Noob Needs Help!!!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Noob needs Help!!!
Noob needs Help!!!
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-06-04 06:27:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Zekky said:
Ewwwww. Alla website. That place is full of old FFXI fail. ; ;

I knew that was coming. A parse is a parse.
 Ifrit.Dinarii
Server: Ifrit
user: Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-06-04 06:27:57
Link | Quote | Reply

But alla.com is full of... those ppl
 Asura.Zekky
Server: Asura
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-06-04 06:29:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Dinarii said:
But alla.com is full of... those ppl
 Ifrit.Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-06-04 06:31:29
Link | Quote | Reply

more specifically.... these kind of ppl
User submitted image

meh, took out kid with dart in head... might not sit well with everyone. but this is lol regardless.
 Sylph.Amroth
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Amroth 2009-06-04 06:31:47
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe I got the term confused my bad. I thought it ment more or less being very defense oriented.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-06-04 06:32:11
Link | Quote | Reply

And prejudice triumphs over math again?

:(
 Ifrit.Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-06-04 06:33:44
Link | Quote | Reply

math is flawed bc its 730am... pointing me towards numbers before noon always fails.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-06-04 06:36:25
Link | Quote | Reply

My bad. I should have known that explaining the difference between cumulative and volatile enmity and outlining gearswaps needed to maximize both types is trumped by a witty retort and captioned picture any day.

it's why i mostly lurk ;_;
 Asura.Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-06-04 06:54:25
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're going to throw math at us, you should throw citations that actually have data available for us to view. That's why I use Kanican's Enmity Table over anything that Alla can say. Unless they're quoting Kanican. Then yay.

And you weren't trumped for explaining the difference between cumulative and volatile enmity. You were trumped for referencing Alla.
 Sylph.Amroth
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Amroth 2009-06-04 06:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Well thank you all for the info I see I got alot on my plate to becoming a better PLD but all in good time. I'm out for the night/day most likely be reading the forums tomorrow maybe bother you all abit more with noob questions.LOL

later
 Asura.Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-06-04 07:04:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sevourn said:
It's not a question of enmity OR dd build. You use both. There is cumulative enmity and volatile enmity. +enmity gear acts as a multiplier to volatile enmity, which is generated from JAs like provoke and sentinel. It doesn't help to have on enmity gear when you are simply building tp. That's cumulative enmity you are building. Enmity gear dosen't multiply that. So, when you are tping, you switch to an accuracy/attack - eventually haste build.

By the way, I think you should do your research a little bit more. Kanican's Enmity Testing Part IV seems to prove the bold statement inaccurate. Test #13. Now I'm not trying to stomp on you here. I'm just bringing out facts, numbers and citations.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-06-04 07:06:19
Link | Quote | Reply

while conditions are discussed throughout the thread, parse is post #34

Edit: On reflection, i probably spent too much time on this thread arguing, and not enough time providing advice that the OP asked for. Sorry. I wouldn't reccomend putting merits into MP on PLD, 8/8 HP is probably your best bet. In most endgame situations, as a tank you are being refreshed enough that total mp becomes somewhat of a non-issue. Chivalry is still great though. As for gearsets just just after making 75:

TP Set:

head - Walahra Turban
rear - Assault Earring
lear - Buckler Earring
neck - Chiv. Chain or shield torque, could make the case for both
body - Haubergeon
hands - Dusk Gloves - Fourth Gauntlets if you can't afford
lring - Woodsman/Sniper Ring - rajas if you have it
rring - Woodsman/Sniper Ring
waist - Life Belt
legs - Royal Knight's Breeches
feet - Dusk Ledelsens or AF Boots, you could make a case for either, i would probably say the AF boots are superior but i use dusk O.o ...go figure
back - Amemet Mantle +1

Weaponskill Macro set:

head - Optical Hat
waist - Warwolf Belt
ear - Assault Earring
ear - Spike Earring
ring- Flame Ring
ring- Flame Ring
neck - Chivalrous Chain

Enmity Set:

Note: Pick up Iron Ram set from campaign asap, it is a wonderful enmity, Magic Def. set

head - Adaman Barbuta
neck - Harmonia's Torque
hands - Adaman Gauntlets
body - Adaman Cuirass
ring - Mermaid Ring - Sattva if you have it
ring - Hercules' Ring
waist - Trance Belt
legs - Adaman Cuisses
feet - Askar Gambieras if you can get them, Adaman Sabatons if you cannot
back - Cerberus Mantle

Cure cheat set:

Reduce HP

Head - /remove
Ear - Astral Earring
Ring - Serket Ring
Ring - Ether Ring
Back - Settlers' Cape

Restore HP:

Head - Walahra Turban
Legs - Gallant Breeches
back - Gigant Mantle
feet - Gallant Leggings
ring - Bomb Queen Ring
body - Gallant Surcoat
ear - Bloodbead Earring

This isn't gospel by any means. I've been playing for just under six months, and my knowledge of gear is far from encylopedic. I'm certain a more experienced player could find mistakes and make improvements. Still, i think it is a reasonable start, and is certainly more effective than fulltiming AF.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-06-04 07:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Zekky said:
By the way, I think you should do your research a little bit more. Kanican's Enmity Testing Part IV seems to prove the bold statement inaccurate. Test #13. Now I'm not trying to stomp on you here. I'm just bringing out facts, numbers and citations.

I've read Kanican's enmity testing. It is where i got the concepts of volatile and cumulative enmity. You are entirely correct. Enmity gear does have an effect on cumulative enmity.

I was aiming my posts at amroth, and i didn't want to create a wall of text, so i oversimplified, which was most likely a mistake. When you look at the amount of enmity cumulative enmity actions create, the amount is very small and the amounts of volatile enmity created by job abilities are very large, comparatively. Since enmity gear increases both cumulative and volatile enmity by a static percentage, it's much less beneficial to use enmity gear on cumulative enmity, and much more benificial to use accuracy/attack gear that increases damage dealt since damage dealt is worth so much more enmity gain than damage taken is worth enmity loss.

Take for example a Lv.60 PLD fighting a Lv.68 mob (lowest level of IT at that level range.) Let's say the PLD has 1000 HP. The PLD gains 1.667 CE+5.000 VE for each point of damage (6.666 TE/damage in total) but he'll only lose 1.8 CE for every point of damage the mob does to him. The PLD can hit the mob for only 30 damage and make 200 TE, while the mob can hit the PLD for 70 and the PLD will only lose 126 CE. Even if there was an even trade-off, and a PLD takes 25% more damage in exchange for doing 25% more to the mob, the PLD will still increase his hate generation because damage dealt is worth more point for point than damage taken. In practice the trade-off isn't even and you end up boosting your damage output more than you drop your damage mitigation anyways (take into consideration that boosting your hit rate by 25% doesn't just make you land 25% more normal and WS swings, you also WS that much more often.)

Also worth pointing out is how little damage it takes to create as much hate as Provoke: against a Lv.68 target, it only takes 270 damage. Note that Shield Bash only generates 900 VE, Rampart will generate a max of 300x600 and Sentinel generates 1800 on activation. A good WS is essentially an extra hate tool, and the more it's available (and the more damage you can do with it,) the better.