Final Fantasy XI to shut down
First Page 2
 Alexander.Garlend
Server: Alexander
Game: FFXI
user: Garlend
By Alexander.Garlend 2010-02-18 00:44:58
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.vg247.com/2010/02/17/report-final-fantasy-xi-to-close-this-year-to-make-room-for-ffxiv/

check it out

http://screwattack.com/videos/Hard-News-021710
 Siren.Eagleeyes
Server: Siren
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-02-18 00:46:49
Link | Quote | Reply

lol nice source

edit: lol even the source from this site has the tag "rumor" on it.

Alexander.Garlend
By Alexander.Garlend 2010-02-18 00:47:58
Link | Quote | Reply

its being reported all over the place.
 Seraph.Pikachu
Server: Seraph
user: chuuuuu
By Seraph.Pikachu 2010-02-18 00:48:17
Link | Quote | Reply

there are going to be alot of these threads D:
 Siren.Eagleeyes
Server: Siren
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-02-18 00:50:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Garlend said:

once again it's all rumors/speculation.

Square shutting down FFXI now would be stupid. the japanese players won't leave FFXI just because XIV was released. like so many of us are crying about

edit: i've also seen no sign of these rumors on jp gaming sites. only english, hell it's never even been mentioned on 2ch.
 Seraph.Doebie
user: Doebie
By Seraph.Doebie 2010-02-18 04:26:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally doubt I'll play ff14, not starting over playing a mmo with SE in charge. I'll keep paying for ff11 every month though lol And I feel I am not the only one who feels this way, so SE would be dumb to close ff11 servers down.
[+]
 Asura.Artemicion
Server: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-18 04:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Until SE makes a public announcement confirming it, it's ***. Nuff said.
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-02-18 04:36:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Garlend said:

I could make a few posts in different places that FF15 is in production and will feature 10 people from the general public as part of their voice acting team with character models based off them, get some sexy coverage, and then people would believe it.

Right?
[+]
 Ramuh.Tousou
Server: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-02-18 04:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
I could make a few posts in different places that FF15 is in production and will feature 10 people from the general public as part of their voice acting team with character models based off them, get some sexy coverage, and then people would believe it.

Right?

You could, but the difference here is that someone who works for SE said it, not just some bum off the street.

However, it just sounds more like he was trying to pump everyone up for the road they're about to travel. Either that, or he's just a suit that has no idea what's going on.

The greatest part about all this... "SE said this this and this! SE would never lie to us!"
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-18 04:51:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like Sage Sundi prior to ToAU's release. I recall a few interviews with him promising a handful of low level content. ToAU brought none.
 Alexander.Garlend
By Alexander.Garlend 2010-02-18 05:01:05
Link | Quote | Reply

The greatest part about all this... "SE said this this and this! SE would never lie to us!"[/quote]

lol ya cause they've never done that before. No game company ever ever lies. lol
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-18 05:01:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Still waiting on promised avatars from 2007 fan fest...
[+]
 Seraph.Xdudemanx
user: xdudemanx
By Seraph.Xdudemanx 2010-02-18 05:08:48
Link | Quote | Reply

as long as people continue to play ffxi i doubt the server will shut down...i mean even if population goes down..wouldnt they just do massive server merges?...ultima online is still up i think?....it just doesnt make sense to me that SE would make a final fantasy game unplayable...just have to play the waiting game and see what happens when 14 comes out
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-02-18 05:10:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Tousou said:
Sylph.Hitetsu said:

Right?

You could, but the difference here is that someone who works for SE said it, not just some bum off the street.

The thing is, I could easily write under an assumed name >.> So, you know.. I'm Edward Baker of the EU SE branch and I received a memo saying all that =)

Everyone, rush to fill in your application forms!
 Seraph.Xdudemanx
user: xdudemanx
By Seraph.Xdudemanx 2010-02-18 05:15:22
Link | Quote | Reply

if a human resources person from burger king said they were gonna take the whopper off the menu would u believe them?
[+]
 Ramuh.Tousou
Server: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-02-18 05:17:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Point taken, but for the sake of argument: *** you Edward! Your newsletters are annoying! Stop saying ***that gets our hopes, then crashing them!
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-18 05:18:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't surprise me if this was merely a ploy to see how many people would freak out and panic to find out how many people still play/give a ***about FFXI.

