Puppet Master Sub Job?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Puppet Master sub job?
Puppet Master sub job?
First Page 2
 Asura.Materdark
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Materdark 2013-05-03 17:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I just started to play Puppet Master again can anyone tell me whats the best sub job to use for pup for solo and do I stick with Water Maneuver?
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2013-05-03 17:58:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say /dnc, but I haven't played pup since the lv 75 cap, sans abyssea burning it to 90
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-05-03 17:59:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Situational. What are you planning on doing exactly?
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2013-05-03 18:00:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I've used /whm for soloing purposes.
 Cerberus.Diabolique
user: Uchitoru
By Cerberus.Diabolique 2013-05-03 18:24:20
Link | Quote | Reply

What level Pup are you and which frames do you have access to? It's hard to help when you're mostly anonymous there.
 Ragnarok.Allslove
Server: Ragnarok
user: Allslove
By Ragnarok.Allslove 2013-05-03 18:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're just starting out with PUP, a few tips:
(Forgive me if you're actually a higher level, I couldn't find your jobs anywhere)

1) Let the Automaton solo everything. It has its own skills that will need skill ups. Letting it do all the work will help it get those skill ups.

2) Typical sub jobs include /WAR /DNC and /NIN, depending on what you're doing. If you plan to solo a lot, /DNC for the Waltzes, or use Stormwaker or Soulsoother.

3) Maneuver use depends completely on what attachments you have equipped and what you want the Automaton to do.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-05-03 18:44:20
Link | Quote | Reply

/DNC is pretty redundant as a sub since the SS auto can handle the same tasks as Waltzes can. It's useful for whenever you need a low cooldown stun and of course Spectral Jig if you're too frugal for oils/powders.

Even without SS, Role Reversal and the VE/Sharpshot frames make for efficient soloing on lower level targets that don't riddle you with status effects and AOE damage (but that's assuming level 75 and over).
[+]
 Cerberus.Masterdarkjedi
By Cerberus.Masterdarkjedi 2013-05-03 19:50:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lvl 75
Might just do that pup/whm solo in aby to skill up
 Lakshmi.Jimmothy
Guildwork Premium
By Lakshmi.Jimmothy 2013-05-03 20:06:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Once you get to the point where you feel comfortable soloing NM's with the ValorEdge frame, you should consider soloing the Ironclads a lot, that was how I capped melee and ranged skills for puppet when the 90-99 caps were all released. Magic skills will certainly be the easiest to cap, just use the Soulsoother frame and us /WAR and go to town on ***. And for soloing, in reality you can use almost any sub you want, I suggest playing around with them and finding out what suits your playstyle. I personally for shits and giggles love to solo some NM's as /SAM simply for the ability to open with 3 WS skillchains and taking out half of their HP in one go.

Also, I know you just asked about sub jobs but, do you have Stringing Pummel yet? If not I highly suggest getting it even if you have Victory Smite, it really is a fantastic WS.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-05-03 20:14:43
Link | Quote | Reply

And yes, use water maneuvers with the Percolator attachment for the increased skill up rate on the auto.
By Enuyasha 2013-05-03 20:18:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of skillups, where would a nice place to skill be? Aby on NMs, stuff like vunkerl_s crabs, or something else?
 Cerberus.Masterdarkjedi
By Cerberus.Masterdarkjedi 2013-05-03 20:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I have Victory Smite looking forward lvling it again
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-05-03 20:24:05
Link | Quote | Reply

For the melee skill, I used regen atmas x3 and watched Netflix while the auto smacked crabs in A-Vunkerl. Did something similar with ranged skill but on Abyssea worms.
 Cerberus.Masterdarkjedi
By Cerberus.Masterdarkjedi 2013-05-03 20:43:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Does the DG atma work for this pet
 Bismarck.Yamisam
Server: Bismarck
user: Yamisam
By Bismarck.Yamisam 2013-05-03 20:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Depending on what I'm doing I use either /NIN or /SCH.
 Asura.Exaudis
Server: Asura
By Asura.Exaudis 2013-05-03 20:48:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Masterdarkjedi said: »
DG does not work on automatons(or I haven't gotten it to work anyways)

Edit: I should say it doesn't work like it does on SMN and BST. I could be out of date, but I recall DG giving SMN and BST pets the damage reduction even at 100% hp, which doesn't happen for automatons.

