Forum » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Ignore Buttom
Ignore Buttom
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-23 16:47:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
censorship for those who want it, without impacting anyone in the long run.

And really that's the key word: censorship.

After seeing 3 pages of boxes in the LL Thread There's no way in hell that I could see any reason to trust people on here to act intelligently with respect to voting. As a second example check my profile. I have 3 comments there posted by friends, and all are rated down to negative levels. WTF is up with that?

There's too much of a mob mentality that exists when you allow people to vote anonymously. Give me the names of people who voted a comment down someplace and maybe I soften my stance.

I'm against censorship of any form, and I'm all for transparency. If you want to make the forums more like a Democractic Marketplace of Ideas where the best ones rise and the worst perish then banish any creeping notion to censor folks and keep everyone's names right where they are... right next to what they said.
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-23 16:51:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:
I have 3 comments there posted by friends, and all are rated down to negative levels. WTF is up with that?

Brilliant example. I love how the "/wave" comment is -11. The douchebaggery is astounding sometimes...
 Cerberus.Jiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-02-23 16:53:49
Link | Quote | Reply

/ratedown #2 for the use of douchebaggery

:p
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-23 16:55:13
Link | Quote | Reply

It's only an issue if you allow it to be one. That's the bottom line. If you could put somebody on an ignore list, there would be no potential for issues. Other people would block them too if they saw it necessary, until either everyone has them blocked or a moderator decides to remove them.

I can't understand the logic in saying people should put up with it if they don't need to. Would you just stand there in real life if somebody was hurling constant insults at you? No. You'd react, or walk off. Conversations on forums are different because you can simply press a button to make people disappear.

If you want to read what they're saying, good for you. Plenty don't. Having no ignore list harms those who don't want to read these people's posts. Having one wouldn't harm people who want to still read the posts; they'd still be able to. The only people being harmed are those who don't want to read people's nonsense and have to. An ignore list would harm nobody, and resolve a lot of conflicts.

Malekith, please read my posts. I am against a voting system. I'm simply suggesting those who want it should have a feature to make particular people's posts minimised, like comments rated -10 or lower on profiles and items.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-23 16:55:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Jiko said:

/ratedown jiko for rating me down. :D
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-02-23 16:57:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Jiko said:

D'oh! Why you little! :P
 Garuda.Antipika
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-02-23 17:00:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:

I dunno, I kind of like the fact that everyone here knows who said what...keeps people from being astronomical douchebags instead of just your regular run of the mill doucehbags.

Plus, I think anonymous posting would just turn this board into "/ah/"

Anonymity prevents attacks directed at users instead of post content, that's how it's supposed to work in the first place. Everything else should be taken care of by mods that's it. An anonymous board could be as clean as a non anonymous one as long as mods do their work.

What prevents me of being a douche even if I'm not anon ? What ? Nothing. The only limitation I have are my posting rights, which are in the hands of mods and nobody else. That's why I don't see any issue of being able to post anonymously. Most of JP boards are based on this model and works perfectly anyway.

Anon doesn't mean /b/. What turns a board into a junktrollyard are stupid posters, nothing else. Being anon or not has nothing to do with that.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-23 17:00:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Jiko said:
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Jiko said:

D'oh! Why you little! :P

You started it! ^^
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-02-23 17:03:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Xxnumbertwoxx said:

I dunno, I kind of like the fact that everyone here knows who said what...keeps people from being astronomical douchebags instead of just your regular run of the mill doucehbags.

Plus, I think anonymous posting would just turn this board into "/ah/"

Antipika said:
Anon doesn't mean /b/.

Wait.. this isnt /b/?
I mean.. What is this /b/ of which you speak of...?
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-23 17:05:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
It's only an issue if you allow it to be one... If you want to read what they're saying, good for you... An ignore list would harm nobody, and resolve a lot of conflicts.

So take your own advice... on the internet forums the equivalent of walking away is skipping down to the next person in the post chain.

God forbid that there ever was an ignore feature on here because were there one I couldn't be having this conversation with you. God knows I'm not well liked because of some of my posts in other threads. However people can change and just banishing someone because of petty dislikes is just silly.

