Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » THF RDM Duo
THF RDM Duo
 Leviathan.Eloc
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Eloc
By Leviathan.Eloc 2010-03-11 17:09:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just wondering what people would fight in here THF + RDM. More for fun then to make money, but getting both would be nice. Things like Big Bomb, SCNM mobs, etc.
 Fenrir.Retin
Server: Fenrir
user: Jeniffer
By Fenrir.Retin 2010-03-11 17:12:30
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM/NIN can solo big bomb and all SCNMs, have the THF there for TH/possible sac pulls and ur golden:)
 Asura.Shamaya
Server: Asura
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2010-03-11 20:21:43
Link | Quote | Reply

My main job is thief, but a couple of years ago I made a second account and leveled up Rdm as a PL. After awhile though I become more interested in the idea of Rdm solo or duo, so I started to gear it. Now both of my characters are very well geared, and it does open up a lot of possibilities.

But what are those possibilities? I wonder that myself, too. A lot of the stuff that is too hard or risky for thief to solo (with or without an NPC buddy and tons of hi-potions), Rdm can usually do with a much higher success rate and the right plan. And then, these types of solos are the types that the soloers question themselves. Sure, you can Poison/Bio something and run around for a couple of hours. But is it always worth your time as opposed to going with a group?

There's stuff that's definitely faster and with Rdm+Thf, and probably easier too. Just gotta find it. I suppose I can list off a bunch of possible applications:
*Ix'Drk. To be fair I had another healer there as well, so it was really a trio. Ix'Drk is not easy for a thief to tank without bard songs, but it's definitely possible. But after doing it for about an hour I'd have to say it's better to just do this with a group. But the common consensus that it needs to be done mage-style isn't correct.
*Aptant NM's. I've found a lot of these that are probably more convenient, faster, and/or safer to do Thf+Rdm as opposed to Thief alone. Venomfang in Mamook, you just pull him to a nuke and straight tank, standard procedure. Same thing can be done w/ the new kraken in Qufim. Don't have to kite it, or worry about the fact that it can't be bound/grav'ed. There's also that (aptant) cactuar in East desert, but I'd imagine Thf or Rdm can solo that. There's lots of duo-friendly aptant NM's. A final one is Frost Flambeau, in uleguerand. You don't need to go rdm/drk but since it often casts fast cast blizzaga II, you might want to.
*Speaking of things to /drk on, there's also the pixie NM's for furia pigments.
*And Steam cleaner, I imagine.
*I've done both Brigandish Blade and Olla as a trio with a Blu in the group as well. I imagine Olla could be duo'd like this, but I wouldn't wanna try BB.
*Limbus farming
*The NM's in Beadeaux S that drop molione's gear and the like. Though the Thf one is really rough. Don't think I succeeded on that. These can also be solo'd by Rdm.
*X's knife BCNM, probably, with great skill (also soloable by a very skilled Rdm and meds / reraise)
*Charby
*Guivre (soloable though)
*Probably a variety of ZNMs and SCNM's, though I can't say which.
*Sandworm. I tanked/DPS'ed this down duo with a Rdm healing (we were waiting on people to log on). I've seen Rdm solo hold it easily though. But I don't think it'd be safe for them to melee it alone.
*Amphipteres
*Kreutzet

There are really a lot of applications. It's just that there are so many mobs in the game right now it's hard to know / remember them all. And again, a lot of these named can be solo'd by Rdm or Thf, albeit often less safely or efficiently.
 Asura.Israfel
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2010-03-11 20:42:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't had a fantastic amount of THF/RDM duo experience, just for lack of having THF close friends that are geared well enough to be able to take on more interesting fights. One fight I did love however was the Daea Gratia NM, I think we went like 3/4 on drop with TH4. Was pretty fun, though Slow2 is a breaker here since the NM is a monk D:
 Caitsith.Blurr
Server: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-03-11 20:54:45
Link | Quote | Reply

thf and rdm/blm for puk isnm duo. let thf get a lil hate before debuffs and just be fast on the -gas for mantle.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-11 23:01:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually had lower survival rate bringing thfs or mnks to help me on Kreutzet. Granted they kinda didn't have good evasion gear and sucked at keeping up shadows. And would break bind... while they were weakened and had no shadows up, /sigh. But went from super easy to omg I'm running out of mp and taking lots of dmg.

