Some Friendly Advice Please!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » Some Friendly advice please!
Some Friendly advice please!
First Page 2 3 4
 Bismarck.Yamimarikk
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Yamimarikk 2011-08-22 06:06:34
Link | Quote | Reply

So before I begin, I'd greatly appreciate all forum trollers to be on your merry way, I have no use for your non-sense.

~~~~Hey all!~~~~

So I just want some friendly advice about SCH please, I basically already know the whole concept of it as far as using the magic and what not, but I would like another mage type job in my arsenal and I'm so sick of RDM(Was 75 for 4+yrs on my first character) and honestly just sick to death of RDM, BLM and WHM purely maining in their respective arts has honestly never appealed to me, SMN and BLU are already 90 so I think want to lvl SCH as my next 90 but I'd just like some ideas about strategems useage, strategies, over all useage of SCH, any input from new SCH's experienced SCH's anything would be helpful, and don't start about (Derp derp derp Aby is life! SCH have no place in Aby!) b/c we all know Abyssea isn't everything, and will come to an end soon. Thank you all in advance for any and all input.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Yamimarikk
By Bismarck.Yamimarikk 2011-08-22 06:23:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh jos <3 I love when you pay me attention, It was just something going through my mind so I thought I'd post it before I forgot, I'm very forgetful ; ;, I'm sure they will let Klimaform be used as /sch, just wouldn't make since to not have access to a spell you've learned if you meet the lvl/job requirements.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-22 06:26:08
Link | Quote | Reply

The strats are relatively straight forward.

And don't assume you'll be playing it much in Abyssea. There are other jobs that can do what it can do, better and more efficiently.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-08-22 06:28:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Yamimarikk said: »

war/sam
[+]
 Sylph.Kiaru
Server: Sylph
user: Shiyo
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-08-22 06:31:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Ironguy said: »

war/sam
more like rdm/sch
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-22 06:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Ironguy said: »

war/sam

You heard of DRG mah nagger?

It's like far better than WAR
[+]
 Bismarck.Yamimarikk
By Bismarck.Yamimarikk 2011-08-22 06:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Umm... I'm pretty sure I said I'm more interested in the magical oriented jobs, and that I was SICK to death of RDM, I want SCH advice, not anything else please, I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE WAR, so that will never happen.
 Sylph.Kiaru
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-08-22 07:14:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Umm... I'm pretty sure I said I'm more interested in the magical oriented jobs, and that I was SICK to death of RDM, I want SCH advice, not anything else please, I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE WAR, so that will never happen.
I like you
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-22 07:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kiaru said: »
I like you

Unique snowflake detected
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-08-22 07:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE WAR, so that will never happen.

do you hate it just as much as you did before now?

no but really, the war/sam thing's an inside forum joke to some degree, CARRY ON WITH YOUR BOOKS AND STUDIES you scholar
 Sylph.Kiaru
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-08-22 07:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

^ That makes me hate it more, why can you do 5228 ws damage outside abyssea <_<, that isn't broken or anything
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-08-22 07:19:03
Link | Quote | Reply

it only did that much damage through the power of metal and me being STRONG

Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-22 07:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Word of Advice Ironguy, don't even bother with Kiaru she has serious issues and it hurts to even read what she waffles on about half the time.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-08-22 07:20:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said: »
waffles

i'm interested
 Sylph.Kiaru
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-08-22 07:21:00
Link | Quote | Reply

You tell that to someone talking to me on msn :X?
 Bismarck.Yamimarikk
By Bismarck.Yamimarikk 2011-08-22 07:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply

You all are just full of fun and wisdom! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D(wears his sarcastic smile proudly!) Where are the SCH's at ; ;(no wise cracks about how they're gone thx to aby)
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-22 07:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kiaru said: »
You tell that to someone talking to me on msn :X?

May god have mercy on his soul. Get out whilst you can.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-08-22 07:23:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Where are the SCH's at ; ;

libraries, where they belong

if you have 100 cooking, go make me a sandwich

scratch that, make me waffles
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-08-22 07:26:35
Link | Quote | Reply

The SCH's are reading up on an ancient magic called Ultima.

SCH aren't that useful anymore thanks to SE being douchebags and making Yellow Procs include BLM onry spells.

Outside of abyssea, you'll mostly heal or just nuke things like a RDM. Strategems are useful.

The SCH only spells are fun to play with but what's awesome is in the 80s you get Regain, which makes Melee jobs like you for 2 seconds then they see the pretty BLM nukes.

