So... Is BRD Useless?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Bard » So... Is BRD useless?
So... Is BRD useless?
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-03-28 12:08:49
Link | Quote | Reply

2007: Bard Union releases press release. Bards are sick of being bards. No one wants to be relegated to lolbrd full time.

2009: We're sick of sleeping and sac'ing einherjar and salvage. I'm just going to pretend I don't have brd when people ask my jobs.

2011: Guys? BRD LFP! Guys?????

I'm just kidding btw. I'm not trying to offend anyone.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-03-28 12:14:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Bahamut.Kara said:
Tsuko said:
No, its not useful. Anyone who disagrees is either too strung on bard to come to terms with their inability to fill any crucial role(which is likely, it is the bard forum after all), or simply does things with way too many people(also likely).

Also, lol@ farming seals with NIN and BRD. What's that, two out of twelve available grellow options? And no Treasure Hunter? That sounds productive.

Also, lol@ building a case on being as good a healer as a RDM, which is also an atrocious healer right now.

Wow, are you jealous of our marches or something? Lots of hate coming out of you.

Bard works well as a healer for evasion tanks. Hell it gives a lot more to evasion tanks than WHM or RDM. But hey if you want to completely disregard that and call it useless, thats your opinion. However, your opinion is not a fact so stop acting like it is.
Adding 2x marches (or march/mambo) isn't going to be as effective as Dia3/Slow/Para/Blind + nukes in any duo situation where you can both exploit magical damage and don't need the curing power of WHM. If you need a WHM, then obviously there's no replacement.

I like BRD, but it's a convenience.

I trio with a BLM along and an evasion tank, so the nukes come from the BLM. Also, WHM does not get dia3 but I have dia2 just like a whm, slow NIN/THF gets, elegy says hi (something people forget about), paralyze NIN/THF gets, and blind NIN/THF gets. If your tank doesn't want to put those on, well thats kind of a crappy tank.

I agree, when you need a WHM you need a WHM. I cannot main heal a MNK, at least not my husbands. Cure5, large MP pool and lots of
-enmity make a huge difference. But I'm not talking about MNK or WAR, I was referring to evasion tanks.

Edit: By NIN/THF I mean NIN or THF, I read back and that looked odd.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-28 12:17:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Without replying to everyone individually, let me say thanks to you all.

It was as I assumed, Bard is a job you take to quicken things, but it's no-where near necessary. I can deal with that though.

As another quick questions... I'm completely new to Abyssea, I have all the expansions and I've done very little in there... So assuming I'd just bought them all now, could someone make a list of necessary things to do?

Like Abyssities etc etc

I'm incredibly out of the loop but what should I be going for first?

In terms of gear I have Augurs body already but that's about the only abyssea piece I have.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-28 12:22:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Well before I stopped playing, I was musing levelling SCH and maybe PUP.

But I'll wait until the job tier list is obvious. I'm pretty sure if the next content takes place outside of Abyssea the tier list will change quite a bit.
[+]
 Sylph.Kimble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-03-28 12:23:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, having gone through getting my mule up to speed in abyssea, I started with this.

1) Get the 3 abyssites that lower the time it takes to get stones. One cost like 9k curor, another one is very easy to get from doing fame quests in vunkler and will take no time if you have some gil. The other comes form tonberries which is pretty easy to do

2) After that, I got some of the +3 minutes to stone abyssites. There is a told of 6 of them.

3) Get the HP/MP abyssites.

4) Get base atma that are useful depending on your job. I dont know much about atma for bard but id say at the very least get MM atma.

For lunar abyssite to use atma, get one zone boss clear for one which will be asy to do through shouts and the 2nd one save up your cruor and buy it for a think 120k.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nevill
Server: Bismarck
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-03-28 12:23:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Never been a better time to level a job you wanted to play but didn't want to be bothered lvling.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-28 12:25:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kimble said:
Well, having gone through getting my mule up to speed in abyssea, I started with this.

1) Get the 3 abyssites that lower the time it takes to get stones. One cost like 9k curor, another one is very easy to get from doing fame quests in vunkler and will take no time if you have some gil. The other comes form tonberries which is pretty easy to do

2) After that, I got some of the +3 minutes to stone abyssites. There is a told of 6 of them.

3) Get the HP/MP abyssites.

4) Get base atma that are useful depending on your job. I dont know much about atma for bard but id say at the very least get MM atma.

For lunar abyssite to use atma, get one zone boss clear for one which will be asy to do through shouts and the 2nd one save up your cruor and buy it for a think 120k.

Ah ok cheers. When the server merges I hope to be able to find a group who'll be looking for wins anyways, even though my BRD gear is gimpy, I still know how to play the job pretty effectively which is one of the pros of BRD I guess, gear isn't everything.

Thanks for this :)
[+]
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-03-28 12:27:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Getting clears wont be to hard considering 2 in the first zones are used for popular empy weapons and the other 6 in the other zones people will shout for to get +2 items.

