"Gamer Steals Virtual Money To Pay For Real Life Debts."

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » "Gamer steals Virtual Money to pay for real life debts."
"Gamer steals Virtual Money to pay for real life debts."
 Ifrit.Mrmittens
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: MrMittens
By Ifrit.Mrmittens 2009-07-05 12:37:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Aakura said:
Supposedly free healthcare period. I looked up the Canadian healthcare coverage, here's the link.

http://www.amsa.org/studytours/CHS_FactSheet.pdf

Eh, we basically get everything emergency related free. If you get a prescription for antibiotics that are for fighting say a flu, you have to pay for the meds. If you break your leg you have to pay for crutches (some hospitals allow you to simply put down a deposit until you return them). For all intents and purposes health care here is awesome.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-05 12:40:02
Link | Quote | Reply

well, I do think the option of an Aussie living in Toronto is possible.

Thanks for the clarification Mittens.

Plus, having a house is a great long-term investment.
 Carbuncle.Nightmarelord
Server: Carbuncle
user: BushinNmL
By Carbuncle.Nightmarelord 2009-07-05 12:47:19
Link | Quote | Reply

lmao *** epic. i dont blame him.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-07-05 12:48:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Also getting a house isn't something you do out of the blue probably was already getting it and money was already tight and then son medical... since don't really know who the guy is and only really have his word who knows.
 Shiva.Xellith
Server: Shiva
user: Xellith
By Shiva.Xellith 2009-07-05 13:43:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Kungfuhustle said:
some back-water, cousin *** hick town where everyone has two first names...

Yeah, if someone offered me $4k+ for my account, I'd sell it. Then people say "You're RMT, you're RMT, blah blah blah."

I say this to them... I pay for my account, so I do with it what I want.

no you pay for the privilage of RENTING an account as long as you follow the pre-established rules which are in the TOS.

saying "its my account I do what I want with it" is like saying "I rent an apartment so I can be as loud as I want in it and do anything I want in it!" which is true... as long as you arnt breaking your lease agreement.

RMTing in an MMO or many other games is a breach of contract which means you are a wrong.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-05 13:55:01
Link | Quote | Reply

wrong or not, I ain't gonna turn down $4k for something virtual, especially if I needed the money.

Like I said, the guy needed the money for his new house and kid's medical bills, I don't think he cared if he was wrong or not since his real life > virtual life.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-07-05 14:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah but he made tons of virtual orphans!!! Shame on him
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-05 14:18:07
Link | Quote | Reply

to hell with the orphans!
[+]
 Pandemonium.Fawkes
Server: Pandemonium
user: Fawkes
By Pandemonium.Fawkes 2009-07-05 21:34:51
Link | Quote | Reply

If I could rob a virtual bank and take home $6,300 I'd *** do it; no ifs, buts or maybes. Anyone who turns down that opportunity is stupid. High-five to the guy.
[+]
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-07-05 22:07:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just appalled here for one reason... he steals nearly 200 Billion of game currency and all it boiled down to was $6K US? WTf....
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-07-05 22:14:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:
I'm just appalled here for one reason... he steals nearly 200 Billion of game currency and all it boiled down to was $6K US? WTf....

Lots of inflation? >.>
 Quetzalcoatl.Diveine
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Diveine
By Quetzalcoatl.Diveine 2009-07-05 22:18:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Appalled? How? Haven't you gotten those brosale and brogame /tells? lol.

Not meaning to advertise them, for I wish they'd all burn in hell and turn to dust, but if you do the math might figure this thief was trying to beat his competition.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rylis
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rylis
By Lakshmi.Rylis 2009-07-06 00:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

As for paying to play and what that means.. Basically, the ToS in most games says you pay for the right to pay, provided you play by their rules. If you breach the ToS in a matter that crosses legality, they have grounds for prosecution. Otherwise, it's merely their arbitrary rules..

So, saying it's wrong because he breached ToS is a little silly.. Did he agree to it? Of course, but the ToS agreement basically says if you don't follow ToS, you waive the right to bring suit against the company for canceling your right to play..

So, he breached ToS, they canceled his right to play.. End of story, really..

As to whether it's right or wrong... It's a *** game.. That isn't a license to be a douche, or to cause others grief.. I've always tried to be a respectable player and not mess with people, or do anything I wouldn't do in life.. But really, everyone is different.. When weighed against RL issues, it would be nice if my in-game time could translate to making my RL issues easier.. For this guy, they could. It required he do something questionable, but if it was worth it to him, and no one actually got 'hurt' in all of this, so I'm not going to hold it against him..

