Noob Needs Help!!!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Noob needs Help!!!
Noob needs Help!!!
 Ifrit.Dinarii
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-06-04 05:43:23
Link | Quote | Reply

yeh, and if u balance then decide to change later down the line. the attribute tree is one of the biggest pains to re-merit. just bc of the mass of merits you need to hit the 3-4-5 tiers.
 Sylph.Amroth
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Amroth 2009-06-04 05:44:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't pay attention to that hmmmm.... maybe I'll just focus on full PLD for merits and just suffer through the rest of the jobs. which of the group 2 for PLD do you all see as the most commonly used?
 Asura.Zekky
Server: Asura
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-06-04 05:48:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Amroth said:
which of the group 2 for PLD do you all see as the most commonly used?

5/5 on Chivalry, mate. 10 minute recharge on MP? Yes, please. You're pretty much doing what RDM's do every 10 minutes with convert except you're sacrificing TP instead of HP. It's great for soloing and tanking. Then 1/5 on Fealty just because it's a useful, emergency job ability. And 4/5 on Guardian. Nothing better than casting Sentinel and not losing all the enmity from it. =)
 Ifrit.Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-06-04 05:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

errrrrm... thats where i am clueless, better to ask zekky or some of the other PLDs out there rofl. although i think the 2 MOST used ones i see are fealty, and chivalry.

EDIT: damn you zekky! XD
 Asura.Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-06-04 05:51:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Dinarii said:
EDIT: damn you zekky! XD

This is me... Swooping out of the shadows, sir... ^^
 Ifrit.Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-06-04 05:53:19
Link | Quote | Reply

HAHAHAHAHAHA! FTW! i used to watch that toon when i was a kid. <3 it!

in other news. i feel like a post-*** seeing my name on 4+ threads as last replied on front page XD. im bored outta my skull. 7am, no one on makes me a bored din.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-06-04 05:53:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Absolutely. Your paladin is awesome, and a haste/accuracy paladin spamming atonement is a beast no doubt. But amroth just hit 75. I think it is a safe bet that it will be a while before he sees atonement. I agree that meriting strength isn't optimal for a PLD only build. However,

Amroth said:
so.. try and balance the stats out not sure i follow ...
are you saying get STR so i can DD with PLD didnt really know that they
can all i have really done is tank

When he says "all i have really done is tank" i get the feeling that means he is fulltiming turtle gear, and gaining hate purely through JAs, when he would be better served to build a tp set and macro in +enmity gear for JAs. I'd simply like him to understand that pre-homam/atonment spam, separate dd and +enmity sets will serve him well, and the damage he deals will help him keep hate.

When you make a blanket statement like saying that DD Paladin doesn't exist, i think someone who just hit 75 and is a long way from a full haste set and mythic ws may come away with the wrong impression.
 Sylph.Amroth
By Sylph.Amroth 2009-06-04 05:53:49
Link | Quote | Reply

what does Fealty do, sorry for all the qustions but I dont have access to ffxiclopedia while at work and haven't had the time to look it up at home atleast not enought to memorize it all yet.
 Ifrit.Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-06-04 05:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

i honestly hadn't thought of it that way. well put sev.

Fealty: as per wiki;

* Grants a powerful resistance to enfeebling magic.
* Obtained: Paladin Level 75
* Recast Time: 0:20:00 (-0:02:30 minutes for every additional merit -- 0:10:00 with full merits)
* Duration: 0:01:00

# Learned by spending 3 Merit Points in the Paladin-specific category two.
# Maximum recast reduction through merits is 0:10:00.
# Grants one minute of enfeeble resistance.
# Generates a fair amount of enmity.
# Blocks status ailments from monster abilities (e.g. Radiant Breath will not silence and slow).
# Does not grant resistance to the elemental resistance down effects of ninjutsu spells/threnody songs.
# Does not grant resistance to songs at all.
# Does not block the petrify effect from the Peiste's Grim Glower.
# Does block Stun.
# Does block the Demon's Hecatomb Wave that causes blind.
# Blocks all status effects except for Terror and Death (it will, however, block the Doom status effect which can be dealt by the Tauri family, certain Yagudo NMs in Dynamis, and other specific mobs). This includes any enfeeble that can be removed by any -na spell (such as Poison, Paralyze and Silence), and any enfeeble that can be removed by the White Mage spell Erase. It will block Charm (Status Effect) from monsters such as Vrtra and Jailer of Justice. It will NOT block Dia, Bio, or elemental DoT spells, such as Shock or Burn.
# Greatly reduces damage taken from Mijin Gakure, Meteor and Alexander's two hour ability Divine Judgment. Assumed to work with other avatar style Astral Flow skills. Damage reduction is around ~90%.
 Asura.Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-06-04 06:02:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Sevourn said:
When you make a blanket statement like saying that DD Paladin doesn't exist, i think someone who just hit 75 and is a long way from a full haste set and mythic ws may come away with the wrong impression.

