A Scholar's Education (Guide)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » A Scholar's Education (Guide)
A Scholar's Education (Guide)
First Page 2 3 ... 82 83 84 ... 99 100 101
By tyalangan 2020-02-04 11:16:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Ffxiah achievement points and lockstyle!

An arguably equal or greater use than our suggestions
[+]
By Felgarr 2020-02-08 12:44:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't play with other SCHs often enough, but I wanted to ask this question about Klimaform +15 on Empyrean Feet +1.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Arbatel_Loafers_%2B1

Do folks actively cast Klimaform + Weather-boosting StormII spell and then wear these feet in their midcast?

...or do folks, just stack a Storm II spell with as much MAB as they can in their feet when trying to Nuke/Burst things?

Thanks!
 Asura.Elizabet
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Elizabet
By Asura.Elizabet 2020-02-08 12:52:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Felgarr said: »
actively cast Klimaform + Weather-boosting StormII spell and then wear these feet in their midcast?

Yes for Tier V and IV nukes and burst. You would be hard pressed to find a piece of gear with as much impact in a single slot than what those do.

Side note, when bursting helixes, usually Amalric +1 feet, or some stellar Merlinic will be better. In short, the higher the DMG potential on your nuke spell, the better the empy boots are (in comparison to a MAB boots option).
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2020-02-08 12:55:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Felgarr said: »
I don't play with other SCHs often enough, but I wanted to ask this question about Klimaform +15 on arbatel loafers +1.

Do folks actively cast Klimaform + Weather-boosting StormII spell and then wear these feet in their midcast?

...or do folks, just stack a Storm II spell with as much MAB as they can in their feet when trying to Nuke/Burst things?

Thanks!
:reads through sel's gearswap:
If I have klimaform active, I'm not in resistant casting mode, and there's some form of weather that aligns with my spell, yes.
By SimonSes 2020-02-08 12:59:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Chimerawizard said: »
As for other uses for either. I haven't come up with any good ones.

Isnt Tupsi best helix stuff outside of daybreak/max dual wield?
By Chimerawizard 2020-02-08 13:03:03
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
I think raetic staff +1 wins that. ok, looks like Tups would win if it has t2 aftermath.
 Asura.Nuance
user: Crion
By Asura.Nuance 2020-02-08 13:04:53
Link | Quote | Reply

R15 with am2 maybe? <_<;
 Asura.Elizabet
By Asura.Elizabet 2020-02-08 13:05:26
Link | Quote | Reply

IIRC it's beaten by Raetic Staff +1 for helixes. Don't have either to test.

But not any problems capping Helix dmg to 10k with good ole Akademos, so the drive to get either's been pretty dismal.
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-02-08 13:09:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Am2 is no contest since it has 99mab and 279 mdmg then, while reatic has 80mab and 267 mdmg, which generally makes it the best nuking staff then too. Am2 is not that hard to do to. You get 3000tp then drop to 2990 and ws. Am2 is also 4.5 min not 3 like am3.
[+]
By Felgarr 2020-02-17 20:45:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Is Sublimation+ gear cumulative? (or does only the highest Sublimation+ armor piece count?)

Can I wear it during activation or must I wear all of my sublimation+ gear until "Sublimation: Complete" status takes effect, which is I believe 50% of my max HP stored as MP?)

Is every combination of Sublimation+ gear always a 1:1 exchange? 1 HP drained for 1 MP? ...there's no way to get ahead, right? like 2 HP drained for 3MP?

I just don't see a benefit for super-fast paths to Sublimation: Complete with how much Refresh+ gear we get so easily, these days. Thoughts?
 Asura.Elizabet
By Asura.Elizabet 2020-02-18 00:57:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It's re-adjusted each tick, you have to wear it while idling under sublim. The +3 pieces are good MEVA / hp pieces anyways. You need to keep a good amount of HP to benefit from sublimation. Sublimation+ just makes it complete faster but the amount stored is dependant on your HP. The kicker is making your idle set under sublimation proper, as well as arrange your fast cast set to retain high HP.

My sublimation is giving me better return than my /rdm refresh. But a refresh3 from a real RDM is better.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-02-18 01:40:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Idling in larger HP to make the Sublimation charge stored restore more MP was quite relevant before the patch.
Now that it's doubled I'm not sure that's particularly relevant.
Maybe I'm biased because I'm a galka but I think a full Subli charge with BiS +Subli gear and moderately nice HP+ gear restores more MP than I can actually hold.

The thing that Refresh3 (Refresh2 too?) overwrites our Sublimation annoys me btw.
Of course Ref3 is better in terms of efficiency, but sometimes you like that Sublimation ticking (to keep you awake) or because you want a charge able to restore big chunks of MP instantly instead of X MP every tick.
It's stupid you can't "choose".
If Refresh did NOT overwrite Sublimation, you would be able to pick wether you want to keep Subli or manually cancel it to accept Refresh3.
But instead nooooo.
Sigh.

Not like MP is ever an issue in 99% of content these days anyway, but just saying.

