Bill Nye Debates Creationist Ken Ham Live 2/4/2014

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Bill Nye debates Creationist Ken Ham live 2/4/2014
Bill Nye debates Creationist Ken Ham live 2/4/2014
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19 20
 Shiva.Tedril
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-18 13:41:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Shiva.Tedril said: »
Bismarck.Ihina said: »
The whole point is us choosing him, if everybody just loved him then we would be like heaven, and this is earth. The point is to choose to love him regardless.

Which god did you choose and why did you choose him/her?
I wouldn't say I chose a God, I found one. I would never just swallow what was told to me and go with that. Research and understanding and experience.
Wait, you shopped around for a god? Looked at Consumer Reports, read the 5-star reviews on Amazon, that kind of thing? Did a comparison on tithing rates versus afterlife? Drove around and kicked a few tires?

Doesn't that defeat the enire concept of belief?
Did you read? I said I DIDN'T choose one. I found out what he is, started with the concept there is a god (which I had figured out ahead of time) and went from there. Then tried to figure out what he was.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-18 13:41:52
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I was obsessed with Fallout New Vegas but that only lasted like a week. Now Fallout 4 I'll be hooked again though.
I'd really prefer if they canned the FPS aspect, and went back to the 2d issometric view.

Look out kids, we've got a Fallout hipster in the house!

(I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Though I think they're all great games.)

More than FPS vs. Isometric, I'd rather they focus really, really hard on getting rid of the massive memory bleeds and losses that have plagued their games for nearly two decades.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-18 13:47:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Most of them not really, And those that have balance tend to lack a relationship which is a part of the balance. Its the sense of so many different things rolled into one. It would take a long time to elaborate. But its like he is both with us and above us, sovereign yet allows for our free will. Just different things like that.

But most gods claim to be both with us and above us, sovereign yet allows for our free will. Even non-mainstream gods have claims that they walk among us, yet are above us, and so forth.

There's also a matter of how you know these things, yet also claim that you can't really know anything.

Could you elaborate even more? You've already spent a sizable amount of time in this thread, I doubt a little more could be that much trouble.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-04-18 13:50:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Dear lord, there goes my coffee after "read the 5-star reviews on Amazon". Bahahahaha.

"Paid into this PONZI SCHEME all my life and still went to Hell. Contacted Jesus and did not get my money back."

"Waged Jihad for years only to find out Allah was a man of peace. Description was completely unlike what I expected."

"FOUND SHINTOISM. BEST PURCHASE OF MY LIFE. DO RECCOMMEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!."

"Do you want to make 70 dollars an hour working from home? Please call 555-555-5555 for more information. Feed your kids and CHANGE YOUR LIFE with one phonecall"

"Cheap Chinese CRAP. Stick to Buddhism, get your money's worth. DO NOT BUY."

"Seller refused to return calls regarding complaints. Worst customer service EVAR!!."
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-04-18 13:51:42
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole point is us choosing him, if everybody just loved him then we would be like heaven, and this is earth. The point is to choose to love him regardless.

Which god did you choose and why did you choose him/her?
I wouldn't say I chose a God, I found one. I would never just swallow what was told to me and go with that. Research and understanding and experience.
Wait, you shopped around for a god? Looked at Consumer Reports, read the 5-star reviews on Amazon, that kind of thing? Did a comparison on tithing rates versus afterlife? Drove around and kicked a few tires?

Doesn't that defeat the enire concept of belief?
Did you read? I said I DIDN'T choose one. I found out what he is, started with the concept there is a god (which I had figured out ahead of time) and went from there. Then tried to figure out what he was.

The answer can be yours for 100 easy installments of 9.99. Call now, don't delay!
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-18 13:54:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Frankly, when it comes to proof in religion, Milamber's avatar, while intended for humor, is more solid proof than anything I've ever seen anyone present regarding a Judeo-Christian deity.
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-18 13:56:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Most of them not really, And those that have balance tend to lack a relationship which is a part of the balance. Its the sense of so many different things rolled into one. It would take a long time to elaborate. But its like he is both with us and above us, sovereign yet allows for our free will. Just different things like that.

But most gods claim to be both with us and above us, sovereign yet allows for our free will. Even non-mainstream gods have claims that they walk among us, yet are above us, and so forth.

There's also a matter of how you know these things, yet also claim that you can't really know anything.

