Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dancer » Dancer Dagger Help/Opinions
Dancer Dagger Help/Opinions
 Asura.Eeek
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2011-07-26 09:16:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I have so much gear in my Mog House that I've taken to carrying all my weapons in my Mog Sack. For DNC, I carry:

Daka +2
Twilight Knife
Phurba
STR Kila +2
DEX Kila +2
AGI Kila +2 (x2)
Parazonium +2 OA2-4

Would it be worthwhile to make a TP Bonus Fusetto +2? I normally offhand the STR Kila +2, and it's hard to give up that much STR/Attack on an already attack-starved job. This is also relevant to THF, which usually offhands a Triplus Dagger.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-07-26 09:20:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eeek said:
I have so much gear in my Mog House that I've taken to carrying all my weapons in my Mog Sack. For DNC, I carry:

Daka +2
Twilight Knife
Phurba
STR Kila +2
DEX Kila +2
AGI Kila +2 (x2)
Parazonium +2 OA2-4

Would it be worthwhile to make a TP Bonus Fusetto +2? I normally offhand the STR Kila +2, and it's hard to give up that much STR/Attack on an already attack-starved job. This is also relevant to THF, which usually offhands a Triplus Dagger.
For climactic flourshing your rudra's, yes. Dunno about THF.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-07-26 09:31:01
Link | Quote | Reply

rudra's gets a big boost from tp. if you're going to be using rudra's it'll give the best dmg increase.
 Remora.Dodu
Server: Remora
user: Tsuko
By Remora.Dodu 2011-07-26 09:35:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Best damage increase to Rudra's. Don't speak as if its conclusively the best offhand dagger for anyone using the WS.
 Asura.Eeek
Server: Asura
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2011-07-26 09:46:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Whoops. I should've been more specific. My apologies.

I used to DD/Tank on DNC for my Abyssea group about 6 months ago. Since then, two of the guys leveled NIN. These days, I instead play THF, BLM, or RDM in Abyssean group play. I only really use DNC for solo work, Magian Trials, and farming. I don't fight many mobs with enough HP for the extra Rudra's damage from a TP Bonus Fusetto +2 to matter. Hell, I have to hold back just to keep from constantly scoring Ruby kills with Evisceration.

THF has its own problems with Rudra's - specifically mob spinning and the fact that it often grabs and holds hate for extended periods of time.

In short, is it worth giving up the boost in TP phase damage from STR Kila +2 in favor of a TP Bonus Fusetto +2? I'm just not sure that I'll be able to make consistent use of the Fusetto's bonus.

Although I have the feeling I should just make it anyways for other purposes...
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-07-26 09:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eeek said:

I used to DD/Tank on DNC for my Abyssea group about 6 months ago. Since then, two of the guys leveled NIN. These days, I instead play THF, BLM, or RDM in Abyssean group play. I only really use DNC for solo work, Magian Trials, and farming. I don't fight many mobs with enough HP for the extra Rudra's damage from a TP Bonus Fusetto +2 to matter. Hell, I have to hold back just to keep from constantly scoring Ruby kills with Evisceration.

THF has its own problems with Rudra's - specifically mob spinning and the fact that it often grabs and holds hate for extended periods of time.

In short, is it worth giving up the boost in TP phase damage from STR Kila +2 in favor of a TP Bonus Fusetto +2? I'm just not sure that I'll be able to make consistent use of the Fusetto's bonus.

get both. it depends on what you're doing.
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-07-26 10:52:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Hevans said:
Asura.Eeek said:

get both. it depends on what you're doing.

Don't tell them to potentially waste a large portion of their time unless you're prepared to prove what you're saying.
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-07-26 10:59:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Dodu said:
Best damage increase to Rudra's. Don't speak as if its conclusively the best offhand dagger for anyone using the WS.

It's also great for Aeolian Edge cleaving (and brewing) if you ever end up doing it for some reason.
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-07-26 11:14:47
Link | Quote | Reply

True as that may be, several jobs are dramatically better solo-cleavers than DNC, and neither of them can make use of that weapon. It would likely take less time to level one of them than to create it.

