Gay Marriage Ftl?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Gay Marriage ftl?
Gay Marriage ftl?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Unicorn.Jewkitten
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Jewkitten
By Unicorn.Jewkitten 2009-07-08 08:51:31
Link | Quote | Reply

MMO's above most other forms of interaction is a connection of minds and sometimes hearts... and that is not inferior to the connection of flesh and circumstance that ppl consider "real" relationships.

Many real ppl face to face have less understanding and communication between them than internet friends have with each other.

"Marriage" to me is not the union of a penis and a vagina. To me Marriage is the union of two hearts who share life. So if ppl share their time/life in any form be it RL or virtual or both, to me they are already bonded and living the definition of marriage.

By that token it is groovy for ppl to be able to express in game what is already true for them and their mate, no matter what their real or virtual gender is.

Ceremonies are a great excuse to dress up, get drunk and be happy for those you love as well!^^ Who would not like moar excuses to party?:p
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-08 08:53:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Penis + Vagina or GTFO!
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-07-08 08:58:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I support the any sex marriage. I play a mithra (chick) and if I met someone on the game but they were a taru, elvaan female, or mithra and we wanted to marry. I don't want to marry a mule, it would have his mule's name on the ring...

Many ppl play different gender characters but have to marry someone that is not same sex character...it's HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

I know plenty of girls who play male characters and males who play female characters.

It's just a game so to me it's not "gay" marriage if the rl ppl playing the characters are of different gender too.
 Shiva.Velito
Server: Shiva
user: Velito
By Shiva.Velito 2009-07-08 09:03:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Kungfuhustle said:
Penis + Vagina or GTFO!

But vaginas have cooties!
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-08 09:05:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry(not really), but if you actually want to "marry" in a game, whether it be straight, gay, inter-racial or whatever, even if it's an MMORPG, you're just sad.

Are the divorce rates so high that its driving people to wed pixel representations of people who they probably won't ever see in real life?

What's gonna happen when you meet up with this person and they turn out to be something opposite of what they led you to believe?

I mean seriously, you could be "marrying" this freak...
http://www.gadjunk.com/pics/fat_gamer_girl.jpg (stop it)
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-07-08 09:10:19
Link | Quote | Reply

If I ever get married in game I would sure know its not going to go further irl, though some do. It's not like marrying in game with same sex is going to hurt anyone. They don't get special privileges, you just get a ring in ffxi...nothing else. Can't share moghouses, etc.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-08 09:15:26
Link | Quote | Reply

meh, I've never been fond of the idea of marriage irl, and I definitely see it as a bad joke in-game.

I go lmfao when I see people in-game with their wedding rings/clothing on, there would be a sign above their heads that say "I has no life!"
 Fairy.Nirrvana
Server: Fairy
user: Nirrvana
By Fairy.Nirrvana 2009-07-08 09:32:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Relicant said:
so the gay people would shut the *** up.

And when do the straight people stfu? Like with ANY group that is refused BASIC human rights there are always idiots who don't wanna hear about it and like things the way they are.

The world is changing and it always has. Eventually statements like yours will sound as idiotic to the world as "NO THE EARTH IS THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE" or "don't float your boat too far that way, you'll fall off".

People need to get a grip and just chill out.

And so far, not a one of you "remove the marriage" people have given a valid reason to do so. It sounds like a whole lot of sour grapes to me. I don't like baseball, to play or watch it. I don't GET it....but I don't say get rid of it. Get a G R I P.
[+]
 Fairy.Nirrvana
By Fairy.Nirrvana 2009-07-08 09:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Jewkitten said:
MMO's above most other forms of interaction is a connection of minds and sometimes hearts... and that is not inferior to the connection of flesh and circumstance that ppl consider "real" relationships.

Many real ppl face to face have less understanding and communication between them than internet friends have with each other.

"Marriage" to me is not the union of a penis and a vagina. To me Marriage is the union of two hearts who share life. So if ppl share their time/life in any form be it RL or virtual or both, to me they are already bonded and living the definition of marriage.

By that token it is groovy for ppl to be able to express in game what is already true for them and their mate, no matter what their real or virtual gender is.

Ceremonies are a great excuse to dress up, get drunk and be happy for those you love as well!^^ Who would not like moar excuses to party?:p

Well said. For me and my soon to be hubby it is about a commitment to our friendship. I come here to role play and Nirr isn't a thousand miles away from her man. Whether or not we get together in r/l is a totally different thing.