Only one that might be hard to get from shouts is Highlands.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-28 12:27:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nevill said:
Never been a better time to level a job you wanted to play but didn't want to be bothered lvling.

Yeah that's true. I'll probably grind PUP and SCH up so I can play it later on. I always wanted to play WAR too, but i'm not going to look like a bandwagon lol.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-03-28 12:28:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
So assuming I'd just bought them all now, could someone make a list of necessary things to do?

Like Abyssities etc etc

In my opinion, first priority (while you already have stones built up) would be Abyssites of Furtherance (there's 3 of these and they all stack) and Abyssites of Merit (there's 6 of these).

After that, you might want to look into the 3 Abyssites of the Reaper. Followed with, Avarice (x3), Celerity (x3) and Sojourn (x6). Though these ones aren't too important because you shouldn't have that many stone issues if you bought any of them when they first came out.

I recommend taking a nosey through the Abyssite list on Wiki and picking a few others that take your fancy (I only listed the ones that are more useful imo).

While you said you've already got an idea of what Atmas you're after, I'll skip over that.

Keep your eyes open for Caturae shouts and Zone boss shouts, you'll need to kill all 6 Caturae and all 9 Zone bosses to get access to Shinryu.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-03-28 12:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

It was as I assumed, Bard is a job you take to quicken things, but it's no-where near necessary. I can deal with that though.

As another quick questions... I'm completely new to Abyssea, I have all the expansions and I've done very little in there... So assuming I'd just bought them all now, could someone make a list of necessary things to do?

Like Abyssities etc etc

In terms of gear I have Augurs body already but that's about the only abyssea piece I have.

If you are going to go the BRD/WHM path get started on the cure potency staff, it is annoying but worth it. Also, someone mentioned the Serpentes Armor Set which adds 5% cure potency, also nice. Drop rates can be annoying (at least for me).

The AF3 is pretty easy to obtain either by quests (I'm guessing you will have a lot of stones) or NM's.

There are a lot of new instruments out. Most of them rare/ex. I think I carry around 10 instruments right now. Crooner's Cithara gives ballad+1 and is from an easy tier2 NM. This stacks with the AF3 pants which give ballad+1 too.

Also, get your new songs. :) The new carols are very nice with NM's that cast magic (well one type of magic).
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-28 12:29:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kimble said:
Getting clears wont be to hard considering 2 in the first zones are used for popular empy weapons and the other 6 in the other zones people will shout for to get +2 items.

Only one that might be hard to get from shouts is Highlands.

Well I have 4 friends who I know will definitely help me out, I'm just not sure of what to call for or anything, but I'll do some serious wiki diving tonight.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nevill
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-03-28 12:31:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:

Yeah that's true. I'll probably grind PUP and SCH up so I can play it later on. I always wanted to play WAR too, but i'm not going to look like a bandwagon lol.
Meh, screw the bandwagon. I leveled it because I had fun lvling it to 50 as a subjob. If someone wans to call me a bandwagoner, so be it.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-28 12:31:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
So assuming I'd just bought them all now, could someone make a list of necessary things to do?

Like Abyssities etc etc

In my opinion, first priority (while you already have stones built up) would be Abyssites of Furtherance (there's 3 of these and they all stack) and Abyssites of Merit (there's 6 of these).

After that, you might want to look into the 3 Abyssites of the Reaper. Followed with, Avarice (x3), Celerity (x3) and Sojourn (x6). Though these ones aren't too important because you shouldn't have that many stone issues if you bought any of them when they first came out.

I recommend taking a nosey through the Abyssite list on Wiki and picking a few others that take your fancy (I only listed the ones that are more useful imo).

While you said you've already got an idea of what Atmas you're after, I'll skip over that.

Keep your eyes open for Caturae shouts and Zone boss shouts, you'll need to kill all 6 Caturae and all 9 Zone bosses to get access to Shinryu.

Thank you very much, that's a great help :)
[+]
 Bismarck.Lighttaru
user: lighttaru
By Bismarck.Lighttaru 2011-03-28 12:31:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

Like Abyssities etc etc

-work on abyssite like +3min per stone, hp/mp/stat+. for atma it depend if ur only gonna brd fulltime cuz until next update its a pure pain to scroll thru 7 page of atma XD

-af3 feet come from gold chest in attowa, misereaux or vunkler so expect to hunt those for hrs unless ur lucky XD

-since abyssea been release for a while now u will more likely get seal faster since ppl dont need anymore

-u will need bastion pts (attowa, misereaux or vunkler)to buy af3 legs or other few temp item so since u cant have more than 120min try to use all ur time over that in buildin pts. same thing with dominion (altep, grauberg or uleguerand), those pts r use to get af3 body.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-28 12:33:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Like Abyssities etc etc

If you are going to go the BRD/WHM path get started on the cure potency staff, it is annoying but worth it. Also, someone mentioned the Serpentes Armor Set which adds 5% cure potency, also nice. Drop rates can be annoying (at least for me).

