Leveling PUP... maybe
First Page 2 3
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-08-05 14:39:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Thinking about taking up PUP as a hobby job. Anyone got any tips, suggestions or just things to know :o?
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-08-05 14:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Go big or get lol'd at.
[+]
 Valefor.Sketchkat
Server: Valefor
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2010-08-05 14:50:52
Link | Quote | Reply

First of all, spend as much money as you can on attachments. Some of them are pricey, but it's worth it.

Second, be prepared to have gear sets for multiple sub jobs and automaton frames.

Third, put the time and effort in to actually learn the job. It's actually a pretty complex job and takes a lot of time to be good at it. We get a bad name cause there are so many half-assed PUPs out there who think they can just stand there and mindlessly swing like a monk.

Finally, remember that you're not the star of the show, the puppet is, just like the avatars are for SMN. If you're willing to put in the effort, it's a really fun job!

EDIT: I didn't mean to sound condescending to monks, I just mean that pup can't do the same kind of raw damage as they can without taking the puppet's damage into account, too.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Ronson
Server: Carbuncle
user: ronson
By Carbuncle.Ronson 2010-08-05 15:03:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sketchkat said:
First of all, spend as much money as you can on attachments. Some of them are pricey, but it's worth it. Second, be prepared to have gear sets for multiple sub jobs. Third, put the time and effort in to actually learn the job. It's actually a pretty complex job and takes a lot of time to be good at it. We get a bad name cause there are so many half-assed PUPs out there who think they can just stand there and mindlessly swing like a monk. Finally, remember that you're not the star of the show, the puppet is, just like the avatars are for SMN. If you're willing to put in the effort, it's a really fun job!

This

nice short info for you there

remember the pup will out dot you out heal you out support you :).

as the person i quoted above said its a complex job but fun,i mean you get cure III at lvl 28 ftw! cure IV at lvl 43 i think and unlimited mp to top it off if used right...your pups refresh makes rdm's cry :) (10-12mp tic..forgot to be honest)
and at lvl 60 your melee pup has 1668hp which is like double a tanks that lvl and to top it off melee pup normaly has linear dot so while others in a party are hitting for random numbers your pup will hit for roughly the same :)

all these little perks make this job a nice little DD/support

and the blm pup is a nice DD at hi lvls plus unlimited nukes :)(nar he aint a real blm but he can hurt *** :)

fun job
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-05 15:08:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Ronson said:
remember the pup will out dot you
True for EXP, not necessarily true at 75/80 depending on gear and buffs.
 Valefor.Sketchkat
Server: Valefor
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2010-08-05 15:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
Thinking about taking up PUP as a hobby job. Anyone got any tips, suggestions or just things to know :o?

Suggest 1: DO NOT LEVEL PUP!

Suggestion 2: Realize PUP is lol

Such a troll...I don't think I've ever seen you add anything worthwhile to any thread.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Ronson
By Carbuncle.Ronson 2010-08-05 15:10:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
Suggest 1: DO NOT LEVEL PUP! Suggestion 2: Realize PUP is lol
ignore this comment as comment's like this put me off pup for years.

when i finaly got in to it i liked it,very fun job
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-05 15:10:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Go big or get lol'd at.
I think this is the best tip here
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Ronson
By Carbuncle.Ronson 2010-08-05 15:11:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Carbuncle.Ronson said:
remember the pup will out dot you
True for EXP, not necessarily true at 75/80 depending on gear and buffs.

totaly agree with you..i was kinda talking about low lvls..my bad
 Asura.Baroma
Server: Asura
user: baroma
By Asura.Baroma 2010-08-05 17:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

My biggest tip is to hyave fun and get attachments early and often. U can equip all at lvl 1. Once u have the top ones, you will not spend another dime on it ujnless of course they release new ones, Loudspeaker III can I have it? Lol
 Cerberus.Harunn
Server: Cerberus
user: Harun677
By Cerberus.Harunn 2010-08-05 17:23:43
Link | Quote | Reply

words of advice hmm,
Pup is a real fun job that is very flexible into all kinds of stuff.

1st, dont give up on pup too easy at the start since u wont get many party invites and the true joy in pup is soloing, i remember i stopped lvling pup at 29 then few months later came back to it and it was just awesome out of being the 7th job to 75 it was the 1st to get to 80.

2nd, as said b4 the little twerp (automaton) is the real star of the show, so dont try to out match it but go with it

3rd, from personal experience i found the best automaton to start with is the whm if u like soloing but the best for parties is the ranged frame and can deal out some real damage.

4th, u will probably get lol'd at from alot of ppl bcus of ignorance but thats bcus they cant be bothered to actually look into the job and see what it really is.

5th, ofcorse getting all the attachements is pretty kool but arnt necessary at the start. Most are cheap now but the best 1s are still expensive and are really worth looking at when u get 70+.

Other then that hope u like pup and GL lvling it ^^

Hope this helped
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2010-08-05 18:40:12
Link | Quote | Reply

just smn burn that pup so u wont waste time looking for pt or soloing
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2010-08-05 18:42:21
Link | Quote | Reply

pup is no lol anymore they are decent jobs now and can dd well with those blm attachments, i learned that by partying with pups for 2 months
 Ramuh.Vinvv
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-05 18:52:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:
lol smn burning, it's 2010 big guy, abyssea kills anything smn burning can do.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2010-08-05 18:54:12
Link | Quote | Reply

smn burning to 12-65>abyssea
i got my sch 12 to 75 in 2 days smn burning dualboxing pulling, without TE failures alliances and crap
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-05 18:55:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:
smn burning to 12-65>abyssea
technically you could just do it to 30, but it really depends how you want to do it.
i think if it was just a job to fool around with I would...fool around with it and take my time and have fun with the job :/
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
Server: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-08-05 18:56:20
Link | Quote | Reply

He said a hobby job. I think he wants to learn the ins and outs and is not in a hurry to level it.

