So... Is BRD Useless?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Bard » So... Is BRD useless?
So... Is BRD useless?
 Unicorn.Ryuchan
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Ryuchan
By Unicorn.Ryuchan 2011-03-28 23:22:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
I should have probably been more specific..

Discounting MAcc from Atmas and Gear, you're going to have a 90~95% resist rate on practically any song /BRD.

Obviously, adding ~40 levels worth of MAcc (Atmas) is going to help you land, but your nuke potential (not all that important if you're purely there to proc) is going to be much lower than setting Atmas to nuke things and make it hurt.

Going off the 3 highest Atmas listed for MAcc and using the same values as the MAB bonuses give:

Merciless Matriarch: Superior (I'm assuming +50)
Ultimate: Superior (again, I assume +50)
Heavens: Major (I assume +30)

Total of +130 Magic Accuracy, approximately 40 levels worth of Accuracy (giving you approximately a Lv.85 BRD's resist rate). Add onto there: Accuracy from Gear, Accuracy from CHR/CHR boost, Accuracy from Temp Items and it will all help lower your chances of needing ES.

I'll admit, I neglected to think about Gear/Items when I made my original statement, but I've yet to find a BLM/BRD that gears with full blown MAcc Atma (or gear for that matter) for the sake of Threnody's.

Without Atma/Gear/Temps, you're going to be trying to land Threnody with half the skill of a Lv.45 BRD, on Lv.90+ mobs. That would give you a ~5%ish hit rate.

That's like, the most well thought out and intelligent response I've ever gotten from someone. Normally when I tell people I can land threnodies, they try and ***on my parade or something and tell me I'm wrong. :) But yes, normally when I'm BLM/BRD it's strictly for grellow reasons, so I load on the MACC and don't worry about nukes and damage (because if I take hate, I'm as good as dead). I believe my normal BLM/BRD atmas is... Ultimate, Kirin and... I think Minikin just for the general refresh.

As far as an empy harp goes, it depends on how much time you want to devote to it. I'm actually building one right now and I'm almost done with the iron plates, but I do Abyssea with a low man group (just 5~6 of us on any given night) and it isn't our main focus. If it were our main focus, we'd have more than likely finished the first stage by now and been about halfway through the second stage. The first stage is easy to finish, no worries there (I find that the Altepa giant drops 2x plates most often, but the Grauberg giant can be taken down much quicker). The second stage kind of sucks, but only because you need to upgrade your T2 VNM in Abyssea to a T3, and then kill the T3. I've had the best luck with doing Chione/Shiva (T2 in the range) and then Ogopogogogogogobogo/Levi (T3, also in the range, it's area specific), though I've heard the Altepa ones aren't as terrible to kill - it's just that Chione/Shiva drops a decent seal spread for our group, so we do that one the most frequently. The third stage is a real pain in the rear though, and I haven't actually found a decent way to farm the Apademak horns. :\

I've heard mixed reviews about the harp, but I don't know anyone with it personally, so I can't tell you how useful or useless it might be. I'm hoping it'll be worth the time spent on it. :) Regardless, it's fun to work on periodically.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-28 23:26:51
Link | Quote | Reply

BRD is useful, as it always has been. BRD is not *needed* as it always has not been (outside of zergs).
 Quetzalcoatl.Soube
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Soube
By Quetzalcoatl.Soube 2011-03-29 00:27:14
Link | Quote | Reply

BRD is no more or less useful than it's ever been. There are just a lot less bandwagon BRDs around nowadays since other jobs have become relevant again.
 Alexander.Alistrianna
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Alistrianna 2011-04-02 05:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I've killed Pantokrator with my friends a lot in hopes of getting everyone the Zelus tiara. That horn appears to be a guaranteed drop.
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
Server: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2011-04-02 10:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

brd is usefull, cause you need it to trigger !! wooh >_>