Bill Nye Debates Creationist Ken Ham Live 2/4/2014

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Bill Nye debates Creationist Ken Ham live 2/4/2014
Bill Nye debates Creationist Ken Ham live 2/4/2014
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20
By Refia1 2014-04-18 14:42:24
Link | Quote | Reply

ok but that doesn't mean that its ok lolz. Or you saying racism was ok? When your belief is contrary to true facts, it is a problem do u not see that?
 Shiva.Tedril
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-18 14:42:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Shiva.Tedril said: »
I can't and neither can you, which is the whole point bud.

It does seem like you believe in that information even though you admittedly can't rely on it. It does seem like a bit of a folly to have faith in unreliable information.
doesn't it though? lol
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-18 14:43:06
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
That was a serious post. What other people believe shouldn't' dictate what you believe. No one here has made a good argument for or against believing in God. It is a personal choice.

A personal choice that manifests itself as a problem across societies. Or have you been asleep regarding gay marriage and women, pushing religious crap into our laws and the moralizing hypocrites who cannot stand to do anything less than shoehorn their Jesus everywhere. Your ability to make that reasonably snarky post is a result of people beating back the oppressive aura that religion carries with it.

Or perhaps you haven't seen what happens in countries where religion runs rampant. I'm fine if you want to believe in whatever it is you choose to call your belief system but that doesn't put you above criticism and if they'd kindly keep it out of my gummint I'd be overjoyed.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-18 14:43:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just trying to find god myself but I'm having a hard time doing so. Just thought maybe he can help.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-18 14:44:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just trying to find god myself but I'm having a hard time doing so. Just thought maybe he can help.

Have you tried the phone book?
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-18 14:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
The real questions is why do you care if people believe or not believe in God. Is it really that important ? Does it keep you up at night that strangers on the internet don't share your beliefs ?
I'm not upset at all, I have enjoyed all the serious posts, or your posts lol, its not about whether they agree with me its more about oh idk were they rude for no reason lol
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-18 14:45:58
Link | Quote | Reply

doesn't it though? lol

Doesn't it though what? I don't follow you here.

I made the assertion that putting your faith in unreliable information is silly, which is what you admit to be doing. Or are you making the claim that a belief in god is silly?
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-18 14:46:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I have to go, but message me anytime if you are serious, I'm always game for a discussion for open for searching to find God. I think it's what we're here for, so my door is always open :).
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-18 14:47:47
Link | Quote | Reply

doesn't it though? lol

Doesn't it though what? I don't follow you here.

I made the assertion that putting your faith in unreliable information is silly, which is what you admit to be doing. Or are you making the claim that a belief in god is silly?
Not silly you said folly, and I was saying any "observed" information is unreliable information.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-18 14:48:13
Link | Quote | Reply

e can help.
Well I have to go, but message me anytime if you are serious, I'm always game for a discussion for open for searching to find God. I think it's what we're here for, so my door is always open :).

Wait, didn't you already say that you found god? Even you deny those exact words, you still claim to be a following of Jesus. That would suggest that you already found a god you could believe in and that your search is over.
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-18 14:49:53
Link | Quote | Reply

e can help.

Wait, didn't you already say that you found god? Even you deny those exact words, you still claim to be a following of Jesus. That would suggest that you already found a god you could believe in and that your search is over.
Have you ever made a friend? Did you know everything about them right away? My best friend and I have been friends for 7 years and I'm still trying to figure out his crazy ***... Same thing.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-18 14:50:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Not silly you said folly, and I was saying any "observed" information is unreliable information.

But you made the claim that what we do with black holes, you also do with god in order to find/learn about him; I'll go back and look for the post if you insist. Something about making a comparison between science and religion. So essentially, your search for god has been through a venue of unreliable information.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-04-18 14:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
So basically, you require proof that light and black holes exist, systematically reject all proof due to your claims that they're influenced by perception, then claim that simple 'believing' in god is enough for you to accept his existence to be true, and that your information comes from a book put together hundreds of years after jesus's death by a bunch of opportunistic politicians based on a stories written decades after jesus's death.