Obviously most jobs are better at brewing than DNC.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-07-26 11:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eeek said:

I think for a Daka +2, the STR Kila would be best. TP Bonus Fusetto +2 is a ~25% boost in Rudra's damage, but it gives you much worse DPS (especially outside Abyssea) than STR Kila +2. No 25 Attack. No 2 fSTR.

However, the increase in Rudra's damage makes Rudra's about equal to or better than Evisceration on most things (in my experience). Because Rudra's is equal to Evisceration, I can benefit from the ODD of Twashtar. Including that in the considerations, which is better? I'm still not sure.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-07-26 11:35:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Dodu said:
True as that may be, several jobs are dramatically better solo-cleavers than DNC, and neither of them can make use of that weapon. It would likely take less time to level one of them than to create it.

Obviously most jobs are better at brewing than DNC.

Completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.
"Which Dagger is best for my offhand?"
"MNK has better DPS."
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-07-26 11:43:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd also argue that he's pretty much wrong about cleaving. DNC/SAM with a proper setup gets a 100 TP and 2 300 TP Aeolian Edges all within 30 seconds while maintaining very high PDT and capped evasion. If you don't have a healer, use Trance and spam Curing Waltz V on yourself. Between restore chests and Revitalizers you can probably lean on your 2-hour for quite a while.

Best part is, this works on damned near anything. As far as less common cleave targets, I've cleaved Gnats, Skeletons, Sandworms (not a good idea), Ghosts, Tonberries, etc.
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-07-26 11:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Except we're no longer talking about standard DNC activities, we're talking about niche activities that most DNC don't optimize for(for good reason).

STP dagger may be a good option, but until anyone can offer anything conclusive, don't definitively say its worth creating.
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-07-26 11:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said:
I'd also argue that he's pretty much wrong about cleaving. DNC/SAM with a proper setup gets a 100 TP and 2 300 TP Aeolian Edges all within 30 seconds while maintaining very high PDT and capped evasion. If you don't have a healer, use Trance and spam Curing Waltz V on yourself. Between restore chests and Revitalizers you can probably lean on your 2-hour for quite a while.

Best part is, this works on damned near anything. As far as less common cleave targets, I've cleaved Gnats, Skeletons, Sandworms (not a good idea), Ghosts, Tonberries, etc.

Which is fine, unless you have some other job available. There's zero reason to cleave on DNC when jobs like RDM and BLU are dramatically more reliable.
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-07-26 11:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Dodu said:
Lakshmi.Byrth said:

Which is fine, unless you have some other job available. There's zero reason to cleave on DNC when jobs like RDM and BLU are dramatically
more reliable.

Option 1.) Do something on a job you already have levelled and geared and enjoy playing
Option 2.) Spend time levelling another job that you may or may not enjoy playing, gearing it properly, learning its ins and outs, to perform a task at a slightly increased efficiency level.

I was simply pointing out an additional advantage to the TP bonus dagger. It's not like it's that much trouble to make, you can do it while you're doing other things (I've done the trials while killing time between NM spawns for Twashtar)

Also, if we're talking about "Obviously better jobs for brewing," the best solo-brewing job is THF, on which you'd be doing Aeolian Edge, and the TP bonus fusetto +2 would be your best bet there, too.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-07-26 11:57:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Good luck pulling on BLU?

DNC can get about 50% PDT and 80% evade rate even against VTs.

Even if the jobs were equal in terms of durability, casting multiple spells on BLU vs. using Aeolian Edge three times in a row is about equal in terms of kill speed. Not that kill speed is a very important part of "how long it takes you to cleave," but just saying.
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-07-26 12:00:47
Link | Quote | Reply

The fact remains that we're talking about niche benefits that probably don't even apply to the OP. As I said, STP dagger may be the best offhand option, but all of the "its the best, use it" nonsense is irritating. Everyone is welcome to offer their opinion, but giving definitive advice based on inconclusive observation is not helpful.

Clearly you're not all doing so, but there's enough of it for me to want to say something.
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-07-26 12:02:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said:
Good luck pulling on BLU?

DNC can get about 50% PDT and 80% evade rate even against VTs.

Even if the jobs were equal in terms of durability, casting multiple spells on BLU vs. using Aeolian Edge three times in a row is about equal in terms of kill speed. Not that kill speed is a very important part of "how long it takes you to cleave," but just saying.

