Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » simple gear for a simple player
simple gear for a simple player
 Ragnarok.Zephyran
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Zephyran
By Ragnarok.Zephyran 2010-02-18 04:38:26
Link | Quote | Reply

@Raenryong, way to be elitist I guess, OP doesn't like to gear swap, which is why I gave them that set as it's an all around set that would benefit them in TP (same gain as your precious Hauby+Rose Strap combo) and being superior for Sidewinder.

@Argettio, same as Raenryong, OP doesn't like to gear swap yatta yatta, and OP said they're landing their Sidewinders. And if you can land Sidewinders with the OP's current setup, you will land normal GKatana swings.

@Hitetsu, that's only if the OP was using Great Katana WS', which s/he's not. They're Sam/Rng, using Sidewinder. Hauby < Domaru for this very reason.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-02-18 04:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zephyran said:
@Hitetsu, that's only if the OP was using Great Katana, which s/he's not. They're Sam/Rng, using Sidewinder. Hauby < Domaru for this very reason.

OP said:
as it sits now im using

Weapon - Soboro
Sub - Rose Strap
Range - Shigeto Bow
Head - Walahra Turban (though i have an O-hat i could use)
Body - Hachiman
Hands - Hachiman
Legs - Hachiman
Feet - Hachiman
Neck - Chivalrous Chain
Belt - Saotome Koshi-ate
Back - Commander's Cape
Ear 1 - Storm Loop
Ear 2 - Spike Earring
ring - Thunder Ring

The OP is using a Great Katana. Therefore, Hauby > Domaru, overall because they'll still be melee'ing for TP.
Ragnarok.Zephyran said:
@Argettio, same as Raenryong, OP doesn't like to gear swap yatta yatta, and OP said they're landing their Sidewinders. And if you can land Sidewinders with the OP's current setup, you will land normal GKatana swings.

That's like saying, if I can land unresisted enfeebles on BLM with full enfeebling gear I can land unresisted nukes with full enfeebling gear.
 Ragnarok.Zephyran
By Ragnarok.Zephyran 2010-02-18 04:43:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I did a ninja edit to clarify, Great Katana WS'* as thats what you were talking about. Hauby being > Domaru for YGK.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-02-18 04:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zephyran said:
I did a ninja edit to clarify, Great Katana WS'* as that what you were talking about. Hauby being > Domaru for YGK.

No, I said SAM isn't based off WS damage, as so many SAM think. It's based off WS frequency (in other words, getting TP to use a WS). It just happens that they DO have the general highest damage because of the modifiers for the "power 3".
 Ragnarok.Zephyran
By Ragnarok.Zephyran 2010-02-18 04:45:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
That's like saying, if I can land unresisted enfeebles on BLM with full enfeebling gear I can land unresisted nukes with full enfeebling gear.
Did you just compare Enfeeblement and Elemental skill to A+ Great Katana skill and C+ Archery?
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-18 04:46:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zephyran said:
I did a ninja edit to clarify, Great Katana WS'* as thats what you were talking about. Hauby being > Domaru for YGK.

Hauby is not a WS piece.

It is a TP piece.

But if you are not going to swap gear then Hauby is the better option. As it is the best TP piece SAM can use (outside +1 and Usukane) and an ok WS (5th probably) piece.

Domaru is about the 10th best TP piece and the 3rd or 4th best WS piece.

So on balance hauby is a better full time piece.
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-02-18 04:47:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zephyran said:
Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Did you just compare Enfeeblement and Elemental skill to A Great Katana skill and C Archery?

You mean BLM's A+ Elemental Skill and C Enfeebling? Yes, yes I did.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-02-18 04:52:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
@Raenryong, way to be elitist I guess, OP doesn't like to gear swap, which is why I gave them that set as it's an all around set that would benefit them in TP (same gain as your precious Hauby+Rose Strap combo) and being superior for Sidewinder.

I am being elitist here I will admit, but also practical. If you don't gear swap, a SAM/RNG build will crash and burn because the hybridisation will absolutely murder it.
Quote:
No, I said SAM isn't based off WS damage, as so many SAM think. It's based off WS frequency (in other words, getting TP to use a WS).

^ this is the key distinction SO MANY SAMs miss.
[+]
 Hades.Kvazz
Server: Hades
user: kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-18 04:56:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Quote:
@Raenryong, way to be elitist I guess, OP doesn't like to gear swap, which is why I gave them that set as it's an all around set that would benefit them in TP (same gain as your precious Hauby Rose Strap combo) and being superior for Sidewinder.

