Why Is It So Difficult To Criticize Islam Without Angrying It Deeply?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Why is it so difficult to criticize Islam without angrying it deeply?
Why is it so difficult to criticize Islam without angrying it deeply?
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 ... 21 22 23
By Keiya 2010-05-03 22:27:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
I have a question, right now I'm actually watching a series about arabic culture and what not... they just said something about the celebration of the virgin, when a woman marries and she has sex with her husband and the sheets are stained, she is worthy of being his wife, but i dont understand something though, how is that possible? its prooven today that not every woman bleeds on her first time, hymens can break beforehand, when I had my first time I didn't bleed.
so how does that work? though just asking, im not questioning and I expect a mature answer, thankyou.

I missed this part on how it actually can be done , first time he gets alone with her , he checks if she's virgin or not by trying to break her hymen (finger or his thing) then he looks to see if there are some blood or not.

If she bleed then he continue ..

if she didn't , well that depends if he have enough knowledge he will understand that bleeding isn't prove , if he doesn't have that knowledge he will tell her to go home to her father and mother lol probably divorce.

My friend got married few years ago. She was afraid that she lost her hymen back in school because she played a sport and happen to fall and bleed from there .. she told her husband (or rather the man whose going to be her husband) about this. He didn't believe her and told her "we will see". After wedding ceremony they went to hotel/ closed door/tried to break her hymen (yes yes no preparation @ all ) , guess what she actually bleed and he cried (seriously) then he told her : Don't blame me a lot of guys do the same!

I also heard of another girl who didn't bleed , the guy got angry took her to her family and told them , they took her to doctor then they figured out that she doesn't have hymen from the very beginning. Of course the guy tried to get her back but she said "my pride as woman won't allow me to go back to him" or something like that.
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2010-05-03 22:27:33
Link | Quote | Reply

While I was raised in a religious environment, I was always under the impression that somehow, if I really studied hard, I would be able to find evidence for the beliefs I was being asked to accept. I kept being told it was okay to question stuff, but whenever I did... the answer would be "question, but not too much" ... I'm not afraid of mistakes anymore, if I'm wrong, someone will correct me and life will go on. Because of my background, perhaps I'm a bit zealous in trying to make people see the problems within their perfect religion. But I'm not asking anyone to believe me based on assumptions. If you listen and it makes sense to you, improve it. Knowledge isn't better because it's older, ideas are meant to be improved. Now... if you want to improve religion, be my guest... would be nice for a change.

Sorry if what some of what I say looks pretentious. I'm just a guy on the Internet typing stuff that bothers you SO MUCH that you actually have to reply something to it. But if you're going to say I'm wrong, at least try to reply sentences that help me understand you. Yes? Not like:

Non-religious : How do you prove that God exists?

Religious: Atheists are just like a religion. They believe in non-belief.

Non-religious : Can you answer my question?

Religious: You can't prove that God doesn't exist.

Atheist: Do you at least have "some" evidence?

Religious : Oh you're so rude, talking about my religion, you know... I think I'll just go away.

This is pretty much the only kind of comments I've seen from Muslims so far and and it's quite disappointing. Where's the debate? If it's supposed to be the ultimate truth isn't it supposed to be super easy to demonstrate? I'm tired of the usual "you don't know us so stop talking about us we're nice people not women-beating terrorists". I know you're not a psychopath, you're playing FF XI duh... But don't wonder why no one understands you. You keep doing this and no one will ever understand. Or could it be that you actually prefer it this way...?
[+]
By semimmortal 2010-05-03 22:39:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Religious : How do you prove that God doesn't exist?

Atheist: Religion is false. How can they believe in such things.

Religious: Can you answer my question?

Atheist : You can't prove that God does exist.

Religious : Do you at least have "some" evidence?

Atheist : Oh you're so rude, talking about my religion, you know... I think I'll just go away.
cwatididthar? STFU.
All this thread did from the beginning is a cycle of repeated debates that was mentioned and answered multiple times.

Only thing I see that was accomplished was you being butthurt over the religious people.
Don't believe in their beliefs? Turn the other way and keep walking...
[+]
 Ragnarok.Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2010-05-03 22:42:17
Link | Quote | Reply

semimmortal said:
Turn the other way and keep walking...