You're still limited by restore chests, and maximizing your odds of getting a restore chest means depreciating the rate at which you see gold. It works, to be sure, but its not nearly as reliable.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-07-26 12:08:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Not nearly as reliable as being unable to pull twice? Better hope you get the items you want off the first pull?

Please go away. You haven't contributed anything and I don't really see anyone claiming absolutes. If you don't like it, you're free to give your opinion instead of insinuating that people are maliciously misleading those that ask for advice.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-07-26 12:11:25
Link | Quote | Reply

all i ever said was that for rudra's damage it's the best dagger. how about you disprove what i said since you have all the answers.

*edit* this isn't something that was just pulled out of nowhere. it's been an ongoing discussion for awhile now and the TP BONUS ( not stp as you keep saying) provides the most for the actual ws.
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-07-26 12:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

What in the world are you talking about? You said that, in the absence of a healer, Trance could be/is necessary. That means that restore chests and revitalizers are needed. In what way does that make it as reliable as other solo cleaving jobs? I even said that it works just fine, but that its unnecessary if you have better options available. Stop getting defensive over nothing.

And if I were referring to either of you when I mentioned speaking in inappropriate absolutes, I probably would have quoted or singled you out.
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-07-26 12:17:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Hevans said:
all i ever said was that for rudra's damage it's the best dagger. how about you disprove what i said since you have all the answers.

*edit* this isn't something that was just pulled out of nowhere. it's been an ongoing discussion for awhile now and the TP BONUS ( not stp as you keep saying) provides the most for the actual ws.

And I clarified that while it may be best for Rudra's damage, it may very well not be the best for total damage, in which case its a complete waste of the OP's time if they're not interested in cleaving on DNC(which they probably aren't).

Edit: STP was a (repeated) mistype.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-07-26 12:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Dodu said:
What in the world are you talking about? You said that, in the absence of a healer, Trance could be/is necessary. That means that restore chests and revitalizers are needed. In what way does that make it as reliable as other solo cleaving jobs? I even said that it works just fine, but that its unnecessary if you have better options available. Stop getting defensive over nothing.

And if I were referring to either of you when I mentioned speaking in inappropriate absolutes, I probably would have quoted or singled you out.

Well, first off, you didn't read the thread I linked. Monsters level up to VT when you cleave them now. Good luck pulling on BLU. RDM can pretty much only pull mandies which is ever so fun but continuously crowded. That's why I said one pull.

Secondly, I don't see anyone in the thread speaking in absolutes. People are listing what they have, giving their opinions, telling what to get. No one is saying something like, "YOU HAVE TO GET A DA+10 PARAZONIUM +2 RIGHT NOW OR YOU'RE GIMP!"
[+]
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-07-26 12:30:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Telling people what to get and telling people what will give them the highest damage increase is in no way different than speaking in absolutes. I very specifically addressed someone who, twice, said that the TP bonus dagger was definitively worth creating, which may not be the case. If you'd like to pretend that I'm yelling at everyone in the thread, be my guest, but I feel like the quoting function makes the person I was speaking to pretty apparent.
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-07-26 12:36:55
Link | Quote | Reply

As for the two daggers in question:

(Considering Twashtar/Fusetto combo, and a standard HQ DNC gearset of capped haste with Casaque+2, Suppanomimi, and Charis Neck for DW -- innate STP+21 from tiara, toeshoes, rajas, and brutal)

I am ignoring Double/Triple attacks, *** sue me.

Store TP Fusetto +2:

Benefits

Shaves 1 attack round off to 100 TP (18 hits from 0 tp, 16 hits after 1 rudra's storm)

Disadvantages
Does not enhance white damage at all
Does not enhance Rudra's Storm damage

TP Bonus +100 Fusetto +2

Benefits

Increases the damage to Rudra's Storm by a significant amount due to the FTP modifier.
Has additional niche uses.

Disadvantages
Does not enhance white damage at all
Requires an additional attack round over STP (20 hits from 0, 18 hits after WS)
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu
By Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu 2011-07-26 12:41:49
Link | Quote | Reply

white damage?
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-07-26 12:42:11
Link | Quote | Reply