Judge To Reverse Conviction In MySpace Hoax

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Judge to reverse conviction in MySpace hoax
Judge to reverse conviction in MySpace hoax
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Caitsith.Visper
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Visper
By Caitsith.Visper 2009-07-02 15:48:05
Link | Quote | Reply

All I can say is I thought 3 years was light for what she did... yup this just goes to show you its ok if you contribute to the death of a child or kill someone while your driving drunk (Donte Stallworth only got 30 days) but if your cruel to animals you get 2-3 years... just wow. Im not saying that its ok to be cruel to animals but really, shouldnt the punishment be more for harm to people???

Here is the story if you havn't heard:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31708526/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-07-02 15:50:36
Link | Quote | Reply

We need new Judges >.>
hear too many of the "Child rapist get 6 months of jail" and all the "lady gets brain freeze and sews Ice cream stand for 40k"
[+]
 Hades.Medjai
Server: Hades
user: medjai
By Hades.Medjai 2009-07-02 15:50:58
Link | Quote | Reply

thats the american justice system for you kill a few dogs 3 years in prison kill a human being while drunk and high get 30s days YAAY our *** priorites as humans/americans are completly *** up
[+]
 Caitsith.Visper
Server: Caitsith
user: Visper
By Caitsith.Visper 2009-07-02 15:56:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Really makes me sick to my stomach anymore, this country is nowhere near the gold standard a lot of American's "think" it is. Laughing stock, maybe... a lot of people from countries through-out the world on here that can comment on that...
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-07-02 16:21:32
Link | Quote | Reply

While this woman should be punished in some fashion for the grief and misery so caused.

The law they tried to convict her under wasn't written for the purpose of what they tried to convict her under. Really 3 years for a misdemeanor?

A bad means to a good end does justice to no one...

IF people are truly outraged write your state reps, your senators, your elected officials and get a true cyber-bullying law written.

Understand the facts before you start talking about judges gone wrong and the state of the courts in this country...
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-07-02 16:23:23
Link | Quote | Reply

My *** *** congressman and senator wont take my call or letters >.>
[+]
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-07-02 16:25:21
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

It's not really the Judge's fault, it's the poorly written and vague laws that pertain to these type of incidents and crimes that let people get away with heinous and inexcusable crimes.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-07-02 16:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

THANK GOD someone has a brain!

Artemicion said:
It's not really the Judge's fault, it's the poorly written and vague laws that pertain to these type of incidents and crimes that let people get away with heinous and inexcusable crimes.
^this
 Cerberus.Boundsoul
Server: Cerberus
user: Boundsoul
By Cerberus.Boundsoul 2009-07-02 16:51:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:
While this woman should be punished in some fashion for the grief and misery so caused.

The law they tried to convict her under wasn't written for the purpose of what they tried to convict her under. Really 3 years for a misdemeanor?

A bad means to a good end does justice to no one...

IF people are truly outraged write your state reps, your senators, your elected officials and get a true cyber-bullying law written.

Understand the facts before you start talking about judges gone wrong and the state of the courts in this country...

Artemicion said:

Right, but all that aside, it still doesn't change the fact that the government and justice system in this country has all but diminished the sense of pride this nation once had back when everyone was a freedom seeking refugee. Where's the sense of pride and brotherhood this country came together with after 9/11? that lasted for about 5 minutes. while there are many countries that have fewer freedoms, they know that and their governments don't hide it. where as the U.S. chooses to lie, cheat, and steal from its own people.

this isn't the proper venue for such an arguement, and it'll most likely be flamed anyway, so back to the topic.

isn't necessarily a poorly written law, considering the content of the law doesn't include cyber-bullying cuz at the time it was written it didn't exist. situations like this happening shouldn't just spur charges to be filed, they should spur lawmakers to amend existing laws so that all newer forms of a punishable offense will be covered. so i don't blame the judge, he did what he hadd to working with what he had, i blame the lawmakers. and none the less, there shouldn't be a release in this situation. it wouldn't take long to seek federal intervention where as they could be detained, while laws are thoroughly checked or amended.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-02 17:09:37
Link | Quote | Reply

stupid impressionable teenager, so gullible in believing the ***, and on MySpace no less.

That girl who hanged herself, yeah shes in the deepest part of Hell reserved for those who commit suicide.