The new nms once you get used to them I'd say are a bit faster/easier just kiting. Uusually a decent thing to run around is findable and and if you do it right you can deaggro them... alot. Plus several have really annoying innate spikes which kinda make meleeing suck. Also most have fairly lowish hp and not much in resisting nukes so a well geared taru rdm can kill a few of them with chainspell nuking till out or almost out of mp.
 Carbuncle.Axle
Server: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2010-03-11 23:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
I actually had lower survival rate bringing thfs or mnks to help me on Kreutzet. Granted they kinda didn't have good evasion gear and sucked at keeping up shadows. And would break bind... while they were weakened and had no shadows up, /sigh. But went from super easy to omg I'm running out of mp and taking lots of dmg.

You had some sucky tanks. Nin/dnc even and kreutzet is too weak. A thf should tank it np, with a little dmg with stormwind spam, maybe a Cure 3.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-11 23:25:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes I did have some sucky tanks. Like no evasion gear and not even capped evasion. Oh yeah think I had a nin once too.
 Asura.Kalekka
user: Kalekka
By Asura.Kalekka 2010-03-12 00:15:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a RDM...my RL better half (Illumina) is a THF. We duo a -lot-. For us, it works...but mainly because we sit in the same room together and can communicate what we need from each other during any given fight. He knows when to turn off and let my RDM/NIN take some of the heat, and he knows when to step in and deal out some nice dmg (this goes for his MNK and his BLM as well when we duo.

whether the duo is a good combination or not highly depends on the individuals, their gear, their play style, and their skill level.
 Remora.Laphine
Server: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2010-03-12 00:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

i can add in cassie and that tree nm in krt. I dual boxed them with rdm and thf once. Well, i failed on that lol. They are a pain. Oh they are a real pain. Due the hate reset moves (which goes thru shadows), there are way too many things happening at the same time. Specially with these nms, they have many nasty enfeebles, and in the end i got overwhelmed.

Now with a friend they are kinda easy, SA + collaborator usually fixes hate back on the thf. And the thf having hate should be the only issue, cause the rdm will have to be /whm (well, they can still kite anyway - which is almost impossible to do with a dual box, at least for me lol).

Serket is also pretty easy to duo. I actually dual boxed him successfully. He does have a hate reset move, idk if i was lucky and he didnt use it or if utsusemi blocked it. But i had no issue at all against him.

I duoed roc with a friend too. He has a *** of an acc so we sweat quite a bit, but we did it lol.
 Sylph.Sindri
Server: Sylph
user: Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-03-12 01:03:23
Link | Quote | Reply

@Shamaya Sabotender Corrido can't be solo'd seen some good thiefs wipe to it, however any job with Slow and or Cure can easily duo it with a thief, I do it all the time with my friend who has a pimp THF... If only she would finish PLD and get her Maat's, would be alot easier...
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-12 01:18:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Sindri said:
@Shamaya Sabotender Corrido can't be solo'd seen some good thiefs wipe to it, however any job with Slow and or Cure can easily duo it with a thief, I do it all the time with my friend who has a pimp THF... If only she would finish PLD and get her Maat's, would be alot easier...
Have you seen a thf try to beat it without giving it any tp?

Personally I think I kinda like drg/mage + rdm duoing. Do some crazy stuff. Like beat simurgh faster than a pt of a pld rdm blm drk sam and something else did lol by a good 7 min. Not bad considering the only dmg I did was Dots lol
 Asura.Shamaya
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2010-03-12 01:54:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually Dasva, for that fight it doesn't matter if you give it TP because if I remember correctly it has no TP moves. It just attacks fast, with some amount of accuracy, and hits hard. And its 2hr is 100 fists. At that time you can either zone it or just flee around. Sindri may be right, I've only ever duo'd it, but it is an easy duo. I never used bolts on it but sleep/blind bolts and an NPC healer (I don't have one) might make it a possible solo I imagine? People used to say Kreutzet was an impossible solo for Thf at first. Or you could just be right ;p