Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2012-09-14 03:40:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Spathaian said: »
Ramuh.Austar said: »
PUP doesn't exactly have a quick way to change pets. Especially when the entire time, you're not doing damage unless you're auto attacking something.
This statement could not be more true. Even a skilled PUP switching puppets on the fly requires, and I'm probably being very generous on this one, a minimum of ~30sec to switch puppets and equip useful attachments. That's not accounting for possible server lag during the process. During which you can't exactly WS very efficiently, which will only hurt your damage more. :/
Which makes me which they gave us like 3 different activate commands to save at least 3 different sets of automatons :(

Not like old Nyzul was hard back then (altough I remember people being kinda selective on players to invite even for that) but I Remember that despite people shitting on PUP (its melee gear selection was particularly meh at the time) it worked very fine there using BLM doll.
Slimes/Custards were being disintegrated by the mixture of your damage plus the Automaton's T4s. Stringing Pummel was insane on most mobs and overall, while certainly not the best, it was a much better option than most people thought.

In New Nyzul though... it's a different story. Altough I agree if a group can reliably reach 100 with 5 people, PUP as 6th would be better than someone just being semiafk doing nothing, whatever his job.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [96 days between previous and next post]
 Siren.Balias
Server: Siren
user: Balias
By Siren.Balias 2012-12-18 15:30:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
Leviathan.Brotherhood said: »
OK: Aside from Sch @ 99 What other jobs would you have Before pup?
WAR, MNK, DRK, Kraken-RNG, SAM, DRG, BLU, DNC, Last Stand-COR, my resident relic DD WHM, and potentially even THF.

No NIN's? Mine's better geared than my Blu, haven't gotten Blade: Hi yet... Guess it'll be a good while before I get to do it.
 Siren.Balias
Server: Siren
user: Balias
By Siren.Balias 2012-12-18 15:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Killza said: »
Odin.Eikechi said: »
Asura.Jadecc said: »
the big thing about nyzul isle is alot of running and embrava, jobs like SAM WAR and DRK can get 100+ tp running and 1 shot or almost 1 shot mobs with a WS, Pup is mostly white damage. Monk is good because it can formless strikes and its high hp/counter etc lets it survive easily.

Bolded: Not sure if relevant. Also don't discount the dmg of pummel or smite on pup. Those are two pretty nice WS. Again, not saying pup is like god in NNI, but just sayin, it's not THAT bad imho. /shrug. Carry on.

lol okay yeah. No but seriously @ OP tell your friends just to level MNK and gear it up, should only take 3 days tops to be near top gear -NNI ofc. Will be way easier than convincing any group that "My pup is good guys seriously", when it's hard enough to let a MNK join just because WAR / SAM / DRK ***on it so much.

If I could a black belt in 3 days I'd be there already, your logic is fail. But nice try anyway...
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-12-18 15:48:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Balias said: »
No NIN's? Mine's better geared than my Blu, haven't gotten Blade: Hi yet... Guess it'll be a good while before I get to do it.

Not sure why you necro'd this to say nothing, but no I would not take a NIN over any of those jobs Austar listed, I wouldn't even take a NIN over a PUP.

Siren.Balias said: »
If I could a black belt in 3 days I'd be there already, your logic is fail. But nice try anyway...

You can get a BB in 1 day, no problem.
[+]
 Fenrir.Thandar
Server: Fenrir
user: Thandar
By Fenrir.Thandar 2012-12-18 15:58:19
Link | Quote | Reply

If you like PUP so much, and want to get it the best gear possible, level another job that is useful. Not every SCH that does NNI likes playing SCH. Do what you need to do to get what you want to do done, or don't get it. This shouldn't even be a question. -.-

On the NIN note: I played with a NIN in NNI. We lost. Made it to like floor 80 or something. Slow kills are slow.
 Sylph.Knala
Server: Sylph
user: nala
By Sylph.Knala 2012-12-18 18:09:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
Odin.Eikechi said: »
ok Balloon, I guess that's a fair point, on an extremely situational occurrence. I'll concede that, but I'm not sure formless strikes is a selling point to take any DD.
Have your DRK(s) equip Twilight scythe, enjoy said PDT Custard dying in a few seconds even without Souleater up.

