Magic Attack Bonus Cap?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Magic Attack Bonus cap?
Magic Attack Bonus cap?
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-06-10 10:21:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Mainly the issue for me was I was doing it outside of abyssea and not always picking best camp or mob. Now having done them all and helping friend go through his I will pretty much know the best camp, ammount of repops and rough ammount of kills you can manage per hour for w/e trial youre at. Just helped a friend finish 2 trials yesterday in highlands funguar>>treants for indra staff using charged whisker for killshot managing over 100 per hour, 10 mob pull per 5-6mins. Just thinking what spells im gonna aoe killshot with for his other staffs, besides the obvious acrid stream for his agni staff.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-06-10 10:21:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I am not a fan of ToM..it bores me and they make me wanna rage. The only staff i've done is Cure Potency but I've really been thinking about doing Bliz/Ice lately. I just need to get off my lazy *** and just do them..same goes for Obi's..
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2011-06-10 10:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
I am not a fan of ToM..it bores me and they make me wanna rage. The only staff i've done is Cure Potency but I've really been thinking about doing Bliz/Ice lately. I just need to get off my lazy *** and just do them..same goes for Obi's..
bad zor Bad. </3

@ Krosne.FML I forgot BLU can help with their spells.

Course we do it the hard way D:.

I will be redoing a Cure potency staff though for the whm alt.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Headstrong
Server: Odin
By Odin.Headstrong 2011-06-10 10:24:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Obi's are really fast now D: Just did the light one not long ago.
For the ToM staffs i only did Ice/thunder dmg and the cure staff :O don't really see what i would need the others for.
 Odin.Dezaar
Server: Odin
user: dezaar
By Odin.Dezaar 2011-06-10 10:25:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Tulnig said:
If there is a cap, it's currently unattainable.

This...Maybe... No way to tell... Moooaaarrrrr MAB!
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-06-10 10:40:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried the TOM staves and I had to /wrist. What a time sink! I was considering doing, in the very least, a cure potency staff for my whm, but would rather camp Cuijatender a million times to get the Beneficus. It doesn't have any potency on it, but it looks sexy!!!
 Cerberus.Zandra
Server: Cerberus
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2011-06-10 10:41:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Staffs were definitely a pain lol.

Pots were the worst as they have a native Magic defense bonus that 1/2s your damage. Weapons were a pain but their MDB is only like a 20% reduction. Weapons however often casted blink which was the ultimate troll.

Easy trials were ones you could piggy back onto a BST type mob, the kill rates were consistent and they were easy to keep up with. You'd be done in a few hours and not have to fall out of a reasonable rhythm.

Otherwise all you really need is a friend or two to team up with. Since the group shares the kill, it was no biggie for me and 3 other blms to round up all the Skeles in EC to round up a bunch of mobs and just AGA sleep AGA sleep etc... Doing them solo especially outside is just insane! Some trials we're literally nuke 1 and rest to full, if you were doing that you have infinitely more patience than I do lol.

/hattip

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-06-10 10:46:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
I used to swear by HQ staves and INT>MAB. I still say that if you're not nuking with 150+ int, you need to replace something to get to that int. Minimum 150. I currently nuke with a 101+55 Int build (with food), However, I don't have the patience to do trials, never have. I don't use HQ staves anymore either though, having discovered that my Dorje does slightly better. I think it really depends upon merits, Int build, and such as well. You really want a nice combination.
So right now if you went into abyssea, with beyond ultimate and MM your saying your Dorje will outnuke aquilos on a blizzard 5? -_-

or you mean outside abyssea on old content lil?
Idk, tbh. Inside of Abby I use Beyond, MM, and depending on what I'm doing, foeflayer (for that awesome refresh during day) or ultimate. In or out of Abby though I personally have tested the Dorje against the HQ staves and saw a slight improvement, but nothing that would have you gasping. Testing it against other Blm's is impossible as the ones geared/merited as I am are extremely rare. I still use my Pluto's staff, of course, but only for enfeebs. It's nice having the extra inventory as well.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-06-10 10:54:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahhhhhh pots for earth staff ofc forgot about that trial, yes thats easily by far worst trial ever to do if you dont have smn or a smn to help you. Megalith throw will still get 50% resisted always but never 100% even when spectral barrier is up as for mountain buster this never resists always did 2-4k dmg. Thats only staff trial I did as rdm and had a smn friend basically solo it for me just giving them fresh2.
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2011-06-10 10:55:49
Link | Quote | Reply

@ Josiah- pleaselet us know what you come up with :)! I will check this thread after work ~

@ Krsone I have not hit that trial yet..I will guess I should go smn then eh? lol
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-10 10:56:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The idea that 25 MAB is better than an HQ staff with good BLM gear holds about as much water as the idea that you must nuke in 150+ INT.

That is to say, none at all.

Liltrouble is currently wearing 44 MAB in gear (excluding Dorje) and has another 36 from traits for a total of 80 MAB. 25 MAB is a 205/180=13.889% increase in damage. If using an element for which you have potency merits, it's 215/190=13.158%. Considering that HQ staves are a straight 15% increase it should be readily evident that Dorje is inferior even before considering the macc on the HQ staves, should it be relevant. Sorc Ring would further devalue Dorje, as would a mcrit proc.

Spell tier and dINT have no effect on the outcome.
[+]
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-06-10 10:59:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
I'll go fight something nakked then with aquilos then with mab +25 instead today. want to see this difference lol I honestly thought you'd only win for tier I and II nukes, but make 3 4 and 5 no contest hmmm
As I've said, I've tested it personally. I was naked, no food. When I said "slightly better", I mean, on a Aura stat, in sky, my Blz V with aquilos (naked) capped at 1170. Dorje (naked) capped at 1216. Both were pretty consistant. And you're right, the noticable difference were the lower tier nukes. Inside of Abby, with the atmas I mentioned, the difference was more noticeable, but I disregarded that.

