Leveling PUP... maybe
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-08-05 23:21:11
Link | Quote | Reply

._. darn it... Well, I guess I won't be striving for that 6-hit anymore :O

Anyways.. :o what subs should I have? I dunno which ones are best to have.
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-08-05 23:23:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I see everybody saying /sch.

If you do get invited into a party, it's the usual melee subs.
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-08-05 23:25:45
Link | Quote | Reply

/DRG SAM WAR NIN :o?
 Bismarck.Ruizutatakau
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Ruizutatakau 2010-08-05 23:25:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Laffter said:
The thing about PUP is that it's not difficult to gear well for DD AND gear for the automaton. PUP only ever stands back if the mob is resistant to physical damage. So gear up like you're a misplaced MNK or something.
Wrong.
Ramuh.Laffter said:
xD Gear for DD. Simple. I was unsure until I checked Wiki, which said essentially the same thing. You're just a bit limited in that PUP only wears mage-y gear.
Wrong.

PUP has great gear for leveling up. You should obtain pieces like Empress Hairpin, Aega's doublet, Battle Gloves, Herder's subligar and such. Attack earrings, DEX and STR rings, Eva back piece. Starting off is alot easier then it was years ago when PUP was introduced. Your H2H skill doesn't suck now and you have good pieces of gear at early lvs now, no need to gear it like a WHM.
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-08-05 23:30:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I think what he meant was PUP uses doublet and such a lot which i guess is kinda mage-y lol.
 Bismarck.Ruizutatakau
By Bismarck.Ruizutatakau 2010-08-05 23:31:46
Link | Quote | Reply

THFs, DNCs, MNKs, NINs, PUPs, DRGs etc use doublets so I disagree.
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-08-05 23:33:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ruizutatakau said:
Ramuh.Laffter said:
The thing about PUP is that it's not difficult to gear well for DD AND gear for the automaton. PUP only ever stands back if the mob is resistant to physical damage. So gear up like you're a misplaced MNK or something.
Wrong.
Ramuh.Laffter said:
xD Gear for DD. Simple. I was unsure until I checked Wiki, which said essentially the same thing. You're just a bit limited in that PUP only wears mage-y gear.
Wrong.

PUP has great gear for leveling up. You should obtain pieces like Empress Hairpin, Aega's doublet, Battle Gloves, Herder's subligar and such. Attack earrings, DEX and STR rings, Eva back piece. Starting off is alot easier then it was years ago when PUP was introduced. Your H2H skill doesn't suck now and you have good pieces of gear at early lvs now, no need to gear it like a WHM.

For sure! My only concern is that I'm like.. not used to using pet increasing gear on DRG unless it's HB macroing. So I don't really know what should be full timed or not :o
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-08-05 23:34:36
Link | Quote | Reply

THFs, DNCs, MNKs, NINs, PUPs, DRGs etc use doublets so I disagree.

I guess but it can't use Chainmail/plate/harness type gear ^^ cept for the few exceptions.
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-08-05 23:36:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, lemme rephrase it.

PUPs don't use anything above cloth gear and the odd "All Jobs" stuff. :/ Which, according to nearly every game known to man, is most usually equipped by mages.

So no. Not wrong.

And also, I would like to point you to the wiki, a valuable source of information, which does indeed have guides for gearing up for DD as PUP. They resemble gearing up MNK, so not wrong there either.

I may not have it leveled, but I don't talk out my ***.

EDIT: Of course, you do need to include the pet-beneficial gears as well, since you're working with a pet.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ruizutatakau
By Bismarck.Ruizutatakau 2010-08-05 23:44:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Laffter said:
Okay, lemme rephrase it.

PUPs don't use anything above cloth gear and the odd "All Jobs" stuff. :/ Which, according to nearly every game known to man, is most usually equipped by mages.

So no. Not wrong.

And also, I would like to point you to the wiki, a valuable source of information, which does indeed have guides for gearing up for DD as PUP. They resemble gearing up MNK, so not wrong there either.

EDIT: Of course, you do need to include the pet-beneficial gears as well, since you're working with a pet.
First we arent talking about every game known to man and we are talking about FFXI and PUP at that, and second there are many games that are associated with mages that dont use cloth gear, and I would like to point you to wiki, a valuable source of information, look up "Reverend Mail". Mages also have their selection to heavy gear. I have PUP80, I know what im talking about and you were wrong, I wasn't being offensive, I just dont want to see another terrible PUP born out of confusion, if you dont want to talk out of your ***, pull your head out of it.
[+]
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-08-05 23:47:13
Link | Quote | Reply

You mention a WHM-specific piece of heavy armor. That totally helps your argument.