Edit:
Well I'm mostly on support/healing with occasional impact here and there, if I were to go crazy SCing and MBing like in the old days of early Escha, then MP would still be precious I suppose.
By SimonSes 2020-02-18 04:41:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont thino galka or taru means anything for hp and mp anymore.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-02-18 05:47:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Well the difference is much smaller, but it's there. Not sure how big it is now though. Probably something like 150ish MP?
 Asura.Epigram
user: jlisic
By Asura.Epigram 2020-02-18 09:59:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Naked Galka SCH/RDM 1730 HP / 1047 MP, Master + Max Merits.
 Asura.Elizabet
By Asura.Elizabet 2020-02-18 11:30:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Sublimation ticking (to keep you awake)

Poison potion is better for that purpose. I find myself wearing the relevent +3 JSE my sublimation ticking vs ready/used/off time is about 50-50 split. The main issue I have with it is that you can't re-apply the building part right after the consuming part. Can't rely on it being there only half the time at best, less then that if I forget to consume it.

Tbh, I would rather have Sublimation ticking take 30sec longer but being able to instantly restart it ticking after I consume it, but that's not the world we live in.

If you mostlty play SCH in any context where there is an alliance there is probably a RDM around and it could very well be in your PT, so trade some aurorastorm II for some refresh 3 and I'm pretty sure your Seraph blade happy RDM will like that arrangement.

Still, to me it's worth making proper sets to support it and bending backwards to have high HP in fastcast precast set. It's absolutely great when I am soloing stuff on SCH. If you don't do any low man stuff on SCH then, YMMV.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-02-18 12:45:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't advising against subli btw, I'm a longtime subli fan and have all the best subli+ pieces ❤️
For the hp+ I just use the best pieces among what I already own, didn't get pieces specifically for that.

I just meant to say that while raising the total amount of restored mp was very useful pre patch, it's hardly game changing for me post patch.
I mean going from 1200 to 1350 when I have only like 1100ish mp? Big deal lol.
Charging faster with subli+ is another story entirely though ?
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2020-02-18 13:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't advising against subli btw, I'm a longtime subli fan and have all the best subli+ pieces ❤️
For the hp+ I just use the best pieces among what I already own, didn't get pieces specifically for that.

I just meant to say that while raising the total amount of restored mp was very useful pre patch, it's hardly game changing for me post patch.
I mean going from 1200 to 1350 when I have only like 1100ish mp? Big deal lol.
Charging faster with subli+ is another story entirely though ?

The one bad part about it is that While Refresh 1/2 have no effect, Refresh 3 overwrites Active and Complete. So even if you use it in a city and just have the MP pool waiting, a RDM can wipe that stored MP away in 2 secs.
By Heghmoh 2020-02-28 10:49:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Can someone who is better at math than me help me compare these two set options for non MB and MB nuking? Just fiddling around with some alternatives based based on recent merlinic augments.

Just listing the 3 pieces I'm changing within the set, everything else is the same, and both sets are +40% MB capped

Set 1 (standard set)
Akademos
Niobid Strap
Amalric Slops +1
Total key stats: INT+52, Magic Damage+217, Magic Attack Bonus+138, Magic Acc.+50, M.Acc.Skill+228

Set 2 (alternate set)
Daybreak
Ammurapi Shield
Merlinic Pants
Total key stats: Int+56, Magic Damage+254, Magic Attack Bonus+112, Magic Acc.+117, M.Acc.Skill+242

Variance set 2 - set 1: Int+4, Magic Damage+37, Magic Attack Bonus-26, Magic Acc.+67, M.Acc.Skill+14

So in summary, is a gain in every stat worth losing 26 MAB?

edit: forgot the 'same elemental magic as weather/day +2%" factor of akademos. not sure how that works in.
 Bahamut.Granis
Server: Bahamut
user: Granis25
By Bahamut.Granis 2020-03-06 08:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

How hard would you guys say is it to gear SCH at fresh 99 to a decent level? Most sets people are using that have been shown here seem to be stuff that's not exactly easy to get outside of lots of endgame investment. I mean i'm doing what i can to gear it when i'm on other jobs, as Akademos is my next Domain buy for a reason, but i don't know how much of Reforged Artifact/Relic/Empy is neccecary, and how badly you need to do omen/dyna d to +3 them. i just wanted a mage job to play that could actually do some stuff alone/lowman unlike WHM. But then again i'm also not sure just how hard you have to gear on SCH to get brought to groups instead of people forcing you to switch to WHM if you have it, let alone how much gear you'd need to do solo/lowman content comparable to a stadnard REMA-carrying DD job.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2020-03-06 09:12:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Granis said: »
How hard would you guys say is it to gear SCH at fresh 99 to a decent level? Most sets people are using that have been shown here seem to be stuff that's not exactly easy to get outside of lots of endgame investment. I mean i'm doing what i can to gear it when i'm on other jobs, as Akademos is my next Domain buy for a reason, but i don't know how much of Reforged Artifact/Relic/Empy is neccecary, and how badly you need to do omen/dyna d to +3 them. i just wanted a mage job to play that could actually do some stuff alone/lowman unlike WHM. But then again i'm also not sure just how hard you have to gear on SCH to get brought to groups instead of people forcing you to switch to WHM if you have it, let alone how much gear you'd need to do solo/lowman content comparable to a stadnard REMA-carrying DD job.

