First Page 2
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-06-23 04:15:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Hihi,

My friend (who hasn't registered on here) asked me if I could get some help off the FFXIAH community. So here I am >_>

They're 62THF and want to know what gear they "need" to be using atm/soon.

They have:

Corsair's Knife
Bone Knife +1 (Upgraded to Hoplite's Harpe at 68)
Arbalest +1
Empress Hairpin
Chivalrous Chain
Drone Earring
Drone Earring
Rapparee Harness
Rogue's Armlets
Garrulous Ring (STR+3 AGI+3, for those that don't know the stats XD)
Sniper's Ring
Amemet Mantle +1
Potent Belt
Bravo's Subligar
Bounding Boots

Anyone have any "immediate" recommendations? Trying to keep monetary costs as low as possible, budgeted to around 100k atm.

This is also going to be totally awesome for when I level THF, as it'll give me some references!
 Asura.Vespera
Server: Asura
By Asura.Vespera 2009-06-23 04:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks good, but some attack earrings would be much better while meleeing, and something like a harvest earring or minuet earring would be much better for SA and SADE. Keep the drones for TA and TAWS.

Also a scorpion harness for fighting evasive mobs would help since haste works best on something you can have nearly capped accuracy on.

Keep battle gloves for the accuracy, the AF should be for weapon skills and Sneak Attack.

A second accuracy ring would be great, but whatever they can afford. I'm currently using Woodsman + Ecphoria.

Other than that it looks pretty good.
 Bahamut.Etrayis
Server: Bahamut
user: Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-06-23 04:25:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, never saw the purpose of a Garrulous Ring in anything really. Another Acc ring or a DEX+ at the least would be nice. I also agree that a Scorp may be more useful at that level.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-06-23 04:30:48
Link | Quote | Reply

yea i agree with vesp on those points... battle gloves SH atk earring 1 more acc ring.... drones Garrulous and a DEX or AGI+ Ring for SA TA SATA only

other than that yea it looks pretty good.. imo id use a power crossbow for the agi+1 or even a lightning bow(+1) unless ur caped on marksmanship and hiting w/ acid etc having a dmging xbow is sorta useless and id say maybe consider a bomb core when he lvls

Edit**

Yea at 74 a Staurobow is like the best of both worlds for Agi+4 demon killer and nice Dmg.. Bomb Core if ur not pulling though or hitting bolts.
 Quetzalcoatl.Irie
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Galatea
By Quetzalcoatl.Irie 2009-06-23 04:36:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I think I did Cermet kukri +1 & hornetneedle at that LVL... was years ago.
Everything Vespera said is good.
Also, highest dmg weapon goes in main hand.
sirocco kukri @ 69, 100% wind proc dmg, and lowest delay dagger

Hard to upgrade much with only 100k (dunno if it was total or per piece)
And eqpt swaps for TA (agi) and SA (dex) would benefit greatly, though the good stuff is higher level of course :P

myffxigear.kicks-***.org
Great site if you learn to manipulate the settings correctly
 Midgardsormr.Athial
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Athial
By Midgardsormr.Athial 2009-06-23 06:57:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I always labored under the idea that you should have the lowest possible delay offhand weapon that you can get without sacrificing damage completely. That said, once you're of level... camp Sirocco. Right now? A Hornetneedle would be a good offhand... and what's better is that it's completely free and totally easy to obtain.

Two items that are pretty much unbeatable for their individual purposes are a Jaeger Ring (Free accuracy/racc ring) and a Voyager Sallet (Low level WS headpiece). These are great and also pretty easy to obtain granted that you have access to Riverne #A01. The NM is almost always up and you can do the fight with as few as 3 people easily.

Also, kudos to you for camping Lizzy and Emperor! I love to see people putting in the effort of getting the R/E versions of gear. Kudos also for not using an NQ Amemet Mantle. x.x

My only other suggestion would be to try for a Swift Belt (granted that you have Sacrarium access). It too, is free. The Codexes aren't hard to farm and the NM can be done with as few as well... one... but safer in a party.

Anyway, hope this helps a bit. Happy Thiefing!

A.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-06-23 07:41:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't necessarily suggesting the Hoplites would go in the sub slot, that was just the way their gear was listed at the time, so I was merely pointing out they were upgrading the Bone Knife to Harpe.

My friend is attempting to get Swift Belt, but is having no luck getting the drop, though she isn't getting too down about it and simply keeps trying.