I love the people here who are saying that the game is about fantasy and then say that an i/g relationship isn't real....well DUH. We know that, it seems like you don't get the difference though.

Of course there are unbalanced people who take EVERYTHING in the game too seriously. Hence this stupid thread and the anti-gay sentiment. And I'm sorry, I find it hard...very hard...to believe that those of you who have such strong feelings about the removal of marriage i/g AREN'T the same people you accuse us of being...lonely, angry people sitting in their room on the computer instead of living your REAL life. Otherwise this would be a one post thread.
 Fairy.Nirrvana
By Fairy.Nirrvana 2009-07-08 09:40:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Kungfuhustle said:
I'm sorry(not really), but if you actually want to "marry" in a game, whether it be straight, gay, inter-racial or whatever, even if it's an MMORPG, you're just sad.

Are the divorce rates so high that its driving people to wed pixel representations of people who they probably won't ever see in real life?

What's gonna happen when you meet up with this person and they turn out to be something opposite of what they led you to believe?

I mean seriously, you could be "marrying" this freak...
http://www.gadjunk.com/pics/fat_gamer_girl.jpg (stop it)

Again, still sounds like sour grapes.

In my case the person I'm marrying is one of my best friends. He knows more about me than most of the people in my everyday REAL life because unlike them he and I are forced to communicate with WORDS. Something your average relationship is void of...communication. THAT is why divorce rates are so high. That's a fact you can spout; "the majority of people don't have a clue how to talk to one another."

Neither one of us is taking this as seriously as you naysayers seem to think and I don't know anyone who's used the marriage service who does. And how do you know that people who do this will never see each other in real life? I completely disagree with that statement. In fact ALL of the people I know who have done it are either a couple in real life, have met in real life, are married in real life.

Again it seems to me that those of you who are against this don't have a clue...then again, all one has to do to realize that is read your posts throughout this site.

and ps we all know that this link is direct to your own myspace profile pic, wtf else would you have it?
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-07-08 09:51:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Random info that screams what the ***: At one point Galka were allowed to marry Galka due to them being A-sexual. Mithra could not marry mithra though because there "are" males in the vana'universe.

Marriage in itself is iffy; don't do it unless you know the person irl, or it gives you something better than a statless ring, a dress that makes mithra look like prostitutes, and a tux where the legs are the worst god awful thing ever created.

...but I have to agree. If gay people get so anal about it, let them be as miserable and as "WHAT THE *** DID I DO?!" as the rest of us when it comes down to it.
 Fairy.Nirrvana
By Fairy.Nirrvana 2009-07-08 09:55:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Eternaltriumph said:

...but I have to agree. If gay people get so anal about it, let them be as miserable and as "WHAT THE *** DID I DO?!" as the rest of us when it comes down to it.

Dude, just want to point out that the person who started this thread AND one has to assume the majority of people posting in it ARE NOT GAY. At least that's what most are claiming. I'm the only person who even admited what my sexuality is and I'm also the only person saying WHO CARES JUST MIND YOUR BUSINESS.

So, how is it gay people being anal? Again, just another clueless and thoughtless post.
 Fenrir.Shindo
Server: Fenrir
user: Shindo
By Fenrir.Shindo 2009-07-08 09:57:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I know a gay couple in FFXI. They're both male characters and don;t really care.

On the flipside, though, you should have to prove you were born with (and still have) a vagina to play a mithra.

This message brought to you by C.A.M.P. the Coalition Against Manthra Players.
[+]
 Shiva.Velito
user: Velito
By Shiva.Velito 2009-07-08 09:58:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Nirrvana said:
gay people being anal?

Dohohohoho
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-07-08 10:03:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Nirrvana said:
Eternaltriumph said:

Dude, just want to point out that the person who started this thread AND one has to assume the majority of people posting in it ARE NOT GAY. At least that's what most are claiming. I'm the only person who even admited what my sexuality is and I'm also the only person saying WHO CARES JUST MIND YOUR BUSINESS.

So, how is it gay people being anal? Again, just another clueless and thoughtless post.

Being anal. See the quote that contains your post. Getting "OMG NO U DIDNT NIGGAH" about an opinion saying why not. Plus, the word fit the association. Anymore anal comments?
 Fairy.Nirrvana
By Fairy.Nirrvana 2009-07-08 10:11:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Eternaltriumph said:
Nirrvana said:
Eternaltriumph said:

Being anal. See the quote that contains your post. Getting "OMG NO U DIDNT NIGGAH" about an opinion saying why not. Plus, the word fit the association. Anymore anal comments?