Now if the ignore feature was personal as in each person had to click on ignore someone then my argument becomes that much harder to maintain. People have free will and can do as they please. However, understand that I am against any form of mob consensus that dictates who can/should be read/ listened to and who not...
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-02-23 17:07:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:

Now if the ignore feature was personal as in each person had to click on ignore someone then my argument becomes that much harder to maintain. People have free will and can do as they please. However, understand that I am against any form of mob consensus that dictates who can/should be read/ listened to and who not...

I've gotta agree with this. /rate up
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-23 17:07:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:
God forbid that there ever was an ignore feature on here because were there one I couldn't be having this conversation with you. God knows I'm not well liked because of some of my posts in other threads. However people can change and just banishing someone because of petty dislikes is just silly.

But that's the point... It's their choice.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-23 17:08:31
Link | Quote | Reply

What being anon wouldn't make people even worst?

If I said something, then I can be dealt with. If I posted anonymously then I have greater license to do as I please without fear of retribution.

If you're going to be intellectually honest put your name next to your words otherwise gtfo and play on KI, Alla, Wiki and wherever else you manage to find a home.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-02-23 17:09:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Jiko said:

Any /b/ on any imgboard. (random board without a set topic where everyone can post everything, usually hardly moderated. non safe work content off course)
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-02-23 17:12:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika said:
Jiko said:

Any /b/ on any imgboard. (random board without a set topic where everyone can post everything, usually hardly moderated. non safe work content off course)

I think you missed the /striked part. rules 1+2.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-23 17:13:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:
If I said something, then I can be dealt with. If I posted anonymously then I have greater license to do as I please without fear of retribution.

That depends entirely on the site's administration. On every forum I've ever run, I've always banned rude anonymous users without hesitation. As you quite rightly said, put your name next to your posts or GTFO.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-23 17:14:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika said:
What prevents me of being a douche even if I'm not anon ? What ? Nothing. The only limitation I have are my posting rights, which are in the hands of mods and nobody else. That's why I don't see any issue of being able to post anonymously. Most of JP boards are based on this model and works perfectly anyway.

Anon doesn't mean /b/. What turns a board into a junktrollyard are stupid posters, nothing else. Being anon or not has nothing to do with that.

Of course nothing prevents any given person from being a douche. However, I think having every post tied to an actual handle is enough to give people pause and not take it to the astronomical douchebag level. Of course there will be exceptions, but really, look at /b/...you can't argue that having anonymous posting doesn't contribute to the types of posts on there. Look at all the racial epithets that get tossed around left and right...I bet you that NO ONE would do that ***if it could be traced back to a unique user.

And besides, the Mods here are pretty hands off, and I like that about this forum. I think we do police ourselves fairly well, but with anonymous posting I think the Mods would have to troll these boards a lot more then now, and I'm not sure that they are in such a hurry to have more ***to do throughout the day.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-23 17:14:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
Malekith said:

But that's the point... It's their choice.

Threw up what you quoted off me and your reply... Just making sure you understood that I'm ADAMANTLY against allowing this if it's a "blanket ignore."

If all was needed was 5 people, you + 4 others to stick me in ignore land on a thread where no one could read anything I'd say or where I'd be prevented from replying. This would be a measure that goes to far.

Personally I'd rather not see this implemented in any form BUT IF IT MUST. Then make it personal to individual users allowing them to do as they please. I trust this last statement is likely something we can agree on.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-23 17:15:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The people worth talking to wouldn't put you on ignore list for no reason. I can think of two people on these forums who I'd put on ignore list. You're certainly not one of them.
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-02-23 17:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
The people worth talking to wouldn't put you on ignore list for no reason. I can think of two people on these forums who I'd put on ignore list. You're certainly not one of them.

Me? Its me isnt it..?

..the silence must mean its me.

/cries in a corner, alone, with an electric razor to his wrist.
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-23 17:18:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Yep, it's you Jiko. You'd be perma-kicked from the threads, damn troll...

Anyway... I'm headed out from work. See ya. =)
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-23 17:19:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Jiko said:
Wooooodum said:

Me? Its me isnt it..?

..the silence must mean its me.

/cries in a corner, alone, with an electric razor to his wrist.

You crack me up ^^
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-23 17:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for that revelation woo.

BUT AGAIN either make it PERSONAL as in each person has to decide whether to put someone on ignore or GTFO with that idea.

