Final Fantasy XIII 20$!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Final Fantasy XIII 20$!
Final Fantasy XIII 20$!
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-07-18 19:47:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Akeda said:
I wondered how long it would take to turn this into a FF13 bashing thread

Well, now that Ent is in here...
He can tell us every flaw in it. He's good at doing that.
 Bismarck.Hisagi
Server: Bismarck
user: junpei87
By Bismarck.Hisagi 2010-07-18 20:14:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Q_Q moar please~
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-07-18 20:21:57
Link | Quote | Reply

An 82 on Metacritic is pretty damn awful for an FF, guys. And that's with the branding boost.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-07-18 20:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
An 82 on Metacritic is pretty damn awful for an FF, guys. And that's with the branding boost.

Yeah, FFXIII has good graphics, but the gameplay is kinda meh. I'll finish it eventually.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-07-18 20:24:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Not that I take much stock as to what Metacritic score a game has, that's pretty awful for an FF.

Sadly, it's still better than most random RPG's out there. (apart from the tales series ofc)
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-07-18 20:29:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
An 82 on Metacritic is pretty damn awful for an FF, guys.
It's easy to be sucked in by "Omg it's a game by SE, it's the coolest thing ever", because Final Fantasy, by design, creates lifelong fans. Generally the people that are asked to play and review long games like Final Fantasy are people that are willing to sit there and play them, i.e. the Final Fantasy fans that I had previously mentioned.

Basically, what I'm saying, is people are willing to overlook the obvious flaws of a game just because it has the title Final Fantasy.

To demonstrate my point, the upcoming game Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, is actually a completely different game made by a different company, but it's owned by the company that made Castlevania so they're putting their name on it. Technically it's not a Castlevania game, but Castlevania fans will still buy it. If that game sucks, and yet still gets high ratings, it will be no different than this.
 Odin.Kviton
Server: Odin
user: Kviton
By Odin.Kviton 2010-07-18 20:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Linear said:
FFXII: Q_Q world is too open!

FFXIII: Q_Q world is too confined!

Make up your damn minds.

SERIOUSLY!

Square needed to put some more content in 13. I'm not a hater or anything I loved the game but its just fact.

And for people to actually Q_Q about 12 being to vast:

Go play tic tac toe or something. :)
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-07-18 20:33:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Metacritic doesn't actually "say" anything, is the thing. It's an objective weighted average of every major review, from both the dedicated fanboy sites and the dedicated haters. Big guys, little guys, and stuff in between.

As such, it tends to be pretty accurate, to the point that a lot of gaming industry employee reviews, postmortems, etc like to reference it. It can't be brushed off as easily.

Previous FF's (with the exception of XI, most of which was just the fact it's an MMO) have never had much trouble consistently scoring in the 90's. ("Universal Acclaim.") To barely manage a score in the 80's ("Generally Favorable") is pretty abyssal for the franchise.

Scoring in the "D" range for combined fan reviews (which tend to be higher) is even worse.
 Shiva.Lorielain
user: Atrithk
By Shiva.Lorielain 2010-07-18 20:33:23
Link | Quote | Reply

>buy
>games
chucklingelflad.jpg
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-07-18 20:35:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Lorielain said:
>buy
>games
chucklingelflad.jpg

No reason not to buy a console game.
 Shiva.Lorielain
By Shiva.Lorielain 2010-07-18 20:38:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Lorielain said:
>buy
>games
chucklingelflad.jpg

Other than the statistically worse controls, longer load times, worse graphics statistically, anal rape from the hardware developers who require you to have a $100+ addon to play games...
No, no reason at all.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-07-18 20:49:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Lorielain said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Lorielain said:
>buy
>games
chucklingelflad.jpg

Other than the statistically worse controls, longer load times, worse graphics statistically, anal rape from the hardware developers who require you to have a $100+ addon to play games...
No, no reason at all.

I didn't think you could measure opinion through statistics? It's not like you need a KB and mouse to play a *** JRPG. And what addon did FFXIII need other than a console? lol.
 Caitsith.Linear
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-07-18 20:52:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Besides the fact emulations are buggy as hell (like Enternius who last I heard was having issues emulating PS2 on his "can play Crysis on optimum settings with max FPS" laptop) and there are a ***ton more console games than there are PC games and the only way to play them on PC is with said buggy emulations.

Yup. No reason to buy consoles at all.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-07-18 20:54:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't get me wrong, I'm pro PC. But just because I prefer PC's doesn't make consoles bad. Most people who are on /v/ seem to think you can only use one machine.

Console gaming has its place (albeit more shallow than PC gaming) and not to use consoles just because of stubbornness is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
 Shiva.Lorielain
By Shiva.Lorielain 2010-07-18 21:08:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Linear said:
Besides the fact emulations are buggy as hell (like Enternius who last I heard was having issues emulating PS2 on his "can play Crysis on optimum settings with max FPS" laptop) and there are a ***ton more console games than there are PC games and the only way to play them on PC is with said buggy emulations.