Until SE make helixes part of Yellow procs, SCH isn't useful as much and you'd be better off leveling BLM.
 Sylph.Kiaru
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-08-22 07:27:53
Link | Quote | Reply

SCH is unplayable until level 99 imo, and level 95 at the earlier, at least you get fire5 and blizz5 by 95 <_<

I won't be touching it until I can at sub RDM and get haste :|

My sch is @ 90 despite what my profile says... ._.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-08-22 07:31:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kalyna said: »
Until SE make helixes part of Yellow procs

why would they try to "fix" something that's been acceptable for the last little while, seeing how sch can do two of six anyways

more on-track, every job has its own stagger possibility inside vwnm thankfully(?), so everything's useful to some degree, though regardless, black mage having access to a larger bulk of spells is generally more useful there, yes

in terms of pure nuking damage, i believe sch and blm were neck and neck atm, though i'm not entirely sure currently, nor do i really care myself since i've got a hammer that destroys things and stuff, all while the whm and sch healing comparison is somewhat one-sided, given that cure iv and no access to cure v = sadface at lv90 and our larger hp bars
By Nevill 2011-08-22 07:35:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Wish I couuld help you, Yami. A scholar I am not!
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-08-22 07:37:12
Link | Quote | Reply

BLM outnukes SCH by far.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-22 07:38:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Scholar can hit high, but they expend a lot to do so

Whereas BLM can just derp it's way to high damage.

They hardly do terrible damage though. People over exaggerate. If a job isn't optimal it's useless according to the majority.

But most people don't understand that

less useful =/= useless. I play BRD most of the time even though I have a WHM in the wings ready to go.
 Bismarck.Yamimarikk
By Bismarck.Yamimarikk 2011-08-22 07:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

*Completely ignoring Kalyna and Kiaru* What part of my first post I don't want to hear abyssea excuses don't most of you get? Yay I like making empys too, but if I want a seal REALLY badly I can go solo on NIN or THF or DNC or SMN if I don't feel like /sh for a pt, and same can be said solo or duo for some +2 items, only time I require the upmost from abyssea is lvling or empyrean weapon items. I was looking for advice on a potential job I want to level, to me BLM and WHM are mundane and boring they have one role, RDM is just not for me anymore I played it for about 4-5years and just go absolutely sick of the job, It was fun and had it's moments, but I'm done. I'm interested in SCH to say the least and I wanted ideas, help, understanding the job better, not this stupid crap "LVL a different job" "Abyssea has no place for SCH's! DERP!" please just leave if you have no information about SCH and don't play it. I want some "friendly" positive feed back....(In retrospect thanks for the some what ok advice on some SCH usage though Kalyna.)
 Bismarck.Faelar
user: Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2011-08-22 08:32:36
Link | Quote | Reply

What most people don't get about SCH is that it isn't a mage. It's a tactician. The whole point is looking at what you have available and deciding how to best use it at the right time.

That being said, SCH has a lot of potential in the hands of the player who knows what the job can do. This of course, takes a lot of work, as macros need to be very fluid, switching between the different areas SCH deals with.

It's a fun job and it my 2nd 75 job before cap was raised. If you want to level it, go for it. If not to 90 then to 49, as its also an awesome subjob.
 Bismarck.Yamimarikk
By Bismarck.Yamimarikk 2011-08-22 08:39:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Finally a good response! ty ty Faelar ; ;, and yes I know all the potential of /sch as I had it lvl'd on my first character and was quite fond of the old SMN/SCH solo method's I've just been too lazy on sj lvling atm to finish it or /whm lol.
 Unicorn.Savoree
Server: Unicorn
user: Arriole
By Unicorn.Savoree 2011-08-22 08:39:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kalyna said: »
SCH aren't that useful anymore thanks to SE being douchebags and making Yellow Procs include BLM onry spells.

^ This is my main issue with me not using Scholar at the moment.

Also: No, it cant heal as good as a WHM, and no, it cant nuke as much as a BLM, but to be able to do both on one job is great, especially in low man situations.

I only low man these days because I am sooo over LS kiddie drama and elitist derps, (and so my mule can actually lot on stuff), and in many low man scenarios, its great to have a job that can both nuke and heal "respectfully".

Be prepared to use that spell cast cheat stuff or make lots of macros that you can find quickly.
Scholar = macro hell.

Scholar is not a job to be used only occasionally and then expected to be used correctly as witnessed by sooo many cruddy scholars out there.

With practice, and lots of pre macro set-up, Scholar can be helpful and loads of fun. (Just dont expect to trigger grellow :P)
First Page 2 3 4