Trial Element Staffs VS HQ Staffs?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Trial Element Staffs VS HQ Staffs?
Trial Element Staffs VS HQ Staffs?
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-04 12:34:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems to fit the 25% posted already alot already. Which would be about 8.7% dmg increase over HQs. Rounding screws with things a little but meh
 Fairy.Basilo
Server: Fairy
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-08-04 12:41:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea I realise the math had been posted alot but I personally hadnt seen any figures posted of nukes, just nice to see a few. Was doing my fire staff no wind weather I can find so got bored.

Order of staffs for blm imo is thunder >> fire >> cure potency + 17%, this is suited more for me though as I use kirin pole for 150int burn so the accuracy loss on vulcan wouldnt bother me much as I only use vulcan for nuking. And I believe I could get away with selling apollos as a blm with for cure potency + 17% staff and use just that and forth mace for buffs/cures. Banish actual dmg doesnt concern me and blm cant use repose or holy.

Besides these 3 atm I wont replace any hq staff with a magian one, I may work on it but I wouldnt sell the corresponding hq staff like I would with thunder/fire/light.

Thoughts?
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2010-08-04 12:46:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Why fire?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-04 12:47:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure why you'd bother with fire. Also depending on race getting to 150 int is getting easier and easier. And while you can say there is probably another tier... I doubt SE has planned that far ahead.

I mean 300+ enhancing skill is pretty much useless. Supposedly more than 300 dark doesn't add to potency

I pretty much never cure on blm so I woulnd't have gotten the cure potency if I wasn't a rdm.

I'd start working on ice in prep for blizz V. Because just imagine starting at the very start of the trials but with 2-4 more rounds of trials with 2-3 trials per round lol.

Dark one could be good. Do macc you could sleep on par with a rdm... it also would probably be better for drain/aspir though weather it would be better than the higher dmg one meh.

I'm gunna /wrist if they make meteor light based
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-08-04 13:01:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Malekith said:
Why fire?

Because Imo its an element I only nuke with flare2 when day matches and its a neutral/fairly weak mob I wouldnt need the accuracy that vulcans gives.

Thunder ive done /
Ice ... idk yet 5 int and 15 ele skill is nice, and hq staff has more accuracy for bind.
wind austers gives more accuracy for gravity
Neptunes is tempting to do too, would only lose accuracy on poison2 I think.
Apollos ... maybe using cure potency + 17% would result in more gimped cures during darksweather/day over apollos staff? if not I dont see why a blm couldnt sell apollos really for this.
Pluto's staff magian rep I really dont know about this one
And terra staff has more accuracy over magian one for slow if I made it for mab.

I guess what im saying is most elements have an enfeebling spell that I believe I would lose accuracy for if I went all 8/8 magian staffs with 4+dmg +2acc setup.

For me atm it seems thunder >> fire/light are "safe" ones to do for a blm.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-04 13:04:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I still keep my HQs for debuffs. It's not if they are worth much anymore
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-08-04 13:05:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Malekith said:
Why fire?

Actually easier to say :

Because I only use Vulcan staff atm for flare2 and occasionally fire3-4, and I only use those spells on fairly non resistant non hnm mobs. So replacing it with one with more dmg bit less acc is ok imo.
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-08-04 13:06:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:

Nothing to do with gil lol ^^ its purely inventory space. Besides we may find out in further updates that the affinity acc gets boosted to +4 too.
 Cerberus.Zandra
Server: Cerberus
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-08-04 13:10:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Malekith said:
Why fire?

If you grab the day/weather bonus from firesday/firestorm via the sea obi you'll most certainly pull off a stronger nuke than blizzard or thunder... and for way less MP.

Why not fire?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-04 13:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Basilo said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Nothing to do with gil lol ^^ its purely inventory space. Besides we may find out in further updates that the affinity acc gets boosted to +4 too.
Meh I run out with almost full invent but I do it
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-04 13:21:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Zandra said:
Asura.Malekith said:
Why fire?
If you grab the day/weather bonus from firesday/firestorm via the sea obi you'll most certainly pull off a stronger nuke than blizzard or thunder... and for way less MP.

