Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Puppermaster and Aldouin
Puppermaster and Aldouin
First Page 2
By Lariae 2013-05-30 18:09:19
Link | Quote | Reply

So.. I played it for a bit pre-update and sort of lost the drive to continue mostly due to the whole "lolpup" crap.. How are they now with the new gear/animator and such? Anyone parsed against some of the traditionally accepted (and equally geared) DDs to see where they flesh out.. Including the puppet of course.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-05-30 18:19:43
Link | Quote | Reply

people still have the "lolpup" mentality, regardless of how awesome a job it really is. It still doesn't quite compare to the more traditional DD's, but it's certainly much, much stronger now.

My first "weapon" purchase was the Alternator, and there is a huge difference between any of previous animators, and the alternator.

You'll probably still have a problem though if you can't get past the lolpup mentality that so many others have gotten past.
By Lariae 2013-05-30 18:26:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh no.. it's not my mentality.. its how other people treat the job. I certainly see the potential to be on at the very least an even keel with other DPS but its a shame how often it gets left out of things.. Reminds me of BST back in the day with charming mobs and doing colibri groups.. I might have done better than most of the other DDs but ppl still were hesitant to ever take me =(
 Cerberus.Balloon
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Balloon 2013-05-30 18:34:33
Link | Quote | Reply

In delve I've had situations where I've parsed 1st, at about 34% including auto, and where I've 3rd but with a fairly even 30%ish each.

It's not a bad job in delve farms, because you can throw up wind maneuvers in your downtime and keep your autos dps up without sacrificing your own.

Accuracy is an issue, though, gear for acc, eat sushi or, in my case, pizza. I'd like to think I have a fairly decent acc set, but in Morimar I was at 90ish% acc eating Pizza +1 with no acc buffs.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-05-30 18:42:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I was talking about the lolpup mentality of others. In a party with traditional DD that are properly geared/merited etc. in the same fashion a PUP would be, the traditional DD will or should still parse MUCH higher.

I know from first hand experience that PUP can be awesome - I've played it a lot since Adoulin went live, particularly after getting my Rigor Baghnakhs and Alternator. Having both for PUP, is quite a leap up, and by no means should be discredited. That said, in a comparison between a PUP main with all the right gear for tp/ws/idle/etc., and say, a war main with all the right gear for tp/ws/idle/etc, the WAR should still come out on top.

Parses, as stated before, is a measurement as to what player is more aggressive towards the Monster(s) present in the event. If you are parsing 34% of all damage in a single fracture run including the automaton damage, some of the DD are either engaging late, have terrible accuracy even with brd buffs, are not getting the correct buffs they need, and any other combination of variables.
[+]
 Cerberus.Balloon
By Cerberus.Balloon 2013-05-30 18:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
I was talking about the lolpup mentality of others. In a party with traditional DD that are properly geared/merited etc. in the same fashion a PUP would be, the traditional DD will or should still parse MUCH higher.

I know from first hand experience that PUP can be awesome - I've played it a lot since Adoulin went live, particularly after getting my Rigor Baghnakhs and Alternator. Having both for PUP, is quite a leap up, and by no means should be discredited. That said, in a comparison between a PUP main with all the right gear for tp/ws/idle/etc., and say, a war main with all the right gear for tp/ws/idle/etc, the WAR should still come out on top.

Parses, as stated before, is a measurement as to what player is more aggressive towards the Monster(s) present in the event. If you are parsing 34% of all damage in a single fracture run including the automaton damage, some of the DD are either engaging late, have terrible accuracy even with brd buffs, are not getting the correct buffs they need, and any other combination of variables.

The DDs in my party that run were not the best, no. I've only gone twice, second one I was 2/3rd at around 30%, around 24% for me and 7% for the auto. I usually end up having to go cor.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-05-30 18:48:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you have an alternator for pup? If so, and you use SS with 3 maneuvers up, your auto should be doing more than 7% total damage I would think.

The Mobs in Morimar Basalt Fields is probably the most reliable place to test how well a PUP can handle their own against more traditional DD, if the sample size is large enough, and assuming that all players involved are comparably geared.
 Asura.Melbufrauma
Server: Asura
By Asura.Melbufrauma 2013-05-30 19:01:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I have taken my PUP to Qilin and other VW mobs and on several times parsed first against other Delve DDs (DRKs, SAMs & WARs) and PUP is very useful in delve seeing as Armor Shatterer lowers mobs def by 16% and not only does it do constant 3ks, Reso and Shoha can close for light SC and 2 shot about any mob there is in Delve.

Went on a LS run last night and setup was (DRK, SAM, PUP(myself),SCH ,COR &BRD as roaming party in Ceizak and used 2 sac'ers instead of PLDs and got 7650 plasm first run and 7.7k 2nd.
By Lariae 2013-05-30 22:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

One of my favorite things was to take an undervalued job, gear as best as I can and do as best as I can and surprise others with that.. Seems like this job fits the bill, and is more competitive than before. Got a lot of gear work to do to get there but thanks guys.
 Sylph.Ningyotsukai
Server: Sylph
user: Chernabog
By Sylph.Ningyotsukai 2013-05-30 23:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
people still have the "lolpup" mentality, regardless of how awesome a job it really is. It still doesn't quite compare to the more traditional DD's, but it's certainly much, much stronger now.

