Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 22620 22621 22622 ... 22635 22636 22637
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-11 11:59:46
Link | Quote | Reply

If you push out all the competing retailers, you can then increase the markup on the product you're retailing.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-06-11 12:01:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
As soon as they increase the price to the point that physical store can compete they'll come back easily
If the physical store is walmart, yes, they can always compete. They price fix with amazon, because both are gigantic companies. Thus, the price floor is set by multiple trillion dollar megacorporations. If physical store is your local neighborhood owned shop, walmart is using the same tactics to chase them out. Most competition is an illusion, it's just a couple colossal conglomerates coordinating to fix prices and chase out anyone else who dares to undercut.

This is a silly thing to do for Amazon because they are not diapers manufacturer
Amazon is a diaper manufacturer. They had their own brand of in-house diapers during this debacle, and now they own the manufacturer behind diapers.com.

A key part of their business model is both creating their own manufacturing pipeline to imitate products based on the margins seen on their marketplace, as well as acquiring manufacturers under their own label (using hostile tactics such as against diapers.com).

What benefit do they have by killing another manufacturer who makes products that Amazon can sell for more profit?
They didn't kill them, they reduced their profitability until they were forced to sell. Then, they acquired the manufacturer, and now they get both the storefront profit and the manufacturing profit.

On side note, think I've typed diapers more times today than I have in my entire life prior. There are so many other examples of this with amazon, why diapers?!
By Afania 2024-06-11 12:14:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Amazon is a diaper manufacturer. They had their own brand of in-house diapers during this debacle, and now they own the manufacturer behind diapers.com.

Yeah, I was just wondering if Amazon really made diapers when I typed that. After some google search it turns out that some brands in NA was made by Amazon. New things learned I guess.

That being said, I still would not call it monopoly atm. I don't think they currently dominate all the market even though they have an advantage for retail.

Windows OS is what I would call monopoly, lol. It is currently really impossible to enter OS market on PC. By comparison people can still enter diaper market and compete decently.
By Afania 2024-06-11 12:53:17
Link | Quote | Reply

If the physical store is walmart, yes, they can always compete. They price fix with amazon, because both are gigantic companies.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/534123/e-commerce-share-of-retail-sales-worldwide/

I think people gives e-commerce mega Corp too much credit in retail business.....

E-commerce only has 20% of market share in the whole world. (In my country e-commerce market is only 10%, since local stores still have massive advantage over e-commerce.)

So even if Amazon killed all other e-commerce company in the world, and branch their business to every corner on the planet, they have 20% of retail market share at best.

I'll worry about Amazon monopoly and counter measures when they got 65%-75%+ of market share in whole retail business. Too many things to worry about in life, doom and gloom all day about things that are far from happening is not healthy.
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2024-06-11 12:55:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I find the whole theorical example of diaper
the example is not theoretical, it happened in practice. diapers.com was not a fictional business it was a real business.

Amazon aren't diaper manufacturer. They are retail platform. They don't have monopoly on diapers because they don't make them. Diaper manufacturer can choose whatever storefront to sell their stuff that sold best.
Amazon is a manufacture, the Amazon Basics brand leverages the distilled wisdom they gained form being a retail marketplace. They have the information necessary to define if they can reasonably enter a market and capture the sales. And more specifically they are a diaper manufacture they own Mama Bear a diaper brand under the Amazon Brand umbrella.

Making the argument that they are not a manufacture would be like if I responded to your marketplace claim with that Amazon is an Online book seller, after all that is where they started but the have grown beyond that.

There are so many other examples of this with amazon, why diapers?!
I am "new" mom, been almost 2 years now. The story is ingrained mind now
[+]
By Afania 2024-06-11 13:01:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niflheim said: »
the example is not theoretical, it happened in practice. diapers.com was not a fictional business it was a real business.