Yeah sorry, what was I thinking expecting some intelligence in a thread filled with your "average" gamer. My bad..totally.

I'm not sure which is more sad...this thread or what passes for wit around here.

Well I'm off to live the life you sad people believe we i/g married people don't have. Hmmmmm, wait...what are you all gonna do today?

feel free to go house now that I won't be around to call you on your stupidity. Get the hate out yall, maybe you'll feel better when the bile is out of your bellies!!

Laters!
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-07-08 10:18:36
Link | Quote | Reply

It's funny how this is just for "in-game" marriage, I don't call it a gay marriage since it could be str8 ppl wanting to marry the character they want to but can't cause no same sex marriage on a video game.

No one is talking for out of game marriage, I wouldn't care if it was allowed in the game.

Like I said before, ppl play different genders of characters and some end up being the same sex as you and you cant marry and you gotta make a mule to marry whomever if you really wanted to.

Remember this is a GAME wedding not RL wedding folks...
 Cerberus.Nieko
Server: Cerberus
user: Nieko
By Cerberus.Nieko 2009-07-08 10:25:59
Link | Quote | Reply

lot of sour grapes in this thread i'm noticing.
[+]
 Asura.Areesu
Server: Asura
user: Areesu
By Asura.Areesu 2009-07-08 10:29:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I was about to write something intelligent but I think it's a bad idea...
I never trust people online, so in-game relationship = "lol" for me, do it if you want to... but don't try to convince me it's "ok". You have your opinion and I have mine.

**Ninja Edit: In-game weddings = bad >:(
 Pandemonium.Tatsuki
user: douten
By Pandemonium.Tatsuki 2009-07-08 10:34:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Just another anecdote here. I have to lvl my mule to marry my RL gf, she just started playing(25 rdm) since my main char is a Mithra thf, and hers is a Mithra also. I don't mind lvling a mule for marriage really, but it could've been easier for me if we could just jump on right away :3
 Pandemonium.Aravol
user: aravol
By Pandemonium.Aravol 2009-07-08 11:10:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Same sex marriage in game? Sure in certain citys or nations maybe , kind of like in RL.

The 2 dudee marriage should get to choose a village people outfit.
One a biker guy
The other a police officer :D
Hell, alot of straight people will do it for laughs anyways
 Ramuh.Xanathos
Server: Ramuh
user: xanathos
By Ramuh.Xanathos 2009-07-08 11:12:00
Link | Quote | Reply

so y is it that when subjects involving gay rights come up, anti-gay ppl immediately relate & compare homosexuality to pedophilia & beastiality? it's pretty sad that in today's society, as far as we have come as a species with equality & human rights, some people still equate being gay to having a complete lack of morals & human decency. in this thread, for example, it only took 19 minutes for someone to contrast gay rights to the rights of someone that likes to fk 12yr olds. kudos.

i r a homo. i have been completely "out" & involved in the gay community for over a decade. that being said, i personally do not even believe that gays should have the right to be married in rl. i do understand completely the debate & stance that "marraige is a sacred tradition between a vadge & a ***". fine. go make babies & stfu. i do, however, believe that a gay couple should be able to have some sort of legal "union" so that they can benefit from some of the basic legal rights of a married breeder couple [ie - being able to visit their loved one in the hospital or share an insurance policy].

marraige in the game? well, that's pretty fkn gay...even for a homo. while i do think thats its pretty sad that SE prohibits gay rights, i just don't give a flying fk one way or the other. as a gay, even *i* am sick of hearing homos get all bent over gay marraige. it's ALMOST as annoying as potheads that wont stfu about legalizing pot. gfdi, find a new topic, k?

i got married in-game in february to a good friend of mine. he's also gay, and happened to have a female elvaan character. since i have a male hume, it was no problem. HOWEVER, ororodos & i are not romantically involved, nor ever plan on being romantically involved. we are simply 2 friends in the game who happen to be gay, who thought "wtf let's get married in-game". it was basically our way of saying "lolmarraige". as a running joke of sorts, we still refer to each other as husband & wife...and its all in good fun.

so idgaf if u like teh *** or teh vadge...just deal with it. things are what they are.

lolmarraige.
[+]
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-07-08 11:14:46
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

As to how another person's sexual orientation became anyone else's business but their own is beyond me. How exactly does this give one a right to alienate others?
 Pandemonium.Aravol
user: aravol
By Pandemonium.Aravol 2009-07-08 11:17:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree. I dont understand how a gay persons mind is attracted to same sex, therefore since i dont understand i dont judge either.
I have known a few gay individuals who are very nice people.
If they want to be together do it. Feelings are a hard thing to fight.
PIZZA omw!
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-07-08 11:37:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Haseyo said:
Like someone said in FFXIV boards, (from a suggestion of someone saying Gay Marriage in XIV), I think they should drop marriage services in general.