Could you elaborate even more? You've already spent a sizable amount of time in this thread, I doubt a little more could be that much trouble.
I feel like I'm back in high school writing papers, but... Let me start with saying I'm not excluding other religions from an after life so to say I picked this one OVER the others wouldn't be right. One of the only major things that is different from the other postulations I would rest assured with is Jesus. Now saying that, even disregarding that into falsehood, it wouldn't really change much for the end goal. For the part of Knowing things... I would rate that you go from information>perception>Faith>understanding>knowing... so I sit comfortably trying to understand it.
By fonewear 2014-04-18 13:58:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a duck face your argument is invalid.

Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-04-18 13:59:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
I was obsessed with Fallout New Vegas but that only lasted like a week. Now Fallout 4 I'll be hooked again though.
I'd really prefer if they canned the FPS aspect, and went back to the 2d issometric view.

Look out kids, we've got a Fallout hipster in the house!

(I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Though I think they're all great games.)

More than FPS vs. Isometric, I'd rather they focus really, really hard on getting rid of the massive memory bleeds and losses that have plagued their games for nearly two decades.

I can't say that I had any memory problems with 1/2/tactics, but then it has been a while since I ran them.
And I don't recall havin many issuew with other Black Isle games.
Now, bethesda.... they have always been horrible; I remember Daggerfall crashing constantly.

It is as if their coders have no concept of memory management, or simple best practices.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-18 13:59:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like I'm back in high school writing papers, but... Let me start with saying I'm not excluding other religions from an after life so to say I picked this one OVER the others wouldn't be right. One of the only major things that is different from the other postulations I would rest assured with is Jesus. Now saying that, even disregarding that into falsehood, it wouldn't really change much for the end goal. For the part of Knowing things... I would rate that you go from information>perception>Faith>understanding>knowing... so I sit comfortably trying to understand it.

Doesn't a believe in Jesus, hence a belief in christianity dictate that there is only one god?

Also, where does your information come from?
[+]
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-18 13:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I think her lips are larger than her shoulders...
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-18 14:00:15
Link | Quote | Reply

/flamethrower!
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-18 14:00:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I think her lips are larger than her shoulders...

Ask me about fake tans.

God save us from New Jersey duck faces.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-04-18 14:03:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Roast duck with plum sauce?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-18 14:06:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Long ago in a distant land, I, Chris Christie, the shapeshifting master of gridlock unleashed an unspeakable evil....
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-18 14:08:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesn't a believe in Jesus, hence a belief in christianity dictate that there is only one god?

Also, where does your information come from?
Any sources I feel are valid enough, but I do find the accurate on to be the bible most the time because of the jesus thing. And this goes back to the thinking makes it so thing, if god is the only god, then my thoughts on who is he is won't change anything. Therefore, as long as people believe in God that's all you need (given certain xyz's that I don't know what are). Honestly, totally forgot my last point I will post it if I remember it. Probably last real post, gonna eat then work. I've enjoyed the conversation.
By fonewear 2014-04-18 14:08:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been to New Jersey I'm still recovering.

I could smell the Jersey Shore the stench of tan spray and cheap vodka haunts me to this day.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-18 14:15:13
Link | Quote | Reply

So basically, you require proof that light and black holes exist, systematically reject all proof due to your claims that they're influenced by perception, then claim that simple 'believing' in god is enough for you to accept his existence to be true, and that your information comes from a book put together hundreds of years after jesus's death by a bunch of opportunistic politicians based on a stories written decades after jesus's death.

Call me crazy, but it seems that the level of evidence you require is a little inconsistent.
[+]
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-18 14:18:40
Link | Quote | Reply

So basically, you require proof that light and black holes exist, systematically reject all proof due to your claims that they're influenced by perception, then claim that simple 'believing' in god is enough for you to accept his existence to be true, and that your information comes from a book put together hundreds of years after jesus's death by a bunch of opportunistic politicians based on a stories written decades after jesus's death.

Call me crazy, but it seems that the level of evidence you require is a little inconsistent.
I take that back I didn't enjoy talking to you because you didn't even read it...Go back read my posts again. I never disagreed with black holes, I was pointing out that people are saying they are real by what they do and defining them based on that, my response was thats awesome I do the same thing with finding god. I was making a comparison of science and religion...
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-18 14:22:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Look out kids, we've got a Fallout hipster in the house! (I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Though I think they're all great games.) More than FPS vs. Isometric, I'd rather they focus really, really hard on getting rid of the massive memory bleeds and losses that have plagued their games for nearly two decades.
I can't say that I had any memory problems with 1/2/tactics, but then it has been a while since I ran them. And I don't recall havin many issuew with other Black Isle games. Now, bethesda.... they have always been horrible; I remember Daggerfall crashing constantly. It is as if their coders have no concept of memory management, or simple best practices.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant Bethesda. The Elder Scrolls games have had memory problems as long as they've been around.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-18 14:26:26
Link | Quote | Reply

