Racist Or Lazy?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Unicorn » Racist or Lazy?
Racist or Lazy?
First Page 2 3
 Unicorn.Moldtech
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-03-25 11:33:40
Link | Quote | Reply

So many racist jp on my server, had one shouting for new avatar fights i send him a tell, he responds "jp onry". Not once have I said Japanese No, Thanks. I've used translator multiple times for french, german, and japanese members so we can get stuff done on more complicated fights. Not once have I turn my back on any group.

The excuse is being to lazy to use the auto-translate function and acting like the strategy is going to be super-complicated. Being a Summoner I'm sitting here thinking the guy is just either a jp racist or just plain freaking lazy cause Blood Pact: Rage seems to be the only strategy he needed to even translate to me >.>

Heard every excuse in the book on that one except the obvious. So to you Lokikun of the Unicorn server, you are now going to be the first and only person to get "na onry" from me. Congratulations! I guess >.>

Edit: Hearing a lot of ths lately too, so sad.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-03-25 11:38:17
Link | Quote | Reply

THREAD JACK!! This is now a Food thread, what's your fave food? I like Gumbo.

[+]
 Ramuh.Kalyna
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2010-03-25 11:38:41
Link | Quote | Reply

i've seen english-speaking people do this too.

there would be like 1 tank lfp our level, the leader wouldn't ask him and i'd ask why, he'd be like "he doesn't speak english"

people are like that everywhere. i don't mind partying with others but others do.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Andras
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Andras
By Gilgamesh.Andras 2010-03-25 11:41:10
Link | Quote | Reply

i honestly don't mind partying with any people who speak any language unless they're one of those classic stereotypical Fr players... even though ive partied with plenty of great Fr players there are always those few who keep the stereotype going
[+]
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-03-25 11:43:47
Link | Quote | Reply

When I transferred to Carbuncle, I quickly discovered that the JP population was way higher than Asura. In fact, Carby was mostly comprised of JP. I don't mind partying with non-english players in the least bit. What I DO mind, is when I ask a JP if they'd like to party and they simply ignore me. Not even a "JP only". While you may think "maybe they're afk." Sure, some of them may have been, but when I see them running around WG, I know they're not afk.
[+]
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-03-25 11:46:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't mind partying with people who speak other languages, I can kind of see the other guy's point too though for the avatar fights. Some people aren't that sure of themselves with autotrans so language barrier in anything more complicated than an xp/merit party can be confusing. I think it's just one of those things that comes across rude even when it's not meant to be.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-03-25 11:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
I don't mind partying with people who speak other languages, I can kind of see the other guy's point too though for the avatar fights. Some people aren't that sure of themselves with autotrans so language barrier in anything more complicated than an xp/merit party can be confusing. I think it's just one of those things that comes across rude even when it's not meant to be.

On the other hand, I hate how everything I say comes off as polite..
 Fenrir.Anberlin
Server: Fenrir
user: Kike
By Fenrir.Anberlin 2010-03-25 11:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Moldtech said:
So many racist jp on my server, had one shouting for new avatar fights i send him a tell, he responds "jp onry". Not once have I said Japanese No, Thanks. I've used translator multiple times for french, german, and japanese members so we can get stuff done on more complicated fights. Not once have I turn my back on any group.

The excuse is being to lazy to use the auto-translate function and acting like the strategy is going to be super-complicated. Being a Summoner I'm sitting here thinking the guy is just either a jp racist or just plain freaking lazy cause Blood Pact: Rage seems to be the only strategy he needed to even translate to me >.>

Heard every excuse in the book on that one except the obvious. So to you Lokikun of the Unicorn server, you are now going to be the first and only person to get "na onry" from me. Congratulations! I guess >.>

Edit: Hearing a lot of ths lately too, so sad.

This has kind of always been an issue. Don't get me wrong, the majority of Japanese players are great. But there are those few who do not like English speakers. I don't know it's communication related or if they think we're bad players. I'm not sure. But I saw this issue even during the games release many years ago.
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-03-25 11:50:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends for me. Some things are too tough for me to explain, so I will do w/ English speakers only. Any time that isn't a problem, idc what language you speak.