For the level he is at currently, he's going to gear for DD since you can't do fancy stuff on PUP yet.
 Bismarck.Cordareo
user: Cordareo
By Bismarck.Cordareo 2010-08-05 23:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Laffter said:

MNK shares a line of gear with SAM and NIN and compared to PUP is significantly different enough to not compare it to MNK. In the end MNK and PUP like all other jobs focus on almost all of the similar stats that any job would. You can compare PUP to THF if you wanted since a lot of the gear they can use is similar while a lot is different, i.e. Scorpion Harness and Antares Harness.

Also as for Subjobs which Glaciont asked about earlier, DRG, WAR and NIN are all viable with all of them having their places. For General PUPpery, /WAR is best for DoT. /DRG gives you acc and attk and 5% haste in ear slot which at the level you can get that is pretty bad A. NIN is mostly for soloing or group situations where you need shadows and that's it.

/SCH is a special situational sub for Sleep Nuking, which requires it's own build. Don't worry about SCH unless you really want to invest into PUP post 80.

Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-08-05 23:51:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I used MNK as it's the closest comparable job to PUP. But yes, I thought it was insinuated that you would gear for melee.

As for /sch, I admit I don't know all that much about it, but the few career PUPs I know swear by it even for soloing.
 Bismarck.Ruizutatakau
By Bismarck.Ruizutatakau 2010-08-05 23:52:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Cordareo said:
Ramuh.Laffter said:

MNK shares a line of gear with SAM and NIN and compared to PUP is significantly different enough to not compare it to MNK. In the end MNK and PUP like all other jobs focus on almost all of the similar stats that any job would. You can compare PUP to THF if you wanted since a lot of the gear they can use is similar while a lot is different, i.e. Scorpion Harness and Antares Harness.

Also as for Subjobs which Glaciont asked about earlier, DRG, WAR and NIN are all viable with all of them having their places. For General PUPpery, /WAR is best for DoT. /DRG gives you acc and attk and 5% haste in ear slot which at the level you can get that is pretty bad A. NIN is mostly for soloing or group situations where you need shadows and that's it.

/SCH is a special situational sub for Sleep Nuking, which requires it's own build. Don't worry about SCH unless you really want to invest into PUP post 80.

^This
 Sylph.Priy
Server: Sylph
user: jarredpoe
By Sylph.Priy 2010-08-06 00:33:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I did /MNK till 25 (When you get your own Martial Arts trait) then I did /DRG till about 50 when you get DBL ATT and Berserk from /WAR, SCH is a really fun solo sub but not much use in pts.
[+]
 Asura.Nehaa
Server: Asura
user: dinendale
By Asura.Nehaa 2010-08-06 01:04:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
Thinking about taking up PUP as a hobby job. Anyone got any tips, suggestions or just things to know :o?

Suggest 1: DO NOT LEVEL PUP!

Suggestion 2: Realize PUP is lol

level what you like and remember people who lol probably have less about them than your automaton :)
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-08-06 01:19:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Ronson said:

with the right attachement setup if you skill chain off backhand blow and daze you can hit 1200+dmg(player ws excluded) with x3 fire manys up...i persoanly have hit about 700 because i dont have certain attachments but i have witnessed other pups doing 1200+ rng dmg at lvl 55 :)

how in god's name can you use Daze with 3x fire maneuver, when fire maneuvers force Arcuballista.....? I'm smelling some BS...

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-06 01:50:14
Link | Quote | Reply

PUP may be a joke, but it's a good one. Enjoy it!
Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
So basically, I should focus on gear that helps the Auto and not the Master? So stuff like Usukane and Juogi is useless? How should I prioritize gear like that x.x?
Most automaton gear should be macrod in and out, not worn for any length of time. The only pieces I can think of off hand that are even situationally justifiable are AF2 body, cape, and Spurrer Beret.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-06 02:00:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah right, haste+3 for you and the auto. Good call.

Post deleted by User.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-08-06 02:24:15
Link | Quote | Reply

new Shaolin Belt isn't bad either..has auto haste+3 and "enhances martial arts"

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Cordareo
user: Cordareo
By Bismarck.Cordareo 2010-08-06 03:28:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Laffter said:
Wrong.
Ramuh.Laffter said:
Wrong.

See, I was about to enjoy a breath of fresh air with you, but then.
Attack earrings, DEX and STR rings, Eva back piece. Starting off is alot easier then it was years ago when PUP was introduced. Your H2H skill doesn't suck now and you have good pieces of gear at early lvs now, no need to gear it like a WHM.

That DEX and STR rings better be you saying rajas. A PUP had a problem with my bazaar saying PUP is a *** joke and then went on to say he had a spinel ring for TPing. Oh, I just enjoy a good laugh.

