First Page 2 3
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-11 19:05:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure most of us have seen Idiocracy, You know "BRAWDO, The Thirst Mutilator", "Go away, I'm 'batin!", etc. The movie is set some thousand years in the future, where society has degraded into a redneck & stupidity clusterfuck.

There are a few signs that todays entertainment is going down this road, namely Dog the Bounty Hunter and Operation Repo. Mostly Operation Repo irks me. Seriously, THIS show is one time it'd be funny to see people shot. Basically, it plays out like this; Crew of 4, atleast 1 is a woman that seems to be there for no apparent reason. 1 is a Mexican dude, and one Is a big dumb Hulk Hogan wannabe White guy. Basically they pull up, approach broke-*** #1, sometimes 1-5, and basically "tell them how it's gonna go down" The episode I just watched, they failed to show their paper work AND give copies, TWICE. It's basically that sickening "I'm bigger than you, I'm taking your car, I don't have to show you ***." Which is reminiscent of the brutal, bullyish entertainment in.. IDK, Idiocracy?

The arrogance seems to be the only thing Dog has. I hear Dog actually does some charity work, Not saying he's a bad guy. But if you saw 2 Mexican dudes, dressed like thugs, a White guy, dressed like a biker, and some random fat chick, would you believe they were Repomen?

And yes, I realise the following.
-The people they repo from didn't pay.
I'm aware.
-They only show the people who act out.
I'd imagine they cause atleast half of that crap.
-Your rant was mostly on Operation Repo, not Dog the Bounty Hunter.
I find Dog to be a bit more bearable.
-Cool story, bro.
Indeed, it was.

TL;DR Operation Repo sucks.
[+]
 Garuda.Galadriel
Server: Garuda
user: Galadriel
By Garuda.Galadriel 2010-05-11 19:07:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure the repo show is all set up you can kinda tell if you just watch it. Not that well scripted to say the least.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-11 19:08:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Galadriel said:
Pretty sure the repo show is all set up you can kinda tell if you just watch it. Not that well scripted to say the least.

I've seen them get beaten up, and shot at. Was funny.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-05-11 19:17:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The "Real Housewives of <city>" are worse. Those shows make a virtue out of women who open their legs for a living, literally...
[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-11 19:19:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
The "Real Housewives of <city>" are worse. Those shows make a virtue out of women who open their legs for a living, literally...

Add that to the list.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-11 19:20:26
Link | Quote | Reply

You think that's bad check out The Tyra show or The view.

/shudders
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-11 19:22:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
You think that's bad check out The Tyra show or The view. /shudders

Tyra is still hot. The View can potentially be informative.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-11 19:22:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't envy you americans. We have some pretty bad TV shows here in the UK too.
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-05-11 19:23:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
I don't envy you americans. We have some pretty bad TV shows here in the UK too.
I actually like UK comedy, most American's don't understand it lol.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-11 19:24:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

Thought: "Atleast you have The Mighty Boosh."

Lead to: Adult Swim

Result: Tim & Eric Awesome show, great job. Is stupid and unfunny, too.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-11 19:28:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

U.K. comedy seems more eccentrically funny, if that's a word. I can understand it, accent and come of the British slang. As I said, The Mighty Boosh, Monty Python's Flying Circus, there are others I can't think of off the top of my head. They are actually pretty funny.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-05-11 19:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Monty Python :Q
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-11 19:29:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I like british comedy a lot. (UK office is far better than the US office)

But our documentaries on the life of chavs.

(A chav is a kind of wanker that is rapidly becoming the new *** stereotype for the true English ***, overthrowing the previous bowler-and-brolly archetype we all secretly wish were true. Chavs are typically inbred and known to swagger in large packs of similarly acne-ridden retards around the suburbs of England, attacking literally anyone for petty reasons (looking at them 'funny', etc) , but actually shitting themselves if ever challenged on their own. They are typically around the ages of 12 to 14, around 4 ½ foot high and dressed entirely in imitation adias tracksuits, mock gold jewellery and cheap cologne which stinks of cat piss. They are a complete plague and can be found lurking around literally any park, fast food outlet or off license, usually chain smoking, drinking or abusing civilians. Unfortunately, due to the promiscuous nature of the chav, they are becoming increasingly common and are even beginning to be seen as an epidemic in Britain. All chavs are hideous, extremely stupid and completely amoral.

Somewhere between vermin and parasites, a chav earns its living by signing up for the social (British unemployment benefits), stealing things from its local supermarket, or (more commonly) combining the two. A few of the moar enterprising chavs eke out a living selling low-grade cannabis and heavily adulterated amphetamines to school children.

Note that while Chavs are essentially wiggers, they hate it if anyone calls them that. Their wiggotry is quite apparent in the way they walk: legs as wide apart as Dorian Thorn's, arms out like coathangers after the typical chav training regimen of holding basketballs under the armpits.)
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-11 19:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Siren.Clinpachi said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

U.K. comedy seems more eccentrically funny, if that's a word. I can understand it, accent and come of the British slang. As I said, The Mighty Boosh, Monty Python's Flying Circus, there are others I can't think of off the top of my head. They are actually pretty funny.