^This. It's a *** game, people...and not only that, but since you can play either sex, just roll opposite genders from each other and have at it. Problem solved.

And on the subject of gay marriage IRL, absolutely yes they should be allowed to marry and have rights equal to the rights of a hetero couple. I've read stories about people that have been couples for decades, one of them gets sick, and their partner can't even get into their hospital room to be with them as they die...*** despicable and deplorable.

Not only that, but the only reason it is ILLEGAL is because of religious moralities...and religion should NOT be influencing our laws AT ALL. Homosexuality has existed since the dawn of time, thinking we're gonna keep it at bay with laws is laughable anyways...
 Bahamut.Vette
Server: Bahamut
user: Vette
By Bahamut.Vette 2009-07-08 11:56:06
Link | Quote | Reply

interesting subject on homosexual marrages... how can i put this...
Its your life, You believe in what you think is right. goverment and church laws just control theses factors. The King James Bible states "Marrage is a unity between an man and woman..." thats fine, If ur a christian. but mormons can have more than 1 wife. but the state doesn't allow mulitple marrages. so whats it to you if the guy next to ya is wanting to get married to his boyfriend. it dosen't effect you in any way what so ever.

people start living ur own life and not worring about what every1 else is doing.

In-Gane marragies... have them there but remove the restrictions. let ppl use there brains for once and decide on their own. there is no goverment or church laws in FFXI. its a fantasy world to get away from RL!

BTW: i play a mithra(guy) and my wife plays a female elvaan. I support happiness reguardless of race,sex,age,national origin,or religion.
[+]
 Sylph.Jax
Server: Sylph
user: MissJax
By Sylph.Jax 2009-07-08 12:17:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Not many people get married in game anyhow.. It's very rare maybe because we all play different genders? Idk, but from what I hear its super expensive which is why I haven't got married in game yet. So they should make it cheaper AND let us marry same gender!
 Unicorn.Boyaci
Server: Unicorn
user: Boyaci
By Unicorn.Boyaci 2009-07-08 12:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Our rules are constantly evolving, our acceptances are constantly changing. To understand the course that gay marriage will take, one must look at the history and dramas that came before us:

As recently as 100 yrs ago, women were not afforded the right to vote in many otherwise civilized societies. Some states extended this right before others (Wyoming in 1869, Utah in 1870), but it was not until President Woodrow Wilson's admininstration in 1920 that the Nineteenth Amendment which prohibited state and federal agencies from gender-based restrictions on voting was passed. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_suffrage)

In the United States, and in many otherwise civilized societies across this planet, interracial marriage, cohabitation (living together) and sex were prohibited by law from the seventeenth century onwards, and subsequently in several US states and US territories until 1967.

Similar laws were also enforced in Nazi Germany, from 1935 until 1945, and in South Africa during the Apartheid era, from 1949 until 1985. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-miscegenation_laws)

Again, some states granted equality before others. Illinois, for example repealed it's laws against interracial marriage in 1874, California didn't do so until 1948, and many states never did so on their own, with Federal law ultimately trumping what was on the state books.

Today, there are still minority factions of our population that view women as inferior to men. There are still those among us who have their own private thoughts of disgust when they see a black man walking through the mall with a white woman on his arm. The bottomline is that the public outcry has long since died down and these are essentially non-issues.

The response from our Federal government and anti-gay marriage activists is that the United States government is not in the business of marriage. While I agree with this position, history has shown that our leaders are ultimately in the business of equality.

Gay marriage, too, shall one day be a non-issue and our children and grandchildren won't understand the drama that exists today over the debate. Ultimately, only a Federal mandate will correct the perceived wrongs of the past. Will this happen in 5 yrs? 10 yrs? 50 yrs? No one among us knows, but it will happen.

Much as we cannot envision a time when women did not have a say in their governmental representation or when people could not get married unless their skin was the same color, those that come after us will see today's debate as foolish and unjustified.

Granted, they'll be fighting for the right to marry a Klingon, but the plight will be the same.