see the luopon ready something and ::enter:: but I'm getting better about that now.

Macro is just to /tell or /p for the others to know you went.
My group always uses 2 SCHs though.
 Cerberus.Detzu
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2013-09-03 11:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll try that. Thanks!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dramatica
Server: Phoenix
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2013-09-03 12:47:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Stunning specific moves without a bot really isn't very realistic. I'd say a group trying to target Calcifying mist and not stun other moves will have a lot more trouble than stunning everything manually. 2SCH can animation stun lock pretty much everything if they are properly coordinated.
[+]
 Shiva.Siral
Server: Shiva
user: Siral
By Shiva.Siral 2013-09-03 14:17:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dramatica said: »
Stunning specific moves without a bot really isn't very realistic. I'd say a group trying to target Calcifying mist and not stun other moves will have a lot more trouble than stunning everything manually. 2SCH can animation stun lock pretty much everything if they are properly coordinated.

I've never tried stunning without battlemod. From what people are saying i'm sure it makes a difference though and I would recommend using it.

Using battlemod without bots me and another stunner are reliably(90%~95% of the time) able to selectively stun Mist and Charge from Peiste. Even when alternating stuns if you try to stun every TP move a mob does you're just going to run out of stratagems.

On something like Kurma we just try to preemptively stun because of how fast those moves are. I would imagine they are impossible to stun even for a bot. For peiste though you really should be able to chatlog stun.

That being said, stunning the correct moves makes everything go smoother, but a good group should be able to get to Tojil with plenty of time even if no moves are stunned from the first 5 NMs. Stunning tojil is the most important part of the run and all his tp moves seem to take forever to use. There's times where I thought for sure i'd missed a stun due to lag and it still hit.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2013-09-03 15:39:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Cerberus.Detzu said: »
What is this Oshi add on? It happened I stunned by mistake when it was just a Cure IV in chat. I want to get rid of everything but the tp moves/spells.
I also have problem with my own stunning animation, I push the button but it seems to react 0.5 sec later, which is a problem if tojil readies lahar or if peist does calcifying mist.

I don't think you can tell the game to differentiate from "someone casting cure IV on you" vs "a monster using death on you" but I have it set up like this

that 0.5 second would be the Delay between you hittin the command, the game recognising it and, any lag from the server receiving the packet and re sending it to you. Plus the animation and FPS rates with this game would make it appear as if thats the case, it's more like a 0.2 sec delay ehich is nothing as Tojils Moves take 1~2 seconds to activate.

The only real issue if your IPS is slow, then you will see issues with you recieving the text well after.

My only issue on Tojil is attempting to solo stun, I only seem to manage this with Embrava up, as my stun recast isn't low enough (depends on the BRD in my pt as well)

I'm wondering if it's possible to hit recast cap from None SV BRD buffs and Haste only? I assume a Cor for FC roll would probably make it possible? Or do you need SV songs + Embrava ~
 Bismarck.Helel
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2013-09-03 17:06:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Conagh said: »

I don't think you can tell the game to differentiate from "someone casting cure IV on you" vs "a monster using death on you" but I have it set up like this

that 0.5 second would be the Delay between you hittin the command, the game recognising it and, any lag from the server receiving the packet and re sending it to you. Plus the animation and FPS rates with this game would make it appear as if thats the case, it's more like a 0.2 sec delay ehich is nothing as Tojils Moves take 1~2 seconds to activate.

The only real issue if your IPS is slow, then you will see issues with you recieving the text well after.

My only issue on Tojil is attempting to solo stun, I only seem to manage this with Embrava up, as my stun recast isn't low enough (depends on the BRD in my pt as well)

I'm wondering if it's possible to hit recast cap from None SV BRD buffs and Haste only? I assume a Cor for FC roll would probably make it possible? Or do you need SV songs + Embrava ~

Are you talking about SCH/BLM? You should have more than enough -recast with alacrity (and just haste) to solo stun everything. You don't need march or caster's roll or embrava, though random deal is helpful if fight takes too long.

Edit: With ionis up, my recast is ~6 seconds.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2013-09-04 12:12:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said: »
Cerberus.Conagh said: »

Are you talking about SCH/BLM? You should have more than enough -recast with alacrity (and just haste) to solo stun everything. You don't need march or caster's roll or embrava, though random deal is helpful if fight takes too long.

Edit: With ionis up, my recast is ~6 seconds.

Talking about without JA, You can't keep JA's up for the duration of Tojil. Unless you're DD's can kill it in under 5~6 minutes (recent groups I've seen struggle)
First Page 2 3