Meanwhile, At The Huffington Post:

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Meanwhile, at the Huffington Post:
Meanwhile, at the Huffington Post:
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 56 57 58
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-24 07:39:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
In response to the arrests of three law enforcement officials in Oklahoma for sexually assaulting women while on the job, an Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper told women they can avoid getting raped by a cop if they simply follow traffic laws.

Raw Story first pointed out on Tuesday that Capt. George Brown, a state trooper, shared a few tips for women in an interview with local NBC News affiliate KJRH. Brown told the KJRH anchor that women can keep their car doors locked and speak through a cracked window if a trooper approaches them. If the trooper asks a woman to get out of the car, Brown said, she can ask "in a polite way" why he wants her to do that.

But the "best tip that he can give," the anchor said on air of his interview with Brown, "is to follow the law in the first place so you don’t get pulled over."
Cop's Tip For Not Getting Raped By A Cop: 'Don't Get Pulled Over'
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-24 09:22:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
fonewear said: »
I don't mind single mothers long as I don't play the step dad role.

You really shouldn't be sleeping with a single mother if you're not ready to make the child part of your life.

But then, that's not really on you as much as it's on the mother; she already clearly made one terrible choice in a mate. If she's sleeping with a guy who has zero interest in being a part of her child's life, maybe she needs to re-*** her life strategy, because clearly she's prone to repeating mistakes.

Hey, there's a reason to sleep with lots of people. Single mothers need loving too.

It's tough to start a relationship with one. I don't like the idea of taking care of some other guys kid. Plus they give you the "my kid comes first" crap. I mean I get it and all, the kids greatly important to you (it should be), but you have to realize that you're counter offer to the relationship pact is vastly deficient than non mothers.

I think the greatest challenge however would be having the two live with me and NOT being expected to play a patriarchal role due the wishes of the woman, or only be expected to play selective parts of one. Not that I speak from experience, but I've seen it with relatives and friends that date girls with kids and frequently the girl wants the them to stay out of that role. I would just feel, powerless to influence my own life.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-09-24 09:30:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

You really shouldn't be sleeping with a single mother if you're not ready to make the child part of your life.

But then, that's not really on you as much as it's on the mother; she already clearly made one terrible choice in a mate. If she's sleeping with a guy who has zero interest in being a part of her child's life, maybe she needs to re-*** her life strategy, because clearly she's prone to repeating mistakes.

Hey, there's a reason to sleep with lots of people. Single mothers need loving too.

It's tough to start a relationship with one. I don't like the idea of taking care of some other guys kid. Plus they give you the "my kid comes first" crap. I mean I get it and all, the kids greatly important to you (it should be), but you have to realize that you're counter offer to the relationship pact is vastly deficient than non mothers.

I think the greatest challenge however would be having the two live with me and NOT being expected to play a patriarchal role due the wishes of the woman, or only be expected to play selective parts of one. Not that I speak from experience, but I've seen it with relatives and friends that date girls with kids and frequently the girl wants the them to stay out of that role. I would just feel, powerless to influence my own life.

I will readily admit I'm pretty bias about this because I have the greatest stepdad on the planet, imo. My real dad is an okay guy and all, but...well, not going into it. Bottom line is that while I don't expect every step parent to have to do what my step father did, it's vital that you know your place in the relationship and if you're not okay with that, just say so up front and get out of it. Otherwise you're setting yourself up for failure from the start.

Quote:
Plus they give you the "my kid comes first" crap.

It's not crap; that's how it should be. Which is why I have no desire to be a parent.
By Ramyrez 2014-09-24 09:33:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Quote:
In response to the arrests of three law enforcement officials in Oklahoma for sexually assaulting women while on the job, an Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper told women they can avoid getting raped by a cop if they simply follow traffic laws.

Raw Story first pointed out on Tuesday that Capt. George Brown, a state trooper, shared a few tips for women in an interview with local NBC News affiliate KJRH. Brown told the KJRH anchor that women can keep their car doors locked and speak through a cracked window if a trooper approaches them. If the trooper asks a woman to get out of the car, Brown said, she can ask "in a polite way" why he wants her to do that.

But the "best tip that he can give," the anchor said on air of his interview with Brown, "is to follow the law in the first place so you don’t get pulled over."

Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-24 09:44:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

I will readily admit I'm pretty bias about this because I have the greatest stepdad on the planet, imo. My real dad is an okay guy and all, but...well, not going into it. Bottom line is that while I don't expect every step parent to have to do what my step father did, it's vital that you know your place in the relationship and if you're not okay with that, just say so up front and get out of it. Otherwise you're setting yourself up for failure from the start.

Quote:
Plus they give you the "my kid comes first" crap.

It's not crap; that's how it should be. Which is why I have no desire to be a parent.

