users online
Forum » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Friends & Alla
Friends & Alla
 Gilgamesh.Filiuslunae
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
By Gilgamesh.Filiuslunae 2008-12-14 16:40:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Two suggestions I've always wanted to share with you guys, but had never gotten around to doing so:

1. Would it be possible to, either: know when someone adds you to their friends' list, or, have the ability to know who has added you to their friends' list?
This would help people in connecting with others, in a MySpace-y way. Also, anyone you add, will add you as well, so you'll be on each others' lists. Mutual, rather than just one way. ^^

2. No, not trying to preach religion. Alla, as in Allakhazam.com. I once posted on that forum that it would be nice if ffxiah linked to the item pages on Alla, from the item pages on this site, set up in a similar fashion as the ffxiclopedia links. To us, English speakers, the JP link right next to the ffxiclopedia one isn't very useful. What I like about the Alla pages is that they contain commentary and anecdotes about the usefulness, or uselessness, of a given item, as well as tried methods of how to obtain it. Certainly, Alla shouldn't be taken as the bible of how everything is used, but it's nice to read others' accounts about things. While some pages on ffxiah do have comments that depict players' experiences, it's very limited. Ffxiclopedia, which is a very useful website, and most of the time, the most respected, follows a formal format, which relegates any limited player commentary to its history pages.

Thanks.

~FILIUS
 Gilgamesh.Filiuslunae
By Gilgamesh.Filiuslunae 2008-12-15 02:35:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I've read the FAQs and a few posts from one of the administrators here. He mentions a few times that FFXIAH is dedicated to enabling automated functions. Looking at the Allakhazam pages, the links to the item pages seem to be composed of random numbers (correct me if I'm mistaken), which would make any automation process impossible. If that's the case, and if this suggestion is to be considered at all, linking to the search page results would be an option (i.e. here for Spider Torque). This would be so, unless there's a way to access the page by item name.

~FILIUS
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2008-12-15 10:15:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Friends don't let friends alla
 Unicorn.Claquesous
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Claquesous 2008-12-15 10:28:59
Link | Quote | Reply

ffxiclopedia has discussion pages which are appropriate for the kind of content you seem to be desiring. Were you aware they existed?
 Gilgamesh.Filiuslunae
By Gilgamesh.Filiuslunae 2008-12-15 13:23:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Claquesous said:
ffxiclopedia has discussion pages which are appropriate for the kind of content you seem to be desiring. Were you aware they existed?

Certainly. Refer to number 2 of my original post.

Frobeus said:
Friends don't let friends alla

What do you mean? Allakhazam is not only a recognized premier FFXI website, but is also a useful resource, whose item pages are sometimes overlooked due to its various forums, its most popular attraction.

~FILIUS
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2008-12-15 14:45:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I suppose if you look hard enough through all the garbage of Alla you can find good information, but linking people to a site filled with so much missinformation isn't really a good idea imo. Also "Allakhazam is a recognized premier FFXI website" = so?
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
Server: Fenrir
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2008-12-15 15:55:42
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXIclopedia seems to be sufficient for our users.
 Gilgamesh.Filiuslunae
By Gilgamesh.Filiuslunae 2008-12-15 16:36:42
Link | Quote | Reply

>.> I will reiterate: the Alla pages are useful for the player commentary they contain. "Commentary" would imply here that there are opinions, anecdotes, assumptions, impressions and speculation, not following any formal orders of formatting. I didn't think there would be animosity towards Allakhazam as a resource. Personally, I find it very useful, but, I suppose that could be subjective. Fair enough.

Now that idea #2 has been fed to the vultures, what about item number 1 on my original post?

~FILIUS
 Leviathan.Aeneas
Server: Leviathan
user: Aeneas
By Leviathan.Aeneas 2008-12-15 20:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

regarding #2, i dont think linking to alla item pages would be very useful. many of the comments are very old, frequently over 1 year old. discussions on such-n-such gear's stats are usually guesses/estimates on how much better or worse the item is compared to another. if someone is interested in some piece of armor, they would be best off reading a bit of the job subforum for the job they're playing.
 Hades.Triet
Server: Hades
user: Sirseiko
By Hades.Triet 2008-12-16 11:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up, but about your first request, how when you add someone to your friendslist on ffxi it is a 2-way street where the receiver has to accept and what not, but what I am trying to get at is "what if the person you want to add to their friendlist hasn't registered on ffxiah.com or they are just paranoid about registering on the site because of the fear of being hacked or w/e" I,m not saying this site will be hacked but I mean you know. . .>_>
 Unicorn.Claquesous
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Claquesous 2008-12-16 14:14:41
Link | Quote | Reply

In my experience, the player commentary on ffxiclopedia is much more current, well organized, and well informed.

#1 sounds like a good recommendation. Friends may not necessarily have to be approved on each end, but it would be nice to know who has "friended" me. I'm not sure if that feature currently exists.
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2008-12-16 14:55:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I somewhat agree with the OP here; I sometimes go to Alla (very rarely) if I want to see other people's experiences with drops of a certain item or whatnot compared to my own.

Alla is definitely not a site to be overlooked, despite its bad rep with all the drama. FFXIclopedia.com may be cleaner and simpler in terms of wanting to obtain a general idea as to drop rate and other bits of OBJECTIVE information, but Allakhazam.com provides the SUBJECTIVE side, which provides its advantages to players seeking that sort of information.

Then again, most things such as drop rates on FFXI are /random (pun intended; think dice-roll system in D&D), whose rolls are affected by, say, TH1-4.

OH, and as for #1, I agree, I keep forgetting to add my own ls mates to my friendslist at times XD Sorry guys :<
 Remora.Devek
Server: Remora
user: devek
By Remora.Devek 2008-12-20 13:27:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Allakhazam is worthless and has no value.

It is not because of drama(I <3 drama), it is because the information there is so incredibly worthless and it is moderated by people who have no idea how the game works(their users).