Edit2: or maybe I'm completely wrong about how it works on SMN and BST
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-05-03 20:48:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes. It triggers at <50% health similar to Beastmaster pets.
 Cerberus.Masterdarkjedi
By Cerberus.Masterdarkjedi 2013-05-04 08:11:29
Link | Quote | Reply

as of now this is what i got for Automaton:
Soulsoother C-1000 head
Stormwaker Y-700 frame
mana tank 2
mana conserver
auto repair kit2
flashbulb
shock absorber
armor plate 2
percolator
damage gauge
loundspeaker2
mana booster
heat seeker
stabilizer
Any input i should make so it can tank and gain alot of skills?
lvl 99 now i'm ws at 5k-6k
 Ragnarok.Allslove
Server: Ragnarok
user: Allslove
By Ragnarok.Allslove 2013-05-04 08:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Does Shock Absorber still only provide 100 HP stoneskin? I haven't used it since the early levels.

When I use Soulsoother with Stormwaker frame, my setup is:

Disruptor or Mana Converter
Mana Conserver
Optic Fiber
Damage Gauge
Flashbulb
Auto Repair Kit 1
Mana Booster
Power Cooler
Turbo Charger (I usually have it meleeing with me)
Armor Plate 1 and 2
--And/Or--
Mana Jammer 1 and 2
--Or--
Coiler
Dynamo

Soulsoother doesn't have any offensive elemental magic programmed into it, so you can drop the Loudspeakers for something else.

If you're looking to gain magic skill ups, go to Beadeaux and stand near an Afflictor without silence on. Deploy on a monster out of range but not so much that it goes to melee it. With the constant Curse status, it will fall into a permanent cycle of Cursna. (At least, this is how I did it back in the day. Not sure if it works with its faster casting AI).
 Cerberus.Masterdarkjedi
By Cerberus.Masterdarkjedi 2013-05-04 13:27:26
Link | Quote | Reply

What atma do i use if i want the pet to tank only for skill up

Atma of the Minikin Monstrosity
Atma of the Ducal Guard
Atma of the Sea Daughter
what do you think?
 Shiva.Spathaian
Server: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2013-05-04 13:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Allslove said: »
Does Shock Absorber still only provide 100 HP stoneskin? I haven't used it since the early levels.
Shock Absorber was fixed to provide a better stoneskin based on level/earth maneuvers back when they messed with all the other attachments a couple years ago. Not sure if we ever tested for the equation or cap of it though.

Edit: I'd also take Mounted Champion over Sea Daughter.
 Lakshmi.Jimmothy
Guildwork Premium
By Lakshmi.Jimmothy 2013-05-04 19:51:18
Link | Quote | Reply

What atma do i use if i want the pet to tank only for skill up

Atma of the Minikin Monstrosity
Atma of the Ducal Guard
Atma of the Sea Daughter
what do you think?

If you are talking about ValorEdge or SharpShooter tanking for skillups I'm curious as to the reasoning behind MM Atma. Another regen atma or something like Atma of the Lion, which has PDT- and TA on it for more hits would be much more beneficial for skillups. Also for VE tanking Barrier Module is always a good choice.

Against fodder mobs for skillups a good combo is , Armor Plate II, Barrier Module, Shock Absorber, Hammermill, Coiler, Galvanizer, Heat seeker, Auto Repair Kit I and II, Smoke Screen (Will raise acc which helps with the low skill level, and lowers eva so that galvanizer has more chances to kick in) Turbo Charger, and Tactical Processor, there isn't much need for attack if you are just after skill ups.

