Magic Attack Bonus Cap?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Magic Attack Bonus cap?
Magic Attack Bonus cap?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-10 11:33:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
So you're saying if I put on 5 MAB it doesn't directly give more dmg, it just multiplys my inate stats a bit?
Correct.

Quote:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
4) There is an inflection point where adding INT becomes significantly less valuable with respect to damage (normal decreasing returns aside)
this is exactly what I tried to say night, you said it was *** then reiterated it? I said "there is a key exact number of INT per mob that you should/can aim for, at that key point mathematically potency accuracy and efficiency take a turn for INT vs MAB" -_-
You're taking that quote out of context.

Quote:
but you're not going to hit it at INT=150 on anything relevant with higher tier spells, much less everything relevant.
This was the important part. He's advocating 150 INT for one reason or another, but if it's for the reason of a supposed inflection point at 150 INT then he's still wrong because he will not hit that inflection point with an INT of 150 in a practical scenario.

Quote:
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
So, basically, what Nightfyre is saying then, is that I'm dumb?
yup mathematically. I still doubt your finding nothing personal, just going to ss some myself
To be fair, he did say he performed the tests naked. It's an incredibly poor methodology for finding which item is better in practice, but it does explain how he got his result. If you're naked aside from your weapon, Dorje would be better.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-06-10 11:34:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
the childish man has some valid points though trouble
Everyone in this thread has some valid points.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-06-10 11:35:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Liltrouble said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
correct lol..well maybe not dumb but misinformed.
No, he specifically used the term "dumb", which totally nullifies everything he's attempting to point out. Critisizing someone is one thing, but to outright deflame him because of his play style is childish and obvious trolling.
He's not trolling at all..and technically you using 150 int and telling other ppl to use 150+ int is "dumb"..there is some good info in what he's posted..learn it, love it, live it!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-10 11:35:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Liltrouble said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
correct lol..well maybe not dumb but misinformed.
No, he specifically used the term "dumb", which totally nullifies everything he's attempting to point out. Critisizing someone is one thing, but to outright deflame him because of his play style is childish and obvious trolling.
*** and moan about my opinion of your thought processes all you like, but it doesn't invalidate basic arithmetic. Nor does "playstyle", unless your playstyle is to always be naked. I'm sure others would have their own opinions about you doing so though.
 Cerberus.Evilpaul
Server: Cerberus
user: Evilpaul
By Cerberus.Evilpaul 2011-06-10 11:36:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
I would swap out your neck for artemis most of the time, you're deliberately doing less dmg for slightly more acc that you won't need.

As for a cap nah I've never had one but 999. good test is to brew, nuke a blizz 4 then ascetics gambir blizz 4. if it does no extra more dmg then you know "mab caps at 999"

And dude, someone with 11 jobs 90 can't really get away with "I got no time" looks real suspicious lol
I wasn't aware Brews gave any MAB.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-06-10 11:41:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Evilpaul said:
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
I would swap out your neck for artemis most of the time, you're deliberately doing less dmg for slightly more acc that you won't need.

As for a cap nah I've never had one but 999. good test is to brew, nuke a blizz 4 then ascetics gambir blizz 4. if it does no extra more dmg then you know "mab caps at 999"

And dude, someone with 11 jobs 90 can't really get away with "I got no time" looks real suspicious lol
I wasn't aware Brews gave any MAB.

I think people found they give +900(?) opposed to +999 (like other stats). I could be wrong or running with old information though, so I'll wait for others to confirm/deny before I say it's fact =P
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-10 11:42:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
So you're saying if I put on 5 MAB it doesn't directly give more dmg, it just multiplys my inate stats a bit?
Correct.
you never did answer my question. forget naked if that helps you.

Even match neutral mob in abyssea
beyond ultimate MM and OP's gear.
Blizzard 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
How much MAB will each nuke need to beat out Aquilo's in damage? was 66..67 mab you mentioned for a blizz 3?
I did answer your question, the answer is 66.667 MAB for every tier if you neglect the 5 INT on Aquilo's because MAB is a multiplicative modifier on your base damage. I'm not going to get into the exact value for each tier including the 5 INT because then I'd also need your INT and the enemy's INT, so the answer will vary slightly in different situations. It would never be higher than 66.667 MAB though.
 Sylph.Krsone
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-06-10 11:42:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Liltrouble said:
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
the childish man has some valid points though trouble
Everyone in this thread has some valid points.