Depends. I regularly top, or place 2nd, on delve parses in PUGs, and also in my LS a few weeks ago. Haven't been to many events recently, so maybe some of the "traditional" dds have caught up?
By kenshynofshiva 2013-05-31 08:10:46
Link | Quote | Reply

If you gear around your buffs received pretty easy for pup with rigors and alternator rng frame to set with anyone. Been parsing delves for quite a while and pup with rigors and alternator easily keeping up with the top dd delve weapons. It's a good time to be a pup. Key build your gear sets around ur buffs given from brds and cors pup still needs more acc and atk but the puppet is still just a gangsta when operated with the right setup 3k armor shatters giving defense down is no joke plus it's acc is just insane.

The other great thing is if bored you can pretty much solo much of the old content without breaking a sweat or if your doing it right you have enough gear to make any mnk jealous so can also which to that lol if they won't take ur pup lol...
By Lariae 2013-06-03 08:50:57
Link | Quote | Reply

So is Stringing Pummel still our best WS or are people going with Shijin now?
 Phoenix.Degs
Server: Phoenix
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2013-06-03 08:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Most people are average players, and they gear fairly average at that.... From my experience the avg pup players gears far better than most other DDs would simply to get out of this LOLpup mentality
By Lisotte 2013-06-03 08:57:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Lariae said: »
So is Stringing Pummel still our best WS or are people going with Shijin now?
pummel's still best
By kenshynofshiva 2013-06-03 10:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Use whichever you have the best gear for actually my SS are higher in reality and on the spreadsheet just because I have slightly better SS gear. I parse everyday running against VT diremites. Sp ws dmg 3.1k SS ws dmg 3.3k which is best is based on your gear pretty much.
By Lisotte 2013-06-03 11:41:25
Link | Quote | Reply

kenshynofshiva said: »
Use whichever you have the best gear for actually my SS are higher in reality and on the spreadsheet just because I have slightly better SS gear. I parse everyday running against VT diremites. Sp ws dmg 3.1k SS ws dmg 3.3k which is best is based on your gear pretty much.

Er I meant in context of having optimal gear for both (or equal gear for both), pummel would pull ahead.

That said, I would think that anyone should build a set for each depending on situation; also self-SC'ing darkness with SS->SP is always fun xD
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2013-06-03 11:46:15
Link | Quote | Reply

They're close enough to where you should just use the one that will SC w/ w/e the other DDs are using
By Lisotte 2013-06-03 17:22:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
They're close enough to where you should just use the one that will SC w/ w/e the other DDs are using

There's usually a mnk around so I generally SC pummel to that for darkness. Or I SC pummel to my pet's armor shatterer
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-06-03 17:39:02
Link | Quote | Reply

It's much easier to gear for Shijin because of a much higher WS Mod, ranging from 65-85% (as per SE's description), than it is for Stringing Pummel, simply due to the split mod between STR and VIT. Pummel, for all the gear available as of late (with Path A Rigors) should pull ahead of the Path B Rigors for Shijin Spiral.

Does that mean Shijin Spiral is useless for Puppetmaster? Nothing could be further than the truth. Shijin Spiral and Stringing Pummel happen to compliment each other rather well. As posted earlier, Shijin Spiral chains with Pummel for Darkness, you can chain pummel to String Clipper for Darkness, and even chain Shijin to a Resolution or Shoha for Light if you're in a party/alliance with a samurai and dark knight.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2013-06-03 17:39:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm excuse my ignorance, but what does pummel make darkness with? XI calc showing no SC between Asuran/Shijin with Pummel
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-06-03 17:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

pummel >> AS should be darkness. Yet AS >> pummel is gravitation >_<. But yeah it's a SC with AS for sure.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-06-03 17:47:53
Link | Quote | Reply

It makes Darkness with WS with Distortion property of which H2H has none.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-06-03 17:50:35
Link | Quote | Reply

armor Shatterer has Fusion/Impaction properties, it dosn't make Darkness with Pummel.
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-06-03 17:52:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Am I thinking of MM for Darkness? Idk I'm not exactly thinking straight atm, sorry. Soloing on Geo blows lol
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-06-03 17:54:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure you're thinking of String Shredder and Pummel, which do make darkness.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2013-06-03 18:00:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see any worthwhile WS between pup and mnk atm.

Smite > Smite

Spiral > Smite

When you can get the WS off of WoE weps though (or if the boost to Vereth 99 are good enough to warrant using them)
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2013-06-03 18:07:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Shijin > Pummel is Gravitation, not Darkness.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2013-06-03 18:25:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Almost a page deep and noone said it:

"Adoulin"
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-06-03 18:28:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Puppetmaster
[+]
By Lariae 2013-06-03 20:24:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes yes.. many misspellings. I wrote it when I was tired. Sorry about that.
First Page 2