Build Me A Buyable Thief Set!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Build me a buyable Thief Set!
Build me a buyable Thief Set!
 Phoenix.Authority
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Authority
By Phoenix.Authority 2010-02-19 09:13:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I just recently achieved level 75 on my THF, and have been reading a bunch of different threads based on the order of best endgame gear depending on the situation. As a lot of people seem to forget, not everyone is born with Homam or Skadi ready to be equipped as soon as they hit 75 for the first time, which is why I must resort to buying a majority of my gear.

While I have some R/ex items such as Turban, swift belt and peacock amulet, I am missing staple pieces such as Homam Gambieras that must be filled with the stickyshoe dusk ledelsens, for example.

I am not completely clueless, I have some idea as to what I should be wearing... however I'd like to make sure I'm correct and also hear what other people have to say.

If you could, possibly build a TP/WS (DE, or whatever) set for me that uses either buyable gear or fairly easily attainable gear (by fairly easy I mean something that doesn't require countless days running the same crap) in order for me to START running the same crap over and over, if you get what I'm trying to say.

Greatly appreciated.

(By the way, my FFXI AH page is not updated, even though I just clicked Update)
Breakdown of current gear:

MH: Azoth
OH: Blau Dolch
Ranged: Thug's Zamburak (saving for ziska)
Head: Turban
Neck: PCA for TP and Evasion Torque for Solo
Earrings: Merman's
Body: Rapparee
Hands: Dusk
Rings: Snipers
Back: Foragers
Belt: Swift
Legs: Bravo's
Feet: Dusk

I think some of the gear I have seems to be fine, but correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want this to turn into a personal "You should replace X with Y" thread, as that isn't helpful to other people in the same situation. A general guide helps more than just myself, and is what I'd like to become of this thread.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-19 09:27:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say get Raja, brutal and suppa. but that's not AH gear lol

other than that you can get dragon harness, feet, subligar for SA(TA)(WS) atleast.
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-19 09:31:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Blau + Sirocco Kukri is a better combo (if you can camp it), other than that, you have a pretty well thought out AH THF.

You should be aware that you should be eating Pizza or Sushi on nearly everything you fight as you will be quite low on accuracy (obviously homan etc would help this).

As for SA and TA I will leave that up to the THF experts.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-19 09:34:51
Link | Quote | Reply

What's your budget and what do you have areas/battles you have easy access to? Like can you get af+1 or ws torque ABC items or nyzle isle stuff?

Phoenix.Authority
By Phoenix.Authority 2010-02-19 09:45:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Still need Sky and Sea access, which I'm working on. Can't access northlands Dynamis yet, unsure about dreamworld but I'm on "Three Paths" CoP.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-19 09:48:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, also what are you using your thf for? Or going to use it for?

there's not alot of <3 for thf merit wise. You're gonna be SATA TH *** in endgame? Or just use it for fun soloing low lv stuff? Or just farming? or solo/low man NM's?

Depending on what you plan to use it for, there will be different ways to equip it. Atleast that's my opinion. My thf is only for farming these days, so I havent really bother that much in getting the best gear I can for it.
 Unicorn.Idevlboy
Server: Unicorn
user: idevlboy
By Unicorn.Idevlboy 2010-02-19 10:01:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
Blau / Sirocco Kukri is a better combo (if you can camp it), other than that, you have a pretty well thought out AH THF.

This is right on the money. As a temporary solution you should look into something like http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=17620 A little extra Dex never hurts but the biggest thing is the delay. You dont really want to be main handing or off handing a 210 delay dagger without a ton of haste to back it up. Try to keep the delays low so that you have TP every time SA/TA are up. Once you have Homam you can start looking into the higher delay weapons (P.harpe/Harpe/Azoth) as main hands to up your damage past the limits of blau but honestly, beyond having Mandau, blau is going to be hard to beat in most situations.
 Pandemonium.Machiaveli
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Machiaveli 2010-02-19 10:01:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Get a SCP harness too ,+1 is awesome if you can afford it in my opinion i would use that over rapa body it seems youre a bit low on acc.
 Asura.Eeek
Server: Asura
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2010-02-19 10:14:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Authority said:

My apologies, but this is going to be quick and dirty. My break's ending soon.

MH: Azoth OH: Blau Dolch
- For where you're at currently, this is fine. If your playtime allows for it, camp the Sirocco. I finally got the ToD, kill, and drop last weekend, and I'm absolutely in love with this dagger.

- For time's when you're not using a crossbow, pick up a Bomb Core along with some darts for pulling. If your budget allows for it, a Fire Bomblet is even nicer! +12 attack in the ammo slot is a pretty big deal since THF's natural attack is so painfully low.

