Brd + Teal = ?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Bard » Brd + Teal = ?
Brd + Teal = ?
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2010-08-12 00:00:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Vaness said:
what is fun with brd, its like blm, you dont really need to touch endgame to be a good one.the 2 only engame gear I use is musical earring wich is easy obtainable. choral cuffs +1 wich I farmed item with a friend pld and a friend rdm(really easy drop) and oracle boots is from a znm that can be killed easy with few blm friends(if I remember right)

Nyeh, theres a lot of great gear however obtainable via endgame. Just a few examples being H.body and H.feet for landing debuffs which work very well with Bard's Roundlet, then we have A.body for idle while Sha'ir manteel's mats come from endgame. As said by others, If you aren't in endgame, you can still be a great bard outside endgame. But in order to more effectively perform your job within endgame, you'll be needing to strive towards greater gear.
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2010-08-12 00:13:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Wolfshadow said:
Cerberus.Vaness said:
what is fun with brd, its like blm, you dont really need to touch endgame to be a good one.the 2 only engame gear I use is musical earring wich is easy obtainable. choral cuffs +1 wich I farmed item with a friend pld and a friend rdm(really easy drop) and oracle boots is from a znm that can be killed easy with few blm friends(if I remember right)
Nyeh, theres a lot of great gear however obtainable via endgame. Just a few examples being H.body and H.feet for landing debuffs which work very well with Bard's Roundlet, then we have A.body for idle while Sha'ir manteel's mats come from endgame. As said by others, If you aren't in endgame, you can still be a great bard outside endgame. But in order to more effectively perform your job within endgame, you'll be needing to strive towards greater gear.
I agree with you there, but you still can be good w/o them ;) Those are dreams items x.x
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2010-08-12 00:15:36
Link | Quote | Reply

anyway going nn, let the teal vs brd fight going on w/o me.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2010-08-12 00:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't think it was a fight, but i brought my trident regardless :<

By dannyl 2010-08-12 01:01:19
Link | Quote | Reply

For example, would you use Choral Cuffs or Teal gloves?

Choral for sure.
 Bahamut.Ivve
Server: Bahamut
user: ivve
By Bahamut.Ivve 2010-08-12 01:56:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Depending on what your setup is like, teal body may actually be a pretty decent option for your debuffs. For example, a better combination than ixion cloak/wind torque (13 CHR, 5 Macc, 7 wind skill) is Bard's Roundlet/teal saio/piper's torque (16 CHR, 5 singing skill, 5 wind skill, 4 Macc). It's also a lot less expensive. If Roundlet is out of your reach, I think even a demon helm +1 + saio + piper's (11 CHR, 6 singing skill, 5 wind skill, 4 Macc)is going to work out to give you equal or better performance than ixion cloak/wind torque.

On my server, ixion cloak is ~1m and wind torque is ~450k. Vermillion is 100k, demon hat +1 is 28k, piper's is 600k. The overall cost is less and I highly doubt the gear set posted at the beginning of the thread is getting a low resist rate on mobs outside of perhaps a merit situation. Just speaking from personal experience, the setup mentioned earlier would not have cut it as an HNM debuffing set at 75. Does it at 80? I'm really not sure, but I'm also not sure why you'd want to spend more money on less stats unless you're really hard up for inventory. I'm also pretty sure they'll add some more difficult mobs/situations for us in future add-ons. Not to mention the other gear they might add to make what we have now obsolete... I'd be pretty conservative with my gil at this point.

[+]
 Phoenix.Anniel
Server: Phoenix
user: Anniel
By Phoenix.Anniel 2010-08-12 01:59:02
Link | Quote | Reply

ok som i just read your post and dont have time to read the rest :( tired and sleepy!

But anyway, different songs require different setups.

If you are debuffing, you want chr, skill and magic acc. If you are doing March, you want to Load on skill. If you are doing ballads, minuets, etc, you can gear on song recasting time - like sha ir manteel or yigit body.
For Finale, Id recomend a haste setup on gear.