Our comedy isn't actually eccentric anymore, it used to be and it's a known stereotype, but recently we've had the typical 'Cringe' worthy humour.

The show Extras is following Ricky Gervais who plays an extra on set. It has some of the most cringe worthy awkward humour I've ever seen. It's pretty dry so I don't think most people out of the UK would get it.

[+]
 Sylph.Bouncingflea
Server: Sylph
user: Roiclem
By Sylph.Bouncingflea 2010-05-11 19:36:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
I like british comedy a lot. (UK office is far better than the US office)

But our documentaries on the life of chavs.

(A chav is a kind of wanker that is rapidly becoming the new *** stereotype for the true English ***, overthrowing the previous bowler-and-brolly archetype we all secretly wish were true. Chavs are typically inbred and known to swagger in large packs of similarly acne-ridden retards around the suburbs of England, attacking literally anyone for petty reasons (looking at them 'funny', etc) , but actually shitting themselves if ever challenged on their own. They are typically around the ages of 12 to 14, around 4 ½ foot high and dressed entirely in imitation adias tracksuits, mock gold jewellery and cheap cologne which stinks of cat piss. They are a complete plague and can be found lurking around literally any park, fast food outlet or off license, usually chain smoking, drinking or abusing civilians. Unfortunately, due to the promiscuous nature of the chav, they are becoming increasingly common and are even beginning to be seen as an epidemic in Britain. All chavs are hideous, extremely stupid and completely amoral.

Somewhere between vermin and parasites, a chav earns its living by signing up for the social (British unemployment benefits), stealing things from its local supermarket, or (more commonly) combining the two. A few of the moar enterprising chavs eke out a living selling low-grade cannabis and heavily adulterated amphetamines to school children.

Note that while Chavs are essentially wiggers, they hate it if anyone calls them that. Their wiggotry is quite apparent in the way they walk: legs as wide apart as Dorian Thorn's, arms out like coathangers after the typical chav training regimen of holding basketballs under the armpits.)

Why does this remind me of the tv show Jersey Shore?
 Sylph.Siccmade
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Siccmade 2010-05-11 20:03:35
Link | Quote | Reply

i watched Operation Repo for a few episodes one night, have watched Dog a ***ton. I don't really see the correlation between those shows and people getting dumber. Terrible television has been around for years and these shows aren't even on major networks. Our entertainment has always primarily been based on violence, it starts as kids with super hero cartoons, anime and whatnot. I certainly agree that reality TV is awful (except for COPS which is fk'd up but highly entertaining at times). Have to say, I do like how you brought race and the stereotypes that accompany them into the equation while accusing Operation Repo of dumbing down its viewers.
Idiocracy 2: Ironacy. coming to a thread near you.
 Ifrit.Rikiyame
Server: Ifrit
user: Rikiyame
By Ifrit.Rikiyame 2010-05-11 20:11:26
Link | Quote | Reply

"The #1 movie in America was called "***." And that's all it was for 90 minutes. It won eight Oscars that year, including best screenplay."

P.S. Worst show ever: Toddlers & Tiaras
 Fairy.Basilo
Server: Fairy
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-05-11 20:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Few things about this thread, one is I got a copy of Idiocracy from US my sister got when visiting few years ago doesnt work on my devices though, looked like your average american pie comedy on the back.

Secondly American films on the whole >> UK I have to say to rally some support before I go all out and say British comedy imo >> American unless its animated. Scrubs was a exception and fresh prince.

Im often telling friends in other countries the greatness that is British comedy; Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Monty Python and even newer comedies like the Office or topical/weekly ones like Have I got news for you and Never mind the Buzzcocks.

Last month there was a series of comedies on channel 4 called "A comedy Roast" starting with a few British ones where comedians would joke/rip on a celebrity who would sit there and take it in good humour. TVguide.co.uk rated Britsh ones around 7/10ish but the William Schatner American one was given like 2/10 and was frankly ***. And its not because jokes were going in 1 ear and out the other.
Siren.Clinpachi said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Thats cool man I insist you try Red Dwarf, its sci-fi comedy bit old skool especially early series, has some 80s nostagia in there too.

As for Britain/Americas got talent or apprentice/USA apprentice I couldnt careless who thought of what 1st or what is better getting kinda sick of part reality tv crap. I wouldnt be supprised if you got "come dine with me" there in the states now too.

Facejacker; new British comedy only been out for 4 weeks, its a spin-off of the original fonejacker where a masked man would make prak calls in various accents. He now plays the characters for real now with various costumes. Similar to Ricky Gervais Extras its comedy is produced through arkward moments and situations. Its like um... when Johnny Knoxville had his arms in casts out at his side trying to find people in the street to undo his flies, that kinda comedy.

For documentaries David Attenborough's narration >> any American, and its not because I dislike the accent he just pawns.

TLDR; try Red Dwarf and Fawlty Towers if you havent already.

also www.channel4.com ; if youre after some Facejacker
www.bbciplayer.com ; for Have I got news for you / nvm the buzzcocks / various HD documentaries.

