Forum » FFXI » General » Testimonial's
Testimonial's
 Titan.Cripnicc
Server: Titan
Game: FFXI
user: Cripnicc
By Titan.Cripnicc 2010-02-25 10:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it just me or are the Testimonial's on Wiki used for bragging rather then to help ppl out. All i see i solo-able by ___ or duo-able by ____, im not tryn to solo or duo i want to know if u have a group of ppl and a tank what is a good Strategy. And the videos, the last thing i want to see is a RDM Bind and Kite for 20 min. Am i alone?
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-02-25 10:30:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Cripnicc said:
Is it just me or are the Testimonial's on Wiki used for bragging rather then to help ppl out. All i see i solo-able by ___ or duo-able by ____, im not tryn to solo or duo i want to know if u have a group of ppl and a tank what is a good Strategy. And the videos, the last thing i want to see is a RDM Bind and Kite for 20 min. Am i alone?
I agree. That's why I try to remember to go back and post actual strategies when I do a mission or fight that didn't match up with wiki due to different jobs or not enough info.
 Fairy.Basilo
Server: Fairy
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-02-25 10:39:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I disagree, I never see much bragging on the testimonials just pure fact of what people have managed to beat <insert mob> with. I dont see why it has to be called bragging. Besides you can use this info on it being soloed/duoed and what jobs/method they used to determine how you plan to go about the fight yourself. If anything I find "slaughtered with 6 people and broke the record" far less useful than "I soloed it just keep up ... spells and make sure for ...".

FYI Ive never posted on wiki for ***ive soloed nms/ranked fights but im happy people do, the quest/mission page doesnt always give much info on weather I can solo it. The testimonal page usually confirms this for me.
 Kujata.Daus
Server: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2010-02-25 10:41:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont know if I ever thought of it as bragging...its kinda annoying when you want to solo something on a job and all wiki says is "solo'd by said job" cause I am looking for strats as well but I find the solo's and duo strategies more useful then the full group ones. I never had an entire pt's worth of friends to drop what they were doing to help me with things, so the more low-man strategies I could find the better.
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-02-25 10:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I find it helpful to know ways to duo mobs, since my husband and I like to duo what we can. It's easier than trying to beg and plead with friends and ls mates to go help when no one honestly wants to, it's more efficient than a pick-up group who we may or may not have to babysit the whole time. It's also easier because we play in the same room, so we don't have to type things out, like 'T4 at :05' or whatever. We can just communicate by talking, since we sit right next to each other while we play.

Of course not everyone is in that sort of position. So I think it's good that testimonials have ways of fighting with traditional party set-ups as well as ways to solo and duo. If the solo and duo testimonials don't apply to you, then just read the traditional ones that do apply.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-02-25 10:46:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't mind the testimonials with ppl saying they can dual/solo hard things. A lot of things in this game are complete over kill with 6 ppl so doing it with 1~3 is way more of a challenge and way more fun. I love "low-maning" stuff in this game from missions, Sea, Sky, and even some HNM.

I would much rather read "I just solo'd this on rdm and it was crazy hard. I used blah blah blah" than read did this with 6 ppl killed it in 5 min and no other advice is given. That's just me tho.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-02-25 11:00:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Cripnicc said:

Testimonials on Wiki are generally used as a "This is the minimum you need", ranging from the Solo/Duo NM's to the 18 man NM's that someone killed with 12.

Or, for example, a NM that is normally only tanked by X job, being tanked by Y. (Boroka for example, normally a NIN will tank Boroka to save being beaten around, though there are testimonials of PLD's doing it)

Personally, I prefer knowing if my NIN can solo something, or if my BLM is going to eat dirt because something was troublesome to a BLM with better gear and merits, etc.

If you're looking for strategies, you would be far better reading about the NM itself and working out what to do with what you have.

Example:

* NM spams Silencega.
Strategy: Everyone bring Echo Drops, have a few WHM, SCH or /WHM, /SCH.

* NM triple attacks often with 85%+ accuracy.
Strategy: Use a PLD over a NIN to tank if possible.

* NM has near 100 fist attack speed.
Strategy: Bring a BRD and well geared RDM to plant Slow on the mob.

* NM is a Corse.
Strategy: Read about Corse's, including normal traits, behaviour and WS's.
[+]
 Titan.Cripnicc
Server: Titan
user: Cripnicc
By Titan.Cripnicc 2010-02-25 11:11:19
Link | Quote | Reply

WOW, guess i should be glad i have an LS that always rolls together, looks like not many ppl have that
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-02-25 11:13:14
Link | Quote | Reply

If I solo it and there is no testimonial on my job soloing it, then I'll add one. And they've helped me before when I've wanted to solo/Duo something and not go to the trouble of making a party when it can be done with 1.
 Carbuncle.Hennrizzler
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Hennrizzler 2010-02-25 11:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Any information is useful information in my eyes. Some more than others. Solo'd by XXX @ lvl XX usually means that that job/lvl could do it. I tend to scan certain things and if it says its soloable by a job I have, then good times. Sure a stratergy would be nice but the fact someone was able to do it means I should be able to. I'll make my own strats.
 Valefor.Sketchkat
Server: Valefor
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2010-02-25 11:24:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I appreciate any strategy given, or at least what kind of fight to expect, but saying "soloable by ____" doesn't say much. Just because Avesta can solo "nm X" doesn't mean I can.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-25 12:10:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I always find it funny when people think extremely high of themselves.

"xxx NM soloable by an extremely skilled and well merited/geared <job>"

When infact any half gimped lv 74 without proper subjob could easily solo the same NM.

Always makes me /smile
[+]
 Siren.Talonn
Server: Siren
By Siren.Talonn 2010-02-25 12:29:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Zanno said:
I always find it funny when people think extremely high of themselves.

"xxx NM soloable by an extremely skilled and well merited/geared <job>"

When infact any half gimped lv 74 without proper subjob could easily solo the same NM.

Always makes me /smile
agree'd >< I think this is the bragging part that people are talking about here.
When I post on wiki (demonwhisper) i try to post What job, what I had to do, and any problems that came about
(IE solo by PLD/rdm. Slow can land, para not. Keep Phalanx up - stoneskin breaks to quick. MP became and issue. Used a Icarus Wing to finish the fight)
*Not, by any means saying this is right or wrong :\
 Carbuncle.Zanno
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-27 14:12:43
Link | Quote | Reply

found on Ungur talk page on wiki. It's almost as funny as the above posts.

"
killed it with 12 people. setup was 75 pld/nin main tank 75 pld/war second tank 74(75 for first fight) nin/war third tank 75 brd 75 whm 73 whm 75 drk/nin pld/war 65 mnk 71 62 rdm/whm 60 rdm/blm 40 whm (lol)

first fight didn't have either plds, or the 75 whm. we wiped at 55%.
second fight, with plds tanking, it went very smoothly. no deaths at all, only one pld had to use invincible. even tho the pld/nin wasn't getting haste, he tanked very well, and traded hate with the other pld pretty well. it took, maybe 20-30 mins to kill it. also didn't have the brd's full attention, becuase he was keeping a skele slept.

basicly...ninjas can't tank it nearly as well a plds."

bolded the fun parts for tl;dr