What I meant is that diapers.com dying does not equal to all other retail stores dying. The latter is what people try to imply here. To me it is jumping several steps into a conclusion. (Diaper.com died, so all other retail will die too)

Like I said from data above, e-commerce industry in the whole world has 20% of market share. Amazon has about 37.6% of e-commerce market share in the US.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/274255/market-share-of-the-leading-retailers-in-us-e-commerce/

It is not monopoly and the situation of "having to buy everything on Amazon only" isn't going to come in the near future according to current market share data. I don't buy diaper online personally. It is too much doom and gloom if you always think of the worst case scenario from one thing.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-06-11 13:06:38
Link | Quote | Reply

My point was more-or-less what Afania is saying, Amazon isn't cornering the market or obtaining a monopoly on any product.

I think the point about giant corporations stifling innovation by buying it out/outpricing it is definitely a good one, hadn't considered that angle and I'm not a fan of that.

I just don't agree with the characterization that Amazon is the only place you can buy XYZ and there's no competition with them. There's a ton of competition, both from other online retailers and also from physical stores. Maybe they're engaging in cartel activities to drive up the price of pet leashes, loofas, and diapers, I don't have the first clue, but that's different to the monopoly being invoked.
[+]
By Afania 2024-06-11 13:10:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, e-commerce is certainly not THAT popular in my country. 90% of purchase still happen in physical stores here. I don't see a reason to buy diapers online and wait for days to ship if buying them at local store near my house took me 5-15 min. I can even finish my lunch while buying them too.

For me it is very very hard to imagine how the life is like if diapers aren't available anywhere except Amazon LOL. Sounds like some sci-fi dystopian story.
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2024-06-11 13:15:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, e-commerce is certainly not THAT popular in my country. 90% of purchase still happen in physical stores here. I don't see a reason to buy diapers online and wait for days to ship if I buying them at local store near my house took me 5-15 min. I can even finish my lunch while buying them too.

For me it is very very hard to imagine how the life is like if diapers aren't available anywhere except Amazon LOL. Sounds like some sci-fi dystopian story.

If I bought a box of size 6 huggies they would be at my house between 2-6pm today(if I place the order in the next hour). It is very different if you live in the US in a major region.

This means I can click a button and not have to "go out of my way" to pick up diapers. It is all about the convivence. if your convivence store is more convenient you will go to it, if the online retail is more convenient you will use them.
By Afania 2024-06-11 13:32:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niflheim said: »
Yeah, e-commerce is certainly not THAT popular in my country. 90% of purchase still happen in physical stores here. I don't see a reason to buy diapers online and wait for days to ship if I buying them at local store near my house took me 5-15 min. I can even finish my lunch while buying them too.

If I bought a box of size 6 huggies they would be at my house between 2-6pm today(if I place the order in the next hour). It is very different if you live in the US in a major region.

This means I can click a button and not have to "go out of my way" to pick up diapers. It is all about the convivence. if your convivence store is more convenient you will go to it, if the online retail is more convenient you will use them.

Yeah, I think e-commerce industry in the US is a bit more advanced than other countries, since it is where e-commerce industry started.

But the competition is also huge. Despite Amazon is the clear winner in the US it doesn't even break 40% market share.

I don't think monopoly in this industry is that easy.
By RadialArcana 2024-06-11 13:46:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Developers have claimed that Microsoft’s Game Pass subscription service has caused a behavioral shift that has led to very few sales on Xbox.

Skill Up associate Edmond Tran recently had the opportunity to interview a series of anonymous game developers, and the overall takeaway regarding Xbox was that Game Pass has resulted in a behavioral shift that has led to very few sales on the platform.

The general sentiment among developers is that the existence of Xbox Game Pass has created a vicious cycle. One such developer released an award-winning title on Xbox more than two years ago after initially releasing on other platforms. They mentioned that their game’s sales on Xbox have been the weakest. “It’s a bit like trying to sell a DVD to someone who uses Netflix. Sure, people still do that from time to time but you’re not targeting the right audience”, they said.

As for the challenges involved in porting to Xbox and its financially worth, another developer with a small team working on an indie title said that the difficulty of releasing games for Xbox consoles is low on the list of reasons not to consider the platform. They added that this is especially true in a world where the Switch or Steam Deck is the optimization target.