That was kind of cheap... :)
Considering you're on the 17th page of this thread, still posting.
[+]
By Trebold 2010-05-03 22:45:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Keiya said:
Asura.Korpg said:
Ragnarok.Action said:
Rafik i said this before and ill say it again, our book dont say put mask on woman face... and u say under like we put our womans in boxes..

Then why do you demand your women to put veils on and say its for religion?

Because they do believe its from religion , that what they understand from holy quran and sonah :

The holy quran actually stated single line regarding this matter but some schools understand it in a way that its a must to put veils, others understand in opposite way.

Al-Nur (I am muslim myself so I know about this)

024.031 And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards God, that ye may attain Bliss.

However the bold part doesn't have to be the prove that Quran saying its a must (Some people understand that this line means hiding the face , others understand that this line mean Hijab the one you put on hair only)

different understanding to this matter leads to two possible groups:

1) group that believe its a must to cover entire body except face/hand
2) group that believe its a must to cover entire body but one eye or both eyes

Both can be right (You have the right to choose since its not quran/religion matter but schools understanding (different mathaheb))

For the second group their reason that woman might be too beautiful that would make people staring , by people they don't mean non-muslims only but muslims too (some old men do stare alot more than young ones lol)

perhaps this link is useful:

http://muttaqun.com/niqab.html

for married women if putting niqab/veils make the husband pleased then its better for her to do so , in this matter its not for the sake of religion but for the sake of her husband (hope you get what I am trying to say here).

oh, semiimortal, did you catch this? Because that's the same verse I was talking about that you wouldn't dare accept.
By semimmortal 2010-05-03 22:48:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Psyence said:
semimmortal said:
Quote:
Religious : How do you prove that God doesn't exist?

Atheist: Religion is false. How can they believe in such things.

Religious: Can you answer my question?

Atheist : You can't prove that God does exist.

Religious : Do you at least have "some" evidence?

Atheist : Oh you're so rude, talking about my religion, you know... I think I'll just go away.
cwatididthar? STFU.
All this thread did from the beginning is a cycle of repeated debates that was mentioned and answered multiple times.

Only thing I see that was accomplished was you being butthurt over the religious people.
Don't believe in their beliefs? Turn the other way and keep walking...

That was kind of cheap... :)
Would be cheaper for me to not post at all to this thread.
But I had to! It's like watching a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE child playing in the middle of the road.
Opps?
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Server: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-05-03 22:51:01
Link | Quote | Reply

btw like in every country there is some sort of local "culture" that people follow. You need to know the religion like the back of your hand to filter out those cultural practices.... they are also the cause for certain misconception in the muslim community. Like how that Huge *** Burka (the thing covering the girls face all the way to her feet) is Cultural... there is a debate about this with Big scholars but for the time being this is not required by the religion >.> its "optional" and some cultures Demands it. its just one example...could name a few but I just got back from work and yall will tl:dr if I write anymore.
By semimmortal 2010-05-03 22:53:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Trebold said:
Keiya said:
Asura.Korpg said:
Ragnarok.Action said:
Rafik i said this before and ill say it again, our book dont say put mask on woman face... and u say under like we put our womans in boxes..

Then why do you demand your women to put veils on and say its for religion?

Because they do believe its from religion , that what they understand from holy quran and sonah :

The holy quran actually stated single line regarding this matter but some schools understand it in a way that its a must to put veils, others understand in opposite way.

Al-Nur (I am muslim myself so I know about this)

024.031 And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards God, that ye may attain Bliss.

However the bold part doesn't have to be the prove that Quran saying its a must (Some people understand that this line means hiding the face , others understand that this line mean Hijab the one you put on hair only)

different understanding to this matter leads to two possible groups:

1) group that believe its a must to cover entire body except face/hand
2) group that believe its a must to cover entire body but one eye or both eyes

Both can be right (You have the right to choose since its not quran/religion matter but schools understanding (different mathaheb))