If so, they were quite successful lol.
Otherwise SE can expect a future forecast of:

Seraph.Kyaaadaa
user: Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2010-02-18 05:43:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I think I'd roll a toon on FFXIV, but continue to play FFXI. Given the information on FFXIV, the gameplay is going to be different, and I know everyone gets burned out once in a while from a game and needs to take a break, why not just hop over to the other game and see what's what. If SE's smart (omfg I can't believe I said that) they'll straggle updated content so something is new for people to bounce back and forth, example:
February: New avatars for FFXI
March: New jobs for FFXIV
April: New gear for FFXI
May: New areas for FFXIV
Etc:
That way people can people can get a dose of new stuff. Obviously some periods would have no content to allow players to catch up and advance in what already exists, but you get the point.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-02-18 05:47:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Tousou said:
*** you Edward! Your newsletters are annoying! Stop saying ***that gets our hopes, then crashing them!

That made me laugh way too much.. XD

I'll play FF14 for a bit and see what it's like. If I like it, I may drop my FF11 playtime a little, though I'd hate to leave it completely.. Still so much for me to do!
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
user: Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2010-02-18 05:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
I may drop my FF11 playtime a little, though I'd hate to leave it completely.. Still so much for me to do!
I agree, just getting some of the new items, not delving into evoliths like I want, more NMs to kill, more gear and gil to get, completely leaving seems out of the question.
 Quetzalcoatl.Stantz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Fonzie
By Quetzalcoatl.Stantz 2010-02-18 06:16:16
Link | Quote | Reply

What about the rumor of the release being 4th quarter 2010 for ff14? If you believe every thing you read on the interweb, well that doesn't leave much to say about how you draw a conclusion now does it?
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2010-02-18 06:28:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I will be playing both XI (if the rumours of it's demise are false) and XIV, I don't see why it has to be one or the other.

*edited for spelling*
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-18 06:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I have been playing for 2.5 years and this is the 3rd time SE have 'announced' they will shut down the servers.

First it was when 'rapture' was announced.
Then it was when 'rapture' turned out to be FFXIV
And now.

The story hasn't changed. It is always because the game is dead and SE are putting their resources else where.

I am gonna call BS on it all.

Yes one day in the future SE will shut the servers down, but they aren't going to do it just because FFXIV is coming out.
 Asura.Xenophire
user: Xenophire
By Asura.Xenophire 2010-02-18 06:36:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Artemicion said:
Until SE makes a public announcement confirming it, it's ***. Nuff said.
 Seraph.Jacon
user: lvicious
By Seraph.Jacon 2010-02-18 06:40:05
Link | Quote | Reply

"*** news, was an interview with SE last week in a Japanese magazine with the Head Producer, saying they will keep supporting both, and that they are already working on more content for FFXI…"

and why even make another thread on this when there is one already started. look around next time before spazzing out to be first to post up the horrid news.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-02-18 06:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Xdudemanx said:
if a human resources person from burger king said they were gonna take the whopper off the menu would u believe them?
If those idiotic health freaks can, they will. So BK won't have the Whopper anymore unless they cut the calories to 10 :o

Stupid health freaks.

Anyways, it's Square-enix. They like to put downers on everyone (i.e. FF13 many people don't like it, but i know i'll love it.)
 Asura.Caryl
user: Carly23
By Asura.Caryl 2010-02-18 07:23:11
Link | Quote | Reply

aww some guys will commit sucide if they can't sit with a female char in game.. Maybe its time for some of the sad losers that drool over a char to get a life and meet real girls not cartoon ones.

Cerberus.Kalyna
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-02-18 07:37:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Caryl said:
aww some guys will commit sucide if they can't sit with a female char in game.. Maybe its time for some of the sad losers that drool over a char to get a life and meet real girls not cartoon ones.

I'm glad many people that are like that wouldn't go as far as MARRYING a cartoon girl. (lol loveplus)
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Server: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2010-02-18 07:42:50
Link | Quote | Reply

to all the people who're saying SE has a history of being dumb so you wouldn't be surprised if they really did it:

why a company would shut down one of two competing products that they both own is beyond me... think about the two stripper clubs downtown, next to each others, with a guy in front of each door telling you to come to their place and that the other's suck... well guess what, both belong to the same owner... >.>

Pampers VS Huggies is another good example of a guy owning two companies offering the same thing and still not shutting one down... why because it brings money in, and money is the whole point

When you have two products competing, there is no logical reason for you to shut down one of them, as long as they're both profitable...

You can say SE is stupid and make no sense and all, that's because you're used to see how they handle FF11 and don't give you new avatars and ***and it pisses you off

but from a financial standpoint, keep in mind they're one of the most profitable companies in Japan, they're not as stupid as you think, in fact, if you're so smart, why don't you make a successful company and compete with them
[+]
 Seraph.Sinner
user: sinner
By Seraph.Sinner 2010-02-18 07:49:34
Link | Quote | Reply

stripper analogies for the win^
[+]
First Page 2