I'm interested in the answers to everything I can't answer, but what I can respond to is: WHM and SCH will have a LOT of overlap. WHM will be SCH gear, plus JSE and Inyanga from Ambuscade. So it should be a pretty easy swap to go from one to the other. It'll be a hard sell to get people to take you on SCH if it's a pug, but I'm sure if you prove yourself friends will go for it.
 Bismarck.Batton
user: BattonBiz
By Bismarck.Batton 2020-03-06 11:51:47
Link | Quote | Reply

SCH Gear Starter Kit - this is what i focused on this when i was building i119 gear. You should be able to duo/trio this stuff, some solo. I really sunk my teeth in after building it this far and seeing the possibilities. I'm usually stuck in no-buff situations and I like the results of putting the gil / effort of pimping my SCH gear out.

As far as coming to endgame events, if there are a bunch of melee feeding the NM tp, it's gonna suck. Its great for low man or as a backup Healer for (Accession) Cursna-ga, Cure4-ga across parties, etc

Ambuscade (trio/full party)
  • Nukes: Jhakri set

• Misc: Mallquis set, less priority but body has -DT

Escha Zitah (solo++)
  • Cures: Vanya set

Alluvion Skirmish (duo/trio)
  • Regen/Enhancing: Telchine set

• Myrkr: Helios set (bonus 'fun' gear, can build an occult acumen set)

Ragnarok.Granis
Server: Ragnarok
user: Granis25
By Ragnarok.Granis 2020-03-07 03:57:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Batton said: »
SCH Gear Starter Kit - this is what i focused on this when i was building i119 gear. You should be able to duo/trio this stuff, some solo. I really sunk my teeth in after building it this far and seeing the possibilities. I'm usually stuck in no-buff situations and I like the results of putting the gil / effort of pimping my SCH gear out.

As far as coming to endgame events, if there are a bunch of melee feeding the NM tp, it's gonna suck. Its great for low man or as a backup Healer for (Accession) Cursna-ga, Cure4-ga across parties, etc

Ambuscade (trio/full party)
  • Nukes: Jhakri set

• Misc: Mallquis set, less priority but body has -DT

Escha Zitah (solo++)
  • Cures: Vanya set

Alluvion Skirmish (duo/trio)
  • Regen/Enhancing: Telchine set

• Myrkr: Helios set (bonus 'fun' gear, can build an occult acumen set)

thanks! Is there any JSE equipment SCH should priritize like Reforged AF/Relic/Empy? I know for WHM there definitely are JSE armors you want to have (the empy body and legs for single target cures, relic legs for barspells, relic body for Regen, etc.) is there any critical to get JSE for SCH as well?
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2020-03-07 07:15:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Empy hands
 Bismarck.Batton
By Bismarck.Batton 2020-03-09 09:59:03
Link | Quote | Reply

^ Empy Hands, Head are great.

Gearsets slightly outdated, but the recommended AF/Relic/Empy pieces listed under "Necessary Reforged" are accurate, kinda wish it had a 'ranking' for each piece, similar to the SAM guide
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/A_Scholar%27s_Continuing_Education
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2020-03-09 10:34:16
Link | Quote | Reply

af+3 feet break the fastcap limits as well, work great when double bursting of your own skillchain
 Bismarck.Batton
By Bismarck.Batton 2020-03-09 11:26:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Been meaning to confirm this, do you get the full Occult Acumen TP return of 666MP used when using Parsimony + Impact?
 Asura.Matoja
user: Matojak
By Asura.Matoja 2020-03-29 08:49:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Did anyone ever test Xoanon on SCH? I'd be interested in its output in different scenarios compared to already existing options (Raetic, Daybreak, Grio, Akademos etc.)and whether its worth keeping it locked or not.
By green212 2020-03-29 11:16:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Matoja said: »
Did anyone ever test Xoanon on SCH? I'd be interested in its output in different scenarios compared to already existing options (Raetic, Daybreak, Grio, Akademos etc.)and whether its worth keeping it locked or not.

I did test it against other options and couldn't find a good reason to use it. daybreak/maxentius sub culminus was doing most damage for helix. i never tried raetic staff because i don't have one, and akademos seemed to always win for high tier nukes
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2020-03-29 11:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

green212 said: »
Asura.Matoja said: »

I did test it against other options and couldn't find a good reason to use it. daybreak/maxentius sub culminus was doing most damage for helix. i never tried raetic staff because i don't have one, and akademos seemed to always win for high tier nukes
you did some helix's with 3000tp and daybreak still outperformed?
First Page 2 3 ... 82 83 84 ... 99 100 101