Thief Question....

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Thief question....
Thief question....
 Shiva.Weewoo
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-04-02 00:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's your answer

TLDR: Turban is better.
By Forsakengriever 2010-04-02 00:34:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally...I also use Denali Bonnet. :/ I mean...Idk the haste difference is small. I've heard that the turban is better too, but idk i just prefer denali.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-04-02 00:36:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Basically: Haste is godly in that it increases your overall DPS and WS frequency and has amazing results when compounded in larger amounts. The only reason haste should ever be sacrificed is if it's for needed accuracy on higher level mobs or to make up for your food of choice, which should rarely be the case since the introduction of pizza.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-02 00:37:44
Link | Quote | Reply

You forgot when you are constantly taking hits to the face
 Bismarck.Dricent
Server: Bismarck
user: Dricent
By Bismarck.Dricent 2010-04-02 00:42:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I read the other forum on it and all is see is ppl talking about dps whoop de freakin doo! What good is dps if you got charby or some other nm pounding on ur ***? In my opinion as a whole i would rather have the beneficial stats that bonnet gives over the 1%haste extra that turban gives to my thf. For all other jobs that can use though I totally agree turban is the better choice the main example being nin. Nins should always use walahra same for mnk. But for thf ima sticking with my bonnet and staying alive 30 seconds longer than that other thf thats getting his *** beat on by that mob.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-04-02 00:44:41
Link | Quote | Reply

If something is pounding on your *** as a thief, odds are you'd want the evasion benefit from Optical Hat over the bonnet. If anything the bonnet is a hybrid substitute for utsusemi casting while tanking or farming minor mobs where evasion builds aren't a necessity to tank.
 Bismarck.Dricent
By Bismarck.Dricent 2010-04-02 00:47:08
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah... and besides personally I dont really need the +1% haste to up my dps when I have other gear that well overcompensates for it. Telling someone they are retared for thinking Bonnet is better than turban is in among itself HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-02 00:48:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah seriously first of all if you are evasion tanking then evasion tank for god sake. If a bonnets evasion can do taht much for you another 5 will do even more. And if you are DDing then you should mfing DD and put turban on. No one needs that 1% haste but then again most people don't "need" any haste. It's just nice for dmg and stuff

Either way chances are bonnet has no real use other than blood tanking.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-04-02 00:52:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Veggeto said:
For DD purposes, 1 haste >>>>>>> 3 attack

The haste benefits your DoT AND your ws dmg. (because you swing more, get more tp, so you will ws more) while the attack on the bonnet only affects your DoT. Let's say 70% of your dmg is DoT and 30% is ws dmg. The attack applies to 70% of your damage where as the 1 haste applies to ALL of your damage.

Let's say you have 400 attack vs greater Colibri, which have 293 defense w/ dia II on and a .35 lv correlation for the lv 82 birds

((403/293)-.35)/((400/293)-.35) = 1.009% increase to damage. This increase only applies to 70% of your damage
1.009 x .7 = .7063% increase to your damage.

1 haste w/ 0% haste easily beats this. Assuming 0% haste
1/(100-1) = 1/99 = 1.01% increase

Now, let's say you have brown belt, fuma, kitty pants, and turban vs denali + haste and 1 march

8 + 3 + 5 + (5 vs 4) + 15 + 11 = 46 vs 47% haste

1/(100-47) = 1/53 = 1.89% increase to all of your damage.

now if you have a black belt or a 2nd march, the increase is going to be even larger (haste samba as well).

Veg is our forum math whizz for in game calculations. Seriously, haste has an amazing compound effect based on how it is calculated in game. 1% makes a big difference as silly as that sounds. DEF, eva, and 3 attack won't even come close to the benefit of 1% haste for DDing.
 Bismarck.Dricent
By Bismarck.Dricent 2010-04-02 00:57:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Now if only me as a THIEF could wear brown belt and all those other gear pieces and if only I was DDing that would be something..... That fancy math is gone to waist cause im not a mnk nor am I dding
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-04-02 01:00:07
Link | Quote | Reply

It was an example. The rules of haste still apply to every job that whacks something with a weapon.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-04-02 01:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Denali Bonnet is ALWAYS worse than Walahra Turban for TPing. Justify using it to yourself however you like, but it will never ever beat it unless your Attack goes down to stupidly low levels.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-02 01:17:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dricent said:
Now if only me as a THIEF could wear brown belt and all those other gear pieces and if only I was DDing that would be something..... That fancy math is gone to waist cause im not a mnk nor am I dding
You should try DDing sometime. I hear thats what melees do and stuff. You should also try stacking haste gear too. Also somethign I hear melees do.

Oh yeah and brown belt aside thf can get to the haste cap too just like mnk so individual peices who gives a *** for this discussion
By Alaik 2010-04-02 03:07:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Not with a Bonnet it can't. Zing!

Seriously, I guess what you should take from this is don't ask for opinions on forums if you refuse the advice.

Oh, on second thought you can with a Bonnet. Rock your bonnet good sir and get an airy buckler! To hell with these people's logic, you have feathers you are above that!
 Leviathan.Powerslave
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Powerslave 2010-04-02 03:45:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Thread title is somewhat misleading...given that your purpose seems to be to justify your Bonnet rather than asking a question and taking the feedback.
 Asura.Shamaya
Server: Asura
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2010-04-05 13:15:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Denali Bonnet is a good tanking/solo hat. I don't keep it in my inventory because I just don't have the space for it any more. But if you're fighting something where you only need a half-way evasion build, it'll be better than either Turban or Optie Hat. If you wanna use it for charbie it'll prolly work great, since his accuracy isn't terribly high anyway.

Might want to keep a separate max evasion build (with optical hat) as well, just in case, though.

But if you're talking about what hat to use in a DPS role, then I'm with the others. Might as well stick with turban, which is going to be your more reliable choice.
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-04-06 01:03:20
Link | Quote | Reply

How is this even up for discussion?

TPing - Walahra Turban Hands down.

If you're getting your *** handed to you... Why the hell would you go half way and use Bonnet...?

IMO Bonnet has one use = "Wee Look at me!"

The pageantry is ridiculous :3
 Bismarck.Chasuro
user: Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2010-04-06 01:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't gotten the denali bonnet yet so i don't know about that. I use Walmart unless I need the added evasion. Then I switch to the O-Hat.
 Asura.Shamaya
Server: Asura
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2010-04-06 01:44:34
Link | Quote | Reply

To elaborate, Denali Bonnet only really has a place in pro builds, that is, builds beyond what you'd normally use. TP set and evasion set are very basic. I use 4 different main TP sets (5 if you count subtle blow) and 3 main evasion/tanking sets. One of those is a hybrid builds which is halfway between a TP and evasion set. Not necessary surely, but it's a step above the "this is my TP set and this is my evade set." Denali bonnet only fits in 1 out of 8 of those sets I use. This is really all that you should use Denali for (other than Trick Attack).