Random Question Thread (FFXI Related)

Eorzea Time
 
 
 
Language: JP EN FR DE
7141 users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Random Question thread (FFXI related)
Random Question thread (FFXI related)
First Page 2 3 ... 1011 1012
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Offline
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2026-09-25 11:54:05
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Dodik said: »
Never tried it with rampart, maybe? Didn't think rampart could cut down magic dmg

Rampart is -25% SDT, which applies to all damage types. Same reason we used it for V15 Mboze's Tiiimbeeer move, back when it first came out. Just zerg it while its up.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Offline
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
User: NynJa
Posts: 8118
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2026-09-25 14:51:49
Link | Quote | Reply
 
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Offline
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
User: NynJa
Posts: 8118
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2026-09-25 14:52:42
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Dodik said: »
Didn't think rampart could cut down magic dmg
I expect this from Galkas, I thought you were better!
Offline
By Dodik 2026-09-25 14:57:18
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
I expect this from Galkas, I thought you were better!

Only Galkas play meat head jobs like Pld.

Only job I've never unlocked is pld. Though I <3 Run.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Offline
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
User: NynJa
Posts: 8118
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2026-09-27 10:29:30
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Whats the general consensus on the limbus saber and grip?

I remember when the patch dropped, there was a lot of intrigue in the grip for 2H weapons to replace Utu. Is that still the case or is Utu still king?

For the saber, I was looking at it to replace Gleti/Crep Knife for COR offhand situationally. The job is pretty starved for good PDL options. Would it be a better offhand when situations would make the PDL useful or the shitty delay just ruins it?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Offline
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2026-09-27 10:49:45
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Whats the general consensus on the limbus saber and grip?

I use the grip fulltime for the primary 2h jobs that are very strong on their own (DRG DRK WAR SAM), because chances are, if I'm one of these jobs, I'm rolling with near or max buffs. I'll probably be rolling 99ks somewhere throughout or high enough WSD that whatever extra DEX contribution from Utu to damage is less than Telopanos's PDL contribution. There are no real harsh DPS checks anymore anywyas, so I've gotten past using many sidegrade pices solely for damage. The -DT and Haste to me are much more valuable contributions to an overall build than whatever few points of DPS that is being added to an already high number. With both options being close, I use Telopanos.

If I'm splitting hairs: Utu is the safest and best option for meleeing and provides a modest HP boost. If I'm interested in further utility beyond damage, Telopanos Grip is better for me to retain highest -DT across all sets, along with never being under-the-haste-cap (Alabaster Earring). The Magic Accuracy is nice for landing debuffs. The PDL is helpful for pushing melee DPS further, though the attack on Utu also does the same anyways. The grips are functionally similar, if you look at Telopanos pre-augments (no attack or HP on base). Post Telopanos augments, both grips serve a purpose still, but IMO Telopanos provides better overall stat spread for both uncapped and capped scenarios. Hard to convince someone to spend several mil on the grip for that kind of utility, though. I still use Utu on my RUN, though, because I never expect to be capped attack on that job.

As far as the Saber goes, I originally picked one up for RDM Sanguine/RLB/Seraph Blade builds, as it has very high MDMG/MAB. But then I completely forgot that Crocea-C has +100% Elemental WSD, which probably still blows Telopanos away in that department. I suppose it would be a better nuking companion to pair with Bunzi's Rod, but then you're dropping Ammurapi's INT. It's definitely better for COR than for RDM for the use case. I also have a build with BLU for when I'm nuking, as it pairs nicely with Bunzi's Club. I haven't found an incredible use case for it yet, it's kind of just another sidegrade option to use here and there.

I don't have a PDL use-case for the saber either, but I guess it could be an offhand for shooting?
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
User: Akumasama
Posts: 11608
By Asura.Sechs 2026-09-27 11:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply
 
On COR I recently found myself doing lotsa quests on COR (usually /BLM for warp) roaming around with perma Bolter's to speed up things.
In this kind of situation I was often using Quick Draw to quickly shot down targets without even engaging, hardly ever found stuff that wasn't oneshot by a single Quickdraw but I digress.
For this type of situation I was mainhanding Naegling (for Mab/mdmg) and dualwielding Tauret if for whatever reason I was /DNC.
In this kind of situations Saber would of course be better and also a boost to Leaden damage for other similar situations where you're dealing damage with that and you're not already at 99k lol



On RDM for enspell stuff I found myself in three different situations:
1) I'm dealing magic damage while engaged and WSing (Shinryu VD solo? Can't think of anything else). In these situations you MH Crocea and OH Daybreak for a noticeable boost on Seraph Blade. If you're using different WS (Seraph > Red Lotus creates a SC and adds a bit of damage) then TPbonus is better in the long run, if you can afford the acc loss.