Voyager Sallet would be a bit of a problem, no-one (not even SMN's or BLM's with Melee jobs) want to go kill the Fly.. I'd love a sallet myself too XD

I'll let them know a Hornetneedle would be a good investment and see if they want to go try to get one.

Thanks for the tips, anything else would be much appreciated!
 Asura.Eeek
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-06-23 08:10:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Some good advice has already been given, so I'll just help build on it.

Let's start with daggers. Corsair's/Bone+1 isn't a bad combo at this level since it provides 15 attack and 5 accuracy, and THF at all levels desperately needs both (for comparison's sake, I used Darksteel +1/Chicken Knife). Once your friend makes it to level 68, do not, for any reason, use a sub68 dagger! I have a habit of checking other THFs, and I don't think it's common knowledge that SE increased the base damage of level 68+ daggers a few years ago. I see far too many Hornetneedles and Garuda's Daggers on on 75THFs (although the Garuda's could be excused for PvP purposes).

Your friend has hit a tough level stretch on THF. 60 is where you have to learn to play the job all over again. At this point, they need to start building specific equipment sets for SA, TA, TP, and WS at minimum: stack DEX gear for solo SA, stack AGI gear for solo TA, a balance of accuracy/attack/haste for TP (balanced more towards attack since 95% of THFs leveling to 75 need to eat sushi...meat is for THFs with dagger merits and the pinnacle of accuracy gear), and a WS set with attack/accuracy/DEX. It's tough recommending gear specifically for someone's Dancing Edge gearset since it's such a finnicky WS.

Also, I'll second a recommendation I saw for Bomb Core. That 12 attack helps out a lot, and it's a great option since so many exp mobs in ToAU are resistant to Acid Bolts (notable exception is Eruca). Since your friend will probably be a puller, have them buy Darts from an NPC in their home nation (Wiki will help them find it). Use this as a pulling macro:

/p Ranged Attack >>> Fishing <t>
/equip ammo "Dart"
/ra <t>
/wait 2
/equip ammo "Bomb Core"

Both the Bomb Core and Fire Bomblet are now unthrowable, and you don't lose TP when swapping gear in the ammo slot.

There's so much more I want to write, but the clock just hit 8 and I have to get to work. If I have some time later on today, I'll check back up on this thread.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-06-23 08:14:08
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't have to have SMN or BLM to get a sallet. I got mine and my Dobson off the same group in a standard pt set up. We were otw to do a mission or something for someone and just decided to check on flys for shits and giggles and there they were.

We had a pld who would pull the first one (which agro's them all) and pulled one off him and killed asap, then wiped. (Main thing is, just to kill one). RR and repeat. I think we wiped a total of 3 times before there were few enough to hold w/o dying instantly.

Granted this isn't the best way to do it, but it's an option if you don't have the SMN avaliable.

To the question though. I think the biggest upgrade this friend can make is getting a SH. 6% total haste isn't doing much for you @ lvl 62 but 10 Acc is the world. That's not counting the fact that you will never be at Acc cap at anything other than merit pt (with pimped gear and merits). Tell thf friend SH get NAO.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-06-23 09:46:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Eeek is such an awesome name :O

And yeah, use SH unless your accuracy is definitely >90%.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-06-23 10:03:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Raenryong said:
Eeek is such an awesome name :O

And yeah, use SH unless your accuracy is definitely >90%.

And considering the other gear, it's not, so tell her to get a SH.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-06-23 10:11:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya remember, if you're going to be Sa mobs and such Rem Dex is your ultimate best friend. I use my thf knife when farming, and was able to aquire a Garuda's Dagger( You want a fast hitting dagger so you want I think lower dps so that you will be hitting faster.. so get a fast dagger( Hornet needle is nice). IF you are able to see my profile fast enough before it changes to sam.. or blm, yo ucan see that my set up is quite nice..

It bascially depends on wut your doing. Epeening a Nm or Going straight out dodge mode.. having great evasion, like me at overcapping my evasion bonus gear at 304, when it capped at 285 something...( great when soloing or dualing NM;s)

Just my imho.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-23 11:59:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah only skimmed but why upgrade to hoplites harpe when at the same lvl you get harpe which is same delay and 3 more dmg making it tied for 3rd highest in the game not counting latents?
 Odin.Dryzt
Server: Odin
user: Dryzt
By Odin.Dryzt 2009-06-23 12:08:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
Yeah only skimmed but why upgrade to hoplites harpe when at the same lvl you get harpe which is same delay and 3 more dmg making it tied for 3rd highest in the game not counting latents?

because it's cheaper
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-06-23 12:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cost?