Prime example is when I used to do pick up runs for Silver Sea Remnants. I don't care to try to explain "Each person grab a rampart, run into the hallway prior to the gear train and hug the corner. The whm will stand in front of us and aggro the gear train w/ rr3 up while we sleep and fight the ramparts 1 by 1. When the whm raises up he'll stand on the other side of us. Each person 2hr 1 chariot. When done, we will fight citadel chelonian in the same spot" all with auto translate
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-03-25 11:56:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya know, thinking back I've never seen random things being autotranslated in jp scribbles, so that may be true. Would suck though, I do tend to use it as an auto complete at times.
[+]
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-03-25 11:57:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Ya know, thinking back I've never seen random things being autotranslated in jp scribbles, so that may be true. Would suck though, I do tend to use it as an auto complete at times.
Think about that for a second. If they auto-translated something, why would you see it as japanese? :P
[+]
 Unicorn.Moldtech
user: Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-03-25 12:00:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Me too, it actually seems simpler than typing everything out, and Salvage and the like i can see the strat being of a complicated nature but a prime fight c'mon
 Bismarck.Dreakon
Server: Bismarck
user: Dreakon
By Bismarck.Dreakon 2010-03-25 12:20:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I doubt any actual Japanese players are going to come in here to defend themselves, So, thanks to the magic of google translator, I will post what they would probabaly say.

いいえ!日本語のみ!性交しなさい!
By ashren 2010-03-25 12:39:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi lurker here.

We all know that the Japanese society is a closed society, always has been. Closed societies often breed an almost intrinsic type of racism - take the American South for example. Some- (not all) Jp players are not actively racist but examples of this "you are an outsider and therefore I want nothing to do with you" attitude.

Carby has a Ton of JP players on it, and most of them are good people who generally leave you alone. I tend to play on more JP times than NA times and campaign a lot. I don't get a lot of parties because when I seek party most the players only have J in party language box- no worries. I have NEVER had a problem in campaign with a JP player throwing me a cure, raise or other wise because I was NA.

Having someone tell you that they don't want to play with you because you don't speak their language is annoying, and can be racist, but for the most part can you blame them? I know I feel weird when I am in a party and it is full of Hiragana and Kanji. We all know JP ONRY exists, it has since 2003 and will be around until the final server breathes its last breath, getting moppy (sp?) about it just isn't worth it- so let's all take a deep breath and remember it is a game, you play to have fun, don't let other people poop in your punch bowl.

- sorry the words build up from lurking
/wall of text
[+]
 Unicorn.Rilu
user: Rilu
By Unicorn.Rilu 2010-03-25 12:42:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Anberlin said:
Unicorn.Moldtech said:
So many racist jp on my server, had one shouting for new avatar fights i send him a tell, he responds "jp onry". Not once have I said Japanese No, Thanks. I've used translator multiple times for french, german, and japanese members so we can get stuff done on more complicated fights. Not once have I turn my back on any group. The excuse is being to lazy to use the auto-translate function and acting like the strategy is going to be super-complicated. Being a Summoner I'm sitting here thinking the guy is just either a jp racist or just plain freaking lazy cause Blood Pact: Rage seems to be the only strategy he needed to even translate to me >.> Heard every excuse in the book on that one except the obvious. So to you Lokikun of the Unicorn server, you are now going to be the first and only person to get "na onry" from me. Congratulations! I guess >.> Edit: Hearing a lot of ths lately too, so sad.
This has kind of always been an issue. Don't get me wrong, the majority of Japanese players are great. But there are those few who do not like English speakers. I don't know it's communication related or if they think we're bad players. I'm not sure. But I saw this issue even during the games release many years ago.