The AF3 is pretty easy to obtain either by quests (I'm guessing you will have a lot of stones) or NM's.

There are a lot of new instruments out. Most of the rare/ex. I think I carry around 10 instruments right now. Crooner's Cithara gives ballad+1 and is from an easy tier2 NM. This stacks with the AF3 pants which give ballad+1 too.

Also, get your new songs. :) The new carols are very nice with NM's that cast magic (well one type of magic).

Thank you for this, I'd post my current BRD gear but I'm kinda embarrassed to do so D: It wasn't even that good at 75, but I'm always on top of songs and skill so those shouldn't be an issue.

I know people are normally pretty closed mouth about how to make gil... but is there a quickish way these days? I know gil is pretty useless, but it still has uses and there's still a few things I need that I didn't have at 75.

And i'm absolutely poor, I think I have maybe... 7k.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-28 12:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Lighttaru said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Like Abyssities etc etc

-work on abyssite like +3min per stone, hp/mp/stat+. for atma it depend if ur only gonna brd fulltime cuz until next update its a pure pain to scroll thru 7 page of atma XD

-af3 feet come from gold chest in attowa, misereaux or vunkler so expect to hunt those for hrs unless ur lucky XD

-since abyssea been release for a while now u will more likely get seal faster since ppl dont need anymore

-u will need bastion pts (attowa, misereaux or vunkler)to buy af3 legs or other few temp item so since u cant have more than 120min try to use all ur time over that in buildin pts. same thing with dominion (altep, grauberg or uleguerand), those pts r use to get af3 body.

Thanks ^^ I'm not looking forward to grind AF3, but it should be fun...

***I need to remake all my macros too.
[+]
 Bismarck.Lighttaru
By Bismarck.Lighttaru 2011-03-28 12:34:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Kara said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Like Abyssities etc etc

There are a lot of new instruments out. Most of the rare/ex. I think I carry around 10 instruments right now. Crooner's Cithara gives ballad+1 and is from an easy tier2 NM. This stacks with the AF3 pants which give ballad+1 too.

Thank you for this, I'd post my current BRD gear but I'm kinda embarrassed to do so D: It wasn't even that good at 75, but I'm always on top of songs and skill so those shouldn't be an issue.

I know people are normally pretty closed mouth about how to make gil... but is there a quickish way these days? I know gil is pretty useless, but it still has uses and there's still a few things I need that I didn't have at 75.

brd can play there job naked so nothing to b afraid of :P
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-03-28 12:35:28
Link | Quote | Reply

If you exp a lot in abyssea and need gil, you can just buy the armor from the first 3 zones and NPC it. Also, if you just clear enough space and get items from gold chests, can make a decent amount of gil just NPCing those and NPCing aguemtned items that come from chests.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-03-28 12:35:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Money items drop from gold caskets in Abyssea. They are not worth much these days but enough to bump you up. Also, NM pop items from the newer zones usually sell for a decent amount (Tiger King Hide) but you can only carry one on you at a time.

All the songs drop from the gold caskets too. Or if you get some gil they aren't really that expensive now. (I would say under 5k on my server).
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-03-28 12:36:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kimble said:
If you exp a lot in abyssea and need gil, you can just buy the armor from the first 3 zones and NPC it. Also, if you just clear enough space and get items from gold chests, can make a decent amount of gil just NPCing those and NPCing aguemtned items that come from chests.

Ah I forgot about that!
 Sylph.Hitetsu
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-03-28 12:38:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

A lot of people would say to buy gear with Cruor and NPC it, I personally wouldn't recommend that because you'll need Cruor later on if you plan to brew much on BRD.

When you start doing Dominion Ops PT's (like FOV but sexier), you can NPC the weapons from there for good money.

When you complete a Dominion Op, you'll gain EXP, Cruor and Dominion Notes (10% of the EXP gained). As far as I know, Dominion Notes only purpose atm is to buy Augmented Weapons from Dominion Tactician NPC's.

Each one costs 2,500 Dominion Notes and NPC's for ~6-7k each. Personally I was trying to get a good dagger for my THF and NPC'd 12 daggers at 6,875 each (not bad for solo EXP'ing for a couple hours to leech my NIN up!)

EDIT: I forgot about Gold Chests too, those can sometimes have decent NPC'ables in.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-03-28 12:40:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

Is it worth making the empyrean harp?
Worth is up to you.
But it has to be the longest/hardest emph to make. Yeah the shield has the same first 2 items, but at least its last stage is a wyrm.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-03-28 12:40:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Can buy some temp items and the af3 bodies with dominion notes but thats about it.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Lighttaru
By Bismarck.Lighttaru 2011-03-28 12:55:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Dark Rings NPC for 33k each.

indeed konchat is one of the best zone to farm in old area
 Asura.Sandolphon
Server: Asura
By Asura.Sandolphon 2011-03-28 13:09:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Only if you come back and switch servers to Asura.