Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Questions on THF gear swap
Questions on THF gear swap
 Hades.Tripster
Server: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: Lisamarie
By Hades.Tripster 2010-02-26 11:02:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I have some questions regarding THF gear swap.

1. AGI for Trick Attack and DEX for Sneak Attack, right?

2. When changing gear will I lose the stats from the first gear swap I did?

For example: when doing SATA+WS, should I do

(GearSwap)SA+(GearSwap)TA+(GearSwap)WS?
or
(GearSwap)SATA+WS?

I still don't know about this things. Can someone who understood what I'm trying to say here help me out?
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-26 11:05:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes dex for SA agi for TA.

The bonuses are applied when you actually hit the mob so another gear swap would change that.

As far as balancing it out what to put on for SA, TA, SATA +ws gotta do the math for each one sorta but remember SA and TA bonuses only apply on the first hit of a ws and after the ftp mod.

What lvl are you that might help if you got questions about what to were for ws + SA and or TA
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2010-02-26 11:09:24
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are doing SATA you should gear up for the SA (DEX) bonuses and then fill other slots with AGI.

If you are doing SA and TA separate, then full DEX build for SA and full AGI build for TA.

If you are doing SATAWS then go DEX -> STR -> AGI. (I believe this will give you the biggest possible damage, although depends on how much STR gear you have.)

These bonuses only work on the first hit after you've activated SA or TA. After that initial hit you can swap back to your normal TP gear.
[+]
 Hades.Tripster
By Hades.Tripster 2010-02-26 11:10:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol, you guys speak way too complicated about those things. Go figure I never got it quite well.

So what you're saying is if I'm doing SATA+WS I gotta stack most of AGI and DEX on the first gear swap, right?

As in:
(Gear Swap)SATA+WS
 Hades.Tripster
By Hades.Tripster 2010-02-26 11:12:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, got it. Thanks to you both. :)

Garuda.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2010-02-26 11:12:06
Link | Quote | Reply

The bonuses only take place during the actual hit. You could be naked and activate Sneak Attack, then fill all your slots with DEX and then hit the mob. It doesn't matter when you do your gear swap just as long as the gear is on while you make your hit.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-26 11:15:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on the ws really and lvl for what to stack
 Hades.Tripster
By Hades.Tripster 2010-02-26 11:16:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmmm... I see i'm gonna have to redo all my macro stuff...
 Bismarck.Lighttaru
Server: Bismarck
user: lighttaru
By Bismarck.Lighttaru 2010-02-26 11:23:41
Link | Quote | Reply

ws w/o SA or TA: acc>atk
ws with SA: dex>atk>acc
ws with TA: acc>atk>agi
ws with SA/TA: dex>atk>acc>agi
TA only: atk>agi>acc
SA only: dex>atk>str or acc

that wat i use atm as set-up on my thf elvaan

as for the swamp gear:
Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
The bonuses only take place during the actual hit. You could be naked and activate Sneak Attack, then fill all your slots with DEX and then hit the mob. It doesn't matter when you do your gear swap just as long as the gear is on while you make your hit.
this^^
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-02-26 11:31:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

No need for accuracy with soloSA or soloTA; all hits are guaranteed on that attack round. AGI will also beat ATK on TA.

4STR =~ 1DEX/AGI[noAF+1hands] (actually marginally better due to Attack gains). 4.6STR =~ 1AGI with AF+1 hands. Attack is worth using if you have 4~x as much of it as a stat, generally speaking (eg Forager's over Assassin's Cape).
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-26 11:32:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Like for example if you are doing DE solo at 75: 1dex ~ 1str as far as dmg goes. Agi= 0

So obviously on SA DE: 1 Dex > 1 str though how much is highly dependent on the number of hits that connect and what your pdif is at. A very rough estimate assuming 6 hits connect would be 4-5str ~ 3dex.

With TA DE: dex ~ str, making same assumptions as last time and that you are at least lvl 60 for assassin 5-6agi ~ 4str.

For SATA DE: str to agi ratio is the same as in TA DE and the str to dex is the same as in SA DE.

So as you can see for DE generally stacking agi is not a good idea unless it is alot more then the dex/str you can get there.

Also never forget acc or att especially if you can get alot in those slots though figuring out how much they are worth comparatively would require alot more info. Like how much att you have dex/agi/str. Mod def/eva/vit etc

Other ws will be different. Oh and I assumed ws gorget and a pdif around 1.5-2. Yes probably a little high but only really affects how much a stat will compare on the first hit vs the others for when you get a crit. And less hits that connect the more the SA and TA mods will count comparatively.
 Garuda.Glaciont
user: glaciont
By Garuda.Glaciont 2010-02-26 11:49:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I've found that if you are using SATA-DE(or SA-DE) use your normal WS build for DE

If your using TA-DE just use a DEX and AGI mixed build =]

Bismarck.Lighttaru
By Bismarck.Lighttaru 2010-02-26 14:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Like for example if you are doing DE solo at 75: 1dex ~ 1str as far as dmg goes. Agi= 0

So obviously on SA DE: 1 Dex > 1 str though how much is highly dependent on the number of hits that connect and what your pdif is at. A very rough estimate assuming 6 hits connect would be 4-5str ~ 3dex.

With TA DE: dex ~ str, making same assumptions as last time and that you are at least lvl 60 for assassin 5-6agi ~ 4str.

For SATA DE: str to agi ratio is the same as in TA DE and the str to dex is the same as in SA DE.

So as you can see for DE generally stacking agi is not a good idea unless it is alot more then the dex/str you can get there.

Also never forget acc or att especially if you can get alot in those slots though figuring out how much they are worth comparatively would require alot more info. Like how much att you have dex/agi/str. Mod def/eva/vit etc

Other ws will be different. Oh and I assumed ws gorget and a pdif around 1.5-2. Yes probably a little high but only really affects how much a stat will compare on the first hit vs the others for when you get a crit. And less hits that connect the more the SA and TA mods will count comparatively.
damn dasva, this is pretty good details^^
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Quote:

No need for accuracy with soloSA or soloTA; all hits are guaranteed on that attack round. AGI will also beat ATK on TA.
no TA can still miss but i hope that by the time u had thf75 u got enough acc but true that SA is 100% this is y in those 2 i said acc as last option
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-02-26 14:15:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Assassin. TA can't miss 60+.
 Odin.Dryzt
Server: Odin
user: Dryzt
By Odin.Dryzt 2010-02-26 14:17:38
Link | Quote | Reply

TA can miss pre-60. at level 60 thf gets Assassin, a job trait that makes TA behave like SA but with an AGI mod.
 Bismarck.Lighttaru
By Bismarck.Lighttaru 2010-02-26 15:14:29
Link | Quote | Reply

ahh ***yes assassin lol forgot about that :P been a damn while since i played thf for anything beside farming n eva tanking
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-26 17:21:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Also to note TA and SA make not only the first hit on a ws 100% but the offhand hit and any double/triple attack hits 100%
 Asura.Shamaya
Server: Asura
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2010-03-02 00:21:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Also to note TA and SA make not only the first hit on a ws 100% but the offhand hit and any double/triple attack hits 100%

http://shamayaasura.livejournal.com/10415.html

Very good thing to bring up, but this was actually looked into recently and it's not exactly so. Here's what's actually the case:

In SA/TA(assassin)+WS, 2 hits will always land. In the event of /nin, it'll be an offhand hit. No other hits are ever guaranteed.