Why Is It So Difficult To Criticize Islam Without Angrying It Deeply?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Why is it so difficult to criticize Islam without angrying it deeply?
Why is it so difficult to criticize Islam without angrying it deeply?
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20 ... 21 22 23
By Trebold 2010-05-04 08:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiiroh said:
18 pages? seriously?
People can't stfu already?

Nice, the very same attitude which got us to question why Muslims are like this. "No criticism about my religion! Period!" I've read the word "ignorant" many many times in the Qu'ran, I wonder exactly how many times it's used. Seems like it doles out a lot of judgments to believers as well as non-believers.
Keiya said:

There will always be a forcing veils as long as a lot of scholars see it as a must, by veils I mean the face veils not hijab the head one , the head veils are must 100%.

In my country most women who do put face veils they put it after getting married , it started to become more than cultural matter than religion. But if you look to Saudi arabia for example most women if not all puts face veils.

Anyway married men tend to tell or force their wives to wear Niqab (the one that shows two eyes only) Since they don't want anyone to see their faces.

If the head veil is not worn in your country, what is the result? Imprisonment? Fine? Or just some dirty looks from the neighbors? How about if you show up to a mosque and continue not to wear your hijab?
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-05-04 08:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

you guys and your worthless religious views. Don't you all understand that this is a thread about cats...
[+]
By Keiya 2010-05-04 08:40:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Trebold:

Imprisonment? Not even a chance. After all she's responsible about her action no one will harm her (maybe her family does tho depends on what type of family she have)

dirty look? Sure! but only for gulf people , if the girl arabian (not from middle east but other countries) they would get less dirty look wonder why.

About showing to mosque well most women here in my country don't go to mosque since they can pray at house so I really have no idea about this :)
By Trebold 2010-05-04 08:42:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Jetzabel said:
Trebold, may I ask what your standpoint is? Are you religious etc.? I'm still not very sure even after the last topic ><

Actually, the fact whether I am religious, non-religious, Muslim, now non-Muslim, would have nothing to do with debate. All that is needed is some understanding about a subject, in order to ask a question, otherwise how could you ask about something you had no understanding of. It's like me asking you about a planet that may or may not exist outside of our solar system, asking if you think they have a new element called 'Traniox' there. But on something that you can understand, imagine if school teachers for 8-year-old children would deter talking about math simply because the child didn't know the insides and outs of it.
By Trebold 2010-05-04 08:50:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Keiya said:
Trebold:

Imprisonment? Not even a chance. After all she's responsible about her action no one will harm her (maybe her family does tho depends on what type of family she have)

dirty look? Sure! but only for gulf people , if the girl arabian (not from middle east but other countries) they would get less dirty look wonder why.

About showing to mosque well most women here in my country don't go to mosque since they can pray at house so I really have no idea about this :)

And Kuwait has a very innocuous law, as you've said before, right?

I'm guessing the reason the people from outside the Middle East would get less dirty looks is because "they don't know better", whereas they expect the Arabian girl to already have these kinds of morals. It's the same thing observed of visitors to Japan, while a Japanese person would be expected to take their shoes off in people's homes, outsiders may or may not know these cultural boundaries.
By Trebold 2010-05-04 09:00:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Jetzabel said:
Trebold said:
Asura.Jetzabel said:
Trebold, may I ask what your standpoint is? Are you religious etc.? I'm still not very sure even after the last topic ><

Actually, the fact whether I am religious, non-religious, Muslim, now non-Muslim, would have nothing to do with debate. All that is needed is some understanding about a subject, in order to ask a question, otherwise how could you ask about something you had no understanding of. It's like me asking you about a planet that may or may not exist outside of our solar system, asking if you think they have a new element called 'Traniox' there. But on something that you can understand, imagine if school teachers for 8-year-old children would deter talking about math simply because the child didn't know the insides and outs of it.

Um...

I have no idea what your position is in these topics though - how is it possible to 'debate' with someone if you do not know their position? I asked because when I read your posts, I've not been able to determine what your purpose in the topics is.

Edit: In other words, do you agree with the OP? Do you think Islamic people are all offended deeply and easily? If so do you think that is wrong? Etc.
All I have seen from your posts is general information/pointing to or quoting scripture/bouncing from one side to another.

What's the purpose of any discussion forum other than to educate oneself and others? If I completely agree with one thing or another, then I'm just being closed-minded. I don't really believe that you can label the human mind as "one thing". To be blunt, to group me into a generalization would be putting me into a box and locking me away in your mind. But the people who do group themselves AS something, they are expected to be compared with their peers. Which in a way, is kind of what we're talking about here. "If you consider yourself among other Muslims, than why have you learned something from Islam that is so radically different than what some others have learned?"