DD Paladin doesn't exist unless you've got the resources to obtain such "DD" items. Like a Justice Sword, Joyeuse, homam, swift belt, etc... Things that would make a PLD even be able to do DD damage. I'm not shooting down his idea of going out with his friends and being able to do damage but the idea of "PLD DD" is also far fetch. Since he doesn't have Atonement, even having a TP build makes no sense since the only useful WS a PLD has against gods or things he'll be tanking would be Spirits Within and that's every 300% TP with full HP. Even if he equips his PLD pre-sea/sky gear with DD stuff, his Vorpal Blade, Savage Blade and/or Swift Blade won't do the DD dmg he may be looking forward. Even with STR merits.

A build pre-end game would be along the along the lines of +enmity/HP/dmg reduction. That's why the Iron Ram gear from campaign is such a valuable asset for PLDs who want to go end-game. It serves so many beautiful functions. Hell, I use Iron Ram for my MDB build. Because in the end, a PLD being able to hold hate but only hitting the mob for 5-15 dmg is more impressive than a PLD not able to hold hate but doing 20-50 dmg.
 Sylph.Amroth
By Sylph.Amroth 2009-06-04 06:03:17
Link | Quote | Reply

yes I do full time "turtle" I play on the 360 and Macro's are a pain though I do use them and I under stand the need to have gear macro'd in. I found holding hate with just JA and spamming cures tends to deplete your options in multiple fights. yes I am along way from all the fun stuff like relics and uber gear but im getting there .....eventualy.
 Asura.Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-06-04 06:04:49
Link | Quote | Reply

What's this "turtle" gear you guys keep on mentioning? Or is that a phrase I've been missing out on?
 Ifrit.Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-06-04 06:05:37
Link | Quote | Reply

<<< assumes adaman set, the blurple tank kit of years gone.
 Asura.Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-06-04 06:09:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Dinarii said:
<<< assumes adaman set, the blurple tank kit of years gone.

Is that what people are calling it nowadays? O.o Turtles aren't purple though...

And Adaman is so nice... I was using the body until I got valor just two months ago... That's right. Adaman body for two years. @.@; I preferred the +enmity from adaman over the +HP from gallant. And +divine doesn't matter since flash creates the same amount of hate anyway. That's just my opinion though. I've seen gallant body PLDs do just as well as me.
 Ifrit.Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-06-04 06:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

remember, din haz -20 knowledge of PLD stuff. that includes phrases and nicknames XD

altho adaman for 2yrs kinda explains the whole darkwing duck tie in... hmmm...
 Sylph.Amroth
By Sylph.Amroth 2009-06-04 06:11:13
Link | Quote | Reply

lol no I'm still on the AF it works kinda low on gil check my profile thats what I have when I tank made it to 75 with few to little hate mitigating problems
 Ifrit.Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-06-04 06:12:32
Link | Quote | Reply

in b4 "ZOMG NO CERB+1" comment ;p
 Sylph.Amroth
By Sylph.Amroth 2009-06-04 06:13:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Donatello had a purple head band
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-06-04 06:13:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Joyeuse isn't hard to obtain with a few friends. That's somewhat beside the point though. Of course you will never do damage comparable to a dedicated dd. But the cumulative enmity you build from doing damage still helps. Using accuracy gear to hit more often to build tp faster to spam your weaponskill faster still helps.

It's not a question of enmity OR dd build. You use both. There is cumulative enmity and volatile enmity. +enmity gear acts as a multiplier to volatile enmity, which is generated from JAs like provoke and sentinel. It doesn't help to have on enmity gear when you are simply building tp. That's cumulative enmity you are building. Enmity gear dosen't multiply that. So, when you are tping, you switch to an accuracy/attack - eventually haste build.