For the second group their reason that woman might be too beautiful that would make people staring , by people they don't mean non-muslims only but muslims too (some old men do stare alot more than young ones lol)

perhaps this link is useful:

http://muttaqun.com/niqab.html

for married women if putting niqab/veils make the husband pleased then its better for her to do so , in this matter its not for the sake of religion but for the sake of her husband (hope you get what I am trying to say here).

oh, semiimortal, did you catch this? Because that's the same verse I was talking about that you wouldn't dare accept.
From the site posted in that quote:
Quote:
O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils)* all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
Quote:
*the arabic word here is Jalabeeb (plural of Jalbaab), which is the loose outer garment that covers all a woman's body. It says here to use the Jalabeeb to cover all, and scholars say this means to use it to cover her head (agree upon by all scholars) and her face (agreed by many scholars, not all) and one or both eyes, in order for it to be known that she is a free woman and so not to be exposed to any harm.
All muslims require their ladies to cover their faces too right? Gotcha. /sarcasm
Not sure anymore why you're trying to defend your posts, but meh.

It was mentioned that it's not to look down on women, but to- aaah *** it, I hate broken recorders.

No you're right. It's demoralizing!
By Trebold 2010-05-03 22:56:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Thunderz said:
btw like in every country there is some sort of local "culture" that people follow. You need to know the religion like the back of your hand to filter out those cultural practices.... they are also the cause for certain misconception in the muslim community. Like how that Huge *** Burka (the thing covering the girls face all the way to her feet) is Cultural... there is a debate about this with Big scholars but for the time being this is not required by the religion >.> its "optional" and some cultures Demands it. its just one example...could name a few but I just got back from work and yall will tl:dr if I write anymore.

Yes, but the thing is. The scholars use these verses from the Qu'ran to support their claim, even if the verses are cryptic. This just causes a never ending cycle of "our religion says so, so our culture will remain this way". Or, "based on our culture, this is probably what the religion meant".
 Ragnarok.Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2010-05-03 22:57:03
Link | Quote | Reply

semimmortal said:
Would be cheaper for me to not post at all to this thread.
It would actually be nice if you replied things that serve the discussion. I'm asking why it's so difficult to talk about Islam without offending deeply. I'm not even putting you down. My OP was actually an attempt at understanding the link between your culture and your religion, because 90% of my experiences with Islam ended up with someone hyperventilating (breathing very quickly) and defending himself, whenever I even touched the subject, even before I became an atheist. It also seems I'm not the only one. It proves that I'm thinking about it, and that I'm trying to figure what's up. Let me guess, you didn't even read it? You just assumed it would be insulting?
[+]
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-05-03 23:03:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Trebold said:
Ramuh.Thunderz said:

Yes, but the thing is. The scholars use these verses from the Qu'ran to support their claim, even if the verses are cryptic. This just causes a never ending cycle of "our religion says so, so our culture will remain this way". Or, "based on our culture, this is probably what the religion meant".

Taking the Qu'ran word for word is not correct. That is why there is the Qu'ran and the Hadith (or Sunna) that explains how the prophet implemented the rules of Qu'ran into his day 2 day life. The 2 work hand in hand and again I strongly suggest working with a trust worthy person when studying this since there is people who wrote "fake" Hadith after they failed trying to modify the Qu'ran. But yeah I get what you mean
 Phoenix.Darki
Server: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-03 23:05:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Keiya said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
I have a question, right now I'm actually watching a series about arabic culture and what not... they just said something about the celebration of the virgin, when a woman marries and she has sex with her husband and the sheets are stained, she is worthy of being his wife, but i dont understand something though, how is that possible? its prooven today that not every woman bleeds on her first time, hymens can break beforehand, when I had my first time I didn't bleed.
so how does that work? though just asking, im not questioning and I expect a mature answer, thankyou.

I missed this part on how it actually can be done , first time he gets alone with her , he checks if she's virgin or not by trying to break her hymen (finger or his thing) then he looks to see if there are some blood or not.

If she bleed then he continue ..

if she didn't , well that depends if he have enough knowledge he will understand that bleeding isn't prove , if he doesn't have that knowledge he will tell her to go home to her father and mother lol probably divorce.