From the few JP friends I have in game, they tell me that most of them don't like playing with English speakers because of the following:

1. Are Not Polite (Thank you, Nice to meet you, etc)
2. Difficulty with communication
3. Bad party manners - leaving parties without warning etc.
4. Level of skill for a majority of the English Speakers is very low - they are just plain "Bad" players.

I mean, whenever I level with a pickup group - I even generally leave with a negative impression of most of the party due to one of the above 4 reasons. I wouldn't say that the majority of the JP population has a problem with people that speak english (I used to get party invites all the time - right up until the NA ps2 release) but I think there was a large influx of bad mannered players which they now tend to shy away from.

Just my 2 bits.
 Bismarck.Ankiseth
Server: Bismarck
user: Darkfire
By Bismarck.Ankiseth 2010-03-25 12:48:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree. I honestly don't blame the JP players for their opinions of most NA players. Every time I find myself in a situation when I have a chance to interact with JPs, I do all that I can to communicate and cooperate. If for nothing else, to prove we're not all that bad.
 Phoenix.Degs
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2010-03-25 13:22:37
Link | Quote | Reply

There was a time ... I think it was around 04-05 that every seriously got along. I pt'd alot with JP's and it was a great thing, seemed everyone i knew at that point had the same experiences. But after that till now, i get the same feeling everyone else has, there is a split in this game with the language/country. I do have a groups with jp's for events and such here and there, but since I dont pt any more, I dont see the drama of jp onry na onry anymore.
 Leviathan.Dubont
Server: Leviathan
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-03-25 13:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

This game has turned into one big competition. The Jp or NA onry thing just adds to the "my linkshell is better than your linkshell" thing..
 Unicorn.Ducea
By Unicorn.Ducea 2010-03-25 13:39:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Rilu said:

1. Are Not Polite (Thank you, Nice to meet you, etc)
2. Difficulty with communication
3. Bad party manners - leaving parties without warning etc.
4. Level of skill for a majority of the English Speakers is very low - they are just plain "Bad" players.

but I think there was a large influx of bad mannered players which they now tend to shy away from.

Just my 2 bits.

Xbox completely ruined what was left of the community. that is why they dont want xiv on it, and I completely agree. I also have found in my years, that english speakers, are the worst players, with the worst manners. or no manners I should say. not even common courtesy, let alone in game manners. I have never had a problem in or getting JP parties because I am polite. so yeah as an american, I agree with the JPs
By Eirinne 2010-03-25 13:40:03
Link | Quote | Reply

What happened to the fact that.... its a goddamned game. Lighten the hell up. Not enough skills? this race is bad players, that country is bad manners..... who the hell cares? What a pile of garbage.
It's a game. Games denote fun. If you dont have fun, why play to be pissed off? Wtf?

Sorry. all that Im better than you thinking pisses me off. I think some people really think their character is actually them and this is all real!
 Unicorn.Ducea
By Unicorn.Ducea 2010-03-25 13:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Eirinne said:
What happened to the fact that.... its a goddamned game. Lighten the hell up. Not enough skills? this race is bad players, that country is bad manners..... who the hell cares? What a pile of garbage.
It's a game. Games denote fun. If you dont have fun, why play to be pissed off? Wtf?

Sorry. all that Im better than you thinking pisses me off. I think some people really think their character is actually them and this is all real!

if you want fun and immaturity, play WoW. FFXI takes dedication, and help to do everything so you have to build relationships. if you just want to log on play and ditch, ffxi clearly isnt for you
[+]
 Leviathan.Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-03-25 13:46:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Ducea said:
if you just want to log on play and ditch, ffxi clearly isnt for you
Agreed but there is a line that needs to be drawn. When the "game" becomes like a full-time job, that is when it gets ridiculous. On call 24/7? *** that.

There are times when I just want to get on, pty for maybe 10-20k exp then leave and go have a life. What's wrong with that?
 Unicorn.Ducea
By Unicorn.Ducea 2010-03-25 13:48:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Dubont said:
Unicorn.Ducea said:
Agreed but there is a line that needs to be drawn. When the "game" becomes like a full-time job, that is when it gets ridiculous. On call 24/7? *** that.