That lady needs to get laid by someone who is of age who has a life.

Half the people on MySpace are fictional characters anyway.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Liquidz
Server: Pandemonium
user: liquidz
By Pandemonium.Liquidz 2009-07-02 17:10:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The girl killed herself because her virtual boyfriend(who in fact was a fake set up made by the lady) broke up with her?

I just wanna be sure I understand...
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-02 17:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Liquidz said:
The girl killed herself because her virtual boyfriend(who in fact was a fake set up made by the lady) broke up with her?

I just wanna be sure I understand...

yeah, that is correct, and thanks for the fix Row.
 Fenrir.Shindo
Server: Fenrir
user: Shindo
By Fenrir.Shindo 2009-07-02 17:17:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't care. Human beings are filthy disgusting creatures. I'd much rather see someone go to jail for murdering a dog than a person.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-07-02 17:19:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Look man, when laws are written it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

If written too broadly, everyone's pissed off, we're running afoul of civil libertarians, and we have a situation where our freedoms are being too severely restricted.

If you write it too loosely, what's the point? There are no safeguards and you end up not solving the problem.

Most lawmakers try to strike a balance HOWEVER one can not account for all the myriad ways human beings will act. To do so is folly, and if you tried to legislate that way you're going to end up with laws that are unreadable on account of sheer length which in the end only causes more problems than solved.

The best laws are those that are simple and easily understood. In fact there have been cases where people have escaped prosecution because courts have felt that the statute at issue was incomprehensible. In those cases, those accused had no idea a law was even being broken.

In the case at hand, she's innocent. She hasn't broken a law. Her notoriety is her punishment. Nothing more should be done, and if a law is passed that would criminalize what she did, put her name on it. Shame her to death. That said, she couldn't and shouldn't be prosecuted under any such law because it'd be unconstitutional to do so. Due process and all...

So what do you want? Do you want her stoned? Do you want my tax dollars to pay for her to be in prison? What's the point here?

You can rail against lawmakers all you want. Those SoB's piss me off too, however trite wishes for "they could do X, Y, Z" on the internets isn't going to get it done.
[+]
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-07-02 17:26:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
Kungfuhustle said:

All the people on MySpace are fictional characters anyway.

Fixed.

Truth!
 Seraph.Majinn
Server: Seraph
user: Cojak
By Seraph.Majinn 2009-07-02 18:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I still don't get how it was the woman's fault for the teenager committing suicide. That's like me telling someone to go jump off a bridge because he/she pisses me off. If he or she ever did go do it and died does that mean I'll be held as an accomplice to someone's suicide? That's ***, what this case really comes down to is parents not doing their damn jobs and monitoring their kids' behavior. If someone commits suicide they obviously had mental issues that should have been addressed and treated if possible.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Luignata
Server: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2009-07-02 18:54:26
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like the recent news with Michael Jackson. No one would shut the hell up about it. Apparently Michael Jackson is more important then Iran's corrupt government terrorizing it's own people, or the American's that are dying over in Iraq fighting this war, or the airplane that crashed in the middle of the sea killing everyone aboard. Seriously, ONE person creates this much buzz when hundreds are dying in other events and you get one or two stories on that.

Our nation really needs to get it's priorities straight.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-02 19:00:46
Link | Quote | Reply

simply put... stupid gullible teenagers
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-07-02 20:02:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
"Blah blah blah this is stupid blah blah doesn't affect me blah blah blah who cares blah"

Every day I hate people a little more, even around here.

As long as you dont Join Korpg's worldwide genocide its ok.
 Phoenix.Amael
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amael 2009-07-02 20:14:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lets throw some light on the subject

Judge to acquit Mom in MySpace Suicide

Taken from that:

MSNBC said:
LOS ANGELES - A federal judge on Thursday tentatively threw out the convictions of a Missouri mother for her role in a MySpace hoax directed at a 13-year-old neighbor girl who ended up committing suicide.

U.S. District Judge George Wu said he was tentatively acquitting Lori Drew of misdemeanor counts of accessing computers without authorization.

Drew was convicted in November, but the judge said that if she is to be found guilty of illegally accessing computers, anyone who has ever violated the social networking site's terms of service would be guilty of a misdemeanor.