MNK :/

As for weapon changing the job that much, Maths would be required.
Most jobs can chew Nyzul not because of their weapons, but because of how they can be played and their normal mechanics.

I have a hard time believing Kenkonken making PUP viable whereas any other weapon can't.

Haven't fully read the thread yet but kenkonken is one hell of a mythic.

First off pummel (Please correct me if i'm badly mistaken however) is competitive with smite: 6 hit vs 4 hit potential 5.75 vs 5.25 FTP, smite wins when it comes to modifiers at 60% str vs 32/32 str/vit however at 100% pummel's got 35% crit vs smite's 10%

On top of that pummel gets the 30% boost for 99 and the automaton can serve as a TP battery using tactical switch to help maintain AM3 (not entirely too sure how practical this actually would be however)

Only major things that'd still be an issue obviously are JA Delays.

Anyways not trying to advocate Pup by any means but kenkonken is a pretty big deal IMO for pup.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [144 days between previous and next post]
 Carbuncle.Xmar
Server: Carbuncle
user: XmarXaim
By Carbuncle.Xmar 2013-05-11 18:19:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bump, but recently I did a 5 Pup, 1 Cor NNI run for past 3 weeks, targeting floor 80 each time, and did it with no problems. Got my Thaumas Coat within 2 separate runs.

Setup was
4 Pup using Ranged Frame with capped or near capped skill
1 Pup (me) using Valor as tank for floor 80 boss and any additional bosses or generally hard mobs, such as the highly evasive Qiqirn
and 1 Cor alt using Companion's Roll and Beast Roll.

Companion's roll is what makes the run possible, gives pet 12-25TP per tic give or take and lets them spam weaponskills, as well as a massive Regen to keep them alive.

I had Rigor Baghnakhs, 2 or 3 had Verethragna, one had the new Alternator, and most of us had +1/+2 empy gear, so it is possible without awesome gear or needing to stoop to SCH or MNK or something.

Play what you love! And as long as you have a competent group and a desire to get it, you can get Thaumas or any other gear you're wanting.

Don't let the haters bring you down fellow pups! Get out there and Good Luck!
[+]
By Jadey 2013-05-12 21:56:06
Link | Quote | Reply

How much time did you have after clearing floor 80? Do you think that group could hit floor 100 if the whole group had Alternators/Rigors?
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2013-05-13 02:29:25
Link | Quote | Reply

that sounds amazing
By kenshynofshiva 2013-05-13 08:15:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Jadey said: »
How much time did you have after clearing floor 80? Do you think that group could hit floor 100 if the whole group had Alternators/Rigors?

After playing with the rigors and Alternator I can say blows away any dd before the update for the reals so shouldn't be an issue in the least. Alternator is beyond that good for the puppet...
 Carbuncle.Xmar
By Carbuncle.Xmar 2013-05-14 00:36:30
Link | Quote | Reply

It depends on how well the floors were of course, but normally we were at 1-10 mins remaining 10 being a spectacular run. So it is possible for a good, decked out group, to get to 100.

We were patient and settled for 80s cause we knew we could win most of them.

I haven't had time to do Fracture to get plasm for alternator, nor have I found a shout to do a run when i'm on so I haven't been able to test it yet, however, Rigor is amazing, if anyone is skeptical to get it, don't be, it is very worth it, things I wasn't able to kill solo, are a breeze now!
 Leviathan.Dwb
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Dwb 2013-05-14 00:57:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Iv done NNI as a pup, succesful 100 run... Its like having a 7 man party if you know what you are doing. Most of the people that say "Oh no, pup sux bla bla" are just on the bandwagon that everyone hates pups. They get the job done...
[+]
By kenshynofshiva 2013-05-14 09:35:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Xmar said: »

It depends on how well the floors were of course, but normally we were at 1-10 mins remaining 10 being a spectacular run. So it is possible for a good, decked out group, to get to 100.