Eva cape? See, I kick PUPs who do that in a pt. That or tell them to go pull and then kick them. Lower levels before 55 get a pass though since there is a lack of DD capes.
Bismarck.Cordareo said:
Ramuh.Laffter said:

MNK shares a line of gear with SAM and NIN and compared to PUP is significantly different enough to not compare it to MNK. In the end MNK and PUP like all other jobs focus on almost all of the similar stats that any job would.

Yeah! You were doing great, until,
Bismarck.Cordareo said:
You can compare PUP to THF if you wanted since a lot of the gear they can use is similar while a lot is different, i.e. Scorpion Harness and Antares Harness.

What the *** is wrong with all of you!? Cordareo you can not say that about gear for MNK and PUP and then say that about gear for THF and PUP. ***.

So anyways Spicy, Ruiz was implying Rajas and another ring for weaponskilling since we don't get acc rings until later. Also, I'm sure he wasn't meaning to use an EVA cape post BMantle. :) Also, when I said what I did about comparing PUP and THF I was making an example of how you can compare it to other jobs but it still doesn't compare simply because each job has a different focus, but a lot share gear. This was done because Laffter was saying to gear it like a MNK, which isn't possible since MNK gets massive haste gear at it's disposel along with A+ H2H giving it unmatched DoT with H2H. I wasn't comparing THF and PUP to show that it's closer then MNK and PUP.

Sorry, but you just spent probably 15 mins writing out that huge reply to everything in this thread wasting your time since you did nothing but make yourself look like a moron who really just tries to make others look dumb. Please, if you are going to attempt to treat others like crap, have a better reason.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Ronson
Server: Carbuncle
user: ronson
By Carbuncle.Ronson 2010-08-08 06:28:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
Carbuncle.Ronson said:
with the right attachement setup if you skill chain off backhand blow and daze you can hit 1200+dmg(player ws excluded) with x3 fire manys up...i persoanly have hit about 700 because i dont have certain attachments but i have witnessed other pups doing 1200+ rng dmg at lvl 55 :)
how in god's name can you use Daze with 3x fire maneuver, when fire maneuvers force Arcuballista.....? I'm smelling some BS...

lmao i smell a total noob who is clueless >.>

very very incorrect..you see if you use the store tp attachement you get pup to 100tp you take him off the mob you get to 100tp and then you use one inch punch and then tell pet too attack and because he has the store tp attackment he will choose daze because you used one inch punch.....

sorry bud you obviuosly dont no how to use pup well

the store tp attachment makes your pup be more effiecint with weapon skills I.E you can force him to use the ones you want if you no how to,tut

read up on the attachment for *** sake then buy it and learn how to use it before posting out of your arse!

Automaton Attachment:Inhibitor

When master is below 90% TP:
The automaton will spam weaponskills freely. The weaponskill used will be based upon which maneuvers are active, as normal.

When master is above 90% TP:
This attachment will force your automaton to save TP until a party member uses a weaponskill it can skillchain with. The automaton will ignore all maneuvers when attempting to skillchain. It will prioritize the highest weaponskill it has, that will still cause a skillchain

i rest my case
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-08 06:33:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Pup is cool, it's sad it can never be taken seriously :(

If I could be bothered with FFXI anymore, I'd level PUP as a hobby/solo job.

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Ronson
Server: Carbuncle
user: ronson
By Carbuncle.Ronson 2010-08-08 06:53:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Cordareo said:
So anyways Spicy, Ruiz was implying Rajas and another ring for weaponskilling since we don't get acc rings until later.
We get them at level 30, and before that IE the dunes wearing two str rings is better than dex rings. I really did not see the implication of a rajas ring either when someone says STR and DEX rings
Bismarck.Cordareo said:
I'm sure he wasn't meaning to use an EVA cape post BMantle. :)
Mentioned that.
Bismarck.Cordareo said:
Also, when I said what I did about comparing PUP and THF I was making an example of how you can compare it to other jobs but it still doesn't compare simply because each job has a different focus, but a lot share gear.
Still makes no *** sense.
Bismarck.Cordareo said:
This was done because Laffter was saying to gear it like a MNK, which isn't possible since MNK gets massive haste gear at it's disposel along with A+ H2H giving it unmatched DoT with H2H. I wasn't comparing THF and PUP to show that it's closer then MNK and PUP.
Usukane? Which is not this far fetched set and is much more common than it used to be.
Bismarck.Cordareo said:
Sorry, but you just spent probably 15 mins writing out that huge reply to everything in this thread wasting your time since you did nothing but make yourself look like a moron who really just tries to make others look dumb. Please, if you are going to attempt to treat others like crap, have a better reason.
Can we get some people who can play this job on here? Please?

i agree look at the GayLord who quoted me trying to say you cant force daze with fire manys up,yeah he tried till my experience shot his noob *** outa the sky :)

Post deleted by User.