/too lazy to proof read.
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2010-05-11 20:21:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Siccmade said:
i watched Operation Repo for a few episodes one night, have watched Dog a ***ton. I don't really see the correlation between those shows and people getting dumber. Terrible television has been around for years and these shows aren't even on major networks. Our entertainment has always primarily been based on violence, it starts as kids with super hero cartoons, anime and whatnot. I certainly agree that reality TV is awful (except for COPS which is fk'd up but highly entertaining at times). Have to say, I do like how you brought race and the stereotypes that accompany them into the equation while accusing Operation Repo of dumbing down its viewers. Idiocracy 2: Ironacy. coming to a thread near you.
Somehow I feel like this picture describes you as you read that.

Him throwing out stereotypes was justified, although wrong in the way he said it. From a statistical and psychological standpoint, shows like Dog and Repo Men are watched by lowerclass and those with lower levels of school-education. While that sounds redundant, it would be ignorant to call them stupid.

That being said, it's a fact that the majority of people watching those kinds of shows are usually the ones you would imagine doing so. In America, southern-middle states make up the greater viewer count. Am I by any means saying it's "white trash" leading to idiocracy? No. Watch BET and you'll find shows just as HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. And on Telemundo you'll find shows that are watched because women run around in clad clothing shaking *** because a guy hit a buzzer.

Or those asian shows where a guy wins money for getting hit in the balls by a medicine ball. The shows are popular because it doesn't merit much brain activity. Lazy in the mind...worse than lazy in the body. It's easier for people with less brain activity to watch something that doesn't make you think as opposed to something more stimulating for the mind. And in doing so, keeps the mind lazy. It's a cycle of mental degradation that is hard to be broken, and the sad part is that it's only getting worse. Find shows this bad 30 years ago. Even the era of drugs and substance abuse had better TV than we do. It's funny if you think about it.

tl;dr,I said a cool story bro.
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-05-11 20:26:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Thought: "Atleast you have The Mighty Boosh." Lead to: Adult Swim Result: Tim & Eric Awesome show, great job. Is stupid and unfunny, too.

Noel Fielding is a funny fker :D he is in Never Mind the Buzzcocks for quite a few series.

Thought too: Why do I find South Park hilarious but I think Achmed the dead terrorist is totally crap.
 Phoenix.Haltro
user: Haltro
By Phoenix.Haltro 2010-05-11 20:42:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Basilo said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Thought: "Atleast you have The Mighty Boosh." Lead to: Adult Swim Result: Tim & Eric Awesome show, great job. Is stupid and unfunny, too.

Noel Fielding is a funny fker :D he is in Never Mind the Buzzcocks for quite a few series.

Thought too: Why do I find South Park hilarious but I think Achmed the dead terrorist is totally crap.

South Park is at least somewhat clever sometimes, Jeff Dunham and his entire ventriloquism act was, is, and always will be shallow, simple "comedy". =/
How he got so popular is beyond me.
 Leviathan.Niniann
Server: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-05-11 20:51:29
Link | Quote | Reply

@Basilo: Red Dwarf is amaaaaazing. Probably my favorite TV series, actually. They actually have DVDs out in the states that are I guess enhanced. I watched the series on a PAL video cassette tape, on what I'm assuming was an american TV. But yeah. Rimmer is hart.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-11 20:54:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Haltro said:
Fairy.Basilo said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Noel Fielding is a funny fker :D he is in Never Mind the Buzzcocks for quite a few series. Thought too: Why do I find South Park hilarious but I think Achmed the dead terrorist is totally crap.
South Park is at least somewhat clever sometimes, Jeff Dunham and his entire ventriloquism act was, is, and always will be shallow, simple "comedy". =/ How he got so popular is beyond me.

inb4 lolpup
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-05-11 20:57:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
@Basilo: Red Dwarf is amaaaaazing. Probably my favorite TV series, actually. They actually have DVDs out in the states that are I guess enhanced. I watched the series on a PAL video cassette tape, on what I'm assuming was an american TV. But yeah. Rimmer is hart.

Woooot! an American who said that im all happy now, lol gotta be up in 5 hours so short post. I did actually go on amazon.com before to check American reviews of British comedies before seeing this thread. Just out of interest really to see how you took them , I was glad to see the ones I love, Americans were more often than not fond of too.
 Phoenix.Darki
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-11 21:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

kojo gtfo.
 Bahamut.Overlordkain
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Overlordkain 2010-05-11 21:18:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I caught a glimpse of Operation Repo today, they had what i can only describe as a midget with roid rage who was not allowed out of the truck in their crew, show was awful for the whole 5 minutes i was watching it.
I hear its just reconstructed (If a little exaggerated) crap anyway.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-05-11 21:50:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
UK office is far better than the US office
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-05-11 21:58:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Operation Repo, along with every other "show" on True TV is crap and it makes me wonder why executives actually spend the money to make them. They might as well flush their money down the toilet.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Server: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-05-11 22:01:35
Link | Quote | Reply

how long did it take you to figure out people they just ran out of idea. They dont want us to know so they grab wtv they find.
By eskae 2010-05-11 22:11:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Proof of degredation of society
First Page 2 3