Meanwhile, one developer pointed towards the large number of Xbox configurations to tackle, namely Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S and Windows PC. According to them, it isn’t healthy for small indie game developers to port to five different hardware platforms.

Microsoft are losing tons of money on Gamepass, but long term they gonna make out like bandits once they change how gamers think about getting games.

They want to be Netflix of games, selling you a service. They are even bringing CoD out day one on Gamepass, that will lose them hundreds of millions and reduce sales on ps5. They said they would not use their new position of dominance by buying Activision to stop CoD coming out to Ps5, they are giving it away on Gamepass and selling it on ps5 for $70. So they are effectively doing what they said they would not, in an underhanded way.

They aren't doing these things to be nice to their customers, long term the customers are going to get a much worse deal.
By RadialArcana 2024-06-11 13:49:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Microsoft also got mad that Bethesda said they were planning to not bring out Starfield for Xbox because it was weak and had inferior sales, and that lead to them immediately buying the entire company out.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-11 14:12:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Amazon having 37.6% and Walmart being second with 6.4% implies they are an absolute juggernaut in that game. If the other 9 listed companies combined their market share, the combined 22.4% would still fall VERY short of Amazon's 37.6%. With Kroger being the lowest listed at 1.3%, that means that at absolute unrealistic minimum of every lower companies market share also being 1.3%, there are another 31 companies not listed there.
By Afania 2024-06-11 14:19:45
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
They aren't doing these things to be nice to their customers, long term the customers are going to get a much worse deal

Idk how bad of a deal can be even if it is "worse deal" tbh.

Back in 1990 a Sega Genesis or snes cart can cost anywhere from $30-50. Even seen a few $70-$90 games.

These days I can easily get a game for $5-$10 during sale.

In the absolute worst case I go back and play those $5-$10 games.

That being said, I prefer to cycle through games quickly instead of spending dozens of hours finishing a game and sub service or f2p model is perfect for this need.

Even if they increase game pass price by 3 times it is still net gain v.s paying one time fee for me.

If they increase price by 10 times then I just go back to paying $5-$10 one time fee during sales.

No matter what games are wayyyyy cheaper than 1990s, not even comparable.

It is kinda mind blowing that people have negative pov on game prices in 2024 lol. Some people are trying way too hard to be negative.
By Afania 2024-06-11 14:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Amazon having 37.6% and Walmart being second with 6.4% implies they are an absolute juggernaut in that game. If the other 9 listed companies combined their market share, the combined 22.4% would still fall VERY short of Amazon's 37.6%. With Kroger being the lowest listed at 1.3%, that means that at absolute unrealistic minimum of every lower companies market share also being 1.3%, there are another 31 companies not listed there.

Amazon is the winner in the industry =/= Amazon accomplished monopoly. Those are two different concept.

Monopoly means certain product or service has unique advantage that can't be used by the competitor. To the point that even if they increase price the customers still need to use their service .

If Amazon increase their price by 30% today would you still buy on Amazon? Or would you buy from a different store instead? If the answer is no then this is not monopoly.

Monopoly also generally leads to much larger market share. For example windows OS has over 70% market share. Getting only 37% market share is nothing special by comparison.

Also keep in mind 37% is e-commerce market share, not all retail market share. Add retail market share you'd see Amazon market share is even smaller.
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2024-06-11 14:33:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Also keep in mind 37% is e-commerce market share, not all retail market share. Add retail market share you'd see Amazon market share is even smaller.
I am also sure they have a smaller market share of antique native American pottery compared to a some random single location specialty store.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-11 14:50:52
Link | Quote | Reply

If Amazon increase their price by 30% today would you still buy on Amazon? Or would you buy from a different store instead? If the answer is no then this is not monopoly.
The only time I shop on Amazon is if I need something that I absolutely can not find locally (or when covid made shopping locally illegal)

Heres my purchase history by date:
March 10, 2023
December 12, 2021
September 15, 2021
November 29, 2020
November 27, 2020
October 25, 2020

