Amano Or Masa?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Amano or masa?
Amano or masa?
VIP
By Jassik 2012-09-04 07:30:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Decimus said: »
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/31055/amano-or-masa#1892041

99 Masa over 99 Amano - Reason? Most likely damage, but it could also be damage.

Seems like a reasonable answer for a DD job
By Quiznor 2012-09-04 07:35:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Daffel said: »
Why has this came up again... ._.

Because like the aegis vs ochain thread (which i stuggle to NOT bump every *** day) its always good for lolz
By ScaevolaBahamut 2012-09-04 16:40:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Like many retread topics on various job boards (IGA OR KOGA PANTS GUISE????), it keeps coming up because there's nothing else worth discussing.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-09-04 16:46:16
Link | Quote | Reply

rag vs inc mythic gs

???
By Quiznor 2012-09-04 17:25:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Mythic obv!

But will be RNF exclusive anyways! Not to mention they wont be on bandwagnarok

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Zachfurlow 2012-09-12 02:57:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Amphion
Server: Bismarck
user: Amphion
By Bismarck.Amphion 2012-09-22 18:10:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Totally guessing here, but I am assuming Amano would beat out Masa if both are spamming Shoha. Since at that point Masa's aftermath doesn't exist while Amano's ODD (or whatever the 2.5 damage on Amano is called these days) is active at all times.

If Amano user is spamming Shoha/Kaiten while Masa user is using Fudo, then Masa would win since its aftermath ODD rate is higher than Amano's.

I don't have Masa to test any of this, but I would imagine these two weapons are extremely close and are somewhat situational. Personally, I just like the way Amano/Kaiten looks a lot more than Masa/Fudo.
By Ophannus 2012-10-01 11:58:04
Link | Quote | Reply

You cut the mob in half with Fudo. Masa wins. Also it's freakin masamune!

[+]
By Latifah 2012-10-01 12:03:42
Link | Quote | Reply

By Demule 2012-10-01 12:11:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophannus said: »
You cut the mob in half with Fudo. Masa wins. Also it's freakin masamune!

That looked a bit more like Kaiten~
 Bahamut.Relliik
Server: Bahamut
user: Rellikk
By Bahamut.Relliik 2012-10-01 12:14:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Both. If you can't make a masa at this day and age, idk what to say to you.

Make both and switch between depending on what you're doing.

#iSam #Sam4lyfe
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-10-01 12:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

unless you plan on taking Masamune to lv99 (Which, if you ask me, would be a silly thing to do) I'd just stay with/make Amano(99)

If you want to get real serious 'bout SAM, pursue a Kogarasumaru.
 Quetzalcoatl.Loneshadow
By Quetzalcoatl.Loneshadow 2012-10-01 12:26:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Masa > Bromano

Capped ACC you still get 20 STR from Masa99, compared to ODD from Amano. Because that is game breaking.

Cost about the same to get either to 99..

I've heard a few people say that Koga wasn't really worth 600m.

Comes down to you. Want a purple people eater or a shiny toothpick?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-10-01 12:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

buy marrows, ADL is hard

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Ejiin
Guide Maker
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ejin
By Ragnarok.Ejiin 2012-10-01 12:39:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Loneshadow said: »

Excuse me?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Loneshadow
By Quetzalcoatl.Loneshadow 2012-10-01 12:46:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ejiin said: »

Excuse me?
You're excused.
 Cerberus.Taint
Server: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-10-01 12:50:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Excuse me?

Unless his argument is nothing is worth 600mil, he probably doesn't know how broken a mythicSAM is.
 Quetzalcoatl.Loneshadow
By Quetzalcoatl.Loneshadow 2012-10-01 12:53:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Taint said: »

Excuse me?

Unless his argument is nothing is worth 600mil, he probably doesn't know how broken a mythicSAM is.
I wasn't focused on the discussion, but someone was crying about Koga not being worth it. Personally, I'd disagree. 40% DA 20% TA just sounds broken. But it was said.
 Bahamut.Relliik
By Bahamut.Relliik 2012-10-01 14:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Excuse me?

lol'd
VIP
By Jassik 2012-10-01 15:01:44
Link | Quote | Reply

The horse has been dead for a long time... as for koga not being worth 600m? That's really subjective. On paper its pretty broken, but i don't know how much content you can realistically keep am3 up. Its an amazing weapon for its delay alone. Its always my t1 bonanza choice, lol.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2012-10-01 15:09:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Masa vs. Amano is more of a wash than most Relic v. Emp comparisons, mostly because even though the Merit WS is stronger than the Emp (which would in most cases favor the relic weapon), 200 TP meditates mean SAM sacrifices relatively little to get 300 TP and let the Emp Aftermath shine.

