#1 - Real Location
#2 - Real Name
#3 - Cold Logic
#4 - Sexual innuendos
#5 - Spaghetti Monsters
#6 - Politricks
#7 - LGBT Questions.
#8 - Online Behavior of a certain sex.
#9 - Diets
#10 - Dark Humor #11 - Telling Josi that anime thing in his avatars only looks good when compressed to avatar size.
#1 - Real Location
#2 - Real Name
#3 - Cold Logic
#4 - Sexual innuendos
#5 - Spaghetti Monsters
#6 - Politricks
#7 - LGBT Questions.
#8 - Online Behavior of a certain sex.
#9 - Diets
#10 - Dark Humor #11 - Telling Josi that anime thing in his avatars only looks good when compressed to avatar size.
I've noticed with myself that I tend to stay away from songs, modern or not. Some are very nice, and I enjoy a few every now and then, but the lyrics of a song are ultimately linear, and can only tell the story the lyrics provide. Sure, they can be open to interpretation, but that is a whole different matter.
I love music, it's so beautiful. In the realm of music, your imagination carries you, and you go on a journey experiencing each note, and where it takes you is different between each person. It's not only what you hear that determines where you go, but your mood, experiences, preferences and tastes, and a dozen of other unique traits we all have that will take us each on a different path with the same piece of music.
To me, music is so much more powerful, inspiring, and emotional. I believe the human voice can enhance music, but to me, we takes the focus away for our own personal gain. The focus is brought to the singer, instead of the dozens of people behind them who are working together to create something that's beautiful, and are almost never recognized for their performance.
Sometimes I wish we had more radio stations that were just about music, and not someone singing to try to get their spotlight. It's so easy to lose your way if you're singing and become noticed, but a team of people playing together to create a piece of music is inspiring. If one person is off it ruins the synergy, but working together, supporting eachother, complimenting each note with another, is so powerful.
Don't get me wrong, there are some very selfless artists out there who write their own music and sing, and I do find a few songs that I enjoy. However, to me, it's still being told to you, and not letting you experience where the music is taking you.
In the earliest of times, our voices were the instruments.
Something I'm wondering about is why public displays of affection are so taboo? What's the harm?
Hugging and greeting one another is fine with me, maybe even if it's a quick kiss from a couple. Even a simple holding hands walking with each other is fine, as long as you're not blocking a hallway or something when people are on a schedule to get somewhere.
It's when the couple starts kissing, flirting, etc, and taking it beyond just greeting, lacking any empathy for those around them. Regardless if you're single, in a relationship, or married, there are people who aren't comfortable being around it. To the couple they're just being romantic and enjoying each other, everyone else you're an eyesore. There are those who are single and can't find someone, who just have their guts wrenched out over it. There are the adults who want to try to control the kids. There are the ex's who see their ex with someone else kissing them in the corner.
I guess I'm just one of those people who think that type of stuff should be kept private between each other.
I've noticed with myself that I tend to stay away from songs, modern or not. Some are very nice, and I enjoy a few every now and then, but the lyrics of a song are ultimately linear, and can only tell the story the lyrics provide. Sure, they can be open to interpretation, but that is a whole different matter.
I love music, it's so beautiful. In the realm of music, your imagination carries you, and you go on a journey experiencing each note, and where it takes you is different between each person. It's not only what you hear that determines where you go, but your mood, experiences, preferences and tastes, and a dozen of other unique traits we all have that will take us each on a different path with the same piece of music.
To me, music is so much more powerful, inspiring, and emotional. I believe the human voice can enhance music, but to me, we takes the focus away for our own personal gain. The focus is brought to the singer, instead of the dozens of people behind them who are working together to create something that's beautiful, and are almost never recognized for their performance.
Sometimes I wish we had more radio stations that were just about music, and not someone singing to try to get their spotlight. It's so easy to lose your way if you're singing and become noticed, but a team of people playing together to create a piece of music is inspiring. If one person is off it ruins the synergy, but working together, supporting eachother, complimenting each note with another, is so powerful.
Don't get me wrong, there are some very selfless artists out there who write their own music and sing, and I do find a few songs that I enjoy. However, to me, it's still being told to you, and not letting you experience where the music is taking you.
I understand what you are saying, in regard to the music industry focusing (primarily for pop stars) on songs and melodies as a vehicle to launch or further careers--or alternatively that lyrics (in the literal sense) can possibly detract from a melody or arrangement--but in and of itself, the singer is simply another 'voice' in an arrangement.
Producers, along with artists, determine what the arrangements are for various songs--whether they include symphonic backing, a simple duet accompaniment (with acoustic guitar or jazz piano, for instance), or electronic insturmentation and effects, or just other back-up vocalists. It is that determination, to me, that gives the "soul" to a song especially when you read the lyrics of a song independently from the music. I really enjoy trying to hear each 'voice' (instrument/player) in a piece, whether a bass-line or a piano riff, to see why the artist/producer decided that would be included...that's also why I like to listen to many covers of songs I like, in order to hear how others interpret the same melody/piece.
So TLDR, I don't think it is necessarily the human voice that detracts from a melody or arrangement insofar as producers determine how important that voice is when the piece is made. If the literal meaning of lyrics gives you a hang-up, try ignoring them perhaps LOL...or listen to music in a language you don't understand or aren't used to hearing (or even syncopated jazzy scat!) so the meaning doesn't distract you. ^_-
Something I'm wondering about is why public displays of affection are so taboo? What's the harm?
Eh, I have a weird perspective on this nowadays...I like PDA (to a degree) because it just feels natural to express how you feel in a moment, regardless of who happens to be around.
That being said, my last ex thought "grabbing @$$" in public was an appropriate PDA display, which I didn't feel at all was 'right' or 'appropriate' while of course she felt completely comfortable LOL...which, I guess goes to show that there are various degrees of sensitivity, and invariably no matter what you do, someone somewhere is going to be uptight/offended/annoyed/distracted by it and you'll end up upsetting that person.
The question is ultimately whether you care about that person's opinion of what you are doing, and of your own (and maybe...possibly, your SO's) opinion of what you are doing. :p
This is a thread that I found on another website I post at. It can be really really interesting. I thought it deserved a place here.
Post your random thoughts for the day here, or anything else that intrigues you.
For starters, is it possible to give constructive critism to someone who doesn't have a neck? I totally just walked by a girl who didn't. Someone isn't getting a necklace for Valentines day!
And who decided black and white can't be colors? I want to say a racist. I really do.