Call me crazy, but it seems that the level of evidence you require is a little inconsistent.
I take that back I didn't enjoy talking to you because you didn't even read it...Go back read my posts again. I never disagreed with black holes, I was pointing out that people are saying they are real by what they do and defining them based on that, my response was thats awesome I do the same thing with finding god. I was making a comparison of science and religion...
Not even remotely the same thing. You're equating the empirical to the spiritual in order to elevate your arbitrary belief system to the level of scientific knowledge.

There's no use for a God variable in science. It's not E=mc^2+GOD or F=ma+GOD. It's extraneous and useless in describing the way we know the universe to work. The only people trying to cram God into science are the people trying to validate their own beliefs because they're watching those beliefs gradually become less and less relevant as our knowledge base grows more and more.

It doesn't matter how much science THINKS it knows about existence (scientific theories aren't really completely infallible anyways). All the empirical data humans could ever know is not capable of proving "god" doesn't exist.

Much like people who believe in god can never really prove he does by pointing to their faith.

You might have a different view of it, but you're still inside the maze.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-18 14:52:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you ever made a friend? Did you know everything about them right away? My best friend and I have been friends for 7 years and I'm still trying to figure out his crazy ***... Same thing.

So you're just arguing semantics, much like your point that folly =/= silly. You've already found a god, but you wish to learn more about him. That doesn't really change the argument though. The information you used to find god is still unreliable, unless there's some other way you haven't mentioned?
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-04-18 14:55:05
Link | Quote | Reply

1 thing I like about Christians is all their stupid holidays, I swear I'm just about the only guy working today.
[+]
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-18 14:55:18
Link | Quote | Reply

So you're just arguing semantics, much like your point that folly =/= silly. You've already found a god, but you wish to learn more about him. That doesn't really change the argument though. The information you used to find god is still unreliable, unless there's some other way you haven't mentioned?
Explaining that process would take a long time, but I would be happy to do that, I will write out an explanation at a later date.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-18 14:55:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
about Christians is all their stupid holidays, I swear I'm just about the only guy working today.

You're wrong here, bub.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-18 14:56:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Explaining that process would take a long time, but I would be happy to do that, I will write out an explanation at a later date.

I look forward to read about how you can obtain information that bypasses perception.

I heard a woman claim that god is real because she asked god to make it stop raining and three minutes later, it stopped raining. I hope it's a bit more convincing than that.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-04-18 14:57:39
Link | Quote | Reply

You're wrong here, bub.

I just meant around my office, should've been more clear.

quit! I don't think anyone will notice.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-18 14:58:42
Link | Quote | Reply

It's only 1PM and I'm already in Friday afternoon-mode.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-18 15:07:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
So basically, you require proof that light and black holes exist, systematically reject all proof due to your claims that they're influenced by perception, then claim that simple 'believing' in god is enough for you to accept his existence to be true, and that your information comes from a book put together hundreds of years after jesus's death by a bunch of opportunistic politicians based on a stories written decades after jesus's death. Call me crazy, but it seems that the level of evidence you require is a little inconsistent.
I take that back I didn't enjoy talking to you because you didn't even read it...Go back read my posts again. I never disagreed with black holes, I was pointing out that people are saying they are real by what they do and defining them based on that, my response was thats awesome I do the same thing with finding god. I was making a comparison of science and religion...
Not even remotely the same thing. You're equating the empirical to the spiritual in order to elevate your arbitrary belief system to the level of scientific knowledge. There's no use for a God variable in science. It's not E=mc^2+GOD or F=ma+GOD. It's extraneous and useless in describing the way we know the universe to work. The only people trying to cram God into science are the people trying to validate their own beliefs because they're watching those beliefs gradually become less and less relevant as our knowledge base grows more and more.
It doesn't matter how much science THINKS it knows about existence (scientific theories aren't really completely infallible anyways). All the empirical data humans could ever know is not capable of proving "god" doesn't exist. Much like people who believe in god can never really prove he does by pointing to their faith. You might have a different view of it, but you're still inside the maze.

But the thing is, as much as it's a "belief" in science, it's a belief in what we as humans can perceive as "facts". There are simply some constants that are just that. Constants. Observable constants.

I'm not looking to disprove any deity. I am, in fact, wanting proof of one. But it cannot be provided. Spin that however you like, but even if you say science's discoveries are not "fact", they're still concrete. You can see the results of science.