There are times when I just want to get on, pty for maybe 10-20k exp then leave and go have a life. What's wrong with that?

nothing wrong if you give ample warning. whats so hard about saying "15 minutes remaining please find a replacement" unless youre camping a 24 hour NM there's no reason to be on call
 Leviathan.Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-03-25 13:51:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Ducea said:

nothing wrong if you give ample warning. whats so hard about saying "15 minutes remaining please find a replacement" unless youre camping a 24 hour NM there's no reason to be on call

Most of the time people do give ample warning and people STILL get pissed b/c they don't want to have to replace the person that is leaving so they get all huffy, disband and sometimes blist the person (yes it has happened).

I have known and been in linkshells that are running through X zone, see Y nm and say "Y NM is up in X. Call the members" at which time the LS leader calls/txt our cell phones and if we don't show up, its -points and for those that do show up its +points.
 Unicorn.Ducea
By Unicorn.Ducea 2010-03-25 13:53:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Dubont said:

I have known and been in linkshells that are running through X zone, see Y nm and say "Y NM is up in X. Call the members" at which time the LS leader calls/txt our cell phones and if we don't show up, its -points and for those that do show up its points.

find a new LS lol
By Eirinne 2010-03-25 13:57:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Dubont said:
Unicorn.Ducea said:

Apparently that makes you immature and you have to go play wow? Thats what the above comment seemed like. I run a LS. Its an endgame shell. We do rather well. We have fun. We get along. Its pretty awesome. When did I say anything about logging on and ditching. I mean really, did you bother to read it, or just pick some point and completely reword to suit your needs?
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-03-25 14:09:12
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys are reading into things that you should not be, and it's maddening to watch. Applying your definition of polite/rude speech or behavior across language lines is extremely dangerous, and I think it's a telling aspect of human nature that the default assumption when presented with ambiguity is to assume hostility.

Just look at any human's natural reaction when people are talking in front of them in a language they can't understand. ("Are you guys talking ***about me?") Why do we always assume that?

"jp only" is a rude statement in English. It's even arguably racist. From a Western perspective. But the auto-translator was written for the English release, by English-speakers. It is a tremendous pain in the *** to use in Japanese because certain functionality, like the ability to type a few letters and auto-complete the token -- features that make the entire system in English -- are missing entirely or unreliable in the JP release. If the word "only" is the solitary English term you've learned in school to describe what you're trying to say, you use it. You don't sit there wondering if the second-order implications of the one word you know might sound rude or racist in the other person's language.

There are many reasons that Japanese players may want to only play with other Japanese players. Many of these reasons may not be racist. They may be reasons that, like the problems with the JP auto-trans function, you are incapable of knowing. There are legitimate racists among the JP player base, but they are no more numerous than among EN players. However, approaching a situation with the assumption of racist hostility does nothing but make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Example: in another forum the other day, someone asked me to translate something a Japanese player said. They "rudely" dropped party with no warning, said something evidently "racist" in English, and "stormed off." The English-speaking players launched into a massive diatribe about xenophobic, elitist, thorny, hostile JP players, with some people who supposedly spoke Japanese jumping in to "translate" the JP users' statements into something that verified the original assumption.

In actuality, they didn't speak JP at all. They made it up. Or they only barely spoke JP, and filled in the blanks with their own imaginations. What the JP player actually said was that there was a sudden emergency in his family, and he needed to log out. In the polite tense. With apologies. But by that point, the thread was so self-absorbed in righteous indignation that they didn't want to hear it.

Taking what is a simple misunderstanding in phrasing and arguing backwards, all the way through centuries of history to make sweeping statements like "Japan is a closed society," with some stroke of finality as though you're qualified to define an entire nation in one sentence, is itself just as racist as what you're accusing other people of.
[+]
 Leviathan.Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-03-25 14:15:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Said a bunch of stuff that I don't feel like quoting

/mind blown

Jaerik is God >< it is official
First Page 2 3