Why not fire?
Actually using same amount of potency on staff and same MAB except for potency merits in thunder, thunder 4 will do more than fire IV unless you have day AND weather with relic pants or double weather. Just day or single weather wont be enough and even both wont be enough without relic pants. Even then it's close

And it's only 14 mp more
 Shiva.Xet
Server: Shiva
user: Xet
By Shiva.Xet 2010-08-04 13:21:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I am getting fire for undead. Simple as that.
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-08-04 13:26:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Asura.Malekith said:
Why fire?
If you grab the day/weather bonus from firesday/firestorm via the sea obi you'll most certainly pull off a stronger nuke than blizzard or thunder... and for way less MP. Why not fire?
Actually using same amount of potency on staff and same MAB except for potency merits in thunder, thunder 4 will do more than fire IV unless you have day AND weather with relic pants or double weather. Just day or single weather wont be enough and even both wont be enough without relic pants. Even then it's close And it's only 14 mp more

Not am2s though, Besides I often find myself at 168ish mp w/e fire4 is and not 172ish that thunder4 is with mob around 1.2k hp on firesday and kill it with fire if i can, if not conserve mp kicks in and I always got enough to sleep.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-04 13:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh AM2 is inefficient anyways. Wouldn't go thru all that effort just for that not having 14 more mp on firesday/weather lol.

I'd sooner make a earth macc one for when I slow on blm since that situation would still somehow come up alot more often
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-04 13:29:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't honestly see any real reason to nuke with inferior elements, obviously not counting Magic Bursts or Strengths/weaknesses. You could argue that a Flare II will do more damage than a Burst II on Firesday with double Fire weather, but then you could also argue that you should have 5/5 Burst II and 5/5 Freeze II meritted anyway and 5/5 Ice an Thunder potency. Putting one merit on every category is going to gimp your damage all around, and putting 5/5 on Fire potency or Earth potency or something like that is just stupid.
[+]
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-08-04 13:32:39
Link | Quote | Reply

5/5 ice 5/5 thunder, 3/5 freeze/burst 1 in rest.
 Shiva.Xet
By Shiva.Xet 2010-08-04 13:32:52
Link | Quote | Reply

AM2 will be useless soon as all T5 are out. Unless they make AM3. AM2 will suck even for MB's cos thunder/blzz 5 will cost less and only do a bit less damage. Less damage but more nukes is the way to go. If T5 only does less then AM2 by 2~400 then i'd rather save the mp but wont know till its out.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-04 13:34:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Water V dmg is already pretty close to AM2. Aero V will most likely have more base dmg than AM2 and of course higher dint multiplier
 Shiva.Xet
By Shiva.Xet 2010-08-04 13:37:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Water V dmg is already pretty close to AM2. Aero V will most likely have more base dmg than AM2 and of course higher dint multiplier

/agree.

AM2 is good for macc if merited and MB damage adder.

But really T5 will rape it.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2010-08-04 13:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

When I asked about fire it was just curious the way he wrote his top 3: Thunder, Fire, Cure Pot.

Just naming it without giving the logic behind the choice struck me curious. Sure if you matched day or weather and had relic legs, zodiac ring, obi to back it up you'll do well. However to just make a singular staff to use just one day a week or when weather randomly matches is silly. I'd rather just stick with alternating between ice and thunder.

That's not to say I don't plan on making a fire staff myself, but that's down the line. I keep debating between the Ice staff emphasizing MAB or a Dark one emphasizing MAC. And it's the choice between those two options that I'd rate as having more importance as must haves for a blm vs. a magian fire staff.

Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-08-04 13:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:

From what I remember in abyssea Geier Bird 1890ish water5 and 2100ish flood2 watersday.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-04 13:42:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Basilo said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
From what I remember in abyssea Geier Bird 1890ish water5 and 2100ish flood2 watersday.
Depends on gearing really. But from the sounds of it for there to be that big of a dmg difference either conditions were a bit different (and based on nukes I've done I'd say that is the case) or whatever you were nuking had more int than you lol
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-08-04 13:42:28
Link | Quote | Reply

May also be a 4 month-ish duration where fire5 is our strongest tier5 too.
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2010-08-04 13:42:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Xet said:
AM2 will be useless soon as all T5 are out. Unless they make AM3. AM2 will suck even for MB's cos thunder/blzz 5 will cost less and only do a bit less damage. Less damage but more nukes is the way to go. If T5 only does less then AM2 by 2~400 then i'd rather save the mp but wont know till its out.