It's how it should be AND it's crap. I don't start relationships looking to take second place in my partner's life, apparently you don't either. I think there are single moms who don't realize that's what they're asking.
By Ramyrez 2014-09-24 09:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I do get what you're saying.

Some folks are just not going to be compatable due to life circumstances, though. The child is such a circumstance.

Also, let's not forget not all guys want to be the first thing in their woman's life; some guys like having that buffer. I actually suspect that, at first, that's how my step dad was. Dunno, I was too young to remember. But he was always great to me.

And I know in many (most?) cases of regular couples who have a child, the child is now first in both of their lives.

Eh, we may be talking in circles a bit.

All I mean is that you shouldn't get into a relationship with a single mom unless you're prepared for the whole package.
By fonewear 2014-09-24 10:06:20
Link | Quote | Reply

In summary: drink wine and play Monopoly.

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-09-24 10:14:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

This is SUCH a load of BS.

The cop has the lights, the siren, the badge, and the gun. If he wants to pull you over he can and will even if you did nothing wrong. I have been pulled over on flimsy pretext many times, but fortunately never by a rapist cop.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-09-24 10:55:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Quote:

This is SUCH a load of BS.

The cop has the lights, the siren, the badge, and the gun. If he wants to pull you over he can and will even if you did nothing wrong. I have been pulled over on flimsy pretext many times, but fortunately never by a rapist cop.
One thousand times this. If this is actual advice from a police officer (and not taken out of context), than the police officer needs to be relieved of duty or otherwise severely punished.

That's the same thing as telling a police officer: Don't want to get shot? Don't wear your uniform.

It's almost getting to the point that you need to call a private security service with a live audio/video feed/legal advice on the line any time you get pulled over.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-24 20:19:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
A Texas woman who had minor acting roles in film and television was sentenced Wednesday to 18 years in prison for sending ricing-laced letters to President Barack Obama and former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

A judge sentenced Shannon Guess Richardson, 36, in federal court in Texarkana, Texas, on a federal charge of possessing and producing a biological toxin. She had pleaded guilty to the charge in December in a deal her attorney said capped the sentence at 18 years. Richardson also must pay restitution.

Prosecutors say Richardson mailed three letters from New Boston, outside Texarkana, then went to police and claimed that her estranged husband had done it. Richardson was arrested last June after authorities said she tried to implicate Nathan Richardson, who had had filed for divorce.

Prosecutors say investigators noted inconsistencies in Richardson's statements and later learned that she had purchased materials online to produce ricin, a toxin that can cause respiratory failure if inhaled.

Richardson has had minor roles in the television series "The Walking Dead" and the movie "The Blind Side." She also is the mother of six children — including one born prematurely while she was in custody.

She acknowledged in a signed plea agreement that she ordered castor beans online and learned how to process them into a substance used to make ricin. She obtained an email address, a PayPal shopping account and a post office box in her husband's name without his knowledge, according to the document.

On the morning of May 20, 2013, she said she waited for Nathan Richardson to go to work.

"After he left the house, I printed the mailing labels for President Barack Obama, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, and Mark Glaze with The Raben Group," Richardson said in the document. At the time, Glaze was director of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, Bloomberg's group advocating for tougher gun control.

The letter to Obama read, "What's in this letter is nothing compared to what ive got in store for you mr president," according to the document. "You will have to kill me and my family before you get my guns. Anyone wants to come to my house will get shot in the face."

After mailing the letters, she admitted to trying to blame her husband and lying to authorities.
Shannon Guess Richardson, Texas Woman Who Sent Ricin Letters To Obama, Gets 18 Years In Prison
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-24 20:22:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, that happened in July.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-24 21:17:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Surveillance video at an Ohio Wal-Mart shows the moment police fired upon and killed a man who was carrying an air rifle sold at the store.

The recently released video appears to show 22-year-old John Crawford III being fired upon just seconds after police encounter him.

The August 5 incident triggered protests from residents and family members demanding the video be released. Crawford is black, and the two officers involved in the fatal shooting are white. Crawford's family asked for a federal investigation to see if race was a factor.

Instead, a grand jury determined Wednesday that the two officers involved were justified in their actions.

Police have said multiple times that Crawford refused commands to drop the air rifle, according to the Dayton Daily News. The surveillance video, obtained by the Xenia Daily Gazette, appears to show Crawford shot almost immediately after police encounter him.

Special Prosecutor Mark Piepmeier told the Associated Press that Crawford picked up the air rifle, which had been taken out of a box and left on a shelf in the store, and walked around while on his cell phone when officers approached and shot him.

The Crawford family said they were "disgusted" by the grand jury decision to not file charges against the two officers involved in the shooting.

More from the family's statement:

"The Walmart surveillance video and eyewitnesses prove that the killing of John H. Crawford, lll was not justified and was not reasonable. It is undisputed that John Crawford, lll was in Walmart as a customer and was not posing a threat to anyone in the store, especially the police officers."