I am being elitist here I will admit, but also practical. If you don't gear swap, a SAM/RNG build will crash and burn because the hybridisation will absolutely murder it.
Quote:
No, I said SAM isn't based off WS damage, as so many SAM think. It's based off WS frequency (in other words, getting TP to use a WS).

^ this is the key distinction SO MANY SAMs miss.

Most SAMs suck
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zephyran
By Ragnarok.Zephyran 2010-02-18 04:59:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
No, I said SAM isn't based off WS damage, as so many SAM think. It's based off WS frequency (in other words, getting TP to use a WS). It just happens that they DO have the general highest damage because of the modifiers for the "power 3".
Hmmm...

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
You mean BLM's A Elemental Skill and C Enfeebling? Yes, yes I did.
If you can land a WS that's inaccurate by default, using the OP's current gear, with a C+ skill. You can land normal melee with an A+ skill.

Hard to comprehend? Or do you still think their main weapon would miss more than their C+ weapon? Remember, we're talking about TP gain with ACC.

Kujata.Argettio said:
Hauby is not a WS piece.
Lol.

Ninja Edit: I don't think I'll ever be able to take Brit's seriously anymore thanks to you three, hahaha.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-02-18 05:03:16
Link | Quote | Reply

You said:
Rawrcat said:
Hauby is not a WS piece.

It is a TP piece.

Just so that quote isn't taken outside of context. Hauby isn't as good as Domaru/Osode/occasionallyByrnie+1 for Y/G/K!
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-18 05:03:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zephyran said:
Kujata.Argettio said:
Hauby is not a WS piece.
Lol.

OK as your going to be an *** about it and try and take my comments out of context just to 'score points'

* Hauby is good for all Multi-hit WS, And WS that can crit
* Hauby isn't good for Most single-hit WS (under most situations) or Ranged WS.

So in the context of SAM/RNG, Hauby isn't a WS piece.
[+]
 Asura.Artemicion
Server: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-18 05:04:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Best numbers i've seen have come from Bynire +1 amazingly. I think it has something to do with compensating that wide gap of additional STR with attack.

You know, the whole potatoes in the potato sack theory? Or in my case, tall beer glass with beer :3

Edit: Since there seems to be alot of miscommunication going around I'd like to clarify this post is speaking for Y/G/K,
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-02-18 05:05:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zephyran said:
Sylph.Hitetsu said:
You mean BLM's A Elemental Skill and C Enfeebling? Yes, yes I did.
If you can land a WS that's inaccurate by default, using the OP's current gear, with a C skill. You can land normal melee with an A skill.

Hard to comprehend? Or do you still think their main weapon would miss more than their C weapon? Remember, we're talking about TP gain with ACC.

So.. Let me get this right..

+100 Acc let's me hit reliably.
So, I can hit 95% of the time with -60 acc?

***, I've been doing SAM so wrong.. Thanks!
 Ramuh.Tousou
Server: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-02-18 05:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Jumping in with something completely unrelated...

To clarify, it's okay for me to TP in Haub and WeaponSkill in Domaru? Right? Cause if it's not, this Domaru is weighing me down <.<

That being said, I've got a question for the OP:

Why do you not like gear swapping? Do you type out your commands? Or do you select them through your menus?

I mean, if you're using macros, it isn't difficult to make even minimalist changes. For example

/ws "Sidewinder" <t>

Could be changed to:

/equip body "Hachiman Domaru"
/ws "Sidewinder" <t>
/wait 1
/equip body "Haubergeon"

inb4 "Youranelitistassholeandshouldlevelsamuraiohwai-!"
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-02-18 05:14:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Tousou said:
To clarify, it's okay for me to TP in Haub and WeaponSkill in Domaru? Right? Cause if it's not, this Domaru is weighing me down <.<

That's what I do. SAM isn't my main job by any stretch, so I'm not buying it an osode yet >_> It also let's me be a little more flexible in the STP I use in my TP setup.
 Ragnarok.Zephyran
By Ragnarok.Zephyran 2010-02-18 05:14:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
Ragnarok.Zephyran said:
Kujata.Argettio said:
Hauby is not a WS piece.
Lol.

OK as your going to be an *** about it and try and take my comments out of context just to 'score points'

* Hauby is good for all Multi-hit WS, And WS that can crit
* Hauby isn't good for Most single-hit WS (under most situations) or Ranged WS.

