users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dancer » Dancer Dagger Help/Opinions
Dancer Dagger Help/Opinions
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-07-26 12:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

i would however like to express my current feelings on the matter in the form of a lovely poem:

*** you, dodu
i'm tired of your bS
through and through
while you *** about things you can't conclude
i'm nearly done with my tp Bonus fusetto +2
 Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu 2011-07-26 12:53:50
Link | Quote | Reply

woo welcome to the cool club, where we dish out gigantic dark skillchains and not give a ***
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-07-26 12:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

i don't like you talking in such absolutes such as "we" and "give"
 Remora.Dodu
Server: Remora
user: Tsuko
By Remora.Dodu 2011-07-26 13:00:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Protip: Acting like a toddler doesn't make me feel any more wrong about my position. Very much the opposite, in fact.

Its not "BS" to remind those giving inconclusive advice to treat it as inconclusive, and I'm not the least bit deterred from doing so by spectators resorting to lashing out immaturely.
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-07-26 13:04:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Just FYI, I posted useful comparative information!
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-07-26 13:04:47
Link | Quote | Reply

oh i'm not trying to make you feel wrong. i'm making fun of your bad attitude and arrogance.
 Remora.Dodu
Server: Remora
user: Tsuko
By Remora.Dodu 2011-07-26 13:11:09
Link | Quote | Reply

The only one of the three with no interest in personal attacks, and I'm the one with the bad attitude? You'll have to explain that to me some time.
 Asura.Eeek
Server: Asura
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2011-07-26 13:11:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said:
Asura.Eeek said:
In short, is it worth giving up the boost in TP phase damage from STR Kila +2 in favor of a TP Bonus Fusetto +2? I'm just not sure that I'll be able to make consistent use of the Fusetto's bonus.

Although I have the feeling I should just make it anyways for other purposes...

I think for a Daka +2, the STR Kila would be best. TP Bonus Fusetto +2 is a ~25% boost in Rudra's damage, but it gives you much worse DPS (especially outside Abyssea) than STR Kila +2. No 25 Attack. No 2 fSTR.

However, the increase in Rudra's damage makes Rudra's about equal to or better than Evisceration on most things (in my experience). Because Rudra's is equal to Evisceration, I can benefit from the ODD of Twashtar. Including that in the considerations, which is better? I'm still not sure.

Thanks for your comments. And that goes for everyone, not just Byrth.

It does seem that I need to start work on that Fusetto. My gimpyrean dagger doesn't enjoy the same ODD as Twashtar, so I'd imagine that's the deal-breaker that pushes STR Kila +2 past Fusetto +2. It's still a solid utility dagger, though, and good for AE cleaving (which I do on occasion) and brewing on THF.
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-07-26 13:30:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The Fusetto +2 trials (any of them really) are also not too terrible when compared to something like a DA Parazonium +2 or Twashtar. It's just spamming WS, you can do it during downtime or while randomly killing stuff for other things.

It does require some effort, but still, even if it's only a "utility dagger," and even if it took some god awful horrendous effort to obtain, it wouldn't be the first time that even a marginally useful utility item in FFXI required putting forth a significant effort.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-07-26 13:35:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Asymptotic said:
The Fusetto +2 trials (any of them really) are also not too terrible when compared to something like a DA Parazonium +2 or Twashtar. It's just spamming WS, you can do it during downtime or while randomly killing stuff for other things.

It does require some effort, but still, even if it's only a "utility dagger," and even if it took some god awful horrendous effort to obtain, it wouldn't be the first time that even a marginally useful utility item in FFXI required putting forth a significant effort.

/sigh... *looks at his ridill* stupid aery...
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2011-07-26 13:38:22
Link | Quote | Reply

If it's not your main, then the Yagathan daggers are really good if you get the right ones. Plus, you can sell the bad ones you get to an NPC for like 7k.

Try to aim for the high damage ones. The crit dmg ones are nice, but a DMG+8 and DMG+7 one seem to outparse Crit dmg+5% and+6%, from my testing.

I use Phurba and offhand Yagathan with DMG+7 and crit+4 for soloing when I don't need evasion, though I'm sure there are better options out there.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-07-26 13:42:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Asymptotic said:

Of the daggers I've done, TP Bonus Fusetto was definitely one of the easiest. I'd rate them:
Twashtar (90) > OA2-4 > STP Fusetto +2 > DEX Kila +2 > Fire Kila +2 > TP Bonus Fusetto +2 > AGI Kila +2

TP Bonus Fusetto +2 took me something like 8-10 hours of effort with no time constraints of any kind and with very forgiving monster requirements. AGI Kila +2 practically makes itself for you with all the wind weather in Bhaflau/Wajoam, but TP Bonus Fusetto is really second easiest in my opinion.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-07-26 13:48:04
Link | Quote | Reply

you thought dex kila was easier than the fire?
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-07-26 13:49:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Hevans said:
you thought dex kila was easier than the fire?

qutrubs are lame
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-07-26 13:53:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Qutrubs and Statues vs. Flans.