When you use any volatile enmity generating job ability, you macro in your +enmity set, like iron ram, which you are right, is an incredible set of gear. But there is no one set of gear you wear for every situation. when you are dding, you use dd gear. when you use a job ability, you macro in your +enmity set.
 Midgardsormr.Darkfire
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Darkfire
By Midgardsormr.Darkfire 2009-06-04 06:14:09
Link | Quote | Reply

We always called them "Purple Paladins" since rarely do you see just one piece being worn, usually a full set :P

One thing i'd like to add as far as merit choices is despite what jobs you have now or plan on having later, you have to keep in mind the relevance of those jobs. You can have 7 jobs at 75, but only have 1 useful job. Its a stretch i know, but my point is keep merit focuses in mind on the job(s) your linkshells are going to want you to come as the most. No point in having max merits all aimed at one job if your never on it.
 Ifrit.Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-06-04 06:16:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Darkfire said:
keep merit focuses in mind on the job(s) YOU ENJOY.

no reason doing anything you don't have fun with now that the end is nigh.
 Asura.Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-06-04 06:17:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: (Late response since I was grabbing image URL) So wait, wait... PLD AF is considered... turtle gear? I'm so lost with that phrase. ; ;

Amroth said:
lol no I'm still on the AF it works kinda low on gil check my profile thats what I have when I tank made it to 75 with few to little hate mitigating problems

Check out these items. Got +STR/DEX/VIT. So you've got the modifiers for your WSs. VIT for Rampart modifier. And it's got +enmity.
User submitted image

User submitted image
HP and enmity build.

And you should use your guardian earring for a macro piece only. Nothing full-time. =d

And see if you can get some friends to help out with getting a Jelly Ring. The NM is pops pretty regular and I know hardly anyone camps him on Asura so it could be the same for you.
User submitted image
 Midgardsormr.Darkfire
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Darkfire
By Midgardsormr.Darkfire 2009-06-04 06:18:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Well i would hope you wouldnt level a job all the way to 75 if you despise it, although now that i think of it there are several people who come to mind when i put it that way...
 Ifrit.Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-06-04 06:18:44
Link | Quote | Reply

and the whole turtle thing i think is from the days where PLDs rocked earth staff and a crapload of Def and +Vit gear(adaman+koenig sky pieces) and pretty much shelled themselves up with the mob in a corner(think faust).

EDIT: Just realized i replied instead of edited my previous post

i dont enjoy blm, but i did it for a LS. as did a lot of ppl i know with brd/whm/rdm/blm/etc jobs. The whole "Do it for the LS" idealism seems to be dying out and almost a moot point at this juncture.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-06-04 06:21:34
Link | Quote | Reply

A turtle paladin is someone who stays in an enmity set fulltime, relying only on job abilities to keep hate. It isn't a complement.

The name may come from one of the original parses that made the case for dd paladin, which Poster Dracoth called his "Turtle Vs. DD parse"

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html?fjob=5;mid=120085745248954828#m1201196432156793361
 Sylph.Amroth
By Sylph.Amroth 2009-06-04 06:23:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont really know what I enjoy considering I haven't played much of the other jobs PLD will always be number 1 for me anyway and will be the main focus as far as getting everything for. The other jobs are just for fun and diversity for BCNMs and NM hunting.
 Ifrit.Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-06-04 06:24:11
Link | Quote | Reply

"Turtle tanking" was coined much longer ago than that post. idk if it really affects the point or not but /shrug

...much longer ago... that sounds wrong... whatever
 Ifrit.Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-06-04 06:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Amroth said:
I dont really know what I enjoy considering I haven't played much of the other jobs PLD will always be number 1 for me anyway and will be the main focus as far as getting everything for the other jobs are just for fun and diversity for BCNMs and NM hunting.

as long as you enjoy it, thats all that counts bud.
 Asura.Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-06-04 06:25:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Sevourn said:
A turtle paladin is someone who stays in an enmity set fulltime, relying only on job abilities to keep hate. It isn't a complement.

The name may come from one of the original parses that made the case for dd paladin, which Poster Dracoth called his "Turtle Vs. DD parse"

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html?fjob=5;mid=120085745248954828#m1201196432156793361

Ewwwww. Alla website. That place is full of old FFXI fail. ; ;
 Ifrit.Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-06-04 06:26:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Amroth said:
Donatello had a purple head band

hahahaha holy ***how'd i miss that comment. that's it, end of discussion. im going with the Donatello theory!