Ignore Buttom
First Page 2 3
 Remora.Kindle
Server: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Kindle
By Remora.Kindle 2009-02-20 07:52:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ignore button, yes, please. All communication with them, yes,please!
 Remora.Kindle
By Remora.Kindle 2009-02-20 07:56:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Or even! =O
People can vote other people out of a thread.
Like if there spamming or making drama.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-02-20 07:56:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Kindle said:
Ignore button, yes, please. All communication with them, yes,please!

So like a FFXIAH /blist button? O.o That would solve some drama!
 Remora.Kindle
By Remora.Kindle 2009-02-20 07:57:40
Link | Quote | Reply

for real
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-20 08:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I was going to suggest this too. I'm all for it.

Can't imagine who's making you want this feature though Kindle...
 Remora.Kindle
By Remora.Kindle 2009-02-20 08:16:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I know right
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-20 09:09:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Whats a buttom? XD j/k

I'm all for this too, not that I care to use it but would help few ppl.
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-23 15:29:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with this as well. However... It may cause issues with people making points and not being able to see certain posters...

I agree more with the voting someone out of a thread though tbh. Say, they post and the viewers can rate the person's post up or down. When they hit a certain negative number, they can no longer post on the thread.
 Ramuh.Brahmdut
Server: Ramuh
user: brahmdut
By Ramuh.Brahmdut 2009-02-23 15:33:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
I agree with this as well. However... It may cause issues with people making points and not being able to see certain posters...

I agree more with the voting someone out of a thread though tbh. Say, they post and the viewers can rate the person's post up or down. When they hit a certain negative number, they can no longer post on the thread.

if only you did not see the post it will only effect you
or maby like the hide button so it was still there but you would need to manuley open it
 Cerberus.Jiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-02-23 15:33:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:

Dont like that idea. Thats what mods are for.
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-23 15:40:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Jiko I'm with you on this and I can't even believe I'm saying this despite the fact that I have EVERY REASON to be for this...

/sigh

Sorry all, I am totally against any of these ideas being implemented. Part of being an adult is dealing with unpleasantness. If you can vote someone out, or hide someone's posts you're just being a child in a rubber room where you're protected from all harm. I fail to see how that's healthy.

It takes a lot more strength to ignore someone, no matter how aggravating they are. What's more it doesn't help matters. That person will still be an idiot and it'd be a better thing to give such a person as much rope as they needed to hang themselves such that a MOD could ban them for their continued jackass/ douchebaggery.

It all just smacks of censorhip and that is something I can never agree with, no matter what the reason...
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-23 15:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I like the hide option. You can add users to your 'hide' list and then all of their posts are hidden in a forum and you can expand them if you want.

Yeah, but the mods themselves have said they pretty much let us do as we wish and they have very little interaction 'policing' the forums. So, why not let us regulate the threads ourselves with a vote system?

Something like, you can only vote once (like with pics/comments) and when you hit ~-30 or so, you're locked from posting, but can still read the thread.
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-02-23 15:44:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
Yeah, I like the hide option. You can add users to your 'hide' list and then all of their posts are hidden in a forum and you can expand them if you want.

Yeah, but the mods themselves have said they pretty much let us do as we wish and they have very little interaction 'policing' the forums. So, why not let us regulate the threads ourselves with a vote system?

Something like, you can only vote once (like with pics/comments) and when you hit ~-30 or so, you're locked from posting, but can still read the thread.

Because then it becomes a popularity thing. I've seen it happen before.

A more popular poster disagrees with something, then rates down. Others see then do the same. It's not good times.

Edit: The only way this would work is if everybody posted anonymously, so favourtism wouldnt play a factor.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-23 15:45:02
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Jiko said:
Tbest said:

Dont like that idea. Thats what mods are for.

This
 Garuda.Antipika
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-02-23 15:53:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Jiko said:
The only way this would work is if everybody posted anonymously,

Anonymity here would be nice. Well at least giving users the choice without forcing them to log off.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-02-23 15:58:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't it be possible to combine both ideas?

Give everyone the chance to vote on each post, and when you reach a certain number, that post gets automatically hidden?

Maybe add it as an option in the members menu?
"Hide bad posts []"?
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-02-23 16:00:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Hitetsu said:
Wouldn't it be possible to combine both ideas?

Give everyone the chance to vote on each post, and when you reach a certain number, that post gets automatically hidden?

Maybe add it as an option in the members menu?
"Hide bad posts []"?

read:

Quote:
Because then it becomes a popularity thing. I've seen it happen before.

A more popular poster disagrees with something, then rates down. Others see then do the same. It's not good times.

Edit: The only way this would work is if everybody posted anonymously, so favourtism wouldnt play a factor.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-23 16:00:16

As long as the option remained to read it, I suppose having it in the youtube comment style wouldn't be so bad. But we already get enough negative creeps down rating comments and pictures for virtually no reason other than just being a douche. I rather this site remain as neutral as possible.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-23 16:00:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika said:
Jiko said:
The only way this would work is if everybody posted anonymously,

Anonymity here would be nice. Well at least giving users the choice without forcing them to log off.