So in the context of SAM/RNG, Hauby isn't a WS piece.
Out of context? I took that literally. You said it is not a WS piece, I Lol'd 'cause I've been under the impression you've been pulling things out of your arse the entire time. And now you say it is after I Lol'd at that comment.

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
So.. Let me get this right..

+100 Acc let's me hit reliably.
So, I can hit 95% of the time with -60 acc?

***, I've been doing SAM so wrong.. Thanks!
Sorry, I didn't notice the OP had -60 acc, could you point that out to me? Thanks.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-02-18 05:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Generally on Tachi: Gekko, your effective attack and accuracy will both be capped on ~merit level or below mobs without any further substantial buffs. Then it just comes down to 5~6 STR vs 8STR :p

You can also cap Attack on higher level stuff but this requires a Bard typically (/war helps too). If you are ever not capping Attack on Y/G/K, Byrnie+1 becomes your best WS body. Accuracy will always be capped on just about anything as long as you are not debuffed.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-02-18 05:18:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Out of context? I took that literally.

Which is what "out of context" means. Context is important...
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-18 05:20:19
Link | Quote | Reply

@Zephyran

It was a literal comment based on SAM/RNG.

It wasn't a general comment about the usefulness of Hauby.

Hitetsu's comment was about the skill difference and going from a 2handed weapon to a ranged weapon causing a large net loss in accuracy.

@ Tousou

Edit: What Raen said
 Ragnarok.Zephyran
By Ragnarok.Zephyran 2010-02-18 05:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
I read it literally because that's how Argettio worded it. Word it better if you want to get your point across.
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-18 05:22:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zephyran said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
I read it literally because that's how Argettio worded it. Word it better if you want to get your point across.

I worded it that way, because we are in a thread about SAM/RNG.

The thread defines the context.

If you lol at my comment then that means you thing hauby is a WS piece for SAM/RNG... That's a nice turn up for the books.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-02-18 05:26:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
You said:

Rawrcat said:
Hauby is not a WS piece.

It is a TP piece.

There is the full quote, IN context. Since my fellow British cat is responding to your quote, this can be read as:

"Hauby is not a WS piece for Y/G/K. It is a TP piece".
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zephyran
By Ragnarok.Zephyran 2010-02-18 05:26:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Aha ha ha, now looks like I can say you took my "Lol" out of context, oh you sly goose you.
 Ramuh.Tousou
Server: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-02-18 05:27:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks guys. I'll likely upgrade to Osode if I ever get enough money or do more sky. Still no luck on Tuch for Hagun yet either ; ;

Ya'll have fun... I'm looking forward to the OP's response to my question.
 Asura.Artemicion
Server: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-18 05:29:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Rae, any word on my previous post about Byrnie +1 outdoing Osode and my beer mug (str) and beer (attack) theory?
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-02-18 05:38:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Byrnie+1 will outdo Osode if Attack is not capped during Y/G/K, generally (and why it always does for Kaiten which does not have such an attack boost)~ "x2 Attack" suddenly becomes a big deal if not capped since Byrnie+1 is giving you ~50, which is HUGE.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-02-18 05:38:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ugh, that sucked.. Site R0 and lost my post ._.

I ran some quick numbers through FFXI Calc after I re-looked at the OP's gear.. I'm scared to see "unreliable" after I did.

This is based off Greater Colibri, a typical merit PT mob. From my experience, Dyna mobs seem to have around the same sort of Evasion. Though I've only gone to dyna as DD a handful of times.

Assumed value for base AGI as I have no idea.

Ninja Edit: Changed wording on that last line so it's only for base AGI. I worked off memory on the +Agi, so I might be off a little there too, still not going to be life changing.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-02-18 05:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6984

:)
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-18 05:43:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Artemicion said:
Rae, any word on my previous post about Byrnie 1 outdoing Osode and my beer mug (str) and beer (attack) theory?

I am not sure about your analogy. But it comes down to capping ratio (att/def). Once ratio is capped, STR is the only way to increase damage

All the big three SAM GKT WS have a large attack boost which is likely to cap ratio on most mobs 'weak' mobs (read: merit, limbus, nyzul etc), therefore in this situation STR is the way to go.

On higher level mobs (HNMs) capping attack can be more difficult so attack still gives and increase in damage. At this point things like Byrnie +1 make sense (large amounts of attack and still a decent amount of STR).

The exact relationship between ratio and pdif isn't fully understood (but people are theory crafting about atm), so it is difficult to be exact about where the turning point is.