Meanwhile, At The Huffington Post:

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Meanwhile, at the Huffington Post:
Meanwhile, at the Huffington Post:
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 56 57 58
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-09-12 11:09:46
Link | Quote | Reply

In other news,

Arianna Huffington is apparently in New Zealand at the moment, doing some kind of inspirational seminar.

I don't think I'd be able to take her seriously in person. I'd spend the whole time thinking about car batteries.

[+]
By fonewear 2014-09-12 11:10:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Page before it was shutdown:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3840/15007736307_330a2a6f30_o.png
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-12 13:33:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
In other exclusive Huffington Post News:

(I have no idea who these people are btw)

Quote:
Some say age is just a number.

'Ray Donovan' Star Steven Bauer, 57, Steps Out With 18-Year-Old Girlfriend
This man is my hero.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-09-12 13:58:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
In other exclusive Huffington Post News:

(I have no idea who these people are btw)

Quote:
Some say age is just a number.

'Ray Donovan' Star Steven Bauer, 57, Steps Out With 18-Year-Old Girlfriend
This man is my hero.

"On your knees honey, it's time for homework"
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-09-12 14:07:48
Link | Quote | Reply

You have set the bar low for acceptance into your club of heroes Nausi!
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-12 14:16:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Creep factor aside, how do you "date" someone almost 40 years your junior? I mean, I "get" it from one standpoint...but it's the Hugh Hefner standpoint. I get the physical part.

But that's not dating; that's just sex.

How do you connect with someone like that? I don't think I could connect with an 18 year old girl right now. It's just...unthinkable to me. I've dealt with them. I've been back to my college for alumni functions with my fraternity and talked to girls that age...there's little to no common ground at all.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-09-12 14:19:05
Link | Quote | Reply

He can't legally be with his daughter so this is the next best thing ?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-09-12 14:20:43
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Now I'm creeped out.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-12 14:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Now I'm creeped out.

Gross.
By fonewear 2014-09-12 14:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Well in the eyes of an 18 year old girl any relationship that lasts more than 20 minutes is a long term relationship...
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-12 14:32:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Well in the eyes of an 18 year old girl any relationship that lasts more than 20 minutes is a long term relationship...

I'm not sure how I would even deal with my own wife at 18 again, and we were together the first time around.

Life experience is tough, yo.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-09-12 14:34:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I couldn't stand to be around a teenager for more than a few hours...
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-09-12 15:09:09
Link | Quote | Reply

she's hot as all ****, y'all just jelly you ain't got his patience
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-12 15:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Creep factor aside, how do you "date" someone almost 40 years your junior? I mean, I "get" it from one standpoint...but it's the Hugh Hefner standpoint. I get the physical part.

How do you connect with someone like that? I don't think I could connect with an 18 year old girl right now. It's just...unthinkable to me. I've dealt with them. I've been back to my college for alumni functions with my fraternity and talked to girls that age...there's little to no common ground at all.

Age doesn't have to be anything more than a number. I've met people in their 30s and 40s who are more flaky than the number of girls 10-20 years younger in their 20s that I know. I've dated girls ~10 years younger than me and ~10 years older and I will say that women are slightly more apt to know what they want the older they get, but it's nothing even close to a guarantee. Once you get into your mid 30s, the only single women out there your age aren't really the settling down type (my exp anyways). Those people have already settled down most likely in their 20s cause that's what they wanted to begin with.

Besides, the assumption that 18 year old girls are all 1-dimensional ditzes is a pretty broad sweeping generalization.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-12 15:16:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
she's hot as all ****, y'all just jelly you ain't got his patience

She's really nothing special...she's not bad looking, but...really pretty average.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-12 15:21:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Age doesn't have to be anything more than a number. I've met people in their 30s and 40s who are more flaky than the number of girls 10-20 years younger in their 20s that I know. I've dated girls ~10 years younger than me and ~10 years older and I will say that women are slightly more apt to know what they want the older they get, but it's nothing even close to a guarantee. Once you get into your mid 30s, the only single women out there your age aren't really the settling down type (my exp anyways). Those people have already settled down most likely in their 20s cause that's what they wanted to begin with.

Besides, the assumption that 18 year old girls are all 1-dimensional ditzes is a pretty broad sweeping generalization.

I'm not saying that they're all 1-dimensional ditzes. I didn't think my wife was then or now, as I specifically referenced her.

And a 10-year difference isn't a 39-year difference. I would think you'd at least want to keep it within a standard deviation of about half a generation.

Quote:
Once you get into your mid 30s, the only single women out there your age aren't really the settling down type (my exp anyways). Those people have already settled down most likely in their 20s cause that's what they wanted to begin with.

This part makes plenty of sense though. I've got a very good friend right now who's 37 and single and he's got a pretty tough time of it because most of the single women his age either have kids and are looking for relationships that will support those kids as well (both financially and family-wise) or they're not the settling down type, as you stated...or they're just batshit crazy.

It's the first and last groups that you tend to find a lot around here. :x

Edit: All of that is to say, your point is valid but I just can't imagine being able to connect with someone with whom I don't have at least some basic cultural points of reference.

Look at it this way; an 18-year-old right now is someone who can barely remember 9/11/01.

That's tough. In my mind, anyway.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-12 15:29:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not saying that they're all 1-dimensional ditzes. I didn't think my wife was then or now, as I specifically referenced her.

And a 10-year difference isn't a 39-year difference. I would think you'd at least want to keep it within a standard deviation of about half a generation.

Quote:
Once you get into your mid 30s, the only single women out there your age aren't really the settling down type (my exp anyways). Those people have already settled down most likely in their 20s cause that's what they wanted to begin with.