I haven't had time to do Fracture to get plasm for alternator, nor have I found a shout to do a run when i'm on so I haven't been able to test it yet, however, Rigor is amazing, if anyone is skeptical to get it, don't be, it is very worth it, things I wasn't able to kill solo, are a breeze now!

The alternator takes a puppet to an entire different level never before seen its pretty insane the difference it makes nothing comes close. My rng puppet in new area avgs easy 3k+ ws and 4k are common add in 1.5k barrages it's pure love. I can't imagine against ep mobs and DC ones it be like a walk in the park. Rigors + Alternator = BEAST MODE better than my rag weilding drk and amano/masa sam easily.
 Carbuncle.Xmar
By Carbuncle.Xmar 2013-05-14 18:21:59
Link | Quote | Reply

kenshynofshiva said: »
The alternator takes a puppet to an entire different level never before seen its pretty insane the difference it makes nothing comes close. My rng puppet in new area avgs easy 3k+ ws and 4k are common add in 1.5k barrages it's pure love. I can't imagine against ep mobs and DC ones it be like a walk in the park. Rigors + Alternator = BEAST MODE better than my rag weilding drk and amano/masa sam easily.

Well that makes me even more excited to get it. As for Delve, I die quite often as I pull hate off ochain/aegis PLDs, rag/delve DRKs, ukon/delve WARs, spamming reso and upheaval/ukko's, frequently using Pummel or Shijin. PUP is not to be underestimated, i still cant survive hate to save my life though lol.
By kenshynofshiva 2013-05-15 10:18:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I just used the rng frame with valor head and let it solo a t/vt mandy outside of aduolin and it wasn't even a contest. Ws hit 4k and the auto only took like 200 damage the entire fight sick. I have to see if I have room for eva attachment or stick with mana jammer I can't use 2 cause of heat sink ><;;....
 Cerberus.Zyph
Server: Cerberus
user: Maerina
By Cerberus.Zyph 2013-05-15 14:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

My biggest fear is that by the time I've found time enough to get Rigor/Alternator that the combo will be nerfed.
By kenshynofshiva 2013-05-15 15:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Zyph said: »

My biggest fear is that by the time I've found time enough to get Rigor/Alternator that the combo will be nerfed.

Then mnk it up rigors are sexy as hell....
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-05-15 15:09:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Gil wat
By sorge74 2013-05-16 10:17:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Zyph said: »

Then mnk it up rigors are sexy as hell....

I hadn't had a chance to really use rigors on my monk since I got them but I dinged lvl99 on pup last night. Holy god worm HP just disappears after an attack round. I have no idea how I'm going to skill up when I don't take any damage and the mob dies. 4.7k shijin spiral.
By Latifah 2013-05-16 10:57:07
Link | Quote | Reply

i seen pups doing so well with the new animator/h2h doing very nice dmg on delves and bosses now
By Jadey 2013-05-16 20:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Went on a trial run with some LS buddies, 1 of which had just recently resubbed and 2 of whom had never done NNI (1 who'd never done Nyzul period and had to be run to the staging point) - went 1/1. PUP (Rigor/Alternator) MNK (Rigor) BLU (Almace) DRK (Magian 99) BRD SCH. ~1 minute to spare and an average # of jumps to get to 100 + two Cardamom Cluster floors.

Ranged puppet is nearly untouchable and is great to stick on NMs during kill all floors. Whoever said that PUP is like bringing a 7th to Nyzul is absolutely correct.

Going in regular groups is pretty easy but I'd love to try that gimmick 5PUP/1COR strat sometime as well.