Elegy set:

Skill / March set:

Id say Teal body is a nice piece since it has chr + magic acc, but the rest not so much. Also, you should try checking out Augur's legs, they don't seem that hard to get.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-08-12 02:37:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Vaness said:
What my research lead me to is this.
1 chr = 0.5 mag acc
1 magic acc = 1 mag acc (lol)
1 wind/sing/string(depending of what you use)= 0.9 mag acc

And from my personal experience,it's right.
Was using something like errant + goliard chapeau for debuff at start and was resisting a bunch.Read about it come to this and switch with Ixion cloak and have np at all since then.

If wind singing and string all had a value of .9 macc then it would be nearly impossible to not cap macc on any mob in the game. My combine skill for elegy is 276 singing and 285 wind that is 561 total skill and by your standards 504.9 macc added to 72+44 Chr which is 58 acc+ based on .5 rate plus 6 macc from gear. So my total magic accuracy for elegy would be 568.9 plus the value of a Terra staff. Given that the total magic accuracy for any other type of spell is not anywhere near that value and yet I can still resist elegy more than 5% shows that this formula is very flawed.
 Ifrit.Kodi
Server: Ifrit
user: Kodii
By Ifrit.Kodi 2010-08-12 03:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

What if you happen you have a Augmented Ring with mnd+1 chr+2 Macc+2? hehe
 Bismarck.Helixx
Server: Bismarck
user: Helixx
By Bismarck.Helixx 2010-08-12 03:16:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Teal is pretty decent unless you want to invest gil and time into BRD, I personally use for debuffs this set:

It offers me
+33 CHR
+5 Macc (3 ring, +2 on grip hence need light / earth grip)
+28 wing skill
+20 singing skill

However Teal Saio does not look to bad. 6 CHR +4 Macc would actually come out ontop the standard +10 CHR bodies. Plut it offers a nice HP MP mix.

What I am corrently aiming for is: (body is a dream, going to stick with 10CHR or teal body)

For all the haters: Remember that at ~120 CHR you reach the currently known cap. No need to go all out in CHR, don't be lazy and sing a CHR song and bang, you are at the cap.

Bahamut.Ivve
By Bahamut.Ivve 2010-08-12 03:22:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It almost looks like Vaness is trying to derive BRD resist formulas from BLM resist formulas, but ours clearly work differently considering the fact that we have 2 skills simultaneously being factored into our spell.
 Cerberus.Dierdren
user: Dierdren
By Cerberus.Dierdren 2010-08-12 03:24:39
Link | Quote | Reply

As a BRD Main this is what I would suggest for a song debuffing set: (Alternatives are in the brackets)

Apollo's/Terra's/Chanter's Staff
Light/Earth Grip
Marduk's Tiara (Bard's Roundlet, Bard's Roundlet +1)
Wind Torque (Pipers Torque)
Singing Earring (Wind Earring)
Musical Earring
Minstrels Coat (Sha'ir Manteel)
Chl. Cuffs+1 (Bard's Cuffs, Bard's Cuffs +1, Choral Cuffs)
Balrahn's Ring (Neread Ring)
Omega Ring (Neread Ring)
Astute Cape
Marching Belt
Choral cannions +1 (Marduk Shalwar)
Oracle's Pigaches (Goliard Clogs)

With this set you get a total of +60 in Skill and +9 with Macc.

With Any combo with this you shouldn't have a problem landing any of the brd debuff songs! I hope this has helped you and have a good day.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ivve
By Bahamut.Ivve 2010-08-12 03:49:26
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my current all-around resist set, which works well for me. I also have 4 merits in singing. (Needed the rest of my merits for other jobs or I would have gone all in!)

This set puts me right @72+55 CHR, 275/275 singing/wind, with +13 Macc. It's by no means perfect, but it gets results. For higher resist situations, I change to Terra's staff. I never really bothered to pick up a piper's torque, because I'm already operating with 120+ CHR, so I didn't think sacrificing the additional 2 skill was going to pay off. Then again, I never really tested it, so I could be wrong.