When you think ordering online, the first thing most people associate that to is Amazon. The same way plenty of people ask for a kleenex instead of a tissue, the same way plenty of people use a q-tip instead of a cotton swab, etc.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-06-11 14:52:50
Link | Quote | Reply

The only time I shop on Amazon is if I need something that I absolutely can not find locally (or when covid made shopping locally illegal)

Heres my purchase history by date:
March 10, 2023
December 12, 2021
September 15, 2021
November 29, 2020
November 27, 2020
October 25, 2020
Really the same here, although I have Prime for Prime video...
[+]
By Afania 2024-06-11 15:32:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Same. I just don't like the idea of purchasing something that I don't see. Especially with a few bad experience with Amazon that shipped me damaged products that wasted my time on returns. to me the idea of purchasing something online is far more risky than purchasing something from a physical store.

In other words, we can live without e-commerce just fine. Hence they don't have irreplaceable advantage against other retails.

I am not saying the day of being impossible to find a diaper from all the physical store near your house will never come in the future. But that day is so far away from happening, it is not worth the braincell to worry about such problem imo.

(Unless you're kind of people just wanting more doom and gloom in your mind for the sake of it)
By Pantafernando 2024-06-11 17:02:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Its almost disrespectful when is being asked to the participants to present themselves, then they start going on for 10 minutes just talking about their life and experiences.

In the end, a class that was supposed to have 7h, wasted 3h of it only hearing whatever those guys wanted to talk
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-06-11 17:23:42
Link | Quote | Reply

https://captown.capcom.com/en/super_elections/1

Comcast vote results

Strong DMC love. Not good enough to carry 16, but now it makes (more) sense.

Surprising amount of Dino Crisis. Most wanted new game out of all capcom games. Interesting.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2024-06-11 18:36:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I still would not call it monopoly atm. I don't think they currently dominate all the market even though they have an advantage for retail.
By strict definition they are not a monopoly. Mono = 1.

The ability to set the price floor is a monopoly power.

There are about 3 federal agencies that have the abilities to do something about monopolies and monopolistic practices. They hardly ever do. I think breaking up ma Bell was the last time the feds broke a monopoly up.

Bismarck.Josiahflaming
Server: Bismarck
user: Josiahafk
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2024-06-11 18:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Josiahafk 2024-06-11 18:38:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Manitoba is probably in some kind of power saving mode cause of the heat, provincal wide ban on interwebs shitpostingp.
manitoba is 97% renewable hydro electric power sourced so they are pretty immune to most power shortage and fossil fuel woes lol
By RadialArcana 2024-06-11 18:45:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Comcast vote results
By RadialArcana 2024-06-11 18:53:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Investors pushing bs prob so mad reading that.

82% men (surely a typo, the internet told me women are 50% of gamers)

Surprised DMC5 won, thought monster hunter or RE

Dante was cringe, Vergil was better.

Male characters dominating fav character lists, women also prefer male characters.

What do you look for in capcom games:

1.Exhilirating gameplay
2.attractive characters (oh nono, won't someone think of the investors that want ugly fat women in games?!
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-06-11 19:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

So much hate. Just curious, are there legitimately one thing in life that you don't hate though?
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
Server: Bismarck
user: Josiahafk
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2024-06-11 19:24:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Havent seen Volk in a long time. welcome back~

he seems to start missing us each year around when school lets out, interesting. I hope 2022 was a good year and not a bad year for ya

[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-06-11 19:48:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Who's ready for spacelesbians!
By Viciouss 2024-06-11 20:43:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
https://captown.capcom.com/en/super_elections/1

Comcast vote results

Strong DMC love. Not good enough to carry 16, but now it makes (more) sense.

Surprising amount of Dino Crisis. Most wanted new game out of all capcom games. Interesting.

Capcom needs to do a better job of advertising their super elections, only 70k Americans responded? 250k total votes isn't even 1% of their player base. Poll results fun to look at, nothing more.
First Page 2 3 ... 22620 22621 22622 ... 22635 22636 22637