People will answer, "Well, I believe.. this and this", and his neighbor will answer, "No, it's like this". So really, being a Muslim doesn't even define a person at all. You would need millions of definitions for Muslims or Christians or Jews or Hindus or Shinto-practitioners or Wiccans or Buddhists. But in the whole scheme of things, we're all human.
 Phoenix.Darki
Server: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-04 09:05:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
wurd.
I'm atheist and i dont look down on others beliefs, but i do look down on those that try to impose them and make up arguments with me as if trying to proove my own wrong. anyways a good religious mature debate is always nice, as long as both parties respect.

I missed the part where someone is forcing you to become Muslim, because you sure are doing a lot of mud flinging towards a religion you're not even a part of. But since atheism is "easier to follow anyways," I wouldn't expect a mature decision on religion to come from you anyway.

PS: "pwned"

Quote:
I just don't get why a religion should be given a special status.

I don't get why you think you're so special because you're an atheist.

The world may never know....

lol dude you just /raged at me for no reason at all.
I wasnt pointing a finger at anyone that was forcing me into THAT religion to start with, I was giving an example. chillax, dont be so aggressive :P otherwise people wont take your argument seriously.
By Trebold 2010-05-04 09:16:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Jetzabel said:
Trebold said:
Asura.Jetzabel said:
Trebold said:
Asura.Jetzabel said:

Um...

I have no idea what your position is in these topics though - how is it possible to 'debate' with someone if you do not know their position? I asked because when I read your posts, I've not been able to determine what your purpose in the topics is.

Edit: In other words, do you agree with the OP? Do you think Islamic people are all offended deeply and easily? If so do you think that is wrong? Etc.
All I have seen from your posts is general information/pointing to or quoting scripture/bouncing from one side to another.

What's the purpose of any discussion forum other than to educate oneself and others? If I completely agree with one thing or another, then I'm just being closed-minded. I don't really believe that you can label the human mind as "one thing". To be blunt, to group me into a generalization would be putting me into a box and locking me away in your mind. But the people who do group themselves AS something, they are expected to be compared with their peers. Which in a way, is kind of what we're talking about here. "If you consider yourself among other Muslims, than why have you learned something from Islam that is so radically different than what some others have learned?"

People will answer, "Well, I believe.. this and this", and his neighbor will answer, "No, it's like this". So really, being a Muslim doesn't even define a person at all. You would need millions of definitions for Muslims or Christians or Jews or Hindus or Shinto-practitioners or Wiccans or Buddhists. But in the whole scheme of things, we're all human.

Clearly you are missing the point of my question.

Additionally, I find your last comment rather hypocritical. In the previous topic I used that line of thought (we are all human) more than a few times, including after I sarcastically remarked at the prospect of another un-winnable debate over christians versus muslims, to which you told me I was just trolling.

You call this a debate, yet you claim to have no side and it would be wrong for me to ask what your viewpoint is. So now I ask again, why are you in the topic if not to debate some kind of viewpoint? I have not labelled myself to any single group, I am me and I am individual - but there is no such thing as being completely neutral. I want to know what your overall aim in posting is. Most people won't even read all your posts, if at all - so the education thing is a moot point.

It's not wrong of you to ask at all. You're more than welcome to ask me, even if it be fifty times a day. :) It doesn't affect the fact that I'm going to remain open-minded about subjects. Whether people read my posts is there prerogative as well, I never forced anyone to believe me, and though some may beg to differ: no one else has a right to force beliefs on others either.

I have not labeled myself to any single group, I am me and I am individual, I am not completely neutral, but as you've said my stance is a moot point. ;)
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-04 09:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
you guys and your worthless religious views. Don't you all understand that this is a thread about cats...

lulz.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-04 09:24:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Jetzabel said:
Trebold said:
but as you've said my stance is a moot point. ;)

Taking that out of context! /poke

From how I understand it, there are two people in these topics that matter. People who get involved but are very narrow in thinking and can't be swayed, and people who discuss things to learn and understand/discuss the reasons behind something.

It seems like you are the latter. But it is hard to participate fully with you without knowing a little more about you or how you feel about things. Does that not make sense? Right now you seem like nothing more than a collector/teller of knowledge, and person who adds more issues in for other people to discuss and you observe.

you really sound like you lost your patience ~.~
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-04 09:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Jetzabel said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Asura.Jetzabel said:
Trebold said:

From how I understand it, there are two people in these topics that matter. People who get involved but are very narrow in thinking and can't be swayed, and people who discuss things to learn and understand/discuss the reasons behind something.