And yes, if you are debuffing in minstrel's, that's pretty awful.

One AH-able item that is being consistently overlooked is the demon helm +1, though. That in conjunction with piper's torque is almost as good as roundlet + wind. You're just getting that 5 CHR in a different place, with only a 2 skill difference. Not ideal, but not bad for someone just starting out. Please don't gimp it up with a damn opo-opo crown, which I still see sometimes.

Ramuh.Yarly
Server: Ramuh
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2010-08-12 03:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Vaness said:

lol whole teal set as no benefit for brd thats it.I dont even think it has any benefit for any job.Unless you are REALLY UBERLY GIMP.

My way to use teal set? this:

Teal chapeau: BRD (Stoneskin)BLM(Nuke/Stoneskin) RDM(Enfeeb-mind/Stoneskin)

Teal robe: none I love my genie weskit wayyyy more, maybe usefull for rdm nuking but I dont really nuke anyway.

Teal cuffs: RDM (enfeeb-mind)

Teal slops: BRD(debuff) BLM(nuke/enfeeb) RDM (enfeeb)

Teal shoes: none I have mahatma pigaches~

Did your parents ever tell you that you were dropped on your head when you were a child? It explains your blatant retardation.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-08-12 04:01:56
Link | Quote | Reply

ivve you are good at this game if i post my terrible ah bard sets can you tell me what's wrong with them and what i can fix through the laughter
[+]
 Fenrir.Thandar
Server: Fenrir
user: Thandar
By Fenrir.Thandar 2010-08-12 04:18:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The only Teal I use is Legs, for Horde + harp.

I dunno, I always heard it was both 1 M.Acc = 1 skill = 2 CHR.

on ***with high CHR.

If your CHR is > mobs, it was 1 CHR = 1 skill/M.Acc or something.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2010-08-12 04:37:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Yarly said:
Cerberus.Vaness said:

lol whole teal set as no benefit for brd thats it.I dont even think it has any benefit for any job.Unless you are REALLY UBERLY GIMP.

My way to use teal set? this:

Teal chapeau: BRD (Stoneskin)BLM(Nuke/Stoneskin) RDM(Enfeeb-mind/Stoneskin)

Teal robe: none I love my genie weskit wayyyy more, maybe usefull for rdm nuking but I dont really nuke anyway.

Teal cuffs: RDM (enfeeb-mind)

Teal slops: BRD(debuff) BLM(nuke/enfeeb) RDM (enfeeb)

Teal shoes: none I have mahatma pigaches~

Did your parents ever tell you that you were dropped on your head when you were a child? It explains your blatant retardation.

body would be a good nuking piece for rdm, i believe it's a (dirt cheap) sidegrade to genie weskit-- better for lower tier nukes, but worse for higher tier nukes, which blm is getting more of. as mentioned before, good debuffing piece for brd.

hands have equal macc to morrigan's, so they're good for int-based enfeebles as well as landing mnd based enfeebles, although devotee's+1 would be better for potency.

pants are good for nuking and probably brd debuffs, but i would probably use igqira/nashira for enfeebling accuracy. good for int based enfeebles on rdm if no nashira.

shoes are a great cheap alternative to mahatma for mnd, and look nice for brd debuffs if no goliard.

full set is obviously useful for the fast cast.
 Remora.Belius
Server: Remora
user: Belius
By Remora.Belius 2010-08-12 05:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I can get the marduk pants without a problem. Mostly, I'm dealing with an issue of gil. From my culmative understanding, that above set would be fine @ 80 with a combined skill of 500 skill from capped singing and wind.

So the adding it all
500 base skill + 11 singing and + 18 wind.
and around +50 CHR with +4 Macc.

Is that 'okay'?
 Fenrir.Thandar
By Fenrir.Thandar 2010-08-12 05:18:13
Link | Quote | Reply

It would be acceptable.
But, I would defiantly say go for Goliard feet, Singing and Musical earring. Horn +1/Mary's/Cradle horn.