My friend got married few years ago. She was afraid that she lost her hymen back in school because she played a sport and happen to fall and bleed from there .. she told her husband (or rather the man whose going to be her husband) about this. He didn't believe her and told her "we will see". After wedding ceremony they went to hotel/ closed door/tried to break her hymen (yes yes no preparation @ all ) , guess what she actually bleed and he cried (seriously) then he told her : Don't blame me a lot of guys do the same!

I also heard of another girl who didn't bleed , the guy got angry took her to her family and told them , they took her to doctor then they figured out that she doesn't have hymen from the very beginning. Of course the guy tried to get her back but she said "my pride as woman won't allow me to go back to him" or something like that.

I see, poor women of that culture, have to go through that pressure and even when they fail miserably at it for some natural cause they get degraded.

Atheism FTW.
By semimmortal 2010-05-03 23:07:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a Christian actually... or used to be one. Not really though. Just the person that can tell the difference between right and wrong without people/books telling me.

Anyways. Why I'm pretty upset with your posts is that you're actually generalizing a specific group of people. 90%? lololol
yeah, assuming you've met 90 muslims out of a 100 and discussed with them...

Same goes with Atheists. 100% of the atheists I've talked to (cwatididthar?) are always looking down on other people with beliefs.

Which brings up a question... Why would you want to criticize others based on their beliefs? Do you need to go after the JPs next for bowing? Do you need to go after Rap music next because it's not music according to most people?
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-05-03 23:09:54
Link | Quote | Reply

ummm...what are you on about.

Girls in the Western world gotta face the pressure to look a certain way or they will be shunned. all ways of life have a up and down side trying to show yours off as the best is just stupid. You do know having alcohol legal kills thousands of people either on the road or crime related...ruins family and individual lifes. So go Islam?? jeez dude
By Keiya 2010-05-03 23:13:38
Link | Quote | Reply

semimmortal said:
Trebold said:

From the site posted in that quote:
Quote:
O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils)* all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
Quote:
*the arabic word here is Jalabeeb (plural of Jalbaab), which is the loose outer garment that covers all a woman's body. It says here to use the Jalabeeb to cover all, and scholars say this means to use it to cover her head (agree upon by all scholars) and her face (agreed by many scholars, not all) and one or both eyes, in order for it to be known that she is a free woman and so not to be exposed to any harm.
All muslims require their ladies to cover their faces too right? Gotcha. /sarcasm
Not sure anymore why you're trying to defend your posts, but meh.

It was mentioned that it's not to look down on women, but to- aaah *** it, I hate broken recorders.

No you're right. It's demoralizing!

Notice they write the head part agreed by all scholars but the face part by many not all

To make showing face absolute forbidden ALL scholars have to agree otherwise it remains optional for woman to cover or not

And that's why many Islamic countries don't have veils a must
By Trebold 2010-05-03 23:14:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bowing is a respectful thing towards others. Putting them in a higher position than yourself. Humility, even.

"The young rice stalk stands straight and tall, but the mature one, bows low."

Rap music is freedom of speech, nobody forced people to make rap music, they simply do it.

Wearing veils, on the other hand, is something that is forced, and is not done out of humility. It's one-sided as well, "only women have to cover up". Are you really comparing these things to each other?

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-03 23:17:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a Christian actually... or used to be one. Not really though. Just the person that can tell the difference between right and wrong without people/books telling me.

Anyways. Why I'm pretty upset with your posts is that you're actually generalizing a specific group of people. 90%? lololol
yeah, assuming you've met 90 muslims out of a 100 and discussed with them...

Same goes with Atheists. 100% of the atheists I've talked to (cwatididthar?) are always looking down on other people with beliefs.

Which brings up a question... Why would you want to criticize others based on their beliefs? Do you need to go after the JPs next for bowing? Do you need to go after Rap music next because it's not music according to most people?