Why do you think that they will cost less and do less damage? Right now the base damage difference between Stone 5 and Water 5 is 626 > 680. That's a huge jump. I'd assume that Aero 5 will already have more base damage than AM2 spells since they have 710. Dint multiplier is 2,299 instead of 2 for AM2s so thats another boost in damage for T5s. Mp cost for Fire 5 will probably be as much as AM2.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2010-08-04 13:43:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Xet said:
I am getting fire for undead. Simple as that.
See this is simple logic and it makes me inclined to agree.
 Cerberus.Zandra
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-08-04 13:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Asura.Malekith said:
Why fire?

Why not fire?
Actually using same amount of potency on staff and same MAB except for potency merits in thunder, thunder 4 will do more than fire IV unless you have day AND weather with relic pants or double weather. Just day or single weather wont be enough and even both wont be enough without relic pants. Even then it's close

And it's only 14 mp more

Ok after calculating it myself, if you DON'T have any merits and you bring the afv2 pants (+5% to day/weather bonus) the pants alone bring your Fire4 with obi over your Thunder4. Your merits, depending on how many you have will boost your thunder back over the top. However you're still shelling out more MP for a result that's pretty damn close. Also depending on what you're doing there is ALWAYS an argument for getting more dmg per mp spent rather than the BIGGEST single spike dmg from one hit.

Either way, efficiency makes its argument for BLMs, but for SCH a Fire 4 with obi, firestorm, and firesday will bitchslap a thunder 4 in those situations.
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-08-04 13:46:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe am1's still beat tier4s though... I remember pissing around with a pudding once nearly 2k freeze1 where blizz is around 1.85k... not that this has much bearing on how the dmg on tier5s will be played out but still.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-04 13:57:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Zandra said:
Ok after calculating it myself, if you DON'T have any merits and you bring the afv2 pants (+5% to day/weather bonus) the pants alone bring your Fire4 with obi over your Thunder4.
1. Afv2 pants is only day.
2. thunder IV has 23% more base dmg. A mere 15% from day wont top that especially at the loss of 10-14 int.

Here I'll do the math for you minus all the stuff that will cancel out like MAB, MB, MDB, or staffs. So we will just do:

D = (V + (dINT * M))day/weather

Let's say nuking thunder you have 130 int. Mob has say 90int. And worse case scenario your pants are only mahatma and your waist is only 5int waist. So on fireday nuking fire we would have 120int on fire weather no day we would have 125int.

So for thunder 4 dmg =(541+(40*2))*1= 621

On fire day Fire 4 dmg = (472+(30*2))*1.15= 611

Just fire weather fire 4 dmg = (472+(35*2))*1.1= 596

Note: Not the actual dmg you would get since staff and MAB are factored out since they will be the same regardless.
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2010-08-04 13:58:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Freeze has higher base damage than Blizzard 4 so of course it beats it in terms of damage.
@ Basilo, just get Varunas.. pls don't tell me you really need those 20 magic accuracy. Tell me a HNM where you would use Blizzard spells and need that 20 magic accuracy lol. Or tell me any mob where u really need to nuke in magic accuracy gear anymore.
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-08-04 14:02:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Finalvegeta said:
Freeze has higher base damage than Blizzard 4 so of course it beats it in terms of damage. @ Basilo, just get Varunas.. pls don't tell me you really need those 20 magic accuracy. Tell me a HNM where you would use Blizzard spells and need that 20 magic accuracy lol. Or tell me any mob where u really need to nuke in magic accuracy gear anymore.

Yeah I know this, it was more about bind and having to keep aquilos for that anyway, and I really am pushed for inv space as blm, I will do ice probably now, not that ur post didnt tell me anything I didnt already know but I guess it still comes b4 fire one, thunder >> ice >> fire >> other imo I guess. Reason I say other at end before fire is because fire doesnt have an enfeeble Id need to keep vulcan's for.