"You could prosecute pretty much anyone who violated terms of service," he said.

(/panic) Those who use Windower are ????ED!

MSNBC said:
The judge, who had delayed the ruling repeatedly, reminded participants that it is only a tentative ruling until he files it in writing.

Prosecutors had sought the maximum three-year prison sentence and a $300,000 fine, but it had been uncertain going into Thursday's hearing whether Drew would be sentenced.

Now this is what happened:

MSNBC said:
Prosecutors say Drew sought to humiliate Megan by helping create a fictitious teen boy on the social networking site and sending flirtatious messages to the girl in his name. The fake boy then dumped Megan in a message saying the world would be better without her.

She hanged herself a short time later in October 2006 in the St. Louis suburb of Dardenne Prairie, Mo.

Drew was not directly charged with causing Megan's death. Instead, prosecutors indicted her under the federal Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, which in the past has been used in hacking and trademark theft cases.

Artemicion said:

^This pretty much wraps it up.
 Hades.Oakie
Server: Hades
user: Oakie
By Hades.Oakie 2009-07-03 22:49:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone who even thinks of committing suicide actually deserves to stay off this planet. I've gone through much heavier ***as a child and never once though about killing myself. Just my two cents. I'm not condoning what the woman did; what she did was wrong. But still... killing yourself? Over a boy? Thats just wayy too far.
[+]
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Server: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-07-03 23:16:50
Link | Quote | Reply

hehehe I Hate lawyers....they find loop holes....and change the meaning of words...they alter reality for their own need...

I don't blame the judge...you have to understand certain things your congressman will not see coming... tbh try putting yourself in his feet...you will always find some HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE situation that's pretty much located in the black/gray side of the law

The reason the system doesn't work is the judge can't use his commen sense. He needs to pull out this crappy "law book" and try to find a "law" that this individual violated or find a "case" similar to this and try to use it.

Sense everything is sooo by the book its pretty easy to find loop holes.
"since law makers can't think of every single way someone can hurt/steal/kill someone"
So its normal that something like this the judge find himself clueless on how 2 punish this person...sense there is no "direct" law saying she did something wrong

To sum it up

The system doesn't work

Law makers, Congressman/ woman, etc etc

they can alter, add, change w/e they can but again the system will never work

that's my 2cent
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-07-03 23:22:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Thunderz get a clue... When it comes before the judge, it's not up to them to find a law broken to save the prosecution...the judge only decides what is put in front of him/her.

It's the prosecution's fault that they had a weak case, they couldn't find anything to charge this woman with that would allow them to send her to jail.

If anything it's the fault of lawmakers for having done nothing and by extension the fault of people for not making cyber-bullying an issue with those lawmakers representing them.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Server: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-07-03 23:30:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats kinda what I meant

The prosecutions tries to find a law that you violated and work on that

but if there is no law backing them up they can't do anything

Also the system is very slow. A lot of paper work to be done then the whole

bureaucracy kicks in *voting in law 144B Cyber~bullying*

But even if that was done I don't think she can be brought back to court again after

being acquitted.

IMO The justice system is a aging system and as the years go by you see the rust...

edit: "Also Bureaucrats only react after something really bad happens or public pressure..."
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-03 23:51:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Kungfuhustle said:
simply put... stupid gullible teenagers
[+]
 Fairy.Azulmagia
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-04 00:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:

My governor was just caught in Argentina having an affair with another woman paying for the trip with possibly taxpayer money.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-07-04 00:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Azulmagia said:
Ludoggy said:

My governor was just caught in Argentina having an affair with another woman paying for the trip with possibly taxpayer money.

Typical.

Also, did you guys see Sarah Palin is stepping down as Gov. of Alaska? She's gonna run for PRESIDENT (I don't know whether to LMAO or want to /wrists)
 Fairy.Azulmagia
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-04 00:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Azulmagia said:
Ludoggy said:

Typical.

Also, did you guys see Sarah Palin is stepping down as Gov. of Alaska? She's gonna run for PRESIDENT (I don't know whether to LMAO or want to /wrists)

Her approval ratings in Alaska were dropping like a big number tw-(wait, probably not the best response to you ^^) Either way, she'll never get elected as president. The US can't be THAT stupid... can it? <.<
First Page 2 3 4 5