With that setup you can just rotate Earth, Light, Thunder (or wind for more haste) you're gonna have Regen atmas on, and you will get the extra ticks from Auto Repair Kits which will help. Thunder maneuver will give you a higher chance to counter with Galvanizer on, or Wind for the haste from Turbo charger. On a side note, if your skill is high enough for Cannibal Blade, you can throw in a dark maneuver when light is the first one in rotation so that it pushes it out of the way and forces a cannibal blade for extra health if your puppet is struggling.

and as for Atmas for that setup:

Ducal Guard, Mounted Champion, Lion or something similar, another regen atma might benefit you more if you are struggling to keep your puppet alive, but in most cases you shouldn't be. I have always fought Ironclads using DG, RR, VV with no trouble.
 Cerberus.Masterdarkjedi
By Cerberus.Masterdarkjedi 2013-05-05 11:07:58
Link | Quote | Reply

don't have Ducal Guard yet so i might go all regen
Atma of the Mounted Champion
Atma of Vicissitude
Atma of the Stronghold

since i can't see my pets mp i was thinking Atma of the Minikin Monstrosity would be good to get fair amount or mp and let it spam cure on me
 Lakshmi.Jimmothy
Guildwork Premium
By Lakshmi.Jimmothy 2013-05-05 11:24:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, in Abyssea if you are just fighting for skillups, you really wont need a refresh atma, no sense gimping yourself when you have tools like Deus Ex Automata at your disposal, and the Deactivate-Activate trick for full MP. Worst comes to worst, say you have 1100 HP and your auto is 1050 out of 1080 you just role reversal, then deactivate-activate pop a light maneuver and heal. That's one of my favorite tricks, some people don't merit RR, which I personally think is crazy sometimes. That skill has saved my life so many times, it's paid for itself over and over again.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-05-05 11:53:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah if you don't have Role Reversal then you need to have your head examined.
[+]
 Sylph.Kakashiiix
By Sylph.Kakashiiix 2013-05-05 11:55:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes Role reversal is awesome specially if ur not a dawn Muslim dependent and repair is on cd. They should just give us that ability w/o merit points but o well. I solo mobs as /nin, war sch, whm, DMV. Nin only reason is for ninjutsu yellow proc.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2013-05-05 12:30:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Kakashi! What's up man?

My 2 cents:

Get Ducal Guard ASAP. That's a must-have for pet jobs in Abyssea, combined with Valoredge shield blocks, gear, and other atmas can make your pet very tough.

For skillup, use Ducal Guard, Mounted Champion, Vicissitude. This will work on ironclads or chariots with either Valoredge or Sharpshot. I used Light/Water/Earth or Light/Water/Wind (for the extra haste).

For soloing stuff like ICs using Valoredge, you'll use something like DG/RR/VV. Pet-only solos on PUP are a bit different than pet-only solos on BST; automaton gains immensely from Regain/Store TP since there's no hard timer on weaponskills, and String Shredder is a potent WS. I just did a bunch of the Misareaux Coast IC for Ardor Jewels, and using this atma combination I got kills down to 7-10 minutes using only pet. There are other Abyssea fights where you'd need to use "turtling" atmas like I mentioned for skillup. Stuff like Bennu just hits very hard for us, and we have longer timers/lower potency on Repair compared to BST's Reward.

I don't have Role Reversal but I use my PUP in duo more often than not. FYI, you can see your pet's MP using a macro. I think Windower has a plugin that also show's auto MP.
 Sylph.Kakashiiix
By Sylph.Kakashiiix 2013-05-05 23:30:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Safiyyah said: »
I don't have Role Reversal but I use my PUP in duo more often than not. FYI, you can see your pet's MP using a macro. I think Windower has a plugin that also show's auto MP.

<petmpp> mp %
 Cerberus.Zyph
user: Maerina
By Cerberus.Zyph 2013-05-06 15:37:02
Link | Quote | Reply

For skillup, use Ducal Guard, Mounted Champion, Vicissitude. This will work on ironclads or chariots with either Valoredge or Sharpshot. I used Light/Water/Earth or Light/Water/Wind (for the extra haste).

Just starting to get into romping around Abyssea with PUP, are you saying that you're skilling up by fighting Ironclads and Chariots? Can you (or anyone) provide more info?
 Sylph.Safiyyah
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2013-05-07 23:18:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Zyph said: »

Just starting to get into romping around Abyssea with PUP, are you saying that you're skilling up by fighting Ironclads and Chariots? Can you (or anyone) provide more info?

Absolutely. It is the best way to skillup, because you don't have to keep switching mobs after they die. I capped melee doing this, got something like 50 points in 2-3 hours of Altepa, and I'll do my last couple of points for ranged the same way. Yes, Sharpshot can tank most IC or Chariot with DG+2xRegen atma.
First Page 2