Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Synergy » How to Skill Synergy and Get Goodies
How to Skill Synergy and Get Goodies
 Sylph.Akibakei
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Akiba
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-05-03 09:42:45
Link | Quote | Reply

So we all know that SOME synergy recipes require having a certain rank of skill in some random craft or 3. But what if you dont have this and still wanna skill Synergy?

The answer is the City-Teleport Earrings! They require no skill in any other craft. This is cheap and will mostly cost only Fewell.

You can spend about 11k on getting the rare/ex item and the Silver Earring to get started. Use FFXI Wiki to find where each of them are sold. Each city has their respective rare/ex item found at one of their standard Merchants. Buy the Silver Earring from Lower Jueno at the Gems store.

You can use the Bastok/Windy/Sandy Earrings to start off. These earrings cap at around 19 and you can easily use them to get to 12+. If you happen to actually make the earring, then dont take it since its rare/ex. You will only have to pay for fewell and will eventually make it once you reach a desired level.

Next you will need to take a step up and have your choice of a few Earrings. I personally did Jueno but you can do Rabao, Mhuara or Selbina.

Take any of these to 20+.

Next move on to the Norg Earring. You can get to 30-40 with this.

Viola! You now have some Synergy Skills. Past 40 is a crapshoot. You will now be experienced enough in Synergy to look into some of the higher level armors in order to cap Synergy. These earrings are wonderful, 30 charges and great skillups and they require 0 skill in other crafts.

EDIT:
Tip. Always TRY your hardest to make the earring. That means shoot for the elements, relieve the valve, and repair the machine. If you succeed in the Synth just let the time run out so you can get your mats back. I succeeded on my Jueno Earring several times before I actually took it.
[+]
 Sylph.Rawkhawk
By Sylph.Rawkhawk 2010-05-03 12:46:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I like it. I may do this when I get around to Synergy, those earrings could come in handy. Was going to just do my Carpenter's Smock, but I might have to do one for at least a couple cities as well.

Thanks.
[+]
 Sylph.Akibakei
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-05-03 13:08:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Just added a quick edit. Having this earrings is gonna be awesome. ~11k per earring, 30 charges. Basically you can warp to each city once a day (sounds great for guild point items) for a month and then just make yourself another one.
 Lakshmi.Snuffy
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Snuffy 2010-05-03 14:03:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not familiar with synergy, so I'll ask...do you "spend" the 11k stones for each synergy session (either as an earring, or a "break"), as you would any synthesis material during crafting? If so this sounds expensive.
 Sylph.Keion
user: bassplay
By Sylph.Keion 2010-05-03 14:18:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Snuffy, you dont lose the items when you "break". You can either finish the synergy and get the warp earring or fail and get all you items, minus the fewell.
 Sylph.Akibakei
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-05-03 14:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Keion said:
Snuffy, you dont lose the items when you "break". You can either finish the synergy and get the warp earring or fail and get all you items, minus the fewell.

This is correct. since you never lose Mats there is no reason to take the earring unless you have skilled up on it to your liking.
 Sylph.Rawkhawk
By Sylph.Rawkhawk 2010-05-03 14:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

How much would restocking fewell after one synth attempt be? I have seen the per fewell price on Wiki, although I don't remember it, but how much fewell do you use per synth? Do you pay for repairs?
 Sylph.Akibakei
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-05-03 14:45:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, from the AH, 1 orb of Fewell restores 50 "points" of an element. 1 Feed into a synergy equals anywhere from 2-12 (randomly) to the synth. The max I have seen of any 1 Element is 55 so You can probably feed 5 times to get close to the that. On 1 orb of fewell you can do several synths.

It always help to be able to craft your own fewell honestly, but its not necessary.

Even crystals can restore fewell. 1 crystal = 1 "point" so if you have lying around getting dust then feed em to the pots.

EDIT:

I just reread that, kinda confusing. Fewell from the AH gets put into the Pots, which hold a maximum of 99 points that go into the synths. 1 Orb = 50 points.

While you are synergizing (is this a word) you put 1 point at a time in the mixture which can raise the respective element anywhere from 2-12 strength in the current mixture. Hope this is clearer.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-03 16:15:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Really it's pertty much the same as doing the ingots froms leaves which can get you 0 to 60 rather quick with only 2-3 recipes and therefore only 2-3 sets (4 for each recipe) of leaves and 2 vitoril total. Plus you get to sell it back
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-05-03 20:05:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure what I did for my first few levels, juice and stuff I think, but that was pretty soon after release. Do your cloak until 44 or w/e it caps at, mythril nugget until 50, gold nugget until 60. You can attempt gold nugget at 1, and you'll get skill-ups, but your pressure and impurity rate will be horendous and you'll make the furnace explode a lot. It's not going to cost you any more in fewell, it'll just take a lot longer due to the explosions.

Don't ever buy fewell from the NPC, it's stupidly expensive, and don't use crystals either, it's about the same/worse. Use only fewell orbs off AH for restocking your fewell, and don't feed any orbs to the furnace until you have 49 or less of that element or you're wasting gil. (Ignore this once you're high level and actually trying to make things, but you'll know your ***at that point)

Whichever item you are skilling up on, pick one element that it requires, and use that element only, wind and earth are both good, wind explosions will knock you back so you just have to take a step forward and keep going, earth explosions will give you slow, so you if you can haste yourself you can just keep going (you can't synergise while you have a debuff of any sort on).

If, for instance, the required element is 45 on a recipe, just keep feeding that element fewell to the furnace until time runs out, it doesn't matter if you hit 99 and even keep going, you will still get skill-ups. The important thing is to just stick to one element, because there is no way you will ever accidently succeed the synth, and can keep skilling-up. It also means you only have to buy one element of fewell off AH, which just makes everything simpler.

As for the feeding process, every time you feed fewell it seems to increase that element a random amount between 2-8, and 10 if an "elemental surge" occurs. If the combustion rate for that element has improved, you will get 1 more for that element, making it 3-9 or 11 for an elemental surge. If you are currently on 40 and the target for that element is 45, and elemental surge will bring it to exactly 45, ie: it will never go over. In fact, if you are skilling up, and are past the goal (because you still get skill-ups), an elemental surge won't increase it at all. But, that's more helpful for actually trying to make things rather than skill-up.

It all sounds pretty complicated at first, but it's pretty simple once you learn all the in's and out's.
[+]