100,000,000g Bounty
First Page 2 3 ... 56 57 58 ... 76 77 78

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Aeyela 2012-12-03 06:34:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bartimaeus said: »
Just thoughts from the occasional lurker:

I dunno about anything else, but I kind of enjoy the idea that somehow if people who refuse to pay money to swap for [what would be] an extended period of time, is because they lack conviction and seriousness instead of it being about money and time.

It's not about glory, just to get stronger! Yet forbidding using the test server, thereby limited the number of fights you can even try, op.
Why not try to fight stronger people?!

Is this not how you can develop new, better, fancier strats? Isn't that the entire point?!

I dunno man. Completely rational thoughts etc.

Your mustache gives you an unfair advantage in any PvP situations.
By Aeyela 2012-12-03 06:35:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Miiu said: »
Aeyela said: »
Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
Are people seriously arguing against good grammar? Gtfo.

G.T.F.O. or Get the *** out. Gtfo is not acceptable grammar.

Get out. Just get out.

Whoooooooooooooooooooooosh!

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-12-03 06:38:26
Link | Quote | Reply

You whooshed just as much with a wrong correction.
By Aeyela 2012-12-03 06:38:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps. The ultimate in fancy strats. :P

I guess as an afterthought, he wouldn't want a fight that's TOO hard. That ruins the magic of offering an insane amount of gil, so when people lose it looks like hes "crazy but damn good".

I think his objection is the test server is not a legitimate representation of either player's resources. I think having to resort to drawing him to the test server kind of defeats the fun of taking him on 'legitimately', for lack of a better word.
[+]
By Aeyela 2012-12-03 06:40:11
Link | Quote | Reply

You whooshed just as much with a wrong correction.

I'm not going to get into a debate over correct grammatical use of punctuation with you or anyone else. I'm sorry you missed the quite obvious sarcasm in my 'correctional' post. :-)
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-12-03 06:41:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I know it was, but I'm fussy.

Post deleted by User.
By Aeyela 2012-12-03 06:49:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I get the idea there, but in my personal view in this case, it just comes down to what I perceive to be incredible boasting drawing the fewest number of people. It just seems like a copout.

I obviously don't know the guy, so he could legitimately believe what he says about that.. I don't believe that but I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. lol

The number alone is enough to put most people off. He must have tonnes of confidence to offer such a big reward; that in itself screams volumes either about his playing skill or bluffing talents.

When I saw his initial post about the 50m bounty I decided at that moment that he must be good at what he does. Some people perceive it as arrogance, but I perceive it as complete confidence in himself. It's no different to somebody with a straight flush in poker feeling confident their hand is going to win. Urteil believes he holds a good hand in his DRK and is willing to stake on it.

He either has an exceptional poker face or he's very good at what he does. I assume the latter and, the fact I dislike PvP aside, I'm not willing to stake £15 on it being the former. All power to people who can, have and will however.

Sooner or later, somebody will beat him. Maybe on December 21st?
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-12-03 06:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I just think it's wrong to look down on those who refuse to spend 50 bucks just to fight him. It's like looking down on the value of money itself.
[+]
By Aeyela 2012-12-03 07:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I just think it's wrong to look down on those who refuse to spend 50 bucks just to fight him. It's like looking down on the value of money itself.

The very nature of this thread requires him to come across as unsympathetic. He has his reputation to think of!
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2012-12-03 07:10:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I think fighting on test server and deliberately setting it up so neither side has a gear advantage is best, making it come down entirely to skill vs skill (as PvP should be).
[+]
 Asura.Rucks
Server: Asura
user: Seravolk
By Asura.Rucks 2012-12-03 07:27:23
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem with gearing via the Test Server, is that a majority of the key items will still be unobtainable unless you had them before copying your character over.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-12-03 07:49:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Wardeniii said: »
If anyone is ever going to beat this guy, it definitely won't be anyone in this thread.

My money is on some random, pearl-less JP to come in and demolish him Kobayashi style - filthy mustache and all.

Lol'd, but that's pretty much what's going to happen.

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
Phoenix.Urteil said: »
The test server is not a legitimate server. I will not fight there. If there was a cross server method, sure. But it is a test server, I refuse.