What was yours?
[+]
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-06-10 11:44:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Regardless, I'll keep my gear as it is, my int build as it is, and hold my own vs. whoever.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-06-10 11:45:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Celestius said:
I can't find any information about whether there's a cap on Magic Attack bonus or not. As a BLM I have lots of it; 5/5 +2 AF3, Novio, Hecate's Earring are my main source. I mix up between INT and MAB bonus for nuking, but I'm unsure if I should add more MAB since my elemental skill is capped and have no problem landing nukes the majority of the time.

Here is my setup for nuking. The Diamond ring is augmented with +3 INT.

I do not believe that MAB has a ceiling. If it does, it's higher than what can be attained using current Traits, Gear, Bonuses, Enhancements, etc.

I do remember reading someone's analysis of MAB, and s/he concluded that adding more and more MAB adds gradually "diminishing returns". I assume this means adding more MAB grants a progressively smaller amount of damage per MAB. However, even if that's true, more MAB does continue to increase one's nuke damage, even if it's by smallish amounts, and it doesn't "cap".
I wish I could remember the source article, but it's been too long since I read it and I can't find it atm.
 Sylph.Krsone
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-06-10 11:47:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Liltrouble said:
Regardless, I'll keep my gear as it is, my int build as it is, and hold my own vs. whoever.

Ignorance is bliss. :D

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-10 11:51:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Siren.Celestius said:
I can't find any information about whether there's a cap on Magic Attack bonus or not. As a BLM I have lots of it; 5/5 +2 AF3, Novio, Hecate's Earring are my main source. I mix up between INT and MAB bonus for nuking, but I'm unsure if I should add more MAB since my elemental skill is capped and have no problem landing nukes the majority of the time.

Here is my setup for nuking. The Diamond ring is augmented with +3 INT.

I do not believe that MAB has a ceiling. If it does, it's higher than what can be attained using current Traits, Gear, Bonuses, Enhancements, etc.

I do remember reading someone's analysis of MAB, and s/he concluded that adding more and more MAB adds gradually "diminishing returns". I assume this means adding more MAB grants a progressively smaller amount of damage per MAB. However, even if that's true, more MAB does continue to increase one's nuke damage, even if it's by smallish amounts, and it doesn't "cap".
I wish I could remember the source article, but it's been too long since I read it and I can't find it atm.
It's a progressively smaller proportion of your total damage, though 1 point of MAB will always add 1% of the spells base (pre-MAB) damage to your total.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-06-10 11:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

So, now I'm dumb and ignorant, because I won't conform to...? Trial staves? Or, because I believe that my nuke build isn't inferior? Or because I believe that Int has a direct impact on overall dmg?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-10 11:53:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
So right now you're telling me if I put on 66.67 MAB (in gear or atma) and cast blizz 1 2 3 4 and 5 in abyssea, then did the same with aquilos I would get the same dmg on the same mob night? (if I neglect the 5 INT)

that's interesting if so
Well, 30.667 in gear/atma/potency merits since you have 36 MAB in traits but yes, 66.667 MAB total.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-10 11:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Liltrouble said:
So, now I'm dumb and ignorant, because I won't conform to...? Trial staves? Or, because I believe that my nuke build isn't inferior? Or because I believe that Int has a direct impact on overall dmg?
The bolded, because it can be empirically demonstrated that you're wrong yet you're willfully disregarding that evidence. Simply stating that INT has a direct impact on overall damage is not ignorant (it's true and nobody is arguing that), but stating that 150+ INT is an ideal goal that everyone should strive for can also be shown to be false.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-06-10 11:56:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Krsone said:
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
Ignorance is bliss. :D
In this case ignorance is just dumb..

I would welcome the challenge feel free to come to Bahamut and we shall have a nuke off.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-06-10 12:00:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Liltrouble makes the BLM inside me sad.
A black mage that cares atleast a tiny bit about himself, should _atleast_ have ice staff done.