With a 100k budget, buying a Harpe is out of the question, and being honest, I've not looked up places to "farm" it.

Now, before people get apparently more confused, I'm not looking to gear my own THF (which is Lv.37 and will probably stay there until after I've finished SAM and NIN), so I'm not going to say "Go farm 400k and get that one which is better, but isn't a 'make-or-break' piece"

Someone asked me to do something, and I agreed. I'm not going to attempt to push the boundaries that were set, by her, for me.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-23 12:11:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol it's only 500k. You could use same excuse on why to not even upgrade or not use amements+1
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-06-23 12:13:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
Lol it's only 500k. You could use same excuse on why to not even upgrade or not use amements+1

Before I carry on replying to you, Please, click me..
 Odin.Dryzt
Server: Odin
user: Dryzt
By Odin.Dryzt 2009-06-23 12:20:22
Link | Quote | Reply

not everyone has the luxury of saying only 500k :o
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-23 12:21:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't see the budget... and as to your smart *** definition that'd be all nice and good if I had seen the post you'd made only like 40 sec before mine. I could rant on but suffice to say only willing to spend 100k on any job that level is silly. You could spend a couple million and still not be fully pimped not even counting speed belt which is really not worth it unless your really rich. Your probably not gonna be able to solo harpe mob. I'd get a voyager sallet if you have a 40+ blm or a few smn friends.
Dryzt said:
not everyone has the luxury of saying only 500k :o

If your talking endgame or close you should. Otherwise you are probably super gimp. Most my 75s have millions in gear on them even on the ones that wear mostly ra/ex. And I'm still not geared nowhere as good as I'd like
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-06-23 12:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Please take note of a few key words, which you may have noticed, had you actually read what I wrote across the whole 2 posts I had in here before your first comment.

Dasva said:
to say only willing to spend 100k on any job that level is silly.

Nowhere did I say I was willing to spend 100k on any job I level. If I find a piece of gear that costs 2mil that I know will be worth the price in every way, I'll get it as soon as I have 2mil that I don't need for something more important.

Now, I also mentioned that my THF is 37, and on several occasions that I'm posting this on behalf of someone else. Now, I was given a set budget for a few small upgrades at this moment. That is it, "At This Moment". Yes, if someone finds an item that will cost 650k and is something that is "needed" at 75 to be good at a job, I'm sure my friend wont have any problems saving up the 650k to buy it, when she's closer to it.

Now, spending 400k or so on something that is, in fact, not a "make or break" piece in any way, form or fasion, when there was a set budget is, as I said, out of the question.

There have been some posts in here, that don't focus on "getting the best", but "getting upgrades" that work well within that 100k.

Example: Vespa recommended Battle Gloves. They were, the last time I checked, 10k. They may also make a good "upgrade" from AF hands. There were also a few Rare/Ex options thrown in, some that I already mentioned were being worked on, some I forgot about.

People have mentioned SH a few times, now.. Interesting point, it's over the "100k budget" but it's a fairly essential item, both at 57 and at 75. It turns out, she already has one, so that's saved her 200k or so that she might have had to spend.

Dear Dasva,
In general, I respect both you and your posts. You typically show a good knowledge of your jobs and have very valid reasons behind your opinions, but the way you express those opinions a lot of the time makes you sound very new to the game. You make it sound as if just because something is easy or simple to you, then no-one else would have any trouble with it. (Example "It's only 500k"). 500k to you may be pocket money from some HNM or such, you may be able to spend 2mil in Synth materials and make a HQ god knows what that scores you 5mil in profit, I don't know. Other people don't always have that sort of luxury behind them.
[+]
 Asura.Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-06-23 12:47:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:

There's a very simple reason to use a Hoplite's Harpe over a Harpe at 68: personal finances.

Hoplite's Harpe: 10k
Harpe: 520k

That 510k can make a huge difference for someone putting together gearsets on their first job to 75 or for someone without much melee gear (i.e. a career mage on their first melee job).

Also, you can't dual-wield Harpes. They're tagged Rare. Even though dual-wielding Hoplite Harpes (or Harpe/H. Harpe) makes you swing slowly, you'll still do more weaponskill damage and damage over time than with one of the considerably weaker sub 68 daggers. The ideal option is to sub WAR with a Harpe for level 68 until you can camp/equip a Sirocco Kukri at 69, but good luck getting an invite as THF/WAR or convincing a party leader that THF can sub anything other than NIN.