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Zandra
Server: Cerberus
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2011-06-10 11:05:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Staffs were definitely a pain lol.

Pots were the worst as they have a native Magic defense bonus that 1/2s your damage. Weapons were a pain but their MDB is only like a 20% reduction. Weapons however often casted blink which was the ultimate troll.

Easy trials were ones you could piggy back onto a BST type mob, the kill rates were consistent and they were easy to keep up with. You'd be done in a few hours and not have to fall out of a reasonable rhythm.

Otherwise all you really need is a friend or two to team up with. Since the group shares the kill, it was no biggie for me and 3 other blms to round up all the Skeles in EC to round up a bunch of mobs and just AGA sleep AGA sleep etc... Doing them solo especially outside is just insane! Some trials we're literally nuke 1 and rest to full, if you were doing that you have infinitely more patience than I do lol.

/hattip
how did you pull that off, ele seal horde lullaby? cant think of any other way to sleep ~12 skeletons instantly lol

Hmmmm I should clarify, that might not have been for the skele trial, but as a SCH I have access to bind/ga and grav/ga. With 3 BLMs and a SCH you only really need 1-2 rounds of aerogas. You can either round them up and bind/sleep them, then you gravga them then the blms aeroga/ja and fire away until they're dead.

Either that or with 4 nukers you pick them off 1 at a time.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-06-10 11:05:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
I was thinking of it like " say 25 mab gives 50 more dmg. so as long 16% of your nuke does more than 50 dmg, Dorje will be inferior" meaning yeah tier 1 and II might be beaten with it but who casts those at these lvls anyways

I'm curious either way the exact amount of mab that will allow a tier 1 3 or 3 nuke to match aquilos, regardless of liltrouble

But night I think he meant "there is a key exact number of INT per mob that you should/can aim for, at that key point mathematically potency accuracy and efficiency take a turn for INT vs MAB" and he just found 150 was his own point? hmmm
Well, Rdm was my first job and first love. I capped it twice as a matter of fact, but while leveling Blm, back in the day, I was mentored by a couple of friends that were main Blm's and they always agreed that 150 was the int goal, for overall dmg and resist rates, etc.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-06-10 11:17:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Angelskiss said:
@ Josiah- pleaselet us know what you come up with :)! I will check this thread after work ~ @ Krsone I have not hit that trial yet..I will guess I should go smn then eh? lol

Well I did that trial before Grauberg abys was released, obviously the pots there will be better weather ur having a dd melee them down and you kill shot them with stone spell or weather a smn helps you. I assume a well geared smn with best atmas for mountain buster and refresh atma etc would actually plough through 250 pots in Grauberg at a much more reasonable speed than a blm would in sky for example.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-10 11:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
I was thinking of it like " say 25 mab gives 50 more dmg. so as long 16% of your nuke does more than 50 dmg, Dorje will be inferior" meaning yeah tier 1 and II might be beaten with it but who casts those at these lvls anyways
That's not how it works though. Both are multiplicative modifiers, so you're looking for the point where an increase of 25 is equal to an increase of 15. this is easily calculated:

(x+0.25)/x=1.15
x+0.25=1.15x
0.25=0.15x
x=0.25/0.15=1.66666667

Or 66.667 MAB. Above this point, Dorje is inferior. You need a mere 31 MAB to make HQ staves better than Dorje after considering BLM's innate traits.

Quote:
I'm curious either way the exact amount of mab that will allow a tier 1 3 or 3 nuke to match aquilos, regardless of liltrouble
Would be slightly less than what I calculated above since Aquilo's has 5 INT.

Quote:
But night I think he meant "there is a key exact number of INT per mob that you should/can aim for, at that key point mathematically potency accuracy and efficiency take a turn for INT vs MAB" and he just found 150 was his own point? hmmm
That's complete ***, and here's why:

1) Different spell tiers have different M and V values, changing the proportional impact of INT on base damage.
2) Mobs have varying INT values, further varying your dINT.
3) That's not what he said at all. He flat-out stated 150+ INT is the way to go, not "this is what works for me" (which is still dumb but nonetheless).
4) There is an inflection point where adding INT becomes significantly less valuable with respect to damage (normal decreasing returns aside), but you're not going to hit it at INT=150 on anything relevant with higher tier spells, much less everything relevant.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-06-10 11:22:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
The idea that 25 MAB is better than an HQ staff with good BLM gear holds about as much water as the idea that you must nuke in 150+ INT. That is to say, none at all. Liltrouble is currently wearing 44 MAB in gear (excluding Dorje) and has another 36 from traits for a total of 80 MAB. 25 MAB is a 205/180=13.889% increase in damage. If using an element for which you have potency merits, it's 215/190=13.158%. Considering that HQ staves are a straight 15% increase it should be readily evident that Dorje is inferior even before considering the macc on the HQ staves, should it be relevant. Sorc Ring would further devalue Dorje, as would a mcrit proc. Spell tier and dINT have no effect on the outcome.
own'd
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-06-10 11:24:18
Link | Quote | Reply

So, basically, what Nightfyre is saying then, is that I'm dumb?

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-06-10 11:26:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Liltrouble said:
correct lol..well maybe not dumb but misinformed.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-06-10 11:30:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
correct lol..well maybe not dumb but misinformed.
No, he specifically used the term "dumb", which totally nullifies everything he's attempting to point out. Critisizing someone is one thing, but to outright deflame him because of his play style is childish and obvious trolling.