- There's not a whole lot of decent non-rare/ex gear in this slot for THF. One suggestion would be Dragon Cap for solo TA. If you have an Optical Hat or a WS-oriented MKE hat, that'd be good until you have access to better options.

- Pick up a Spike Necklace. It's good for solo SA and Shark Bite.

- This'll work. Also, pick up some Drone Earrings for solo TA. If you don't have a Brutal Earring (or Sea access), that should be a high priority.

- Scorpion Harness for solo, TP when you need accuracy, and WS when you need accuracy. Dragon Harness for solo TA, solo SA, and WS when your accuracy isn't hurting. Also use the DH when stacking weaponskills like Shark Bite and Mandalic Stab with SA/TA.

- Pick up a pair of War Gloves (+1). You'll want to have them around if you need the accuracy or evasion. If you don't have AF+1 hands, look into a pair of Dragon Mittens for solo TA.

- This'll work well for TP (and WS depending on your accuracy). If you can, pick up pairs of +4/+5 DEX rings, AGI rings, and a pair of Ranged Accuracy rings (NQ Behemoth Rings are cheap if I'm remembering correctly).

- Good.

- Warwolf Belt for SA and WS (again, depending on your accuracy). Scouter's Rope for TA and evasion. Life Belt/Potent Belt if you find yourself whiffing badly.

- Dragon Sugligar for SA and possibly WS. Dusk pants possibly for WS and ranged accuracy. I can't remember if there's much more out there for THF in the legs slot. It's a weak slot short of rare/ex gear.

- Dragon Feet for SA/TA and WS if you don't have Hecatomb.

I'd be more thorough if I wasn't short on time. I'm sure other THFs can find what I overlooked/got wrong and help you out some more.
[+]
 Phoenix.Authority
By Phoenix.Authority 2010-02-19 10:34:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for all the replies. What do you guys think of Oily Trousers for SA/TA DE?
 Bismarck.Lighttaru
Server: Bismarck
user: lighttaru
By Bismarck.Lighttaru 2010-02-19 10:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Zanno said:
Oh, also what are you using your thf for? Or going to use it for?

there's not alot of <3 for thf merit wise. You're gonna be SATA TH *** in endgame? Or just use it for fun soloing low lv stuff? Or just farming? or solo/low man NM's?

Depending on what you plan to use it for, there will be different ways to equip it. Atleast that's my opinion. My thf is only for farming these days, so I havent really bother that much in getting the best gear I can for it.

this^^

i have a thf75 on my other character but its for pure farmin/soloin so its sure its aint gonna b the same set of gear.

u have a pretty decent tp gear, i do have sum different gear since its a 2nd character: i use staurobow (give +4agi that help on ta), war glove for acc/eva, relic feet for triple+1. as for ws gear there 4 questions:

ws w/o SA or TA: stack acc>atk
ws with SA: stack dex>atk>acc
ws with TA: acc>atk>agi
ws with SA/TA: stack dex>atk>acc>agi

gear choice: voyager sallet (the new scnm helm would b better tho), SH (+1 if u can), thf jse lv70 really good to complete a full SA/TA set with AF1, war glove r nice tho for acc if u dont need to use th4 (almost a dream for a thf lol).

when u get sea/sky access u would have lot more good item for thf
 Bismarck.Lighttaru
Server: Bismarck
user: lighttaru
By Bismarck.Lighttaru 2010-02-19 10:41:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eeek said:
Phoenix.Authority said:

My apologies, but this is going to be quick and dirty. My break's ending soon.

MH: Azoth OH: Blau Dolch
- For where you're at currently, this is fine. If your playtime allows for it, camp the Sirocco. I finally got the ToD, kill, and drop last weekend, and I'm absolutely in love with this dagger.

- For time's when you're not using a crossbow, pick up a Bomb Core along with some darts for pulling. If your budget allows for it, a Fire Bomblet is even nicer! 12 attack in the ammo slot is a pretty big deal since THF's natural attack is so painfully low.

- There's not a whole lot of decent non-rare/ex gear in this slot for THF. One suggestion would be Dragon Cap for solo TA. If you have an Optical Hat or a WS-oriented MKE hat, that'd be good until you have access to better options.

- Pick up a Spike Necklace. It's good for solo SA and Shark Bite.

- This'll work. Also, pick up some Drone Earrings for solo TA. If you don't have a Brutal Earring (or Sea access), that should be a high priority.

- Scorpion Harness for solo, TP when you need accuracy, and WS when you need accuracy. Dragon Harness for solo TA, solo SA, and WS when your accuracy isn't hurting. Also use the DH when stacking weaponskills like Shark Bite and Mandalic Stab with SA/TA.