Also, Frobeus makes a good point about accuracy for a THF prior to 75. Sushi alone will not cap it, especially if your party is overcamping as happens so often. Scorpion Harness, accuracy rings, and an accuracy belt (if needed, I liked Swordbelt +1) will go a long way towards helping a THF get their accuracy up where it should be.

Working from Hitetsu's listed gear, I'll give some gear suggestions based upon what I used 2 years ago when I was leveling up my THF. I'm working off memory here, so if I miss something or someone can suggest a better piece of gear, please speak up.

Corsair's Knife[/b
[b]Bone Knife +1 (Upgraded to Hoplite's Harpe at 68)

I'm going to leave this alone for the time being. Dagger's have already been discussed.

Arbalest +1

It'll work, but I think I was still using a Thug's Zamburak at this level for its Ranged Accuracy. At 63, look into a Bomb Core and Darts for pulling. Velocity Bow is also an option at 63.

Empress Hairpin

This is a good SA/TA/Evasion piece, but it's not doing much for you in the TP phase (1 accuracy). If you have the gil, look into a Walkure Mask for its +6 Attack. I think your friend should make other upgrades before this one though.

Chivalrous Chain

This is fine. Besides the expensive PCC, another option is Spectacles for the accuracy and ranged accuracy +7. I know Raen is a proponent of adding STR gear in very specific places under certain circumstances to boost THF's low fSTR. If he wants to comment more on this, I'll leave it to him. I can't speak for him.

Drone Earring
Drone Earring

Aside from Scorpion Harness, this is the spot where a big upgrade needs to happen. Drone Earrings do absolutely nothing for a THF in the TP phase or in a SA set. Invest in a set of Spike Earrings for a total of +10 Attack. They'll benefit you for TP, WS, and to a limited extent, SA.

Rapparee Harness

I know it's expensive for some people, but it's absolutely worth it for a THF to invest in a Scorpion Harness. This is your biggest upgrade to make right now. Unless your accuracy is capped with Sushi and/or buffs, use the SH over a Rapparee (but do carry the Rapparee for casting Utsusemi).

Look into Black Cotehardie (59) for the DEX and AGI boost for solo SA and TA. It has negative CHR on it, so do not use it for Dancing Edge. This cotehardie's big brother is the Blue Cotehardie at level 69. Both are nice until Dragon Harness at 73.
Rogue's Armlets

It's sad that a pair of level 14 gloves are good for so long, but the +3 accuracy and +3 evasion on Battle Gloves are good until 70 for THF. The level 55 Jaridah gloves are also an option. Use the Jaridah/Battle Gloves for TP (and maybe WS depending on your gear), and save the AF gloves for Sneak Attack.

Garrulous Ring (STR+3 AGI+3, for those that don't know the stats XD)
Sniper's Ring

I hope you like carrying rings, because THF uses a lot of them. Ideally, you'll want a pair of accuracy, DEX, AGI, and ranged accuracy rings. Until 72, Garrulous Ring is fine for TA, but that's it. For TP and WS, pair the Sniper's Ring with another accuracy ring. If a second Sniper's is too expensive for your personal budget, look into Venerer (+3), Ecphoria (+4, sp?), or Woodman Rings (+5).

If you can afford it, buy a level 54 AGI ring and two level 54 DEX rings. There are also some good and inexpensive ranged accuracy rings available at level 55 (Scorpion Ring +1?)

Amemet Mantle +1

Perfect.

Potent Belt

This is good for TP and WS. If you find that you can live without its accuracy bonus, look into adding attack in this slot with an NQ or HQ Swordbelt. It's somewhere around level 42 or 43. Also, if you can afford it, pick up a R.K. Belt for SA and TA.

Bravo's Subligar

THF's leg options aren't all that great until 70+. If this is the only haste option that works inyour THF's build, take into consideration the fugly Republic Subligar (level 25), or for a more self-respecting look, Feral Trousers are available at level 63. Both will give you 5 attack. Use your AF pants for TA, but for the love of god, don't use them for anything else! :P

Bounding Boots

THFs also have lousy options for footwear pre70. I used Bounding Boots for SA/TA/WS, and they work very well in those sets. Since I'm Mithra, I think I used the level 30ish RSE feet and their 3 STR for TP. You can use Tabin Boots at 59, but the 1 accuracy they provide is really about the same accuracy you'll get from the DEX on Bounding Boots.