I didn't say there wasn't a reason to buy consoles, I said there wasn't a reason to buy the -games-. There's a difference, you know. Of cours,e there are a select few I will never pirate(Anything from From Software, Treasure, or Konami), but the majority of others is a 'pirate before you buy.'
I paid full price for Too Human.
NEVER AGAIN.
Now, as for addons, to you, Flonflon, you needed an HDD to save games which was marked up by 200% by Microsoft, when all it is...is a laptop hard drive.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-07-18 21:08:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Lorielain said:
Caitsith.Linear said:

I didn't say there wasn't a reason to buy consoles, I said there wasn't a reason to buy the -games-. There's a difference, you know.
Now, as for addons, to you, Flonflon, you needed an HDD to save games which was marked up by 200% by Microsoft, when all it is...is a laptop hard drive.

Unless you want extra storage you get a free HDD with a 360. /v/ has warped you.
 Shiva.Lorielain
By Shiva.Lorielain 2010-07-18 21:13:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Lorielain said:
Caitsith.Linear said:

I didn't say there wasn't a reason to buy consoles, I said there wasn't a reason to buy the -games-. There's a difference, you know.

Unless you want extra storage you get a free HDD with a 360. /v/ has warped you.
See my edit before we continue. The HDD was overpriced, the console is and always was a piece of junk.
 Midgardsormr.Markers
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Markers
By Midgardsormr.Markers 2010-07-18 21:14:05
Link | Quote | Reply

i no see coupon thing when i longed into it ;-;
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-07-18 21:18:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Lorielain said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Lorielain said:
Caitsith.Linear said:

See my edit before we continue. The HDD was overpriced, the console is and always was a piece of junk.

Keeping my 360 in a well ventilated room, and I've never had an issue with the Jasper chip line of 360's. The console can brick, but it's not difficult to fix it. The same goes for any hardware.

And if bad games are the reason not to buy a console... Well PC's have awful games, ever played Mirrors edge? Supreme commander 2, Every CC post tiberium wars etc.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend I don't pirate games however, but it's kind of pointless to pirate console games imo.
 Shiva.Lorielain
By Shiva.Lorielain 2010-07-18 21:24:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Keeping my 360 in a well ventilated room, and I've never had an issue with the Jasper chip line of 360's. The console can brick, but it's not difficult to fix it. The same goes for any hardware.

And if bad games are the reason not to buy a console... Well PC's have awful games, ever played Mirrors edge? Supreme commander 2, Every CC post tiberium wars etc.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend I don't pirate games however, but it's kind of pointless to pirate console games imo.
Why is it pointless to pirate console games but not PC games?
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-07-18 21:29:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Lorielain said:
Quote:

Because console emulators are generally buggy and generally take KB and Mouse controls badly. If you've got a 360 controller for the PC then fine, but if you do then it's kind of counter productive for your point.
 Shiva.Lorielain
By Shiva.Lorielain 2010-07-18 21:30:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Lorielain said:
Quote:

Because console emulators are generally buggy and generally take KB and Mouse controls badly. If you've got a 360 controller for the PC then fine, but if you do then it's kind of counter productive for your point.
Are you implying that I'm playing console games on the PC?
If I pirate, they're being played on the console. Be smart about this, friend. I mod and repair consoles for a living ;3
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-07-18 21:33:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Most people I've seen who don't like FF13 seem incapable of comprehending basic plot points (people near the end of the game who don't know what a l'Cie is, etc) that I don't put too much weight in the vast majority of their opinions.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-07-18 21:36:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Most people I've seen who don't like FF13 seem incapable of comprehending basic plot points (people near the end of the game who don't know what a l'Cie is, etc) that I don't put too much weight in the vast majority of their opinions.

I understand the story completely, The story was the strongest point of the game.
 Bismarck.Hisagi
By Bismarck.Hisagi 2010-07-18 21:37:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
^
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-07-18 21:59:50
Link | Quote | Reply

use your $20 and buy Valkyria Chronicles ;D

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Galith
user: Galadriel
By Lakshmi.Galith 2010-07-18 22:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Linear said:

Make up your damn minds.

FF13 was bad because it was too linear and had nothing to explore.

FF12 was bad because the story had nothing to do with the main character, not because its world was too open. I hear that FF12 was originally designed to have basche (sp?) as the main character a lot. And when i look back upon that one city where you go around telling everyone you're basche I can't help but think how true it is and how awesome it could have been.

That said I would love to be able to fly my own freaking airship again.
 Bismarck.Hisagi
By Bismarck.Hisagi 2010-07-18 22:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Galith said:
Caitsith.Linear said:

Make up your damn minds.

FF13 was bad because it was too linear and had nothing to explore.

FF12 was bad because the story had nothing to do with the main character, not because its world was too open. I hear that FF12 was originally designed to have basche (sp?) as the main character a lot. And when i look back upon that one city where you go around telling everyone you're basche I can't help but think how true it is and how awesome it could have been.

That said I would love to be able to fly my own freaking airship again.
Nothing to explore? Did u even get on pulse?
 Lakshmi.Galith
user: Galadriel
By Lakshmi.Galith 2010-07-18 22:46:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I did it was boring. It had no real npc interaction and was essentially focused around the FF13 Hunt system which was a pain in the arse because It took forever to go from statue to statue flagging quests. Outside of the hunts there were only a few hidden cut scenes and it in no way made up for the 95% of the game that was a straight line.