- Pick up a pair of War Gloves ( 1). You'll want to have them around if you need the accuracy or evasion. If you don't have AF 1 hands, look into a pair of Dragon Mittens for solo TA.

- This'll work well for TP (and WS depending on your accuracy). If you can, pick up pairs of 4/ 5 DEX rings, AGI rings, and a pair of Ranged Accuracy rings (NQ Behemoth Rings are cheap if I'm remembering correctly).

- Good.

- Warwolf Belt for SA and WS (again, depending on your accuracy). Scouter's Rope for TA and evasion. Life Belt/Potent Belt if you find yourself whiffing badly.

- Dragon Sugligar for SA and possibly WS. Dusk pants possibly for WS and ranged accuracy. I can't remember if there's much more out there for THF in the legs slot. It's a weak slot short of rare/ex gear.

- Dragon Feet for SA/TA and WS if you don't have Hecatomb.

I'd be more thorough if I wasn't short on time. I'm sure other THFs can find what I overlooked/got wrong and help you out some more.

lol eek was faster n that pretty much wat i was usin for my thf (had to sold sum gear to make room for sam) n not much to add to this.
Phoenix.Authority said:
Thanks for all the replies. What do you guys think of Oily Trousers for SA/TA DE?
if u can afford it go ahead its one of the best legs gear for thf atm for u
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-19 10:45:49
Link | Quote | Reply

EEks stuff looks pretty good so I will just add to that. I don't evasion solo/tank yet so just do DD stuff

ranged: Not sure if you are say bomb core or bomblet but of the 2 bomblet will be better most the time. Att is nice but 6acc will usually beat 6 att as thf has a hard time capping acc without some pretty pimp gear and/or sacrificing haste for acc.

Head: only thing I can think of is emp hairpin for WSs. Though tbh voyager sallet is pretty easy to get. And MKE hat can be bomb. If you do faffles I think heca.

Neck: If you got the cash to waste ancient otherwise what he said.

Earrings: the same except I think minuet especially on ws and SA and even more so with roll/song up would beat a coral and for TA genin too for when you /nin. Which should be about always. If you want there is an earring set that gives 8 agi too. Easy mobs not too camped but horrible droprates.

body: ACP body can make a great tp peice if you need the acc with 10acc 3DW. Also makes a good SA or TA peice regardless of augments but really killer ws with 10acc/att. Denali for solo TA.

Hands: +1 if you can for tp. Denali for evasion tanking I'd say over warglove. Merman hands for SA or ws. Heca if you can get them. Depending race RSE might be good for SA TA and/or ws

Rings: Very dependent on your acc. snipers(+1) or toreadors good options for tp and ws. If you are TA or SAing low hit ws (Sharkbite man stab) stick with dex/agi as most or for manstab all your hits are garunteed. Also the 12acc/8 att set rings would be good. Get rajas when you can. If you can do without the acc without having to sacrifice haste str will really help your tp dps as 1 fstr does huge things for low dmg daggers.

Back: Foragers works. Cuchlain will be better acc and be better dmg anytime your pdif isn't super low.

Belt: speed/Vbelt if you can otherwise what he said. Though Cuchlain belt might be situationally good for ws or SA. Would have to do the math but yeah.

Legs: Hmmm yeah hard to buy for. Oily trousers are pretty good. 5dex/agi 5acc/racc. NOt cheap though. However enkidus legs are easy to get maybe heca if you can

Feet: yeah not alot of option. Dusk feet+1 aren't too bad in price and extra haste is nice. Depending race RSE might be good for SA TA and/or ws
 Odin.Dryzt
Server: Odin
user: Dryzt
By Odin.Dryzt 2010-02-19 10:47:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eeek said:
Oily trousers. It is buyable, but it's pricey and the ah rarely has any in stock (on my server anyway).

as for easily obtainable stuff, you can get Pahluwan seraweels pretty easily if you can get a solid Assault group together to spam the right missions. Denali kecks is a decent option too and easy to get if you get lucky on drop.

Also, Desultor tassets. I haven't started ASA yet but if it's anything like the first two add-ons it shouldn't be too hard, just a bit time consuming. If I were to gear it for my thf I'd either go with Haste +3% Accuracy +7 or accuracy +7 attack +7. the latter being more of a WS piece.
 Fairy.Spiriel
Server: Fairy
user: Spiriel
By Fairy.Spiriel 2010-02-19 10:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Not a THF, but chiming in. If you're on Three Paths (i.e., well beyond Diabolos,) then you have Dreamlands. Easiest places to flag the CS would be right outside of Mhaura in Buburimu, on your right as your exit town, or just north of the Op in Valkurm. Qufim is out northeast of the pond, just for completion's sake.