There are no worthy challengers.
I think very few people are as obsessed as you are with PVP. The fact the people aren't coming out in hordes to fight doesn't mean that everyone's a coward/incompetent. It means you just aren't that important.
I'm pretty sure there are many people as interested as him by PVP but as you said, he's just not important enough, if at all.

Between the 3 months off and the 20€, even if I love PVP, there are many things that I can do with either of these things, while this guy will only ever be 5 minutes of entertainment, and very bad entertainment seeing the attitude.

I am amazed at anyone who isn't on Phoenix and would waste their time. Test server as said 120 times is the solution. This guy is nothing more than a chicken, even if he has a point, this is pure cowardice in the end, and he knows it.

Either you love Ballista and you play for the sake of playing, or you are a coward making up excuses to not play. OP is clearly a coward, simple logic. Keep throwing excuses, they are funny.
[+]
 Odin.Sawtelle
Server: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2012-12-03 08:04:24
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing is 100mil isn't that much. I can't help but feel like if he really wanted this to attract the best of the best he would take it to the test server (while limiting gear to things the person actually owns) and get rid of the gil reward. This is because, in general, the best geared players stand to loose far more than they could gain. There are a lot of people that are good at this game with gear comparable to his, and if there was a reason to, would PvP. These same people are likely to have groups of people that helped them get said gear. Leaving their groups costs a lot to them.

I'll use myself as an example. At the exact moment I would get trounced by Urteil. I only have a very basic PvP build and very little experience. That said, I also could easily get any of said gear, and could with time get enough more practice with the different people on my server. Fast forward in time to a point when I wouldn't feel like I was wasting Urt's and my time.

I consider server transferring. I'm only about 50% sure I can win so I expect to make 50mil from the server transfer. I think of my gil income. Because my ADL group wouldn't transfer with me, I'm looking at loosing 90 days of ADL runs. At 2 marrows per run, with 3 people I am looking at loosing about 900million gil. However, I assume I can do dyna with my mules and make 5mil a day (more than I can actually make but it makes math easy) so I'll only loose 450mil in opportunity costs. This means the expected gil result of transferring is a loss of 400mil.

I also think that I will:
1) have to find new friends and new linkshells to continue doing the content I enjoy like legion and anything new. These new groups will not be the friends I've come to love playing with.
Note: I do know Urteil offered to let transfers into his ls.
2) If I do find said group, I will be the newest member and on the bottom of any lot lists.

Thus I quickly give up even thinking about server transferring. This is the same dilemma faced by countless people who might actually be some of the most fun challenges. Many of these people wouldn't care about the gil prize if the fight was on the test server specifically because there was no real cost to them for attempting a fight. People that are bad or more poorly geared however, would loose interest because the hope of winning 100 mil on dumb luck goes away.

Using the test server would require 1 minute of his time to validate that the person has the gear claimed. (hell, it could be done by requiring a SS be posted in this thread.

1 minute of time cost to Urteil
Vs.
A complete severance from your friends and linkshells for 3 months cost to a challenger.

We then consider that the server transfer-er doesn't even get priority. From the OP: "You will be fought after I'm done leading LS events." Now, I will give him that he is currently offering a reward, and the freshly transfered player probably doesn't have anything going on in game. However, it still boils down him not being willing to miss 1 linkshell event while forcing the challenger to miss 3 months of events.

If as Urteil said:
[It] was not made for people who hardly play the game and want to make a "mule" to fight the character that I have passionately raised up, lovingly attended to and worked on for a long time.

The challenge was made for people who share the same passion and to illuminate the deep system for conflict and to dispel the idea that people can write off their responsibility to back up their egos.

The challenge was made for people who passionately pushed their characters to the limit, through exploring all the game had to offer, to bring a combination of skill + gear. Who strove to gain the most powerful relics the world over and items of Final Fantasy myth.
He should use the medium accessible by those people.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2012-12-03 08:06:46
Link | Quote | Reply

so to sum up the thread:

-gil aside this is a battle for reputation and pride
-not wanting to pvp on the test server is fair, if i were to throw out such a challenge id want it in the locked in rules and bugless server i earned all my ***on
-gear advantage? if you need gear to pvp him then go buy/earn/augment it, the challenge is for those confident and willing enough to try for the money and reputation
-also in fairness, op gets snappier as the thread goes on, but is also attacked more as the thread goes on, which can only be irritating when the thread was made as a completely open challenge and anyone on his own server can take it, if you dont want to transfer then dont, nothing wrong with the pride in going undefeated, tho assuming anyone who doesnt take the challenge is basicly HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE is silly and an oxymoron

all that said, id sooner quit the game than spend $50-100 to transfer to a new server to continue playing the same as i have been, good luck to anyone willing to sacrifice the time and money in a fight bias to the op due to experience
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nibu
Server: Carbuncle
user: nibu
By Carbuncle.Nibu 2012-12-03 08:19:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Did I miss the part where someone explains how Urteil's helping Zirk build his character (merits, I think also equipment?) is different than playing on the test server where "people haven't earned" their level/equipment? Or is it just a degree of magnitude? Where is the line drawn?

I am legitimately asking this, and not being sarcastic. I may have overlooked someone else's asking this. I suppose it's also a slippery slope where you can argue that no one has ever earned their own equipment by themselves, but that seems a bit extreme (and in which case, playing on the test server would be justified).

Ragnarok.Zeromega said: »
-also in fairness, op gets snappier as the thread goes on, but is also attacked more as the thread goes on

This is Zirk's secret meta-game weapon. Psychological warfare.
[+]
 Sylph.Mesheef
Server: Sylph
user: Mesheef
By Sylph.Mesheef 2012-12-03 08:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Wardeniii said: »
If anyone is ever going to beat this guy, it definitely won't be anyone in this thread.

My money is on some random, pearl-less JP to come in and demolish him Kobayashi style - filthy mustache and all.

Wasn't Kobayashi beaten by some guy named Chester?

Edit: Was Joey Chestnut, that was the guy.
 Sylph.Wardeniii
user: Wardeniii
By Sylph.Wardeniii 2012-12-03 08:52:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sawtelle said: »
The thing is 100mil isn't that much. I can't help but feel like if he really wanted this to attract the best of the best he would take it to the test server (while limiting gear to things the person actually owns) and get rid of the gil reward.

I stopped reading there.

Even in the game's prime, the number of people willing to devote the time and effort to PvP that it would appear the OP has, is slim to none -- let alone being willing to devote that time purely for bragging rights. Even now with the marginal reward he is offering, I'm not terribly shocked that he hasn't had many legitimate challengers (like you said). That, on top of the fact that the overwhelming majority of endgamers I know don't give a ***about PvP, and anyone who did moved to a different online game that actually focuses on the PvP system.
 Sylph.Wardeniii
user: Wardeniii
By Sylph.Wardeniii 2012-12-03 08:53:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Mesheef said: »

Wasn't Kobayashi beaten by some guy named Chester?

Edit: Was Joey Chestnut, that was the guy.

I don't know. Outside of all the hype around Kobayashi I can't say I've kept very up-to-date in the competitive hotdog eating world.
[+]
 Phoenix.Shiomi
user: Shiomi
By Phoenix.Shiomi 2012-12-03 09:10:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Besides the fact that the TEST SERVER has some aspects that are not on the real server (the fact that you can get any piece of gear you want from storage slips, relic/mythic/emperyan/TOTM weapons, job abilities that are still being tested, and other aspects of the game that are different than that on the normal servers), he has been removed from the test server and has been denied re-entry since he has re-applied.

Most people who say just fight on the test server talk a lot of game but I can honestly say I haven't seen one intelligent thing about PVP coming from their mouth. You say, "Oh I don't have the gear, but give me some time and I'll have it." You don't even know what gear that is, and if it is easily obtainable, then why the *** don't you have it? Please just shut the *** up and sit the *** down. You have no place in this conversation, especially if you keep bringing up the test server. You want to fight on the test server? Make your own thread about it and get interest in it there. Don't bring in this thread. Plug your ***else where.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-12-03 09:12:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Shiomi said: »
he has been removed from the test server and has been denied re-entry since he has re-applied.
Wait, were you trying to defend him? Welp.
 Phoenix.Shiomi
user: Shiomi
By Phoenix.Shiomi 2012-12-03 09:17:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
he has been removed from the test server and has been denied re-entry since he has re-applied.
Wait, were you trying to defend him? Welp.

Wait, were you trying to be cute? Welp.
[+]
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
Server: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2012-12-03 09:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Besides the fact that the TEST SERVER has some aspects that are not on the real server (the fact that you can get any piece of gear you want from storage slips, relic/mythic/emperyan/TOTM weapons, job abilities that are still being tested, and other aspects of the game that are different than that on the normal servers), he has been removed from the test server and has been denied re-entry since he has re-applied.

