users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Bard » BRD/RDM?
BRD/RDM?
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-18 01:55:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Simply put, Is it worth subbing rdm for the fast cast II on brd?

I understand that WHM is more useful for support heals and Nin is essential if you're pulling, but if you're just buffing and healing isn't a problem is it worth subbing rdm?

If anyone has any idea of the song spellcasting down time with Fast cast II I'd be happy too.

Thanks.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-18 02:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I've seen brds do it before. It has it's uses I suppose
 Gilgamesh.Nezea
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Nezea
By Gilgamesh.Nezea 2010-04-18 09:21:52
Link | Quote | Reply

In general I would say no.

The main reason I say this is in first place it's not too hard for BRD to get close to fast cast cap using equipment alone.

Also, if you're not in the situation where you're pulling in a merit party, fast cast normally isn't -really- important..it's still nice to have but not worth sacrificing the extra support you get with /WHM (-na, Erase, Curaga, Divine Seal, and the extra MP which actually makes a big difference for a BRD).

I guess it depends what exactly you mean by "healing isn't a problem." If you literally are never required to lift a finger in the healing department then I suppose you may as well /RDM but I can't think of any situation where you consistently never need to heal at all.

BRD is all about supporting your party and /RDM just doesn't have much to offer here. Most of the time if a BRD isn't healing it's because they're lazy and not because they shouldn't be.

Edit: if you still need to know, Fast Cast I+II will get you 15% reduced casting time and 7.5% reduced recast.
[+]
 Sylph.Spency
Server: Sylph
user: Spencyono
By Sylph.Spency 2010-04-18 09:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I only use /RDM for ISNM's really
 Leviathan.Dubont
Server: Leviathan
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-04-18 09:33:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Short answer: No

Ingame answer: lol wtf roflmao hahahah lulz noob *** brd. /nin onry

Sensible answer: Its a game...you pay for it...do w/e you want
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2010-04-18 09:40:33
Link | Quote | Reply

not for merit parties, which people seem to think that is what BRDs are only useful for.

Stuff like Einherjar, I would say yes. It has its uses in endgame situations where you don't need to make sure you have to have Elegy land, and are just a buffer BRD, and not there JUST for sleeps.
 Lakshmi.Ezzelin
Server: Lakshmi
user: ezzelin
By Lakshmi.Ezzelin 2010-04-18 14:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

It's good for curbstomping colibri and for fun. It's some of the most fun I've ever had on BRD. It takes using food, having some form of protect, and enjoying a highly aggressive playstyle. Blog URL in my FFXIAH comment has some thoughts on this choice.

In Einherjar I would suggest /WHM for -na spells, AoE cures, and Divine Seal.

And you know ... wherever else that's useful.

For your particular situation: How consistent is your group? If you know they can handle themselves without your backup, then maybe you can try it. You'll still be able to CureIII, but you have to be sure that faster casting and recast is the worst of your problems. I'm /WHM if I'm not at something elegy-resistant.
By Muffincannon 2010-04-20 02:40:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Korpg said:
Stuff like Einherjar

This is a touchy event, and depending upon how your LS handles it, some LSs like to cycle the bards full run, making /RDM viable for the extra fast cast on top of what you should be using (minstrel's ring, sha'ir/yigi manteel, rostrum, loq, fay knife) but that's only for consistent rotations.

otherwise, /whm will win out due to the ability to assist your mages with erases, -na spells and low cures.

for merit party if your the only brd /nin if your going with double bard and the other is pulling /whm still wins :3
By Handyandy 2010-04-20 03:15:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Brd/Rdm with full Fast Cast setup+ Haste if I have to buff a lot and do single targets. So basically mass events, when you are short brd's Trouble+Nighting+Soulvoice + I am one of maybe 2 brds buffing 3-4 parties, Fast Cast is essential.

For merits, No!

For other stuff out side of party rotation buffs, probably not either.

But hey, you do what ya want, it's your 12 bucks and your LS.
 Odin.Trelan
Server: Odin
user: trelan
By Odin.Trelan 2010-04-20 08:44:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I only /rdm for ISNM. Fast Cast is nice but the things you give up are more valuable in most cases.
 Cerberus.Lightvision
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Lightvision 2010-05-05 02:24:35
Link | Quote | Reply

the only subs you should use as BRD imo is /NIN for merits/pulling, /WHM for pretty much everything else, /BLM for situational stuff like HNM etc.