I also did most of my DEX Kila on BRD/NIN pre-Abyssea, so that may be coloring my memory of it a little.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-07-26 13:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

thunder weather in dvucca ftw. flans weren't actually that bad for me. i got it done in 2 firesdays in abyssea kon. i did the dex when TotM first came out though.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-07-26 14:00:45
Link | Quote | Reply

When I did it, Thunder weather was still 1/kill
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-07-26 14:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Twashtar aftermath is so incredibly sexy.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-07-26 14:05:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said:
When I did it, Thunder weather was still 1/kill

ouch... i started on it during that time and finished it after the change. i think qutrubs in abyssea might of been easier/faster than waiting on weather all the time. i just didn't know much about abyssea when it first came out. i still remember soloing khalamari with no atmas and when i finally had a lunar the only atma i had was the samba duration + one lol.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-07-27 04:42:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said:
Qutrubs and Statues vs. Flans.

I also did most of my DEX Kila on BRD/NIN pre-Abyssea, so that may be coloring my memory of it a little.
Tore up flans in highlands. Knocked out well over 125 in one run with some peeps in a shout, had like 4 people of different jobs.
Phoenix.Dabackpack said:
If it's not your main, then the Yagathan daggers are really good if you get the right ones. Plus, you can sell the bad ones you get to an NPC for like 7k.

Try to aim for the high damage ones. The crit dmg ones are nice, but a DMG+8 and DMG+7 one seem to outparse Crit dmg+5% and+6%, from my testing.

I use Phurba and offhand Yagathan with DMG+7 and crit+4 for soloing when I don't need evasion, though I'm sure there are better options out there.
Why not get +8 DMG and crit hit damage?
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-07-27 04:45:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said:
Remora.Dodu said:
What in the world are you talking about? You said that, in the absence of a healer, Trance could be/is necessary. That means that restore chests and revitalizers are needed. In what way does that make it as reliable as other solo cleaving jobs? I even said that it works just fine, but that its unnecessary if you have better options available. Stop getting defensive over nothing.

And if I were referring to either of you when I mentioned speaking in inappropriate absolutes, I probably would have quoted or singled you out.

Well, first off, you didn't read the thread I linked. Monsters level up to VT when you cleave them now. Good luck pulling on BLU.

What?
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-07-27 19:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently that thread was wrong, but it did create a bit of a scare yesterday :P
 Cerberus.Nyanoh
Server: Cerberus
user: wolftamer
By Cerberus.Nyanoh 2011-08-09 15:14:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Finished my first Kila. I have 3 Yataghan to decide between for my offhand till I can get Twilight or Phurba or another Kila, etc

Which of these 3 would you offhand with Kila +2 (Evasion)

DMG +8
DMG +5/Crit +4%
DMG +4/Crit +6%

I figure the DMG +8 and no crit is probably out, but would +2 crit be better than 1 dmg?
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-08-09 15:24:59
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're using sanguine scythe, which is most likely especially if you have intentions to use saber dance, you'd probably be better off with the DMG+8
 Cerberus.Nyanoh
By Cerberus.Nyanoh 2011-08-09 16:23:22
Link | Quote | Reply

don't have Sanguine scythe yet, currently using RR/GH/VV
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-08-09 16:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Nyanoh said:
don't have Sanguine scythe yet, currently using RR/GH/VV
Probably the crit +6% then.
 Cerberus.Nyanoh
By Cerberus.Nyanoh 2011-08-09 16:30:11
Link | Quote | Reply

ok, thanks! And SS is on my list of things to do. First DD job on character, so doing lots of catch up.
[+]
 Fenrir.Yuriki
Server: Fenrir
user: Yuriki
By Fenrir.Yuriki 2011-09-04 10:15:13
Link | Quote | Reply

To the OP: it really depends on how much time you're willing to put into your daggers. Since this is not your main job I wouldn't expect you to start an empy, parazonium, or anything of that sort.

The easiest and fastest dags to obtain (that are worth a damn) would be the Yataghan. You can get both your +crit dmg and actual dmg stats pretty high if you try long enough. Also sell the crap weps for 7k to NPC.

If you're willing to put in a little bit of time then the evasion Kila+2 would wonderfully. If you do two at once you can do SOME of the trials at the same time. Also, there is a particular time during the calendar that there is near constant wind weather in Bhaflau Thickets, which is where you should do most of the latter trials. If you go during this time you could finish your Kila+2 very quickly (one of mine I finished in one day).

The Phurba is another great choice, although I find that more evasion so you DON'T have to heal as much > healing more often for higher numbers. Still faster than completing the EVA Kila+2. Get an Apademak pop set and do a /sh. Tell them they can have the empy items if you get the Phurba. The Magoraga Bead Necklace is a great Utsu macro item, too.

Auric Dagger is great if you haven't capped dual wield yet (which your ideal TP set will achieve). The Subtle Blow is also a great bonus, since you'll worry about the mob TPing less.

I wouldn't recommend the Twilight Dagger to anyone, but if you already have one, /shrug.

In the end I'd recommend two EVA Kila+2s if you're willing to put in a little time. The choice is yours, obviously.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-09-04 12:37:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Dual Wield doesn't cap... and Auric wouldn't be a good DD dagger even if it did. It's okay due to our high DW, but there's definitely better options.
 Fenrir.Yuriki
user: Yuriki
By Fenrir.Yuriki 2011-09-05 19:38:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Dual Wield doesn't cap... and Auric wouldn't be a good DD dagger even if it did. It's okay due to our high DW, but there's definitely better options.

? DW doesn't cap? I always thought the cap was 50%?

Edit: I just found out Charis neck is 3% instead of 5%... always thought it was 5% :/ Carry on...