So basically, you require proof that light and black holes exist, systematically reject all proof due to your claims that they're influenced by perception, then claim that simple 'believing' in god is enough for you to accept his existence to be true, and that your information comes from a book put together hundreds of years after jesus's death by a bunch of opportunistic politicians based on a stories written decades after jesus's death. Call me crazy, but it seems that the level of evidence you require is a little inconsistent.
I take that back I didn't enjoy talking to you because you didn't even read it...Go back read my posts again. I never disagreed with black holes, I was pointing out that people are saying they are real by what they do and defining them based on that, my response was thats awesome I do the same thing with finding god. I was making a comparison of science and religion...

But that isn't what you do at all. What you do has nothing to do with any measurable, observable phenomenon. Physics supports black holes, though we don't know everything about them yet.

Nothing supports any deity in similar fashion. The only even potential argument you could make is that we simply are not as far along in the process of understand god as we are other aspects of the universe, yet the fact that you claim it (god) as a factual thing circumvents the quantifiable process that we've used to establish the existance of what you're attempting to hold up as an analog.

That is to say, the most you can assert is that there very well may be a god and we have been unable to even perceive the lines which we could use to draw back to it, let alone the god itself.

So, hey. I guess, if that's what you think is happening, there's nothing to say you're wrong. But you certainly aren't going to prove it's there by your line of thinking.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-18 14:31:18
Link | Quote | Reply

If you look pass your nitpicking, you'd see that my point is that the level of evidence you require is inconsistent.

For instance, how do you know what's written in the bible is true? It's literally just a book, how do you know what's written in there isn't influenced by perception? One of the reasons you gave for your belief is that god is sovereign yet allows for our free will. How do you know that this is true? How do you know that perception isn't responsible for your misinterpretation of the bible? Every person that you've talked to learned about christianity through their perception, and then afterwards attributed various things to their religion. We know this because the muslim population accredit the muslim god, the hindus with the hindu god and so forth.

In short, how can you be sure about that information when it too comes to you through perception.
[+]
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-18 14:35:00
Link | Quote | Reply

If you look pass your nitpicking, you'd see that my point is that the level of evidence you require is inconsistent.

For instance, how do you know what's written in the bible is true? It's literally just a book, how do you know what's written in there isn't influenced by perception? One of the reasons you gave for your belief is that god is sovereign yet allows for our free will. How do you know that this is true? How do you know that perception isn't responsible for your misinterpretation of the bible? Every person that you've talked to learned about christianity through their perception, and then afterwards attributed various things to their religion. We know this because the muslim population accredit the muslim god, the hindus with the hindu god and so forth.

In short, how can you be sure about that information when it too comes to you through perception.
I can't and neither can you, which is the whole point bud.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-18 14:35:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Not even remotely the same thing. You're equating the empirical to the spiritual in order to elevate your arbitrary belief system to the level of scientific knowledge.

There's no use for a God variable in science. It's not E=mc^2+GOD or F=ma+GOD. It's extraneous and useless in describing the way we know the universe to work. The only people trying to cram God into science are the people trying to validate their own beliefs because they're watching those beliefs gradually become less and less relevant as our knowledge base grows more and more.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-18 14:36:41
Link | Quote | Reply

The real questions is why do you care if people believe or not believe in God. Is it really that important ? Does it keep you up at night that strangers on the internet don't share your beliefs ?
By Refia1 2014-04-18 14:38:05
Link | Quote | Reply

The real questions is why do you care if people believe or not believe in God. Is it really that important ? Does it keep you up at night that strangers on the internet don't share your beliefs ?

do you ever make serious posts? jw lol xD
By fonewear 2014-04-18 14:39:20
Link | Quote | Reply

That was a serious post. What other people believe shouldn't' dictate what you believe. No one here has made a good argument for or against believing in God. It is a personal choice.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-18 14:39:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't and neither can you, which is the whole point bud.

It does seem like you believe in that information even though you admittedly can't rely on it. It does seem like a bit of a folly to have faith in unreliable information.
By Refia1 2014-04-18 14:40:27
Link | Quote | Reply

That was a serious post. What other people believe shouldn't' dictate what you believe. No one here has made a good argument for or against believing in God. It is a personal choice.

There is a difference in the context of the thread. When their belief interfere with the truth it become a problem.
By fonewear 2014-04-18 14:41:14
Link | Quote | Reply

It is a belief do you understand that it doesn't have to be proven. You can believe in or against whatever you want.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19 20