Look at my profile and see how those comments are rated down? Look at the LL Thread.

I seriously can't trust the mob mentality of folks on here to get the ratings correct. So to implement an ignore feature that requests multiple anonymous users to come to a consensus decision to impact a 3rd party, that's just asking for abuse. I'd rather not see it brought to life.
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-02-23 17:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
Yep, it's you Jiko. You'd be perma-kicked from the threads, damn troll...

Anyway... I'm headed out from work. See ya. =)

Sweet! Peace out and have fun at work :p
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-02-23 17:27:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
look at /b/...you can't argue that having anonymous posting doesn't contribute to the types of posts on there. Look at all the racial epithets that get tossed around left and right...I bet you that NO ONE would do that ***if it could be traced back to a unique user.

Well I suppose you're thinking about 4chan's /b/, once again issue are users, not the fact that you can post anonymously. 90% of Japanese board are anonymous, and yet people talk about everything in there. Including serious topics. No shitposting, no trolls etc... Only cause the user base is mature enough.

Notice this on the JP part of FFXIah :

User submitted image
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-23 17:35:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika said:
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
look at /b/...you can't argue that having anonymous posting doesn't contribute to the types of posts on there. Look at all the racial epithets that get tossed around left and right...I bet you that NO ONE would do that ***if it could be traced back to a unique user.

Blah blah blah Ribbit

I'd totally add you to my ignore list.
 Fairy.Raikan
user: Squitt
By Fairy.Raikan 2009-02-23 17:53:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Malekith said:
I have 3 comments there posted by friends, and all are rated down to negative levels. WTF is up with that?

Brilliant example. I love how the "/wave" comment is -11. The douchebaggery is astounding sometimes...

This is why I set my comments to hidden. I actually have 3 comments on my page, but only the commenter and myself can see what they've posted. I don't need some wandering idiot to rate down my friends thoughts.

As for an ignore button, or rate down button. You already have these. I stop reading threads that are stupid and if I see a post by somebody who I know to be a total retard it's just an extra 2 seconds at most to scroll the page down to the next poster.

User submitted image
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-02-23 18:57:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika said:
Well I suppose you're thinking about 4chan's /b/, once again issue are users, not the fact that you can post anonymously. 90% of Japanese board are anonymous, and yet people talk about everything in there. Including serious topics. No shitposting, no trolls etc... Only cause the user base is mature enough.

Notice this on the JP part of FFXIah :

User submitted image

Japanese forums on the intarwebz have historically always been anonymous. As such, Japanese users are used to it, and tend to boycott any forum that does not allow Anon. This was a problem for us, as feedback from our Japanese users was critical when designing and debugging the JP side of FFXIAH.com.

We originally intended to give the ability to post anonymously to both the Japanese and English-speaking forums here on FFXIAH.com, but quickly discovered that English-speaking users had an overwhelmingly higher tendency to turn into complete douchebags when given the opportunity, so it's disabled on the English forums and likely to remain that way, as incredibly biased at that may appear. Sorry. =)

(If it means anything, we red-names can still see who posted Anon anyway. So anon-spam at your own peril.)
 Remora.Kindle
Server: Remora
user: Kindle
By Remora.Kindle 2009-02-23 19:01:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:
We originally intended to give the ability to post anonymously to both the Japanese and English-speaking forums here on FFXIAH.com, but quickly discovered that English-speaking users had an overwhelmingly higher tendency to turn into complete douchebags when given the opportunity, so it's disabled on the English forums and likely to remain that way. Sorry. =)

LOL the bold. So your telling me a Statistic said that in those words...
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-23 19:47:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
Malekith, please read my posts. I am against a voting system. I'm simply suggesting those who want it should have a feature to make particular people's posts minimised, like comments rated -10 or lower on profiles and items.

Nice ninja edit... the above quoted wasn't there when I responded earlier...

Anyways, I've read the posts you've authored. If I sound repetitive it's because I want to stay on message. I can see where we agree, but you know how some people are on here. They don't go back and read earlier posts. So they see you or me responding to a single discrete point that the other wrote, and then they pick up on it and then suddenly we're both being quoted out of context.

Still say no ratings period, mob mentality of folks just tends to ruin things.