Most people who say just fight on the test server talk a lot of game but I can honestly say I haven't seen one intelligent thing about PVP coming from their mouth. You say, "Oh I don't have the gear, but give me some time and I'll have it." You don't even know what gear that is, and if it is easily obtainable, then why the *** don't you have it? Please just shut the *** up and sit the *** down. You have no place in this conversation, especially if you keep bringing up the test server. You want to fight on the test server? Make your own thread about it and get interest in it there. Don't bring in this thread. Plug your ***else where.

[+]
 Bahamut.Greyfawkz
Server: Bahamut
user: gymj1m
By Bahamut.Greyfawkz 2012-12-03 12:20:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, so if he were to say "yes" to the test server to make it "equal", would you pony up the 100m if you lost? I mean fair is fair right?

It's his challenge not yours.
So much Q_Q in this thread.
[+]
By Thorbean 2012-12-03 13:25:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Guys, if you don't like the terms of the fight, then don't fight. He made the challenge and layed down the rules. If you want to make the rules then you need to make your own thread and offer your own bounty.

Boxer A: "I'll fight anyone, and whoever beats me will win $1,000,000. All you have to do is show up in my home town."
"Boxer B": "I'll take the reward off your hands, however I'm not interested enough to leave my friends for a while. Let's stage the fight on (Insert online boxing game here) instead."

Boxer A: "... No."
Boxer B: "You're just scared."
[+]
 Asura.Fondue
Server: Asura
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2012-12-03 13:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I haven't seen one intelligent thing about PVP

Me neither :(
 Siren.Barber
Server: Siren
user: Barber
By Siren.Barber 2012-12-03 14:13:44
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread is the biggest grab for attention I've seen in quite some time. Maybe the Quiztasa crafting thread on BG or the "HQ secret cracked" thread on alla were the only ones with more "Look at me." At first I thought the challenge was a novel idea, but now it's obvious even to the most casual observer that your motivations are not rooted in competition but in ego.

Look man, you simply can't claim "Everyone is scared or incompetent" while hiding behind a mandatory server transfer. Gear is easily checked on this very site and would take thirty seconds. Even without the fifty bucks people would lose, most good players earn more than 100M in three months with their linkshell (something they would miss out on) so gil isn't even an issue. If you are SERIOUS about open competition then open the test server as an option, take 30 seconds to confirm their gear is legit, and take away the gil reward. I guarantee you will have more challengers. If that is what you want. but my bet is you just want another 50 pages in this thread as a testimony to your greatness.

If you want to be known as the best FFXI player then go back in time to 2006 and challenge channelfournewsteam or Lovehame. If you want to keep clamoring for attention then just recognize that 99.9% of people dont care about ballista (I don't even own a ballista license) and of the .1% that do only .01% would be willing to leave their servers for three months. So congrats! You are king of .001% of FFXI!
[+]
 Phoenix.Hapa
By Phoenix.Hapa 2012-12-03 14:15:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ejiin said: »

Hahahahahahaha.

Go undefeated on RNG, MNK, BRD, NIN, WHM, THF, DRG, DNC, SMN or BST and I'll take it back XD

Seriously, explain to me, if you can, how DRK isn't perfectly suited for 99cap 1vs1 over every other job. I admit some jobs will come close, but DRK just has more tools and gear at its disposal.

I pvp on my 99COR not my 99 DRK and currently I am undefeated on Asura, perhaps its just because of my job? Most of the jobs you have listed above have great potential, however they do require you arn't a moron who just presses attack and runs forward and covers your eyes while thinking in your mind "I think I can... I think I can..."

Perhaps. The ultimate in fancy strats. :P

I guess as an afterthought, he wouldn't want a fight that's TOO hard. That ruins the magic of offering an insane* amount of gil, so when people lose it looks like hes "crazy but damn good".

*replace insane with whatever word you choose, it's a lot of gil to me. Maybe not to others.

Asura.Fondue said: »
Quote:
I haven't seen one intelligent thing about PVP

Me neither :(

Take the above picture and apply it here again if you will.

Just because you suck at something, doesn't mean you should go around and call it stupid.
First Page 2 3 ... 56 57 58 ... 76 77 78