Hours after the grand jury decision, the Department of Justice released a statement saying they were going to conduct an independent investigation into the shooting, according to WCPO.
New Video Shows John Crawford Fatally Shot By Police In Wal-Mart
By fonewear 2014-09-24 23:04:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Time to protest Wal Mart ! This wouldn't happen if it was Target.
By fonewear 2014-09-26 08:06:37
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/25/woman-fat-suit-tinder-date_n_5881330.html?utm_hp_ref=women&ir=Women

Video cause reading is for suckers:

By Ramyrez 2014-09-26 08:12:24
Link | Quote | Reply

So they found five superficial dudes.

Not a hard thing to do.

You know what my question would have been?

"Are you wearing fat prosthetics?"

Because it's fairly obvious to me.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-09-26 08:14:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I would have asked her where she got that fat suit.

First thing you do is look at her fingers. I noticed that right away she doesn't have "fat" fingers.
By Ramyrez 2014-09-26 08:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I would have asked her where she got that fat suit.

First thing you do is look at her fingers. I noticed that right away she doesn't have "fat" fingers.

Unless she's got a seriously untreated goiter problem that neck fat is just...off.

You can see around her face in general.

If someone showed up to a date and was actually a bit heavier than their picture, I think it makes you a *** to just take off, so not excusing the guys being douches.

But I'm equally concerned that they didn't realize they were being punk'd.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-26 10:01:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Not a hard thing to do.

You know I really hate how men are supposedly bad because they don't want to settle for a fat / overweight whale of a partner. Being physically attracted to your partner isn't an "insignificant" or "superficial" detail.
By Ramyrez 2014-09-26 10:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Not a hard thing to do.

You know I really hate how men are supposedly bad because they don't want to settle for a fat / overweight whale of a partner. Being physically attracted to your partner isn't an "insignificant" or "superficial" detail.

Ehh. Worded simply originally. Being attracted is important. Obviously I would have noticed too, hence the fat suit question.

But responding like a douche isn't really cool either.

The superficiality isn't so much in not wanting to date them because of their looks, but in treating them like ***because of it.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-26 10:12:55
Link | Quote | Reply

But no consequences for the woman pretending to be 115 when shes actually 285? How come she gets a free pass?
By Ramyrez 2014-09-26 10:17:04
Link | Quote | Reply

But no consequences for the woman pretending to be 115 when shes actually 285? How come she gets a free pass?

What free pass? You're not hooking up with her.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-26 10:21:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Why isn't it cool to respond like a douche? The girl is quite drastically pretending to be something she's not in order to get dates. She's taking advantage of these men before she even meets them.

She's the one acting like a douche, not the men who get pissed about it.
By Ramyrez 2014-09-26 10:22:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Why isn't it cool to respond like a douche? The girl is quite drastically pretending to be something she's not in order to get dates. She's taking advantage of these men before she even meets them.

She's the one acting like a douche, not the men who get pissed about it.

Why is it so hard to respond civilly?

See the women's responses...
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-26 10:40:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Apples to oranges. This is not about an equivalent deception between the sexes. This video stats quite clearly that we're deceiving men based on what they dread the most.

I bet if we had these guys pretend to be serial killers the girls would react far less civil.
By fonewear 2014-09-26 10:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

But being deceptive is a prized quality in women !
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-09-26 10:46:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Apples to oranges. This is not about an equivalent deception between the sexes. This video stats quite clearly that we're deceiving men based on what they dread the most.

I bet if we had these guys pretend to be serial killers the girls would react far less civil.

Why is someone being overweight what they fear most?

What they fear most is an unattractive appearance?

That is the very definition of superficial.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-26 11:05:23
Link | Quote | Reply

What's superficial, fearing an unattractive appearance on a blind date? Didn't we JUST agree that it wasn't?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-09-26 11:12:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Do what a person should do. If you're not interested tell them you're not interested and excuse yourself. Is there any need to take it anywhere beyond that?

I'm not saying it's right to lie about your appearance but when you're dating online I think people have come to expect a difference between what you see there and what you actually get. If you're that worried about physical attraction then go out there and meet someone. That way you know what you're getting up front. In any case there's no reason for people on either side to go all postal on eachother. You go and see if its what you want... if it isn't what you want is it really that hard to be a grown up and just state that you're not interested and leave?

I don't really care if people are superficial. I don't think it's wrong either... you want what you want... but you shouldn't be a douche about it.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-09-26 11:13:12
Link | Quote | Reply

What's superficial, fearing an unattractive appearance on a blind date? Didn't we JUST agree that it wasn't?

It's not superficial to prefer a woman be attractive to you.

It is superficial that it's paramount that they be attractive to even be nice to someone.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-09-26 11:14:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretend to be serial killers? What?
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 56 57 58