[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-05 18:58:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Spence said:
He said a hobby job. I think he wants to learn the ins and outs and is not in a hurry to level it.

all my jobs are hobby jobs ;3
[+]
 Fairy.Basilo
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-08-05 19:18:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Go big or get lol'd at.
I think this is the best tip here

Why people rating this down its true somewhat not that some ppl care about getting lol'd at, bare in mind if you "go big" youll be the one laughing.

As for me im ***endgame pup, im a ***merit pup my rng auto uncapped 75 nvm 80, but lesser colibri, normal colibri or east ron I perform very well. Im on xbox so no parse info but just an idea cor+brd+pld+rdm+ me as pup and a drg at I8 thickets sync 55 endless chain the 8 pops there I remember with potentially only me a drg as the dd. He was very well geared, eyeballing it I was still beating him.

8/8 h2h merits helped although this was literally just 1 month before they raised pup h2h lvl so it wasnt as high as it could of been now.

As for gear you will want to pawn colibri in particular thats a bit of a challenge to get/ worth mentioning is :

rng frame/scope/turbocharger/many others of course
lava/kusha ring for lesser's
pcc - really does help of course
kabobs - use nq kabobs high sync'd at colibri when your acc is ok or maybe crab if not, i only ever used meat.
cerise doublet/ virtuoso belt/ voyager sallet
combat mitts+1 / attack earrings
AND BIRDBANES!!!!

You get all of this youll kick *** no doubt about it, still wont get invited lolol and youll have a hard time trying to convince people pup is any good but if youre wearing this and u get em to come they be supprised most likely :D

Having said that soon as I hit 75 pup I never used it till lvl increase came out took it to 80, never used it still fun job though...
 Fairy.Basilo
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-08-05 19:27:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:

No! Thats all the fun gone >.>
[+]
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-08-05 19:32:29
Link | Quote | Reply

DO NOT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SMN BURN PUP...you're skills will thank you later....

Also: 1) Get the rng frame first at level 10, so you can actually skill up easily as you get invites...you can always level magic skills as you solo, which you will probably do a decent bit of.

2) Like others have said, try to get at the very least, the basic attachments before you start, since they are cheap @NPC in nashmau...I mean really..what other job has flash, stoneskin, convert, blink, blaze spikes, provoke at level 1? lol

3) Understand that people will hate on you because pup is "lol" but stick it out if you are enjoying the job because its RIDICULOUSLY powerful...I've seen my puppet do dmg, that other players in my party couldn't even try to touch in the mid-late 50's with Comedie was spamming Daze WS on colibri and stunning with 600 dmg per Daze with 100+ (pending fire maneuvers) per bolt...

Good luck with pup, its super fun and I love that I have it at 80
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Ronson
By Carbuncle.Ronson 2010-08-05 20:31:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
DO NOT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SMN BURN PUP...you're skills will thank you later.... Also: 1) Get the rng frame first at level 10, so you can actually skill up easily as you get invites...you can always level magic skills as you solo, which you will probably do a decent bit of. 2) Like others have said, try to get at the very least, the basic attachments before you start, since they are cheap @NPC in nashmau...I mean really..what other job has flash, stoneskin, convert, blink, blaze spikes, provoke at level 1? lol 3) Understand that people will hate on you because pup is "lol" but stick it out if you are enjoying the job because its RIDICULOUSLY powerful...I've seen my puppet do dmg, that other players in my party couldn't even try to touch in the mid-late 50's with Comedie was spamming Daze WS on colibri and stunning with 600 dmg per Daze with 100+ (pending fire maneuvers) per bolt... Good luck with pup, its super fun and I love that I have it at 80

with the right attachement setup if you skill chain off one inch punch and daze you can hit 1200+dmg(player ws excluded) with x3 fire manys up...i persoanly have hit about 700 because i dont have certain attachments but i have witnessed other pups doing 1200+ rng dmg at lvl 55 :)
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-08-05 23:09:43
Link | Quote | Reply

thanks for the tips guys :D! My PUP is LV17 right now and I've bought a vast majority of the attachments accept the really pricy ones >< lol.

So basically, I should focus on gear that helps the Auto and not the Master? So stuff like Usukane and Juogi is useless? How should I prioritize gear like that x.x?
 Ramuh.Laffter
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-08-05 23:14:17
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing about PUP is that it's not difficult to gear well for DD AND gear for the automaton. PUP only ever stands back if the mob is resistant to physical damage. So gear up like you're a misplaced MNK or something.
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-08-05 23:17:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Laffter said:
The thing about PUP is that it's not difficult to gear well for DD AND gear for the automaton. PUP only ever stands back if the mob is resistant to physical damage. So gear up like you're a misplaced MNK or something.

.-. i dunno how MNK gears though..

<-DRG
 Sylph.Bowserx
Server: Sylph
user: Garasu
By Sylph.Bowserx 2010-08-05 23:17:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
if your gonna lv pup and want to be a good DD , dont be cheap buy the attachments and learn how to tweak your automaton do do skillchains and ect
 Ramuh.Laffter
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-08-05 23:18:39
Link | Quote | Reply

xD Gear for DD. Simple. I was unsure until I checked Wiki, which said essentially the same thing. You're just a bit limited in that PUP only wears mage-y gear.
First Page 2 3