As to those who are acting like RMTers are despicable low-lifes.. It's not like they're stealing, or killing, or vandalizing.. They're breaking ToS, and at best, annoying you in one of your *** hobbies.. Get over yourself, your game time isn't so important as to wish harm on people who don't make the game exactly as you want it.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-07-06 01:09:55
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Kinda *** up he'd resort to this and piss off thousands of players but hell, you do what you gotta do to get through life. It's his cause I admire more so than his ability to steal money. If that 6 grand was spent on white lines going up his nose then I'd disapprove.
 Cerberus.Boundsoul
Server: Cerberus
user: Boundsoul
By Cerberus.Boundsoul 2009-07-06 01:49:07
Link | Quote | Reply

doing the math, the last brosale /tell i got said $15.79 for a mil. he sold 200 billion credits for $6k. if that was gil, he would have got $3,158,000. at the rate he got, you could by a million credits for $0.03.

i can understand his reasons, if my son was sick and had medical bills that i couldn't afford, hell i'd rob a real life bank.

and with the math above, i sure as hell would do it for $3mil. and at the same time as sad as it is, if the conversion rate he got was the same on my ffxi server i'd buy a few mil at 3 cents each. hell alot of ppl would. but then i probably wouldn't cuz that much gil floating around would definately break the game.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-07-06 13:22:53
Link | Quote | Reply

You people calling down this guy for giving up his hobby/reputation to keep his family housed and in good health are pretty damn coldhearted. If it came down to a decision between pissing off a bunch of people online and getting banned from a game or making sure my family has a place to live and money to stay, y'know... alive I'm pretty sure I would choose the latter.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-06 13:30:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Rylis said:

As to those who are acting like RMTers are despicable low-lifes.. It's not like they're stealing, or killing, or vandalizing.. They're breaking ToS, and at best, annoying you in one of your *** hobbies.. Get over yourself, your game time isn't so important as to wish harm on people who don't make the game exactly as you want it.

Just wanted to quote this part just so everyone can understand... And by this point if you STILL don't understand, then go shoot yourself.

oh yeah, real life will always be > to in-game life
 Cerberus.Radaghast
Server: Cerberus
user: Radaghast
By Cerberus.Radaghast 2009-07-06 14:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Kungfuhustle said:

Yeah, if someone offered me $4k+ for my account, I'd sell it. Then people say "You're RMT, you're RMT, blah blah blah."

First:
Maybe you ought to read ToS more carefully. It's not YOUR account. You are merely leasing it from w/e company made the game. So saying that because you paid your monthly fee you can do w/e you want, is not only inaccurate, but pretty stupid as well.

Second:
If it was HIS account and HIS items/currency then NP. He gets banned and pays his bills. Unfortuneately he took things that didn't belong to him and proceded to make a real douche out of himself. Got bills? Get a job. Got medical issues? Get another job, or find some insurance. What you don't do is steal from people who trust you not to do so.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-06 14:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Radaghast said:
Kungfuhustle said:

First:
Maybe you ought to read ToS more carefully. It's not YOUR account. You are merely leasing it from w/e company made the game. So saying that because you paid your monthly fee you can do w/e you want, is not only inaccurate, but pretty stupid as well.

Second:
If it was HIS account and HIS items/currency then NP. He gets banned and pays his bills. Unfortuneately he took things that didn't belong to him and proceded to make a real douche out of himself. Got bills? Get a job. Got medical issues? Get another job, or find some insurance. What you don't do is steal from people who trust you not to do so.

yeah, cz virtual people who you'll never see come before his sick son.. STFU ***!
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-07-06 14:42:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Who cares really...

We sign a lease to rent an apartment and we paint it, do whatever we want with it; same for a car too, lease it, put rims, tinted windows etc.

So a guy got fake money and sold it for real money... He's not getting any richer now the public knows. It's a flaw in the game system that's why we have ppl who sell game money in every online multiplayer so far.
 Fairy.Winterlight
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Winterlight 2009-07-06 14:56:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey Alyria: What does your name in green bold signify?
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-07-06 14:57:31
Link | Quote | Reply

That she's a mod.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
Server: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-07-06 14:58:53
Link | Quote | Reply

It really means shes a sexy puerto rican woman
 Valefor.Ghuda
Server: Valefor
user: Ghuda
By Valefor.Ghuda 2009-07-06 15:14:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Kungfuhustle said:
thats why I won't marry someone with debt, I don't need the extra ***.

for some reason that made me lol, if thats you in your avatar i wouldnt be so picky

lmao
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-06 15:49:17
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, thats my RL avi, and I am picky, cz I'm THAT cool.
 Sylph.Jax
Server: Sylph
user: MissJax
By Sylph.Jax 2009-07-06 16:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Shindo said:
No matter the reasons, it still makes him RMT, which means he and his family deserve to be murdered.

thats going a little bit too far.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-06 16:05:59
Link | Quote | Reply

nice avi Jax, and yeah, that IS going too far.
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-07-06 16:13:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't actually played Eve before, but isn't about 95% of the game seeing how hard you can screw everyone else over? Stealing 200 billion credits and destroying the game economy is part of the game, the only thing that got him b& was selling the currency.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-07-06 16:16:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Sammitch said:
I haven't actually played Eve before, but isn't about 95% of the game seeing how hard you can screw everyone else over?

Pretty much, at least, according to the friends I have that play the game. There's pirate guilds that exist purely to grief people and rob them of their ***. Totally within the ToS.

There's very little that is against the rules in that game, but yeah, I'm sure RMT is the one big one lol
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-07-06 16:17:39
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like he picked the right game to hijack money from.