^^^

listen Semimmortal, listen right there, you are generalizing yourself on atheists, so dont generalize if your gonna critisize generalizing, kay? kay.
By semimmortal 2010-05-03 23:21:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Keiya said:
Notice they write the head part agreed by all scholars but the face part by many not all

To make showing face absolute forbidden ALL scholars have to agree otherwise it remains optional for woman to cover or not

Trebold said:
Wearing veils, on the other hand, is something that is forced, and is not done out of humility. It's one-sided as well, "only women have to cover up". Are you really comparing these things to each other?
I'm confused now... So it's a must? Or is it optional?
Also, I've explained why they don the thing. A few pages back.
Which is the main reason why I'm regretting to post back here ><
By semimmortal 2010-05-03 23:22:36
Link | Quote | Reply

@Darki: sorry, quotes are randomly failing. But that was meant for Psyence. What I was trying to say (by making a silly example in my post) is generalizing people is not the way to go.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-05-03 23:24:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Mabrook said:
Like I said in my previous posts, religion is not harm. It is satin who you should be afraid of, the brother of Adam.

I hope the end doesn't happen in my life...

1000 Earth years is one day in heaven. So all we can do is have patience I suppose. I mean, not every body ia bad and bad can be considered all types of ways.

It's just how bad is your bad is considered by God, the responsiblity as a human to confront God at his mightier power.

If Islam became everything, there would be no responsiblity, so this is what is to happen.

The never ending debate of it's not my fault lol.

what? tbh I didn't get it

Trebold said:
Bowing is a respectful thing towards others. Putting them in a higher position than yourself. Humility, even.

"The young rice stalk stands straight and tall, but the mature one, bows low."

Rap music is freedom of speech, nobody forced people to make rap music, they simply do it.

actually wearing the "hijab" or head veil is recommended in the religion but is not "Forced" again this is a cultural thing when someone "Forces" that on the women. bowing imo is showing your inferior to someone else. Also, men have to cover up as well this is not one sided stop trying to argue on something you know nothing about. "I heard this on CNN It must be true??!!!." so do all Atheist watch CNN/FOX news and believe like their own little bible O.O (j/k) but yeah your totally a troll
By Trebold 2010-05-03 23:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

semimmortal said:
Keiya said:

Trebold said:

Many: "not all". Implicitly stating, there are those which do force veils. lol, I can only imagine the kind of person you are in real life.. I'm guessing the kid who sits in class constantly trying to find ways to correct the professor. And everyone else just sighs aloud when they see you raise your hand.
By Keiya 2010-05-03 23:31:30
Link | Quote | Reply

semimmortal said:
Keiya said:

Trebold said:

As I said earlier the same versus , can and cannot prove the veil a must or not , different schools understand in both ways (one way its a must others not) due to their translation. That's why scholars have to decide by looking to Quran/Sunnah. As the site said all scholars agreed to head but not all of them agreed to face.

See the problem with veil shape and what it covers , which wasn't mentioned in Quran but need to look further in sunnah

So bottom line : Yes people will use this verses but its not enough so then scholars have to agree (which they did for head) that the face is a must (which many did but not all).
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-05-03 23:34:02
Link | Quote | Reply

that reply doesn't answer anything. Scholars need to discuss over the subject. Since this is a ongoing discussion there is no ruling over it. "optional" is where its at now. Scholars are not rulers of nations, they are people who study religion for a living (yes I had to stop and explain it to you since you clearly dont get it)

lemme put it in words your familiar with, Durka Durka Jihad

By Trebold 2010-05-03 23:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Durka Durka? Durka Durka Mohammad Jihad
By semimmortal 2010-05-03 23:35:43
Link | Quote | Reply

lol
 Seraph.Rafik
Server: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-05-03 23:36:09
Link | Quote | Reply

hi captain...
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-03 23:36:16
Link | Quote | Reply

semimmortal said:
@Darki: sorry, quotes are randomly failing. But that was meant for Psyence. What I was trying to say (by making a silly example in my post) is generalizing people is not the way to go.

wurd.
I'm atheist and i dont look down on others beliefs, but i do look down on those that try to impose them and make up arguments with me as if trying to proove my own wrong. anyways a good religious mature debate is always nice, as long as both parties respect.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-05-03 23:38:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
semimmortal said:

wurd.
I'm atheist and i dont look down on others beliefs, but i do look down on those that try to impose them and make up arguments with me as if trying to proove my own wrong. anyways a good religious mature debate is always nice, as long as both parties respect.

if both parties leave the debate having learned something new then everyone wins

except the HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE people...damn HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE people

:P

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 ... 21 22 23