I dunno, I kind of like the fact that everyone here knows who said what...keeps people from being astronomical douchebags instead of just your regular run of the mill doucehbags.

Plus, I think anonymous posting would just turn this board into "/ah/"
 Cerberus.Quipto
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2009-02-23 16:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:
Jiko I'm with you on this and I can't even believe I'm saying this despite the fact that I have EVERY REASON to be for this...

/sigh

Sorry all, I am totally against any of these ideas being implemented. Part of being an adult is dealing with unpleasantness. If you can vote someone out, or hide someone's posts you're just being a child in a rubber room where you're protected from all harm. I fail to see how that's healthy.

It takes a lot more strength to ignore someone, no matter how aggravating they are. What's more it doesn't help matters. That person will still be an idiot and it'd be a better thing to give such a person as much rope as they needed to hang themselves such that a MOD could ban them for their continued jackass/ douchebaggery.

It all just smacks of censorhip and that is something I can never agree with, no matter what the reason...

wow, this is one of the most intelligent posts ive seen on here in weeks.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-02-23 16:02:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I read that, I read it several times..

But, it gives you the option to read everyones post. You'd have the option to take part in the "how helpful is this post" thing, etc.

You wouldn't be being forced to not read them, in the same sense you wouldn't be forced to read them.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-23 16:08:23

Hitetsu said:
I read that, I read it several times..

But, it gives you the option to read everyones post. You'd have the option to take part in the "how helpful is this post" thing, etc.

You wouldn't be being forced to not read them, in the same sense you wouldn't be forced to read them.

Its concept and general purpose is good, unfortunately nothing prevents others from abusing this other than to bash someone for their own selfish reasons and to simply troll/be a douche.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-23 16:10:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:
If you can vote someone out, or hide someone's posts you're just being a child in a rubber room where you're protected from all harm

There's nothing childish about avoiding confrontation. I'd actually go so far as to say it's a far more grown up thing to do than putting up with it.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-23 16:12:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Jiko said:
Tbest said:

Don't like that idea. That's what mods are for.

This

There is only very few and they even tell you that they aren't on to see everything. Maybe they can get more mods they can trust.
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-02-23 16:16:23
Link | Quote | Reply

If somebody is harassing, go to a mod about it and they'll take care of it.

Adding an ignore feature where you're unable to see their posts, that they posted, or quotes from them (That last one would be a bit difficult to implement, but nice to avoid the want to troll them to hell. I know that goodness all to well.) would be more beneficial then the "vote down" system. Until then, if you dont like somebody posting, just ignore them. It's hard, but bite your tounge, swallow your pride and just ignore it.

..course, this coming from someone permab& from WikiForums for trolling a troll ♥. Gotta love proxies though.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-23 16:26:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:

/sigh

I agree 100%. Boards that enable post ratings always end up with an elite group that downrates unpopular opinions, which gets jumped on and exacerbated by their fanboys. Look at the AB thread...how many of those posts would have been rated down as the two viewpoints war with each other?

Let people say what they will...if people can't even stand seeing a stupid post I really don't know how they cope with their real lives. When it comes to flaming, if it gets to the point where it's that disruptive, I'm sure the Mods will step in.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-23 16:32:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I just compare posting on a forum to discussing something with somebody in real life. If they say something I disagree with, we debate it politely and come to a collect conclusion. If they start getting nasty to me and being rude, raising their voice, et cetera, I stop talking to them.

Why should forums be any different? Rating system is silly, I agree, but being able to minimise an obvious ***'s post would be a wonderful tool. Should still be there to read if we want to in my opinion, I like the idea of minimising it like -10 and below comments on profiles. Could just make it so you can add people to a "Hide" list and it automatically minimises their posts. Does no harm to nobody and offers a good censorship for those who want it, without impacting anyone in the long run.
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-23 16:40:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
There's nothing childish about avoiding confrontation. I'd actually go so far as to say it's a far more grown up thing to do than putting up with it.

Avoidance only displaces and in no way solves the problem. If you fence off a troll, they're still a troll and still free to cause problems another way. If you just let a troll be they'll misbehave continue to misbehave bad enough WHERE HOPEFULLY they'll get themselves PB'd from here. God I'd love that w/ respect to certain people on here.

I'm just advocating turning the other cheek, letting them expend themselves, and finishing them off via moderator intervention.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-23 16:40:52
Link | Quote | Reply

If it was used to filter out the "OMG YOU SUXOR" crap then I could kinda agree with it, but I think the potential for abuse is just too damn high. I like the fact that we're all on equal footing here, brilliant posts coexisting side by side with ignorant ones, and both are right there in front of you the same way.
 Cerberus.Quipto
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2009-02-23 16:44:52
Link | Quote | Reply

as much as i agree with Malekith on non-censorship, i will admit i have looked for a rate down button while reading some posts on here, lol.
First Page 2 3