Oh, and loldorje. :P
I suppose if you dont care about the job at all, and dont need hq staffs for any other job, sure.. I could accept that, if its only for procs in abyssea.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-06-10 12:00:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
The bolded, because it can be empirically demonstrated that you're wrong yet you're willfully disregarding that evidence. Simply stating that INT has a direct impact on overall damage is not ignorant (it's true and nobody is arguing that), but stating that 150+ INT is an ideal goal can also be shown to be false.
No, as I previously stated, 150 int was my personal goal because that's what I was told as I was leveling Blm. I recommended it as a goal because it's not too difficult to achieve. I found that resist rates with an int less than 150 were higher as well.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-10 12:02:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Liltrouble said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
The bolded, because it can be empirically demonstrated that you're wrong yet you're willfully disregarding that evidence. Simply stating that INT has a direct impact on overall damage is not ignorant (it's true and nobody is arguing that), but stating that 150+ INT is an ideal goal can also be shown to be false.
No, as I previously stated, 150 int was my personal goal because that's what I was told as I was leveling Blm. I recommended it as a goal because it's not too difficult to achieve. I found that resist rates with an int less than 150 were higher as well.
Quote:
I still say that if you're not nuking with 150+ int, you need to replace something to get to that int. Minimum 150.
You're changing your story; your original post said nothing about "personal goals" and had no restrictions on your advocation of 150+ INT. If resist rates are an issue, perhaps you should change out your lolDorje for an HQ staff, I hear they also add macc.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-06-10 12:04:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see where I've changed anything at all. I'm reiterating, in other words.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Queazy
user: Queezy
By Fenrir.Queazy 2011-06-10 12:06:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Liltrouble said:
I used to swear by HQ staves and INT>MAB. I still say that if you're not nuking with 150+ int, you need to replace something to get to that int. Minimum 150. I currently nuke with a 101+55 Int build (with food), However, I don't have the patience to do trials, never have. I don't use HQ staves anymore either though, having discovered that my Dorje does slightly better. I think it really depends upon merits, Int build, and such as well. You really want a nice combination.

Thread shoulda ended here imo >.>(im guessing even at 90 right)

This wins fail of the year award I think.
~but hey play the way you want, u pay for your account don't let anybody tell you how to play, if you think its right so be it, but I'm just telling you its wrong.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-06-10 12:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, I hate to re-hash one of my "soap-box" pet peeves regarding BLM nuking, but considering how often I continue to read about BLM's claiming "I never get resisted!" (lol), it's probably worth repeating here.

If we ignore Auto-Refresh atma from Abyssea (presuming you remember FFXI before Abyssea's release and/or you anticipate future Level-Cap increases will not be Abyssea-related), getting even one resisted nuke out of 10 is an inefficient waste of MP. In some cases (highly-difficult NMs and/or time-restricted battles), that minor inefficiency can be the difference between winning and losing.

Therefore, (in my opinion) it's a folly to be concerned about having the highest/biggest nuke damage, unless you are honestly really being resisted only 5-6% of your casts against a target.

Consider this (hypothetical, but realistic numbers):

Let's suppose BLM "A" nukes 10 times against a target and has no resisted casts, each landing for 2000 damage. That's 20,000 total damage.
Now, BLM "B" has managed to use more MAB gear, while sacrificing some Elemental Magic Skill and/or Magic Accuracy. His/her nukes now do 2100 damage per cast. However, one of his/her 10 nukes gets a 50% resist, and another one gets a 75% resist. The other 8 casts land un-resisted. That totals 18,375 damage.

It cost 2,820 MP to cast those 10 nukes. So, BLM "A" is doing 7.09 damage-per-MP, and BLM "B" is doing 6.52 damage-per-MP.

BLM "A" is roughly 9% more efficient in damage-dealing than BLM "B". I would argue that makes BLM "A" roughly 9% better than BLM "B", even though BLM "B" does higher single-cast damage when un-resisted.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-06-10 12:13:00
Link | Quote | Reply

That's true about resists, but.

This is my current full-dmg set, I still need all the new pieces added :(
Artemis' medal/ugga pendant when possible, and sorc ring outside of abyssea.(and ofc obi/twilight cape when possible)

Truth is, there isnt much to change if you wanna gear for more macc these days.
Like, I'd use goetia mantle, and fulltime goetia necklace.
And if the mob is _really_ tough, maybe I'd use af gloves.
AF3 might not be the best af3 set for pure dmg, but it got alot of macc!

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-06-10 12:21:46
Link | Quote | Reply

With the included new gear, this is currently my goal, unless I forgot something:
 Bismarck.Gael
user: Gael
By Bismarck.Gael 2011-06-10 12:25:56
Link | Quote | Reply

if you have a genesis locket and the af 3 +2 hands, you should go with a critical magic grip instead the +1 int one ^^
[+]