+1 AF hands are pretty easy WAY worth it.

But yeah, it's decent, I've seen worse, also I'm not the best bard ever, idk.
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2010-08-12 06:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Yarly said:
Cerberus.Vaness said:
lol whole teal set as no benefit for brd thats it.I dont even think it has any benefit for any job.Unless you are REALLY UBERLY GIMP. My way to use teal set? this: Teal chapeau: BRD (Stoneskin)BLM(Nuke/Stoneskin) RDM(Enfeeb-mind/Stoneskin) Teal robe: none I love my genie weskit wayyyy more, maybe usefull for rdm nuking but I dont really nuke anyway. Teal cuffs: RDM (enfeeb-mind) Teal slops: BRD(debuff) BLM(nuke/enfeeb) RDM (enfeeb) Teal shoes: none I have mahatma pigaches~
I dropped on my head I was 3 and went to the hospital =(
Its what I think/ im not some game nerds, just giving my point of view, no need to be such an @ss tho
 Shiva.Rajwa
Server: Shiva
user: RajwaChan
By Shiva.Rajwa 2010-08-12 06:15:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Thandar said:
It would be acceptable.
But, I would defiantly say go for Goliard feet, Singing and Musical earring. Horn +1/Mary's/Cradle horn.

Pretty much this. Some other changes I would consider if you are trying to save gil are;

*Delta Earring (Einherjar)
*Omega Ring (Einherjar)
*Balrahn's Ring (Completing TOAU)

If you are really serious about BRD you can also do magian trials working on the earth and light "<elemental> Affinity: Magic Accuracy+4". If my understanding is correct the macc offered on those pieces are superior to HQ staves. If I am wrong then someone please feel free to correct me.

This is my current elegy set and I have no problem landing it on most mobs;

I choose the Racc/Ratt ring from TOAU as I was RNG COR back then. If I could redo my choice I would definitely get a Balrahn's Ring. The angel ring is augmented with HP+12 and enmity-2, so I just use it as a placeholder for now. Obviously there are a couple other things I can upgrade now, but I am focusing my gil and time on some other things. As for lullaby and requiem, its mostly the same but I use an Apollo's Staff and Light Grip instead. I use an Alkalurops and Reign grip for non-earth/light based debuffs, such as some the threnody's.

And for fun, this is my eventual goal for my BRDs elegy set;

If others have opinions on anything I should change, feel free to share as well.

Edit: I should probably also mention I have full Singing and Wind instrument merits.
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2010-08-12 06:27:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Rajwa said:
Fenrir.Thandar said:
It would be acceptable. But, I would defiantly say go for Goliard feet, Singing and Musical earring. Horn +1/Mary's/Cradle horn. +1 AF hands are pretty easy WAY worth it. But yeah, it's decent, I've seen worse, also I'm not the best bard ever, idk.
Pretty much this. Some other changes I would consider if you are trying to save gil are; *Delta Earring (Einherjar) *Omega Ring (Einherjar) *Balrahn's Ring (Completing TOAU) If you are really serious about BRD you can also do magian trials working on the earth and light "<elemental> Affinity: Magic Accuracy+4". If my understanding is correct the macc offered on those pieces are superior to HQ staves. If I am wrong then someone please feel free to correct me. This is my current elegy set and I have no problem landing it on most mobs; I choose the Racc/Ratt ring from TOAU as I was RNG COR back then. If I could redo my choice I would definitely get a Balrahn's Ring. The angel ring is augmented with HP+12 and enmity-2, so I just use it as a placeholder for now. Obviously there are a couple other things I can upgrade now, but I am focusing my gil and time on some other things. As for lullaby and requiem, its mostly the same but I use an Apollo's Staff and Light Grip instead. I use an Alkalurops and Reign grip for non-earth/light based debuffs, such as some the threnody's. And for fun, this is my eventual goal for my BRDs elegy set; If others have opinions on anything I should change, feel free to share as well. Edit: I should probably also mention I have full Singing and Wind instrument merits.
/jealous and /jealous ;p nice elegy set I actually got nothing else to say lol
 Remora.Belius
By Remora.Belius 2010-08-12 06:41:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll +1 when I get the chance, at the minute, I just want to make the job as useful as possible with a bandaid to fix it.