This is all I have time for right now. Hitetsu, I hope this helps out your friend! I know it seems overwhelming, but THF really relies on a wide variety of gear and gearswaps to deal anything other than pitiful damage.
[+]
 Asura.Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-06-23 13:01:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Heh, I completely forgot to mention where I'd start upgrading gear with a 100k budget. Since your friend has a SH, start with a pair of Spike Earrings (hell, even the NQ Fang Earrings are better than Drones for SA, TP, and WS). After that, I'd but a second accuracy ring, even a Venerer or Ecphoria, followed by Battle Gloves.

If there's still gil left over after those purchases, look into the NQ versions of any other the HQ gear I mentioned. For example, a NQ Swordbelt would provide a nice attack boost when the Potent Belt's accuracy isn't needed. Also, gil permitting, look into the HQ level 36 stat rings or NQ level 54 stat rings (whichever's cheaper). I'd buy them in this order (since your friend already has an AGI ring): DEX ring, AGI ring, DEX ring.

I gotta get back to work before my boss notices what I'm doing, but I might poke my head in here from time to time.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-23 13:04:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol at sounding very new at a game while taking money for granted. Seems kinda opposite to me. Any who I still suggest going and getting voyager sallet. It's not that hard. I solo'd mine pretty easy. And it is well worth it. Also the amount of acc you need highly dependent on what you fighting merits yada. I only used SH+1 for like 5 lvls or so I think before I started getting good acc on dancing edge without it but I eat acc food and had 6 merits
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-06-23 13:20:30
Link | Quote | Reply

All what Eeek says is good :o

Eeek said:
Chivalrous Chain

I know Raen is a proponent of adding STR gear in very specific places under certain circumstances to boost THF's low fSTR. If he wants to comment more on this, I'll leave it to him. I can't speak for him.

Indeed! 75% of the time, Chivalrous Chain will beat Spectacles. If you get the fSTR+1 boost, your melee DoT increases by roughly 4%~ which is pretty hefty. 2acc will be a 1.25% increase in melee DoT and WS frequency in somewhat generous conditions and so won't beat the fSTR boost (basically ~2.75% melee DoT vs ~1.25% WS frequency).

Eeek said:
Potent Belt

This is good for TP and WS. If you find that you can live without its accuracy bonus, look into adding attack in this slot with an NQ or HQ Swordbelt. It's somewhere around level 42 or 43. Also, if you can afford it, pick up a R.K. Belt for SA and TA.

I'd personally use Swordbelt+1 for SA/TA until Warwolf/Scouter's; 12atk is pretty hefty and assuming your attack is not capped during SA/TA (in exp it typically won't be especially if you're eating sushi), the 12atk will outdo the raw stats.
[+]
 Asura.Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-06-23 15:10:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Excellent! Raenryong, I'm glad you wandered back into this thread and followed up that point concerning the STR on Chiv Chain. You have a significantly better grasp of mathematics and FFXI damage calculations than I do, so I wanted to leave any comments on THF and fSTR to you.

Also, thanks for pointing out the merits of using NQ/HQ Swordbelt on SA/TA. I ended up doing the same thing, but I mentioned R.K. Belt anyways (I was in a hurry >.<). Thanks for catching that!
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-06-23 15:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

No problem :) you seem very knowledgable on stuff too :o as stated before, your name is better than mine though :(
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-23 16:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah too bad most daggers have horrible fstr caps... scratch that all do but at least some arent as bad as others
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-06-23 18:05:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, you're definitely not hitting the fSTR caps in the TP phase on anything worthwhile!
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-23 20:23:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Well yeah unless your doing some silly ***... but I have known people who said tping in haste gear was dumb on thf...
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [51 days between previous and next post]
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-08-13 17:01:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Two questions as a 60 thf.

I was going to keep Jaeger ring and Garrulous ring for a while as it has AGI for TA and str which mithra lacks, but i read above another acc or dex ring would be better, is that really the case as a mithra?

Also, Strike subligar has +3 kick attacks, would that give me 3% (or any % at all) at doing a kick attack as a thief? and yes yes i know its not worth it, but im tempted to buy it for fun then sell it as obviously bravo sub is better paired with my rap harness. (5% trip attack and 3% kick attacks would be fun though! and if thats the case, i currently use crow hose with +5 eva and strike sub has +3 eva so maybe use them solo?)

Tbh strike sub just looks sexy and i want an excuse
First Page 2