This part makes plenty of sense though. I've got a very good friend right now who's 37 and single and he's got a pretty tough time of it because most of the single women his age either have kids and are looking for relationships that will support those kids as well (both financially and family-wise) or they're not the settling down type, as you stated...or they're just batshit crazy.

Not to state the obvious either but it's not like people get better looking with age. I think women in particular are harder hit by this idea than men. I think that men also have other/more attractors that increase with age.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-09-12 15:35:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: All of that is to say, your point is valid but I just can't imagine being able to connect with someone with whom I don't have at least some basic cultural points of reference.

Look at it this way; an 18-year-old right now is someone who can barely remember 9/11/01.

I could never be with someone where the age difference is so great that I could be their parent, or worse.

I've always known that I wanted to be with someone the same age as me - even a year older or younger seemed too great of a gap. I guess that it helps that my wife and I are only two days apart (technically closer to three, factoring the time difference between NZ and USA).
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-12 16:09:46
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not that difficult at ~10 years. K and I liked the same TV shows / movies (Mad Men, Shameless, GoT), had the same wit / sense of humor, and really enjoyed the same activities. There were only very few things about her I didn't particularly enjoy. In the end she felt the things we didn't agree on were worth the leaving the rest for. She fell victim to the 80/20 rule. My friends like to say she finally acted her age. I do joke about it, but I don't really believe that not knowing what you want is an age thing, it's more of a woman thing, in my exp anyways.

EDIT: And not everyone your age can relate to 911. If you met a girl overseas who wasn't here when it happened she'd be unable to relate to you about that too. I get what you're trying to say, but think you're fixating too much on the actual number.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-12 16:29:22
Link | Quote | Reply

More like Granddaughter.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-12 16:32:16
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not that difficult at ~10 years. K and I liked the same TV shows / movies (Mad Men, Shameless, GoT), had the same wit / sense of humor, and really enjoyed the same activities. There were only very few things about her I didn't particularly enjoy. In the end she felt the things we didn't agree on were worth the leaving the rest for. She fell victim to the 80/20 rule. My friends like to say she finally acted her age. I do joke about it, but I don't really believe that not knowing what you want is an age thing, it's more of a woman thing, in my exp anyways.

EDIT: And not everyone your age can relate to 911. If you met a girl overseas who wasn't here when it happened she'd be unable to relate to you about that too. I get what you're trying to say, but think you're fixating too much on the actual number.

Yeah, I mean. It could all go out the window with the right person, too.

It's also hard for me to imagine these things because you need to remember that I'm pushing 33 and I've been with my wife for over half my life. Imaging myself with anyone else is tough, given the potential contexts in which I would be looking for someone else.

I guess the bottom line is that I can see a special connection superseding the age gap, but it would have to be a very special connection and in general, while if I met someone in that age group and there was a connection I wouldn't run from it, but I also probably wouldn't be looking in that age group.

And yeah. Younger girls can be hot. That's just a fact. It's biology.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-12 16:32:37
Link | Quote | Reply

More like Granddaughter.

Biologically speaking, even potentially a great-granddaughter.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-09-12 16:41:13
Link | Quote | Reply

London bombings 7/7
Spanish Train Bombings 2004
Thai Christmas Tsunami 2004
Japanese Tsunami of 2011

Tragedy is tragedy.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-14 08:37:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Not the apology everyone was hoping for.
Quote:
Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin said she owes America a "global apology" for the 2008 GOP presidential ticket's loss to President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden.

During an interview with Fox News' Sean Hannity, Palin spoke about Obama's long-term strategy for defeating the Islamic State -- a militant group formerly known as ISIS or ISIL -- that he laid out in a speech Wednesday night.

"As I watched the speech last night, Sean, the thought going through my mind is, 'I owe America a global apology. Because John McCain, through all of this, John McCain should be our president,'" Palin said.

Palin went on to compare the Islamic State to Hitler and questioned how seriously Obama is taking the group.

"So when Barack Obama, like the rest of us, hear these bad guys, these terrorists, promising that they will raise the flag of Allah over our White House, for the life of me I don't know why he does not take this serious, the threat. Because yes, it's more than a vision," Palin said. "They're telling-- just like Hitler did all those years ago, when a war could've been avoided, because Hitler, too, did not hide his intentions. Well ISIS, these guys aren't hiding their intentions either."
Sarah Palin: 'I Owe America A Global Apology'
By fonewear 2014-09-14 08:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I was hoping for a sex tape...wait...yea.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-09-14 10:43:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Connecting is often easy.

I always try to have younger friends in my life. Teens to 30somethings. Interacting with them keeps my mind flexible.

But they are friends. I hang out with them. I don't date them.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-14 11:25:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »

Connecting is often easy.

I always try to have younger friends in my life. Teens to 30somethings. Interacting with them keeps my mind flexible.

But they are friends. I hang out with them. I don't date them.
Just casual sex then?
By fonewear 2014-09-16 08:41:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't mind single mothers long as I don't play the step dad role.

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-16 08:45:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't mind single mothers long as I don't play the step dad role.

You really shouldn't be sleeping with a single mother if you're not ready to make the child part of your life.

But then, that's not really on you as much as it's on the mother; she already clearly made one terrible choice in a mate. If she's sleeping with a guy who has zero interest in being a part of her child's life, maybe she needs to re-*** her life strategy, because clearly she's prone to repeating mistakes.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-09-16 08:47:15
Link | Quote | Reply

See I like the women that make terrible choices with their lives...
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 56 57 58