Things like Goli/earings/ToAU earrings will take time. The next step is to loose one of the rings and get the balhrans, I'm two fights away from the end of them missions.

I also will try for a yigit or a manteel. I lvl'd brd to have cool looking gear, dammit.

I'm now considering the full potential of magain, as I have an RDM that'd greatly benefit from them with the new more serious casts we have now.
 Remora.Belius
By Remora.Belius 2010-08-12 06:46:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, the max I can do with Brd merits is 8/8 singing or wind or 4 between each.

I've fully merited enfeeb for RDM goodiness.

Many thanks for people who've answered my questions and offered me guidance in this, I felt really lost at the start on what to do but I think I have a good idea on which direction to take BRD in and deffo a job to pimp out.

By RajwaChan 2010-08-12 06:56:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Belius said:
Also, the max I can do with Brd merits is 8/8 singing or wind or 4 between each.

Honestly, I feel BRD merits should be all or nothing. That is, 8/8 Wind and 8/8 Singing while focusing on maximizing march tiers (aka working on a Ghorn). Since you have 8/8 enfeeble for your RDM I would consider putting rest of your magic merits into elemental. The reason for this is RDM can put out respectable numbers in nukes with proper nuking gear. However that is just my opinion. If you are looking to get into BRD and those extra merits will break a march tier for you then go for it. But maybe wait until new level caps and new gear are out and we know for sure what ending skill levels will be.
 Remora.Belius
By Remora.Belius 2010-08-12 07:11:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you're right, I should wait and see how I feel about BRD. I've only had it for 2 days at 80 and I'm already thinking on how it'll match up against things like Odin and stuff.

I'm trying to get the most out of BRD and I just wish BLMS would tell me what their nuke of choice is. Or a /p line saying what spell they're using so I can try to stick a threno on the mob before it hits.

Sigh. I just think with threnos on, SC and a MB, the dmg would be hilarious.
 Fenrir.Thandar
By Fenrir.Thandar 2010-08-12 07:27:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I left out Shadow Coat, and Omega ring, mainly because Shadow coat, I only have because I am lucky, basically, and I figured he'd have omega if he cared.

Also, if you're using Threnodies, it is very safe to assume Ice or Lightning.

So use one and it will be helpful.

If you merit bard, do 8/8 wind.

Just sayin'.
 Fenrir.Thandar
By Fenrir.Thandar 2010-08-12 07:30:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Rajwa said:
Fenrir.Thandar said:
It would be acceptable.

Pretty much this. Some other changes I would consider if you are trying to save gil are;

*Delta Earring (Einherjar)
*Omega Ring (Einherjar)
*Balrahn's Ring (Completing TOAU)

If you are really serious about BRD you can also do magian trials working on the earth and light "<elemental> Affinity: Magic Accuracy+4". If my understanding is correct the macc offered on those pieces are superior to HQ staves. If I am wrong then someone please feel free to correct me.

This is my current elegy set and I have no problem landing it on most mobs;

I choose the Racc/Ratt ring from TOAU as I was RNG COR back then. If I could redo my choice I would definitely get a Balrahn's Ring. The angel ring is augmented with HP+12 and enmity-2, so I just use it as a placeholder for now. Obviously there are a couple other things I can upgrade now, but I am focusing my gil and time on some other things. As for lullaby and requiem, its mostly the same but I use an Apollo's Staff and Light Grip instead. I use an Alkalurops and Reign grip for non-earth/light based debuffs, such as some the threnody's.

And for fun, this is my eventual goal for my BRDs elegy set;

If others have opinions on anything I should change, feel free to share as well.

Edit: I should probably also mention I have full Singing and Wind instrument merits.

Also, you're right about the Magian staves M.Acc.