It seems like you are the latter. But it is hard to participate fully with you without knowing a little more about you or how you feel about things. Does that not make sense? Right now you seem like nothing more than a collector/teller of knowledge, and person who adds more issues in for other people to discuss and you observe.

How so? lol Is this a case of "Why is it so difficult to ask something seriously without someone accusing you of being angry?" =p

whut?
By Trebold 2010-05-04 09:34:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Jetzabel said:
Trebold said:

It seems like you are the latter. But it is hard to participate fully with you without knowing a little more about you or how you feel about things. Does that not make sense? Right now you seem like nothing more than a collector/teller of knowledge, and a person who adds more issues in for other people to discuss and you observe.

Wow, that's actually a very good description of me. I'd say it was learned as a child, being the youngest of my family with two older sisters. I got away without having to talk much, but rather watch how things played out. When I got older, I'd contribute enough to get the ball rolling in conversation, but still reverting back to being an observer rather than a participant. I know that is just me talking about myself, but I felt like you might like to hear me say that you're right about that.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-04 09:36:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:

this thread is about cats.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Server: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-05-04 09:44:19
Link | Quote | Reply

stupid Quotes not working. Men are financially responsible in the house. He is in charge in paying all the bills and making some of the decision but the wife also has a word in it. Girls can leave their husband if he is abusive. Again, abusive husband are either the regular *** like we have in the West or someone that follows cultural practices, the religion just gives the husband "leader(finance/decision)" in the home but if one day the wife decides she does not like your choices she can leave. People might think that undermines girls rights but it actually makes life easy and forces a guy not to be a hobo and force his wife to pay for everything.... and divorce does exist so there
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-04 09:53:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Thunderz said:
stupid Quotes not working. Men are financially responsible in the house. He is in charge in paying all the bills and making some of the decision but the wife also has a word in it. Girls can leave their husband if he is abusive. Again, abusive husband are either the regular *** like we have in the West or someone that follows cultural practices, the religion just gives the husband "leader(finance/decision)" in the home but if one day the wife decides she does not like your choices she can leave. People might think that undermines girls rights but it actually makes life easy and forces a guy not to be a hobo and force his wife to pay for everything.... and divorce does exist so there

rawr you from that culture i guess?
I like that, do the women get accepted back into their own families even after they leave their husbands for those kind of reasons?
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-05-04 09:57:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
Ramuh.Thunderz said:

I like that, do the women get accepted back into their own families even after they leave their husbands for those kind of reasons?

Yes and if the family refuses to accept her back they are in the wrong and are thinking of Cultural BS or thinking of their "Honor" Cultural practices in country blending in religion is really a on-going problem. Also I don't follow Culture only word-4-word the book
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-04 09:59:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like this debate isn't even worth trolling.
Wait...
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-05-04 10:01:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Wait...

you follow the religion of pokemon

and pikachu created the clouds and lightning
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-04 10:02:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Thunderz said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Wait...

you follow the religion of pokemon

and pikachu created the clouds and lightning

I bet it wouldn't create a 19 page debate either!
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-05-04 10:02:27
Link | Quote | Reply

no it would have exploded into a pokemon battle
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-04 10:02:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Jetzabel said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Asura.Jetzabel said:
How so? lol Is this a case of "Why is it so difficult to ask something seriously without someone accusing you of being angry?" =p
Phoenix.Darki said:
whut?

Still not making sense? lol

not really.

Ramuh.Thunderz said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Ramuh.Thunderz said:

Yes and if the family refuses to accept her back they are in the wrong and are thinking of Cultural BS or thinking of their "Honor" Cultural practices in country blending in religion is really a on-going problem. Also I don't follow Culture only word-4-word the book

I see. You guys have a very unique culture, It must be strict living under it but also surrounded by all that beauty you guys surround yourselves. I really do appreciate it from an outside point of view.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-05-04 10:08:06
Link | Quote | Reply

replace culture with religion its getting me confused >.>

I don't follow My country's Culture. I only follow the words of the Qu'ran (and its hadith)

There multiple cultures in different country's or different tribes. Each having their own though on how they lead their life but some of those people are Muslim and they also integrate culture practices in the religion and that cause a lot of misconception about the religion.

Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-04 10:09:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Thunderz said:
replace culture with religion its getting me confused >.>

I don't follow My country's Culture. I only follow the words of the Qu'ran (and its hadith)

There multiple cultures in different country's or different tribes. Each having their own though on how they lead their life but some of those people are Muslim and they also integrate culture practices in the religion and that cause a lot of misconception about the religion.

I've always thought religion comes with culture vice/versa, but I wouldnt know over-there, I don't know much about your religion other than some details, about your artistic cultural aspects I do know alot.
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20 ... 21 22 23