2) I'm dealing Enspell damage only, no WS and no physical damage. You want level 1 weapons here with lowest delay

3) I'm dealing Enspell damage, can engage but can't WS (MMM marbles farming), for this setup I think Kam'lanaut's sword OH is the best.


So for 2) and 3) Saber is off the screen.
For 1) it could be in... if say you're in a situation where you're chaining Red Lotus and Seraph but cannot use TPbonus because of acc issues (Shinryu solo VD), Saber would win. Would it win even when you don't have Acc concerns? I don't know, probably not?
[+]
Offline
By Dodik 2026-09-27 13:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Whats the general consensus on the limbus saber and grip?

IMO the grip should be full-timed on the 2h jobs.

Said it in the other thread, there is a cutoff point when you end up having more total pdl than wsd in your WS set. At that point, adding more pdl is worth less dmg than adding wsd.

But you could, say, use the grip and swap ephramad to cornelia if you're at that point - and chose ephramad. Or swap empy+3 with pdl to nyame with wsd.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Offline
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
User: NynJa
Posts: 8118
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2026-09-27 13:46:40
Link | Quote | Reply
 
So Grip worth keeping in back pocket

Saber is trash, atleast for what I wanted to use it for (offhand on COR for the PDL)


I have a shitton of limbus mats and nothing to make because this content is such a *** slow drip that the gear never sells :(
 Asura.Sechs
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
User: Akumasama
Posts: 11608
By Asura.Sechs 2026-09-27 14:10:39
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Dodik said: »
Said it in the other thread, there is a cutoff point when you end up having more total pdl than wsd in your WS set. At that point, adding more pdl is worth less dmg than adding wsd.
That's an extremely useful compass to make decisions, but Utu isn't WSD technically.
I mean its added 10% DEX mod gotta be similar, but it's not the same.
Wonder how it compares to straight WSD.
No 2H relevant WS that I can think of relies on DEX main mod, but in the era of statsvomit we're bound to have a considerable amount of DEX even without specifically gearing for it.
Offline
By Dodik 2026-09-27 14:15:27
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Stat mods are not straight multipliers like wsd and pdl are unless you have something like a 100% stat mod on the WS.

+10% Dex mod, if your WS has no dex mod already, is not going to beat wsd with any reasonable amount of dex. You can try it out, but I doubt it.

If it was +10% str mod there will be an argument for it.
 Bahamut.Bojack
Offline
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
User: Bojack316
Posts: 2265
By Bahamut.Bojack 2026-09-29 00:21:08
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Do skillchains use the effect of Cors elemental shots? Like if I use Earth Shot then Wildfire for Darkness is the bonus damage from Earth Shot used up on the Darkness because it includes the earth element.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Offline
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
Posts: 3128
By Ragnarok.Martel 2026-09-29 03:08:55
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Bahamut.Bojack said: »
Do skillchains use the effect of Cors elemental shots? Like if I use Earth Shot then Wildfire for Darkness is the bonus damage from Earth Shot used up on the Darkness because it includes the earth element.
Wow, that is one hell of a niche question... lol. I don't actually know, but.. some thoughts.

If it could eat the bonus, keep in mind that the SC would need to have actually selected the same element as the shot for that to even be feasible. When an SC has multiple elements the element applied is the one the mob has the lowest resistance to of the SC elements. Or if there's a tie, then it selects in a default priority order.

Sadly.. I can easily see this happening on like, Ongo. Earth shot then close darkness... Mob is weakest to Earth... SC does earth dmg... But do SC get the bonus/consume the effect? They are.. technically a magic attack, if a fairly unique sort.

It wouldn't be too terribly hard to come up with a test for this, I think. Either test the SC damage and see if it's higher than a control sample. Or test some form of magic dmg right after the SC, and see if it is still getting the bonus. Probably use a single element SC to make sure the damage is the expected element without digging into the mob's resist ranks. Maybe have a SCH help with the SC part since they can do static closing damage. Mind you, I'm not subbed so I can't test anything atm.
 Bismarck.Sterk
Offline
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
User: Llewelyn
Posts: 634
By Bismarck.Sterk 2026-09-29 03:33:07
Link | Quote | Reply
 
SCs would appear to eat QD Shot bonuses.

Sandspin: 173
Earth Shot > Sandspin: 227
Burning Blade > Earth Shot > Wasp Sting (Scission) > Sandspin: 173(Earth Shot was performed before Wasp Sting but showed up after Wasp Sting in log because of animation duration).
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
Offline
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
Posts: 3128
By Ragnarok.Martel 2026-09-29 04:04:53
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Nice test. Using blue magic to test was clever. You can cast right after an SC and even match elements, but it won't burst without Burst affinity. So you can cleanly compare the damage to the other sample, rather than needing two bursted samples.
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
User: Vyrerus
Posts: 16858
By Asura.Vyre 2026-09-29 09:25:37
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Does Requiescat bypass the WS Wall?
First Page 2 3 ... 1011 1012