Still waiting on the verification on the god thing.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-18 15:07:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I like how people keep throwing God around like even if we find a God at the center of the universe it'll be YOUR God - the narrowly defined Judeo-Christian God of the Bible. So in addition to saying you know God exists you also attach the second assertion that it is this one specific God and that all other gods are false. And atheists are arrogant? lolok.

There are three steps here:
-God exists.
-God exists and it's my God.
-All other Gods are false.

Any sufficiently advanced alien lifeforms in the universe could easily be gods from our perspective just like the people of the Americas thought some white guys in iron helmets packing flintlocks were gods... until they proceeded to bring ruination upon their civilization.

The theist continuously pushes the idea of God yet has locked themselves into the idea that the creator must be yours. Newsflash, it doesn't. Your guess is as good as Odin, Mithras, Quetzalcotl, Izanami, Shiva, Osiris etc etc. Perhaps God is something that we haven't even found yet but you can't make that choice because you've locked in your answer with faith.

The only reason you choose to believe what you do is because of your family, time period of birth, anglo domination and events that have occurred over centuries before you took your first dump in a diaper. You have faith that Jesus is behind this and little else if you're honest.

Honestly, I see Jesus as a lesson about oppressive regimes and what happens when you speak out against what the masses choose to believe. He doesn't need to be God incarnate, have performed any miracles or made promises to return in order to pull a moral from the story.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-18 15:09:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
So basically, you require proof that light and black holes exist, systematically reject all proof due to your claims that they're influenced by perception, then claim that simple 'believing' in god is enough for you to accept his existence to be true, and that your information comes from a book put together hundreds of years after jesus's death by a bunch of opportunistic politicians based on a stories written decades after jesus's death.

Call me crazy, but it seems that the level of evidence you require is a little inconsistent.
Not even remotely the same thing. You're equating the empirical to the spiritual in order to elevate your arbitrary belief system to the level of scientific knowledge.

There's no use for a God variable in science. It's not E=mc^2+GOD or F=ma+GOD. It's extraneous and useless in describing the way we know the universe to work. The only people trying to cram God into science are the people trying to validate their own beliefs because they're watching those beliefs gradually become less and less relevant as our knowledge base grows more and more.

It doesn't matter how much science THINKS it knows about existence (scientific theories aren't really completely infallible anyways). All the empirical data humans could ever know is not capable of proving "god" doesn't exist.

Much like people who believe in god can never really prove he does by pointing to their faith.

You might have a different view of it, but you're still inside the maze.
I'd love to live in this world where we you guys seem to think we don't actually know anything. Though I imagine it'd be pretty boring and would involve lots of tree-climbing and poo-flinging.

And to answer that question earlier, I don't give two *** about what anyone believes. It is, however, a problem when beliefs try to get shoehorned into science and passed off as legitimate theories.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-18 15:11:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Honestly, I see Jesus as a lesson about oppressive regimes and what happens when you speak out against what the masses choose to believe. He doesn't need to be God incarnate, have performed any miracles or made promises to return in order to pull a moral from the story.

This is one thing I will stress repeatedly.

Jesus may have not had a single bit of divine nature about him. But his lessons -- or, at least, those attributed to him -- are still very valid. Not being shitty to one another is an astoundingly good idea.

Still waiting on some of the so-called "Christians" to come through on them, though.

Please note I said "some". I know several very good Christians who are very good people and who also don't try to convert every single person on the planet or push it on others. They're just good people. And that's really what matters within our current existance anyhow.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-04-18 15:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

If you don't understand that the burden of proof is on religion then you're simply not very intelligent.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-18 15:16:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Other than the 'give away all your possessions, leave your family and follow me' thing. Even if he descended from the sky and told me to do these things personally, I'd have a hard time complying.
By fonewear 2014-04-18 15:19:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I like how this thread is exactly like every religion thread. And any other religion thread in the future.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-18 15:19:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Other than the 'give away all your possessions, leave your family and follow me' thing. Even if he descended from the sky and told me to do these things personally, I'd have a hard time complying.

Maybe if it was this guy:

That line always came off a bit cultish to me but hey, in Jesus' time he'd have been a cult.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-18 15:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I like how the self-professed philosopher is the one most intent on derailing and contributing nothing of substance.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-18 15:24:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Well we should all know what fone is and isn't capable of by now, so that's no surprise.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20