I know this will pop some nerd monocles but the deciding factor (for me, at least) is that the margin between them is so slim you just can't ignore how easy it is to make a Masamune. I soloed my lanterns in a week on NIN/WAR (couldn't be bothered to zone out to change to /THF), and I bought the gems (hi relliik~) because I was too lazy to break myself and level BST to solo those, too. Making an Amano on top of it when I could be using all that currency to make a relic that would actually diversify my output (sup Anni, Gjallar, etc.) is just kind of, well, silly.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-10-01 15:20:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
Its an amazing weapon for its delay alone.
I don't think the delay has ever been a factor in Koga's favor; in fact I'd say quite the opposite. Hassozanshin and DA devalue AM3 somewhat. It's good though, among the upper tiers of mythics nowadays thanks to Shoha.

Meditate is tricky since it takes 27 seconds to get all that TP. AM3 SAM can easily build 300 TP in 30 seconds without Meditate, so the benefit isn't quite fully realized.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2012-10-01 15:32:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not suggesting you stop TPing while you wait for meditate to tick up. Just that it radically speeds up your run to 300 TP which, as you say, was pretty quick to begin with, so the fundamental assumption underlying all relic vs. emp comparisons, that it takes a long time to get to 300 TP to really take advantage of the Emp aftermath, does not apply here.
VIP
By Jassik 2012-10-01 21:34:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Its an amazing weapon for its delay alone.
I don't think the delay has ever been a factor in Koga's favor; in fact I'd say quite the opposite. Hassozanshin and DA devalue AM3 somewhat. It's good though, among the upper tiers of mythics nowadays thanks to Shoha. Meditate is tricky since it takes 27 seconds to get all that TP. AM3 SAM can easily build 300 TP in 30 seconds without Meditate, so the benefit isn't quite fully realized.

being able to cap haste without sacrificing your 5hit or seriously gimping your WS set was a big deal until Phorcys Salade and Phos +1, only Amano's with AM up were able to do it. Granted Koga is a lot more expensive than Phos +1 and getting a Salade, the biggest thing to devalue it is the zanshin update, sadly. One of the biggest boosts SAM has had in a LONG time makes the mythic GK less valuable.

If anything its delay is LESS of a factor now than it ever was, especially at 90 cap...
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-10-01 23:37:17
Link | Quote | Reply

If anything its delay is LESS of a factor now than it ever was, especially at 90 cap...
-Detrimental at 75 cap, 80 cap, and 85 cap, shouldn't have to explain any of these.

-Debateable at 90 cap. 5hit without significant sacrifice would have actually been possible for a hypothetical 437 delay Kogarasumaru thanks to Rana being three hits. I don't care enough to pursue the intricacies of this point, so I'll concede this era if you like.

-Detrimental at 95 cap, in which Misuuchi Kappa and Hagneia Stone were introduced and 5-hits became practical for even Masamune/Fudo.

-Obviously detrimental now at 99.

So at best you're talking about it being a boon for one small era in FFXI's history, an era wherein Koga was at one of its lowest points in the entire game due to 1) Abyssea 2) Hassozanshin 3) no Shoha or OA2-3 aftermath.
 Bahamut.Relliik
By Bahamut.Relliik 2012-10-02 01:11:34
Link | Quote | Reply

ScaevolaBahamut said: »
Masa vs. Amano is more of a wash than most Relic v. Emp comparisons, mostly because even though the Merit WS is stronger than the Emp (which would in most cases favor the relic weapon), 200 TP meditates mean SAM sacrifices relatively little to get 300 TP and let the Emp Aftermath shine.

I know this will pop some nerd monocles but the deciding factor (for me, at least) is that the margin between them is so slim you just can't ignore how easy it is to make a Masamune. I soloed my lanterns in a week on NIN/WAR (couldn't be bothered to zone out to change to /THF), and I bought the gems (hi relliik~) because I was too lazy to break myself and level BST to solo those, too. Making an Amano on top of it when I could be using all that currency to make a relic that would actually diversify my output (sup Anni, Gjallar, etc.) is just kind of, well, silly.

^^
VIP
By Jassik 2012-10-02 09:06:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
-Detrimental at 75 cap, 80 cap, and 85 cap, shouldn't have to explain any of these.

-Debateable at 90 cap. -Obviously detrimental now at 99.

Koga was at one of its lowest points in the entire game due to 1) Abyssea 2) Hassozanshin 3) no Shoha or OA2-3 aftermath.

even at 95 cap there was no way to cap haste 5 hit Masamune or Amano without gimping your WS set, and there was no Shoha or HassoZanshin until 99 cap. I'll concede you have a better understanding of the game math than me, but I you're not supporting your claims in any way.
 Fenrir.Iinfierno
By Fenrir.Iinfierno 2012-10-02 09:16:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Just get both weapons, simple...
[+]